ADVERTISEMENT

UNC is aiming for Cameron Johnson

I guess I'm somewhat on the fence. I love the idea of adding an experienced player that can knock down outside shots but at the same time I'm not sure who loses minutes and potential development from this. We are loaded at the 1-3 positions and he adds another body to that rotation. Whatever minutes he gets will take from BRob, Seventh, Jalek and Kenny but if he proves to be more ready then so be it.

I guess I'm somewhat on the fence. I love the idea of adding an experienced player that can knock down outside shots but at the same time I'm not sure who loses minutes and potential development from this. We are loaded at the 1-3 positions and he adds another body to that rotation. Whatever minutes he gets will take from BRob, Seventh, Jalek and Kenny but if he proves to be more ready then so be it.

Did you feel the same way about Knox?

We are going to need outside shooting, this player can do that and then some. As for minutes played, Roy always manages that part well enough that chemistry does not suffer. If, Kevin Knox had chosen us, he would have taken the same floor time that Cameron will be getting and we'd be getting a better player than KK.

Didn't really care too much if we got Knox. Our biggest need from 2017 was impact post players. As to whether we were successful with that, I'll just leave that topic alone.

Well if Tony leaves, we may have to play with a smaller lineup. I don't see how an experienced 6'8 wing could be a negative.

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
Well if Tony leaves, we may have to play with a smaller lineup. I don't see how an experienced 6'8 wing could be a negative.
I don't disagree and never said it would be a negative. I simply stated that I am on the fence... I'd be okay with or without him.

I don't disagree and never said it would be a negative. I simply stated that I am on the fence... I'd be okay with or without him.

I see what your saying. I wonder too, since he has 2 years left how it would effect 2018 recruiting class. We've been looking at a few wings (Williamson, Hamilton, Little, Hoard)..

Assuming CJ plays mostly at SF and some at PF, the only player he really "threatens" is Brandon. But unless Brandon puts on a lot of muscle and rediscovers his outside shot, this may be a blessing in disguise because it allows him more time to get there. Of course it pushes Brandon to compete at SG - where we already have a logjam. So there could be a ripple effect at that position. But we are already in a "let the best man win" situation there.

If Tony leaves, the extra 2 inches and 20 pound (Johnson over Brandon) could be quite important for us.

Since we'll know about Tony this coming week, my guess is that Johnson waits for Tony's decision. If Tony comes back, Johnson may not see as much playing time as he wants. But if Tony leaves, he should see that time.

Theo will be gone the following year, so then we'd have Cameron to step in as an experienced senior, or possibly playing some PF, and there should be plenty of PT for Brandon,too. Joel will also be gone, so some of those guys who may be competing for PT at SG this season, will be able to split up his minutes.

The main losers, if any, are likely to be Rush and Aaron, who might be able to pick up a handful of meaningful minutes if Tony leaves and we don't add anyone to the roster.

I see what your saying. I wonder too, since he has 2 years left how it would effect 2018 recruiting class. We've been looking at a few wings (Williamson, Hamilton, Little, Hoard)..
I'm just guessing, of course, but I don't see us getting Zion. Hamilton has been able to commit for a long time and he hasn't shown the kind of interest I'd like to see. I don't know where we stand with the others. Do we even have offers out to them?

In any case, unless it causes scholarship problems, I don't see having Cameron on board being an issue. The guys we are looking at aren't OADs. So playing behind Cameron for just 1 year shouldn't matter.

We are loaded 1-3?

We have a top shelf point guard and a top shelf defender/jack of all trades/non shooter at the 2. We then have a collection of unproven yet able bodied returning in Williams, robinson and woods. Toss in Felton who's a fresh and we have a good group but NOT loaded by any means. We NEED another scorer. I don't care what position they play. We can find minutes for anybody who can put the ball in the hoop.

Reactions: Steat
If Cam plays here, he is playing the 2 most likely. Or we go small ball with a lineup of like Berry Felton Johnson Pinson Bradley?

Johnson does not play in the post and Pinson is our 3 in a traditional lineup.

That is ofc if Johnson even would start, but I do suppose he is not going to go to a school he is not gonna play big minutes for.

If Cam plays here, he is playing the 2 most likely. Or we go small ball with a lineup of like Berry Felton Johnson Pinson Bradley?

That is ofc if Johnson even would start, but I do suppose he is not going to go to a school he is not gonna play big minutes for.

Why is Maye being left out?

Why is Maye being left out?
Because if we small ball, Maye is not going to play the 5. Bradley is gonna start and Maye would play the 4. That's our "big" lineup.

Btw, I have not seen a single thing that says Pitt is waiving that requirement. I searched 4 forums and not even a whiff of that. So not sure where that rumor was heard from. Most ppl in my area don't even realize UNC wants Cam Johnson, but most are also in like Pitt Basketball shock at the massive amount of turnover. They are more interested in Stallings buyout rumors than Johnson. Lol

Because if we small ball, Maye is not going to play the 5. Bradley is gonna start and Maye would play the 4. That's our "big" lineup.

Btw, I have not seen a single thing that says Pitt is waiving that requirement. I searched 4 forums and not even a whiff of that. So not sure where that rumor was heard from. Most ppl in my area don't even realize UNC wants Cam Johnson, but most are also in like Pitt Basketball shock at the massive amount of turnover. They are more interested in Stallings buyout rumors than Johnson. Lol

I have seen one report that Pitt has waived the one year waiver. You may see Cam visit the Heels quickly after the dead period ends on May 27th and commit to the Heels regardless of Bradley's decision.

I have seen one report that Pitt has waived the one year waiver. You may see Cam visit the Heels quickly after the dead period ends on May 27th and commit to the Heels regardless of Bradley's decision.
Where is the link cuz not a single news item has that reported anywhere.

Reactions: RoseHeel

Source? I saw someone in the thread say so, but can't find anything firsthand.

Cam Johnson did say that Roy was going to try and get that waived. With Roy's relationship with Stallings, I can see it happening.

Here is what I got.

1. First, take a look at the ACC rule of conference transfers. Note the graduate exception.

2. Take a look at this link. http://chapelboro.com/sports/chanskys-notebook-unc-shock-world

3. As with any information most people get from so-called sources it could be wrong. That's all I will say. Has Johnson been admitted to UNC's graduate program? Umm..hint?

4. There is no restriction. It's down to protocal. Can Stallings stop through grandstanding? Possibly, but doubt it.

Atlantic Coast Conference

Article VI. RULES OF ELIGIBILITY APPLICABLE TO ALL SPORTS

Section VI-2. Intra-Conference Transfer Rule.

A student-athlete who transfers directly to an ACC institution from another ACC institution and who was recruited by the institution from which they are transferring, for whom the athletics department interceded in the admissions process, or who received any athletically related financial aid during the academic year immediately prior to the transfer is required to complete one (1) academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) of residency at the certifying ACC institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive athletically related financial aid from the certifying institution. Such an academic year of residency shall count as one of the student-athlete’s four (4) permissible seasons of competition permitted under NCAA legislation. During such a year of residency, the student-athlete is permitted to practice pursuant to NCAA eligibility rules regarding practice eligibility. A transfer student-athlete admitted after the twelfth day of class may not utilize that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency. Waivers of this ACC rule may be considered by the ACC faculty athletics representatives, acting as a committee of the whole, provided the student-athlete has qualified for an exception or waiver of the NCAA four-year college transfer rule. Further, the waiver request must demonstrate objective evidence that proves the student-athlete’s extraordinary personal hardship necessitates the transfer to another ACC institution. (Revised: February 2006, October 2008)

a. GRADUATION EXCEPTION. A student-athlete who receives a baccalaureate degree at one member institution and who has been admitted into a degree program at another member institution may transfer to another member institution without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. NCAA transfer regulations would apply. (Revised: February 2006)

Here is what I got.

1. First, take a look at the ACC rule of conference transfers. Note the graduate exception.

2. Take a look at this link. http://chapelboro.com/sports/chanskys-notebook-unc-shock-world

3. As with any information most people get from so-called sources it could be wrong. That's all I will say. Has Johnson been admitted to UNC's graduate program? Did I say that? LOL

4. There is no restriction. It's down to protocal. Can Stallings stop through grandstanding? Possibly, but doubt it.

Atlantic Coast Conference

Article VI. RULES OF ELIGIBILITY APPLICABLE TO ALL SPORTS

Section VI-2. Intra-Conference Transfer Rule.

A student-athlete who transfers directly to an ACC institution from another ACC institution and who was recruited by the institution from which they are transferring, for whom the athletics department interceded in the admissions process, or who received any athletically related financial aid during the academic year immediately prior to the transfer is required to complete one (1) academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) of residency at the certifying ACC institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive athletically related financial aid from the certifying institution. Such an academic year of residency shall count as one of the student-athlete’s four (4) permissible seasons of competition permitted under NCAA legislation. During such a year of residency, the student-athlete is permitted to practice pursuant to NCAA eligibility rules regarding practice eligibility. A transfer student-athlete admitted after the twelfth day of class may not utilize that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency. Waivers of this ACC rule may be considered by the ACC faculty athletics representatives, acting as a committee of the whole, provided the student-athlete has qualified for an exception or waiver of the NCAA four-year college transfer rule. Further, the waiver request must demonstrate objective evidence that proves the student-athlete’s extraordinary personal hardship necessitates the transfer to another ACC institution. (Revised: February 2006, October 2008)

a. GRADUATION EXCEPTION. A student-athlete who receives a baccalaureate degree at one member institution and who has been admitted into a degree program at another member institution may transfer to another member institution without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. NCAA transfer regulations would apply. (Revised: February 2006)
Yeah. That is already known about graduate transfers. But it is whether Stallings is going to allow him without sitting out a year. People keep saying there is rumors or it has been reported they are letting him when there seems to be no information corroborating that.

Bradley will not be here.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Did you feel the same way about Knox?

There were other reasons to want Knox. No one is questioning Roy's ability to get a random grad transfer. Getting elite OAD type guys is a legit concern right now if you want those sort of guys.

Yeah. That is already known about graduate transfers. But it is whether Stallings is going to allow him without sitting out a year. People keep saying there is rumors or it has been reported they are letting him when there seems to be no information corroborating that.

Some dude on a premium site said it.

I assume he won't come here without the expectation of starting or at least playing starter minutes. He can presumably do that at other schools, so why come here to play a lesser role.

I've seen Theo play SG, SF and even some PF. Unlike some here, I don't think playing him at PF is a particularly good idea, although in certain situations it has worked well enough. But he can be a star for us at either wing position.

Is Johnson better at SG or SF? How much does it really matter. Often in our system, it doesn't seem to matter. Depends on the personnel. Obviously with someone like Marcus at SG and Justin at SF, there's a pretty big difference. But with, say, Reggie and PJ or Harrison and Reggie or Theo and Justin, the difference is vanishingly small.

I just watched this clip. For 3/4 of it I was wondering if he did anything except wait for the pass and then shoot 3-pointers. But the last part is drives and he looks good at that, too.

He's #23. That has to means something, doesn't it?

IN the 2014 class he was a 3-star SG, ranked #267 and listed at 6'6 195. Last season Pomeroy lists him at 6'8 210. That's 2 inches taller and basically the same weight as Theo.

From the clip, he looks too scrawny to play PF, but quite suitable at SF.

I didn't get any sense of his defensive abilities from the clip.

Gotta feel sorry for Stallings. With Johnson leaving, that's his entire starting lineup gone.

He has 5 guys coming in to replace them, but they are all 3-star guys and only 1 is even in the top 200.

They could be next year's cellar-dweller.

I saw this posted on another site. Supposedly the official word from Pitt. If so, he isn't coming to UNC. Or if he does, he will have to sit out a year.

"We have remained consistent with our athletic department policy, within NCAA legislation, stipulating student-athletes are restricted from transferring to institutions within the Atlantic Coast Conference and those on our schedule over the next season. Cameron Johnson and his father were informed of our policy as well as the appeals process when they elected to seek to transfer. They went through our transfer appeals process and were granted permission to contact ACC schools however, the committee upheld the policy to limit immediate eligibility within the conference. If Cameron were to transfer within the ACC, he would be eligible to receive financial aid immediately but would have to sit out a year of competition due to standard NCAA transfer regulations. Throughout this process, we have remained consistent to our department policy and we will continue to do so. "

I saw this posted on another site. Supposedly the official word from Pitt. If so, he isn't coming to UNC. Or if he does, he will have to sit out a year.

"We have remained consistent with our athletic department policy, within NCAA legislation, stipulating student-athletes are restricted from transferring to institutions within the Atlantic Coast Conference and those on our schedule over the next season. Cameron Johnson and his father were informed of our policy as well as the appeals process when they elected to seek to transfer. They went through our transfer appeals process and were granted permission to contact ACC schools however, the committee upheld the policy to limit immediate eligibility within the conference. If Cameron were to transfer within the ACC, he would be eligible to receive financial aid immediately but would have to sit out a year of competition due to standard NCAA transfer regulations. Throughout this process, we have remained consistent to our department policy and we will continue to do so. "

I saw this also, but this conflicts with the GRADUATION EXCEPTION. Something does not add up. I don't think this is dead yet. If Johnson enrolls in UNC's graduate program it appears he would be eligible to play immediately. I guess we will find out within the next few days.

I saw this also, but this conflicts with the GRADUATION EXCEPTION. Something does not add up. I don't think this is dead yet. If Johnson enrolls in UNC's graduate program it appears he would be eligible to play immediately. I guess we will find out within the next few days.

The most recent statement from Pitt stands firm on the 1-year sit-out rule if he transfers within the ACC, which if it holds up, will likely make all this a moot point.

Take a look at the NCAA Eligibility Center Rules at the following link:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE42016.pdf

On Page 14 it lists the Exception Rules as follows:

FOUR-YEAR TRANSFER GUIDE

TRANSFER EXCEPTIONS FOR DIVISIONS I AND II SCHOOLS
If you transfer from a four-year school to an NCAA Division I or II school, you may use an exception to compete immediately if you meet one of the following conditions:

1.This is your first transfer
2.You return to your first school without participating in sports at the second school
3.Your sport is dropped or is not sponsored at your current school
4. You never have been recruited
5. You have not participated in your sport for two years

Cam may fall under # 4 which states:

4. You have never been recruited

If you have not been recruited by the Division I or II school you plan to attend,
you may use an exception to compete immediately if you meet the following
conditions:

• You have not received an athletics scholarship.
• You have not practiced for more than 14 consecutive days or competed
in intercollegiate sports.
• You have been recruited if a college coach calls you more than once,
contacts you off campus, pays your expenses to visit the campus or, in
Divisions I and II, issues you a National Letter of Intent or a written offer
of financial aid.

Unless I'm missing something, if ALL of these conditions are applicable, it appears that Johnson can play immediately as a walk-on. Pitt denial probably pertains to receiving a scolly. I don't think this is dead yet.

How high up on the wish list does Cameron place the op to play at UNC . . ? Is it worth his while to push this and take up a legal option & challenge Pitt's position . . ? From all accounts that I've seen or heard, we were likely his favorite destination . .

:(

I was under the impression a graduate transfer was eligible immediately if the school he transfers to doesn't have a program that his previously school offers..... Maybe that is the hold-up that gives Pitt the option to put restrictions on him??

It may take another week, but Cam is headed to UNC. Jay Bilas, Seth Davis (of all people) and Seth Greenberg are all over twitter denouncing Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT