ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA reportedly headed to Big 10.

Well good news for some ACC teams is that they are going to get paid but let’s look at the ones that are the most desired by both the SEC and BIG

FSU - big state university great fan following rue past 40 years has as good a history as most anyone. Fertile recruiting grounds and it would not take muck for them to be too 5 again. Both the SEC and BIG might explore looking at them

UNC- possibly the most recognized school in the ACC. Basketball power of course but since football is driving this bus here are my thoughts on UNC football. If they looked at football like say Penn State did they would be better than Penn state every year Now that’s saying something. Great academics and also on a fertile and growing area. The BIG will make a huge push for UNC because of the academic fit plus Basketball is better in the Big than SEC.

Clemson- best football program in the ACC what hurts them a little is they are private with a smaller alumni base and in rural South Carolina. Many think The SEC would be a perfect fit but the problem is the SEC already has South Carolina. Not sure where they will land. The SEC makes sense but if they pass could the BIG try and gobble them up. Perhaps

Virginia - has a lot of the same positives as UNC. In fact UNC and UVA are the same school also in a growing state with very good recruiting grounds. Has great academics. I see the BIG going hard after UVA.

Miami- ok Da U and it looks like they got the right guy to get back to being Da U. Again would the SEC go after another Florida school? I for some reason would love to see Da U come to the Big 10 and they have no problems playing up north they did it on the Big East. So I think the BIG is a good fit. Also great history and very fertile recruiting grounds and they could be better quicker than FSU. Easily could be top 5 football program in a few short years

GA Tech- Big state school in Atlanta. Fantastic academics and has the potential and history of being very good in several sports. They really fit better in the BIG than SEC so again I can see the BIG going after GT

after that you have VT, NCST, Duke ,Pitt all have pluses and minuses. These are the next tier for the BIG and SEC to look at but I don’t think these teams will make the cut but who knows. For me NC ST would be the next school to add. It’s in Raleigh and huge state school. But this is just an opinion of an old man

Well good news for some ACC teams is that they are going to get paid but let’s look at the ones that are the most desired by both the SEC and BIG

FSU - big state university great fan following rue past 40 years has as good a history as most anyone. Fertile recruiting grounds and it would not take muck for them to be too 5 again. Both the SEC and BIG might explore looking at them

UNC- possibly the most recognized school in the ACC. Basketball power of course but since football is driving this bus here are my thoughts on UNC football. If they looked at football like say Penn State did they would be better than Penn state every year Now that’s saying something. Great academics and also on a fertile and growing area. The BIG will make a huge push for UNC because of the academic fit plus Basketball is better in the Big than SEC.

Clemson- best football program in the ACC what hurts them a little is they are private with a smaller alumni base and in rural South Carolina. Many think The SEC would be a perfect fit but the problem is the SEC already has South Carolina. Not sure where they will land. The SEC makes sense but if they pass could the BIG try and gobble them up. Perhaps

Virginia - has a lot of the same positives as UNC. In fact UNC and UVA are the same school also in a growing state with very good recruiting grounds. Has great academics. I see the BIG going hard after UVA.

Miami- ok Da U and it looks like they got the right guy to get back to being Da U. Again would the SEC go after another Florida school? I for some reason would love to see Da U come to the Big 10 and they have no problems playing up north they did it on the Big East. So I think the BIG is a good fit. Also great history and very fertile recruiting grounds and they could be better quicker than FSU. Easily could be top 5 football program in a few short years

GA Tech- Big state school in Atlanta. Fantastic academics and has the potential and history of being very good in several sports. They really fit better in the BIG than SEC so again I can see the BIG going after GT

after that you have VT, NCST, Duke ,Pitt all have pluses and minuses. These are the next tier for the BIG and SEC to look at but I don’t think these teams will make the cut but who knows. For me NC ST would be the next school to add. It’s in Raleigh and huge state school. But this is just an opinion of an old man
For the most part, I agree with what you've said. I think the B1G will definitely go for one of the FL schools. It's hard to say if they'd go for GT since they don't really add much other than a toehold in a huge market, but since UGA is so big in the state, and GT has been largely irrelevant in sports for some time, I'm not sure the B1G cares that much about the distant second fiddle in a SEC-dyed state.

UNC and UVA fit more the B1G vibe.

I think everyone is projecting the B1G to grab 4 ACC schools, but realistically, the more I think about it, they'll probably only grab 2. You still have the Pac-12 imploding and I think UW and Oregon are more interesting schools to the B1G than 95% of the ACC. You also have schools in the Big 12 that are still options for poaching. KU brings the KC market, OSU has been good in nearly every sport, and ISU is a natural geographic fit. Plus, every conference is going to leave a spot open in case ND calls.

Reactions: sammyk and TPFKAPFS
The best thing that the ACC could do is to figure out how to kick some schools out without technically doing that. Less members would mean more money per school. There is already talk about unequal revenue sharing. If you make the formula for doing that right, you could basically force the bottom programs to leave because they won't be able to afford to stay.

The best thing that the ACC could do is to figure out how to kick some schools out without technically doing that. Less members would mean more money per school. There is already talk about unequal revenue sharing. If you make the formula for doing that right, you could basically force the bottom programs to leave because they won't be able to afford to stay.
I honestly don't know if that would be enough. The money being kicked around by the B1G and SEC will always make jumping more attractive. So if the ACC kicks out the hanger-ons, they still have a money problem when compared to the poachers.

I honestly don't know if that would be enough. The money being kicked around by the B1G and SEC will always make jumping more attractive. So if the ACC kicks out the hanger-ons, they still have a money problem when compared to the poachers.
I agree it wouldn't be enough, but it would help shrink the gap until the other schools can get out.

That means Wake and BC. Nobody watches their games even when they win, and the TV deals are based on proven viewer numbers, not on winning.

People do watch WVU, and because U Cincy is a very large state school in football-crazed state, it has amazing growth potential. Dropping Wake and BC and adding WVU and Cincy would be an upgrade.

Reactions: heelfan1961
That means Wake and BC. Nobody watches their games even when they win, and the TV deals are based on proven viewer numbers, not on winning.

People do watch WVU, and because U Cincy is a very large state school in football-crazed state, it has amazing growth potential. Dropping Wake and BC and adding WVU and Cincy would be an upgrade.
I don't think they would be better off in the ACC than the big 12. More stability and the money will probably be about the same.

That’s some cold hearted shit.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Discussing revenue splits and attempting to manipulate someone into leaving a situation that is good for them to help yourself is an order of magnitude worse-this is heading down a dangerous path with a slippery slope!

Discussing revenue splits and attempting to manipulate someone into leaving a situation that is good for them to help yourself is an order of magnitude worse-this is heading down a dangerous path with a slippery slope!
I don't think they will be that cut throat about it, but the top schools should be rewarded for their performance. If you want UNC to be competitive in any sports in the future, then that's how it needs to be. The choice is pretty simple. Do what's best for the UNC athletic department or cling to a dying model.

Everyone wants the ACC to be great. I love the days of a nine team ACC with a round robin schedule. But we don't live in that world anymore. I would prefer to reminisce about the good old days while still being a great program instead of being Indiana. It sucks, but it's reality.

I don't think they will be that cut throat about it, but the top schools should be rewarded for their performance. If you want UNC to be competitive in any sports in the future, then that's how it needs to be. The choice is pretty simple. Do what's best for the UNC athletic department or cling to a dying model.

Everyone wants the ACC to be great. I love the days of a nine team ACC with a round robin schedule. But we don't live in that world anymore. I would prefer to reminisce about the good old days while still being a great program instead of being Indiana. It sucks, but it's reality.
I think if UNC joins the BIG basketball will still be where it is. But the university needs to look at football the same way. Noting saying you can’t have both programs top level

I love the days of a nine team ACC
Same here.

If you can't play every other conference team twice in basketball and once in football, the conference is too big.

To do that with bigger conferences, you have to allow more games per season. That's something I would be happy to see but I doubt will happen.

I realize that isn't how the new world works, but that's my preference.

Everybody says these conference shuffles are being driven by football.

When the dust settles....

1. Will the changes actually be good for football?

2. Will they be good for basketball?

3. Will they be bad for basketball?

I only care about basketball. I don't see anything good for basketball coming out of this. But if it doesn't hurt basketball, I guess I can live with it.

Just to be clear, I don't dislike football. Every year I'm willing for them to win me over. But they never do.

Everybody says these conference shuffles are being driven by football.

When the dust settles....

1. Will the changes actually be good for football?

2. Will they be good for basketball?

3. Will they be bad for basketball?

I only care about basketball. I don't see anything good for basketball coming out of this. But if it doesn't hurt basketball, I guess I can live with it.

Just to be clear, I don't dislike football. Every year I'm willing for them to win me over. But they never do.
I think the main impact for basketball is the loss of home-and-home rivalries. It isn't outlandish to think that Duke/UNC, if a change happens, will only play once a year, or even once every few years. As we've seen time, and time, and time again: regardless of how big the rivalry is, one schools is getting left behind and they aren't always amenable to continuing to bend to the wishes of the school that leaves.

Other than that, I think basketball largely remains the same. My bigger worry is the expansion of the tournament beyond what makes sense.

That’s some cold hearted shit.
The way to grasp the need is by knowing gangrene. If gangrene is in your left foot and you do not cut it off, then it enters your whole leg. Then you need to cut off the whole leg. If the gangrene is not cut off it enters your trunk, and then you die.

Far better to cut off that foot than to die.

Wake is foot #1. BC is foot #2.

The ACC needs to pair up with a good quality mid-major conference. Then enable something along the lines of relegation.

Disclaimer: All I know about relegation is what I learned from Ted Lasso.

So . . . at the end of the season, the worst team or 2 in the ACC swap for the best team or 2 in our partner conference.

At a glance, the Atlantic 10 would be a good matchup. Here's a look at them last year using info from Pomeroy.

They might be too strong a conference for this exercise, but it's easy to imagine that teams like Davidson, Dayton, VCU and others might make their way into the ACC - and perhaps stay there.

TeamOverallConf
Davidson 27-715-3
Dayton24-1114-4
VCU22-1014-4
St. Bonaventure23-1012-5
Saint Louis23-1212-6
Richmond 24-1310-8
George Washington12-188-9
Fordham16-168-10
George Mason14-167-9
Massachusetts15-177-11
Rhode Island15-165-12
Saint Joseph's11-195-13
La Salle11-195-13
Duquesne6-241-16

The ACC needs to pair up with a good quality mid-major conference. Then enable something along the lines of relegation.

Disclaimer: All I know about relegation is what I learned from Ted Lasso.

So . . . at the end of the season, the worst team or 2 in the ACC swap for the best team or 2 in our partner conference.

At a glance, the Atlantic 10 would be a good matchup. Here's a look at them last year using info from Pomeroy.

They might be too strong a conference for this exercise, but it's easy to imagine that teams like Davidson, Dayton, VCU and others might make their way into the ACC - and perhaps stay there.

TeamOverallConf
Davidson 27-715-3
Dayton24-1114-4
VCU22-1014-4
St. Bonaventure23-1012-5
Saint Louis23-1212-6
Richmond 24-1310-8
George Washington12-188-9
Fordham16-168-10
George Mason14-167-9
Massachusetts15-177-11
Rhode Island15-165-12
Saint Joseph's11-195-13
La Salle11-195-13
Duquesne6-241-16
I've heard people float the relegation idea before. It's interesting, but probably not doable with college athletics. But if it was, the A10 doesn't add enough value. Even in basketball they aren't worth much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT