ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (VaTech game - ACCT)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and bad habits have a nasty habit of coming back.

I'll sum this one up with 3 quick points:

- When you come out to face a desperate opponent fighting for their NCAA lives, coupled with a bad crew, you'd best be ready to play hard and with purpose. We were not. Literally the frst note I jotted down during our first offensive possession was that there was no energy on our end. We half-assed cuts and showed no intensity. Nonetheless, we had ample opportunities to get out to an early lead, but our shots not only missed, they never even looked like they had a chance for the most part. Look, bad shooting nights happen, but they tend to be less damaging when buffered by intensity.

- We did put out some effort on the defensive end, but that eentually deteriorated as well, especially when certain players came in and did the matador thing. and when it became apparent that Tech had a different game-plan this time, we didn't adjust. For example, their backside isos were screaming for doubles. Moreover, it doesn't do much good to wait to start scrambling til when you're down 20.

- Maybe most frustrating was that our transition game was pathetic, and bad habits from early in the season reared their ugly heads again. Sure, I realize we modified our transition approach vs UVA in order to work some early-possession high action, but that was NOT called for here. Our Secondary action was virtually nonexistent, and we didn't hit our lanes worth a crap. And maddeningly, the opportunities were there for the taking, but exactly once did the first Big sprint to the block, and Lordy, it was WIDE open for the taking. That needs to get fixed pronto.

So there it is. For all the excellent play, effort and coaching of the last two games?... welp, tonight was the opposite of that. And if we show up at a NCAAT game and play like this next week? Our asses will be bounced early, no matter where we're seeded. Look, this team has made some impressive progress, especially down the recent stretch, but tonight showed in spades that we cannot afford to be the least bit entitled. So, the staff has one job this coming week --- get these guys back on the track of playing Carolina basketball... and playing it with consistent focus, effort and urgency,

The January version of this team played last night. If an opponent comes out focused and plays physical the default is reliance on the 3, and if that is not falling there is no plan B. I get the "has to win" as opposed to wants to win" but when post season starts every possession, every pass, every dribble is critical. UNC just lacked effort and focus last night? Is that on the players, the staff or some combination?

The Heels can lose more game before the season is over. Unfortunately, I think they are firm in the 8/9 seed slot, and they will be playing a team just like Va Tech was last night - hungry to continue the season. The question is will UNC show up just as ready?

...and bad habits have a nasty habit of coming back.

I'll sum this one up with 3 quick points:

- When you come out to face a desperate opponent fighting for their NCAA lives, coupled with a bad crew, you'd best be ready to play hard and with purpose. We were not. Literally the frst note I jotted down during our first offensive possession was that there was no energy on our end. We half-assed cuts and showed no intensity. Nonetheless, we had ample opportunities to get out to an early lead, but our shots not only missed, they never even looked like they had a chance for the most part. Look, bad shooting nights happen, but they tend to be less damaging when buffered by intensity.

- We did put out some effort on the defensive end, but that eentually deteriorated as well, especially when certain players came in and did the matador thing. and when it became apparent that Tech had a different game-plan this time, we didn't adjust. For example, their backside isos were screaming for doubles. Moreover, it doesn't do much good to wait to start scrambling til when you're down 20.

- Maybe most frustrating was that our transition game was pathetic, and bad habits from early in the season reared their ugly heads again. Sure, I realize we modified our transition approach vs UVA in order to work some early-possession high action, but that was NOT called for here. Our Secondary action was virtually nonexistent, and we didn't hit our lanes worth a crap. And maddeningly, the opportunities were there for the taking, but exactly once did the first Big sprint to the block, and Lordy, it was WIDE open for the taking. That needs to get fixed pronto.

So there it is. For all the excellent play, effort and coaching of the last two games?... welp, tonight was the opposite of that. And if we show up at a NCAAT game and play like this next week? Our asses will be bounced early, no matter where we're seeded. Look, this team has made some impressive progress, especially down the recent stretch, but tonight showed in spades that we cannot afford to be the least bit entitled. So, the staff has one job this coming week --- get these guys back on the track of playing Carolina basketball... and playing it with consistent focus, effort and urgency,
It looked like VT was intent on slowing down Bacot and we didn’t come to the ball when he was doubled down low. We didn’t spot up well or keep our eyes on the rim in the paint, as we had make able looks. As you noted, making shot comes from being in the flow of the offense-we were lazy on cuts and seemed to lack the intensity that we have to have for us to be successful. Too many finger pointers here- this was a total team loss, from the coaches to the players. VT deserves credit- they played well and shot well. The zebras allowing physical play hurt us as we let it throw us off. But that is no excuse, as we have to adjust to how the game is called. Thanks for the analysis, and Go Heels!

Gary, thanks for your analysis. Lord knows it cannot be enjoyable to recap a game
where all but one player is having a tough shooting night. Press on, Heels.
Have a great week of practice and get motivated.
To VT, you've come this far, finish your job tonight!

Reactions: gary-7 and gkss
The January version of this team played last night. If an opponent comes out focused and plays physical the default is reliance on the 3, and if that is not falling there is no plan B. I get the "has to win" as opposed to wants to win" but when post season starts every possession, every pass, every dribble is critical. UNC just lacked effort and focus last night? Is that on the players, the staff or some combination?

The Heels can lose more game before the season is over. Unfortunately, I think they are firm in the 8/9 seed slot, and they will be playing a team just like Va Tech was last night - hungry to continue the season. The question is will UNC show up just as ready?
Total team loss from coaches to the players. How we respond will be key. Coaches have to refocus this group and get back to playing with purpose.

We were awful last night but how many times does a guard need to be held,hand checked,grabbed,hacked and bumped before a foul is called. Teddy Valentine and this crew was absolutely horrible. It's just amazing how differently Carolina is officiated then Dook. No way VT is allowed to play Dook like that. I'm just absolutely sick of the ACC and their bias for Dook and against Carolina.

To what extent did we see burnout?

On the one hand, we apparently have needed to play a short rotation to win. On the other, guys like Brady and RJ have been looking a bit worn out lately. Often still turning in good performances, but visibly wearing down. A problem that gets exacerbated when you have to play on consecutive days.

How much of a problem was that?

On the one hand, we apparently have needed to play a short rotation to win. On the other, guys like Brady and RJ have been looking a bit worn out lately. Often still turning in good performances, but visibly wearing down. A problem that gets exacerbated when you have to play on consecutive days.

Fatigue is a factor, but it’s tourney time and we just lacked the will last night-imo.

This has been my concern going back a few months due to lack of bench development beginning in November. One of the many great things about Roy was that he coached for March in November. He utilized a deep rotation early in the season and narrowed it down late in the season which kept legs fresh for the post-season run. We have not done that to any extent this year and it’s gonna show with quick turnaround games.

We might be able to survive the first round game next week, but how can we expect this team to play a 1 or 2 seed just a couple days later?

UNC reverted to their game that has frustrated so many for about half the season. Individually, this team is very talented. Collectively, sometimes they just don't mesh. VT didn't make the same mistake as Duke and switched on every screen so Manek wasn't floating wide open for a three. Add to that, he seemed to be off. VT also played their defense in such a way where UNC found it difficult to penetrate. This led to watching them run that weave action 25 feet from the basket until the shot clock was about to run out, then frantically scratching for some kind of shot. And of course, as talented as he can sometimes be, one has to figure in the wasted possessions where Caleb decides it is time to try and impress NBA scouts and launches a 28 footer, or drives wildly into the lane with nowhere to go and throwing up some crap that either gets blocked, or has about a 5% chance of going in. But I think the biggest disappointment was that the team just looked flat. Not a lot of urgency on either end of the floor. Got thoroughly outplayed by a team with half the talent, and thoroughly out coached. This team has the individual talent to make a run in the tourney, but I won't get my hopes up as they are one of the most inconsistent Carolina teams I can remember. And to all of those crying about the officials, give it a rest. You sound like the Clemson crowd. The officials have little to do with things when you get beat like UNC got beat last night.

Reactions: zell06
This has been my concern going back a few months due to lack of bench development beginning in November. One of the many great things about Roy was that he coached for March in November. He utilized a deep rotation early in the season and narrowed it down late in the season which kept legs fresh for the post-season run. We have not done that to any extent this year and it’s gonna show with quick turnaround games.

We might be able to survive the first round game next week, but how can we expect this team to play a 1 or 2 seed just a couple days later?
If HD had substituted like Roy did we'd probably be hosting a first round NIT game instead of worrying about a second round NCAA game before the first one has even been played.

Funny thing.. I thought the blowout win against the Hoos would work in the Heels favor being able to rest the starters. Guess it didnt matter.

If HD had substituted like Roy did we'd probably be hosting a first round NIT game instead of worrying about a second round NCAA game before the first one has even been played.
Roy made the tourney last year substituting like that and he had less talent and less experience than HD has this year.

This is why I said "On the one hand, we apparently have needed to play a short rotation to win." But I wonder if that was really true. Maybe in some parallel universe, Hubert tried going deeper into the bench.

Two questions:

1. How many more games could we have lost and still made the NCAAT? If developing the bench cost us 1 game would we still be in? Two games?

2. Thinking back to 2010, that 4-1 run to the NIT championship game really helped the following year's team. Not to mention giving that limping team a 20-win season. As a fan, it made me feel better, too.

Which raises the further question, would you rather go 4-1 in the NIT or 0-1 or 1-1 in the NCAAT?

For now, I just hope we can make a good showing in the NCAAT - where, if you believe Lunardi, we might start off against Creighton. Was Hubert here when Creighton took Kendall out?

Last edited:
Roy made the tourney last year substituting like that and he had less talent and less experience than HD has this year.
What's that got to do with anything? I disagree with your entire statement but that's neither here nor there. If HD gave a bunch of playing time and it cost us, say, 2 games early in the year we'd be on the outside looking in. And we did have some very losable games this year that we barely pulled out.

It looked like VT was intent on slowing down Bacot and we didn’t come to the ball when he was doubled down low. We didn’t spot up well or keep our eyes on the rim in the paint, as we had make able looks. As you noted, making shot comes from being in the flow of the offense-we were lazy on cuts and seemed to lack the intensity that we have to have for us to be successful. Too many finger pointers here- this was a total team loss, from the coaches to the players. VT deserves credit- they played well and shot well. The zebras allowing physical play hurt us as we let it throw us off. But that is no excuse, as we have to adjust to how the game is called. Thanks for the analysis, and Go Heels!
Well said on all counts.

I honestly don't think that was the issue at all. In fact, we had the luxury of not having to overtax the guys Thursday.

From my coaching eye (albeit from a distance), what I saw was a team that had taken a collective deep breath of relief following the last two masterpieces of effort and focus. I remarked to my buddy pregame that I didn't like the body language that flashed on the cameras during warmups. To me it said "we're playing with house-money". Tech, on the other hand, looked like they came primed for a rock-fight --- and they gave us one (almost literally).

I hoped I might be imagining things, but alas, turns out I wasn't. And look, these things happen with kids, and the next challenge for the staff is resetting and getting them refocused for the crucial 2-game run next week. And as I said, that starts with a refresher course on Carolina basketball.

Reactions: HeelMac and gkss
Ihave somewhat convinced myself that I could play Div 1 basketball IF KERWIN WALTON guarded me on every possession of my career. Pretty sure I can guard that small area of the floor that he stands on every possession offensively as well.
How is he possibly on this roster next season?

• Haha
Reactions: TarHeelMark
Ihave somewhat convinced myself that I could play Div 1 basketball IF KERWIN WALTON guarded me on every possession of my career. Pretty sure I can guard that small area of the floor that he stands on every possession offensively as well.
Yeah, his D was always lacking, but its really sad how he's not even able to contribute offensively anymore either. I hate to see anyone leave but a change of scenery might be good for him.

I feel bad for the kid. I like Kerwin and it has to be tough for him to maintain confidence, but he still can't defend in our system. --- especially with Hubert re-emphasizing defense. He would likely do well in a scheme that utilizes more Zone or shoughing Man.

Reactions: tarwhiz and TheGLOV
You do have to appreciate some of these folks that do not like Hubert as our coach. They have been silenced for a good while because it is really hard when the team goes on a solid winning streak and sends K off from Cameron with his final game there being a loss to UNC. Finally they get to scream again, seems like they enjoyed the loss more than they would have had we won.

Last night, not really shocking, against Uva we defended strong for the first half but our shooting was way off. Now of course the pac man defense had a lot to do with that but we just never really settled in. Last night, what I saw was a team that really didn't feel a sense of urgency to win the ACC tourney, they seemed to be just going thru the motions, defended strong early but that stopped when we went to the bench. It was like we were more emotionally drained than anything else, no real sense of purpose. Important to add, it is really hard to play a team that you have already beat twice this season, a team that is playing for their NCAAT life, for back to back days of 9:30pm tip offs, with really rather smallish game of importance. Win a game and then lose in the 2nd game isn't as bad as some think. IT gets your tired team another day or 2 of rest, this team is tired physically and emotionally.

Back to back 9:30 tip offs seemed to drain us, the officials sure didn't seem to help allowing a lot of contact and then all the sudden does not like when UNC tries to give some of that contact back? Not saying the refs cost us that game at all but they sure seemed to be able to see touch fouls from us easier than strong contact when our guys tried to drive.

From here on it is win or season over, survive and advance, the stakes can never be more than each game now will be. Rest, regroup, and respond to a hard loss, this team has responded well after hard losses this season with the one exception of the Miami/Wake back to back losses.

I do want us to match up against Ky in the tourney, love for us to get another shot at them. The NCAAT format gives a day between games so we should be fine. But bring on who ever is next, lets see if this team can finish strong!

But, just as the team did not seem to feel a sense of urgency, that this was a high stakes game

Yeah, his D was always lacking, but its really sad how he's not even able to contribute offensively anymore either. I hate to see anyone leave but a change of scenery might be good for him.
Yes, his defense is not good but really noticed this season how little work Kerwin does off the ball to allow for passing lanes to him where he can get a shot off. He really seems to stand around a lot and teams know not to give him a lane to catch and the room he needs to get his shot off.

The crazy part of this is you heard several times of how strong Kerwin's work effort was in improving his game. Yet in games I do not see a lot of hard work or effort to make things happen. WE are used to watching kids have soph bounce to their game, Kerwin showed a soph regression in his game, hard to understand.

Reactions: tarwhiz and TheGLOV
I feel bad for the kid. I like Kerwin and it has to be tough for him to maintain confidence, but he still can't defend in our system. --- especially with Hubert re-emphasizing defense. He would likely do well in a scheme that utilizes more Zone or shoughing Man.
I believe that Kerwin Walton will have games in his future College career where he will approach 30 points. He will have games in which he hits 6-8 3 point shots in a game, but I also believe he will be a defensive detriment to any team he is on moving forward. He reminds me of the Deonte Allen kid from Kentucky last year. UK is good again, and Allen needs directions to find the court on a really good UK team. If Carolina is back to where they need to be, Walton will not be in a top contender rotation.

Gary it seems he just don’t try hard enough. My guy Platek had just about the same athleticism as Kerwin but found a way to play good defense.

Gary it seems he just don’t try hard enough. My guy Platek had just about the same athleticism as Kerwin but found a way to play good defense.
Actually, it's mostly his footwork. Effort can only do so much for that.

Plates was more naturally nimble, and yes, also busted his ass and made himself a legit plus-defender at this level (not that some fans would ever admit it).

Kerwin will never reach anywhere near that status, so his challenge is to use his head and give max effort so as to at least not be a liablity. That unfortunately didn't happen last night.

amen to that! they are a good basketball team!
They are, and to put a coda on my OP, anyone who denigrates the power of effort, welp, there it is... they out-hustled and out-fought dook just like they did against us last night.

If we bring the effort and focus from the dook and UVA games to the Dance? We can beat ANYBODY. But if not, we can go home early.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT