ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA reportedly headed to Big 10.

Next on the horizon, I see, the teams of those two conferences that aren't in the playoff, will seed the conference and play head to head. Getting rid of the bowl games..
I'm all for getting rid of the bowl games. Expand the playoffs to eight. Use the big bowls for the matchups and the rest can go. They are unnecessary and meaningless. Glorified scrimmages. At the very least the qualifications for a bowl should be set at eight wins.

I'm all for getting rid of the bowl games. Expand the playoffs to eight. Use the big bowls for the matchups and the rest can go. They are unnecessary and meaningless. Glorified scrimmages. At the very least the qualifications for a bowl should be set at eight wins.
I have no problem with the Podunk Bowl taking whoever they want. A paycheck for a smaller program and a chance for their fans to celebrate a little. ND isn't joining the ACC anyway but expanding the playoffs to eight (or more) just cements that since a conference affiliation for them becomes less important. The big question for ND is what happens to their schedule with the B1G and SEC going large. Will USC or any Power 2 school still face them while playing a full conference schedule?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I have no problem with the Podunk Bowl taking whoever they want. A paycheck for a smaller program and a chance for their fans to celebrate a little. ND isn't joining the ACC anyway but expanding the playoffs to eight (or more) just cements that since a conference affiliation for them becomes less important. The big question for ND is what happens to their schedule with the B1G and SEC going large. Will USC or any Power 2 school still face them while playing a full conference schedule?
ND is going to have to join the Big at some point. The scheduling issues, like you mentioned, and the money will force them to. They don't want to end up playing mostly lower level teams and they can't stay competitive against that type of money.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I was just told that Oregon and Washington were turned down. The BIG says they're standing pat.

I was just told that Oregon and Washington were turned down. The BIG says they're standing pat.
For now. They would take Notre Dame at any time. And if they line up enough Fox money yo be the one and only truly national conference, they will take Oregon and Washington.

Given what I've read, it seems there are two things that may happen: either the ACC creates some weird tv partnership with the Pac, or the Pac gets poached by the Big 12 and becomes the clear #3 conference. Everything seems to indicate the latter being more likely.

Right now, I think the ACC is screwed. The Big 12 has the benefit of a little geography on its side when it negotiates with Pac schools. Unfortunately for the ACC, it's hemmed in by the B1G and SEC. No school from either of those is jumping. It doesn't make sense for a Big 12 school to jump at this point to a conference as weak as the ACC. And the Pac won't work as part of the conference, and it's hard to see how the TV contract would make sense.

I could see a Clemson or FSU simply paying out the contract and bolting for the SEC if they are asked. If they don't, they may just create a verbal agreement to leave at some date in a decade or less, and pay out the remaining at that time.

In nearly every scenario I play out, the ACC is kaput as we know it.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I could see a Clemson or FSU simply paying out the contract and bolting for the SEC if they are asked. If they don't, they may just create a verbal agreement to leave at some date in a decade or less, and pay out the remaining at that time.
I think the most likely scenario is a bunch of ACC schools leave at the same time and challenge the GofR in court or agree to a settlement. I could see UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, ND and maybe duke leaving together.

I have a graduate degree and a wife from Chapel Hill, Rutgers undergrad, worked at UW-Madison, and have a son who graduated USC and is now at UCLA SO this all is of interest to me.

You guys are screwed.

When it comes to determining which teams to add and negotiating TV contracts the B1G clearly got the better UNC grad in Jim Delany. Rutgers and Maryland added much much more financially to the B1G then Boston College, Syracuse, VT, and Miami added to the ACC.

Let me add that in the next TV contract each B1G school will probably be getting over $100,000,000 per year.

Last edited:
I agree with most of that but I don't see how it impacts the future! I'm sure you are the only one who anticipated that Miami would fall off the football map and the others would underperform in both major sports! It must be nice to have perfect foresight while the rest of us call this hindsight! In addition, we have discussed the amount of money many times already but thanks for the info. UNC as a basketball brand that makes money and a football team that adds enough to fund all of its sports will be fine even if we don't join a super conference. The only question in this is whether the football team would ever reach the playoffs and for us, this has always been a secondary concern! BUT, it is clear that one of the supers will accept UNC if we pursue it so.....it all becomes moot!

Question: Is this an attempt to brag or troll? It has some trollish elements, but it is hard to tell!

I appreciate your honesty and pity you for being so shallow! It might be good to remember that UNC has not and will not ever NEED football to be a national brand, but the rest of the football world should be as nervous as you appear to be once they realize that UNC is starting to care about the sport! I apologize since UNC must have spanked your team's tail pretty hard for you to spend so much time on our site!

I wonder how you will be able to handle it, if UNC joins one of the supers and then proceeds to spank your team twice a year!

Reactions: Heels5150
Miami would fall off the football map and the others would underperform in both major sports!
And that's the biggest downfall of the ACC. Miami and VT were brought in because they were seen as big time football schools and it was going to help raise the conference football profile. Miami and FSU were put in separate divisions because a Miami vs FSU championship game would bring in high ratings. Instead, Miami and VT have become average at best, FSU has fallen off a cliff and other than Clemson, no one else has stepped up. If Miami, VT and FSU are still playing at a high level this isn't a conversation.

Nobody could have anticipated FSU, Miami, VT, and to a lesser extent BC becoming essentially irrelevant in football at the same time! At the time, I questioned bringing all of them except FSU into the ACC. I thought of it as a football only move and didn't think the ACC needed to risk diluting basketball. We are in a new world, but I still think UNC is largely immune to many of the issues!

Read a decent article pointing out how the ACC was one of the leaders in ruthlessly raiding the Big East, hey that's buisness, and now the shoe is on the other foot.

I would add Notre Dame fans who shake their fist at the SEC's unfair power advantage, but shrugged their shoulders with their game changing individual national NBC deal, crack me up. As in most cases it's okay even plain smart when you do it, but wrong or wicked when "they" do it to you.

College sports has been a HUGE multi-billion dollar behemoth forever,(University of Chicago football story dealt with this on both ends starting over a 100 years ago ). Nothing new here in this age, just different big buisness actors and amounts being made.

I find it funny that much like with the NIL changes, those who manipulated the sports for enormous school and PERSONAL profit, power, and national prestige are now often the loudest to decry the greed and evils of others doing likewise.

And that's the biggest downfall of the ACC. Miami and VT were brought in because they were seen as big time football schools and it was going to help raise the conference football profile. Miami and FSU were put in separate divisions because a Miami vs FSU championship game would bring in high ratings. Instead, Miami and VT have become average at best, FSU has fallen off a cliff and other than Clemson, no one else has stepped up. If Miami, VT and FSU are still playing at a high level this isn't a conversation.
That's where all this timing is so bad. Miami and FSU will definitely be national players again at some point - too much tradition, and too much of a recruiting base not to. But the reorganization is happening during a big dip in both programs (and to an extent VT, though they seemed more a blip program to me).

If Miami and FSU went on runs similar to their '80s and '90s runs - which was clearly expected - then the ACC would not only be set, but could be raiding the SEC or B1G for schools. Instead, it was bad play at a bad time.

Thems the breaks I guess.

The interesting one is the B1G getting so much power. The play out of the Big 10 really hasn't been that great. They have also seen a dip in most their programs, to say nothing of the slew of issues with them (e.g. PSU, OSU, etc.). The difference is really two fold: one, they marketed themselves way better, and two, they have better fans than the ACC top-to-bottom thanks to the ACC stupidly bulking up on all the northeast schools that have no football history or quality.

Big East says “karma“ to the conference that started all this.
Big East says that, but the reality is this type of thing has been going on for ages. The Big 12 was the Big 8, the ACC was much smaller at one time. South Carolina jumped ship decades ago. Etc. It's just now it seems far more financially focused with no consideration for anything other than football money. Rivalries, fan experience, etc. are all non-factors. It's going to ultimately lead to a decreased fan experience that will likely, slowly, kill college sports. Having family that attended USC, they loved doing road trips to UW and OU for games. There is virtually no chance they'll travel to Penn State, or Maryland for a game.

C'est la vie, such is life when the dollar drives all.

Actually, the Big East isn't saying anything because nobody listens to them! It is hard to spread a message when you are only talking to yourself. The ACC does seem to be in a bad position since it is likely to lose all of the programs who could conceivably make money in football! UNC on the other hand will be just peachy no matter how it shakes out. AND a rivalry like UNC V puke will not go away quickly or easily! While it will be a sad day if UNC leaves the ACC, it is important to point out that we are not ACC fans, we are UNC fans so......I would think UNC earning 100 million in a new conference might be good not bad "karma"!

Big East says “karma“ to the conference that started all this.
The Big East is still going, and is a Major conference in basketball, which is what it was founded to be. You do not hear the Catholic schools in the BE hating the fact that the football schools are gone. Their view - the majority of of the original BE, was that the BE was blackmailed to start a football division. They never wanted it.

In fact, they were so determined to make that point, that in 1998, when they were certain that Miami was desperate to get an ACC invite, as were both VT and WVU (both of which had been wanting in the ACC since before it started play in 1953) that they - again, the clear majority of the Big East - instructed Mike Tranghese, BE Commissioner - to tell the ACC that the ACC could 'borrow' Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, and BC (the first four schools in the BE that played 1A football) for football season. But they wanted BE basketball left alone.

That means that the BE was declaring in 1998 that it was ready to drop BE football.

A deal to merge the Big 12 and Pac 12 has fallen through. If the Big 12 and the Pac 12 merger/some sort of agreement didn't make sense, I doubt it would ever make sense for the ACC.

Oddly, enough, this is potentially bad news for UNC and the ACC. While the ACC has a great deal in place to keep the teams locked together, there isn't going to be much attraction from Pac or Big 12 schools to join the ACC. So what could happen is the Pac 12 will be poached for parts by the B1G and Big 12 (I doubt the SEC goes for them). That will likely beef both the conferences up to a point where there isn't much value in expanding more. When the ACC deal finally gets financially viable to break (assuming there isn't an agreement or legal challenge that does that earlier), the three main conferences will be fairly full.

It's hard to predict how things will look in 10+ years, but if things stay as they are now, any school looking to jump will have to bring HUGE value to the conference. Right now, that is really Clemson. If Miami and/or FSU get their act together, they then become at least as valuable as UNC, assuming UNC continues as a middling football school.

UNC is super attractive for many sports, but right now those are blips when compared to football. If conferences are fairly full, and UNC isn't bringing football revenue to match Clemson or another more 'traditional' football power from the ACC, they could be struggling to make an argument for entry into a conference.

Hopefully things work themselves out, but this could be really bad news for the ACC and its schools - and crushing for schools like NCState and the 'also rans' in the ACC.

Dunno if the Big 12 can poach the Pac. The Pac makes as much as the big 12 already before the big 12 dilutes more.

Dunno if the Big 12 can poach the Pac. The Pac makes as much as the big 12 already before the big 12 dilutes more.
I'm not sure where things stand - I haven't seen the numbers - but the Big 12 added a couple of good programs and a couple of good regional schools, whereas the Pac lost it's two powers, has two other powers, then a bunch of low value teams. As much as the Big 12 has been poached through the years, they are currently sitting #3 as the best positioned conference, strangely. Pac is probably last.

Unfortunately I do not think the ACC is around (at least as we know it now) in 5 years. UNC and UVA are (along with Notre Dame) the strongest overall fits for the big 10. Clemson and FSU, with Miami and VT possible, fit the sec profile. Those conferences can offer too much money for the ACC to stand pat. I do not think it is a question of "if", but "when".

The crappy part is that the big 10 has won I think 1 national title in football and basketball in last 20 years, yet they are in great shape.

The crappy part is that the big 10 has won I think 1 national title in football and basketball in last 20 years, yet they are in great shape.
The problem with the ACC is that they have too many schools with little to no brand. Teams like BC, WF and moo add nothing outside of their state. And in the case of moo, are redundant for market share.

Unfortunately I do not think the ACC is around (at least as we know it now) in 5 years. UNC and UVA are (along with Notre Dame) the strongest overall fits for the big 10. Clemson and FSU, with Miami and VT possible, fit the sec profile. Those conferences can offer too much money for the ACC to stand pat. I do not think it is a question of "if", but "when".

The BIG 10 is in great shape because they have great fan bases huge universities and rich alumni and backers. With the NYC Chicago LA Philly markets that’s a lot of TV sets. So the BIG has what it takes to get a few ACC teams to leave like $100m a year. I see if the BIG goes after ACC teams it will be UVA UNC VT. And I like Miami to join as well. Now you are taking

I hope it’s Clemson, UNC, FSU, and Miami to the SEC if anywhere. I can see the sniping those four for sure. unc over vt for the mere fact of brand and all sports. Imo the bib10 can rot. Besides, I can catch a lot of games if the come this way to play.

I hope it’s Clemson, UNC, FSU, and Miami to the SEC if anywhere. I can see the sniping those four for sure. unc over vt for the mere fact of brand and all sports. Imo the bib10 can rot. Besides, I can catch a lot of games if the come this way to play.
I would be surprised if Clemson chose B1G over the SEC. They are a more natural fit in the SEC than the Big whatever.

I agree. Thats why I wrote it
Regional fit yes. But here is the issue with Clemson. They are in South Carolina. The SEC already has a big state university there and clemson does not bring in a new market. They are pretty muck a smaller private school that does not have a huge alumni base nor is it in an area that has a lot of NIL opportunities Now the BIG can offer more $$ than the SEC but I think the BIG if they go after Amy ACC teams it will have to be schools who fit academically. Those schools are UNC. UVA. GTech. Those schools would bring new markets to the BIG. And the BIG would fill their coffers with lots of $$$$$. Incan see t he SEC not going after FSU Miami GTech and Clemson. Why? Because they do not bring in new tv markets to them. So look for the bidding was for UNC and UVA between the SEC and BIG.

Regional fit yes. But here is the issue with Clemson. They are in South Carolina. The SEC already has a big state university there and clemson does not bring in a new market. They are pretty muck a smaller private school that does not have a huge alumni base nor is it in an area that has a lot of NIL opportunities Now the BIG can offer more $$ than the SEC but I think the BIG if they go after Amy ACC teams it will have to be schools who fit academically. Those schools are UNC. UVA. GTech. Those schools would bring new markets to the BIG. And the BIG would fill their coffers with lots of $$$$$. Incan see t he SEC not going after FSU Miami GTech and Clemson. Why? Because they do not bring in new tv markets to them. So look for the bidding was for UNC and UVA between the SEC and BIG.
I hope you are wrong. Lol. What does Clemson bring in more than sc? A football program.

When you get to 20-24 teams, plus streaming, it's about brand not TV market. Nobody is going to be interested in the North Dakota market once the top 25 markets are gone. Boston is a top 10 market, but the SEC isn't going to go after BC. But they'll be interested in UNC, Clemson or ND because of the brand they bring.

When you get to 20-24 teams, plus streaming, it's about brand not TV market. Nobody is going to be interested in the North Dakota market once the top 25 markets are gone. Boston is a top 10 market, but the SEC isn't going to go after BC. But they'll be interested in UNC, Clemson or ND because of the brand they bring.
I think 20 teams is about as far as each conference will go. After that you are cutting that money pie too many ways. The key is ND. They want to stay independent but if they are locked out of the playoffs they will join the BIG. If not and they can stand alone look for the SEC and BIG to target in on the ACC. Both will go after UNC very hard. Both conferences will want UNC. After that I don’t think they will target the same schools. The BIG will go after UVA and GT the SEC will not target those two. But then there is clemson inam not sure if the SEC will target them. I just don’t. If one conference gets UNC they might take Duke as well or maybe not. There will he schools left out of expansion in the ACC but after Notre Dame the next best get is not clemson I think it’s UNC. Then schools like Clemson Georgia Tech FSU Miami NC state and UVA.

I think 20 teams is about as far as each conference will go. After that you are cutting that money pie too many ways. The key is ND. They want to stay independent but if they are locked out of the playoffs they will join the BIG. If not and they can stand alone look for the SEC and BIG to target in on the ACC. Both will go after UNC very hard. Both conferences will want UNC. After that I don’t think they will target the same schools. The BIG will go after UVA and GT the SEC will not target those two. But then there is clemson inam not sure if the SEC will target them. I just don’t. If one conference gets UNC they might take Duke as well or maybe not. There will he schools left out of expansion in the ACC but after Notre Dame the next best get is not clemson I think it’s UNC. Then schools like Clemson Georgia Tech FSU Miami NC state and UVA.
Other than moo, I agree with you. They bring no value other than history in the state of NC. Their brand stops at the borders of NC. That adds no value. Moo is going to end up in a mid major or an ACC that resembles a mid major, which will be hilarious to me.

I hope Moo does find a nice soft landing spot once this all shakes out! While I hate their delusional fan base and love it when they fail.........at this point it just makes me feel like a bully! Even the hunters had to have started feeling bad once they clubbed their 10th baby seal!

Unless NC general Assembly gets involved state will end up in conference with App or ECU. Who knows, they might actually win a conference championship there.

• Haha
Unless NC general Assembly gets involved state will end up in conference with App or ECU. Who knows, they might actually win a conference championship there.
That's a big reason this sucks. While there's no need to have love for State, but it seems crazy to think of Duke, UNC, State, and Wake all in different conferences. Or UNC in one, and those three in a lesser conference. Younger generations will eventually forget and get amped for the big rivalry game between Michigan and UNC, but losing regional rivalries is a huge loss for the sport, which is ultimately a loss for UNC.

Taking over/under numbers on how long the ACC survives in it's current form. Start the countdown folks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT