ADVERTISEMENT

We will b fine with mitch leaving

Nov 5, 2008
Chaz Surratt will rewrite the record books of either stats...excitement...or both...this young man can play...

He's gonna have to win the starting job first... Elliot will put up a fight. But I hope you're right

^it is amazing that people get so confident in a QB that has never taken an college snap. People were really excited about 4* Caleb Henderson til they saw him perform in a spring game...

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
^it is amazing that people get so confident in a QB that has never taken an college snap. People were really excited about 4* Caleb Henderson til they saw him perform in a spring game...
It is indeed amazing. All fanbases do it. Hokie Nation is already convinced that Hooker (kid out of Greensboro who is a H.S. senior this year) is better than Jerod Evans and that's the reason Evans declared for the NFL draft.

I had the bittersweet misfortune of watching him play against rival teams i supported in the county hs system...and i learned to like the young man through respect...im sure they are all great qb's in hs...just feel biased about this one...upside is through the roof imho...

I had the bittersweet misfortune of watching him play against rival teams i supported in the county hs system...and i learned to like the young man through respect...im sure they are all great qb's in hs...just feel biased about this one...upside is through the roof imho...
Not exactly the best high school competition. No offense intended.

It is indeed amazing. All fanbases do it. Hokie Nation is already convinced that Hooker (kid out of Greensboro who is a H.S. senior this year) is better than Jerod Evans and that's the reason Evans declared for the NFL draft.
If the Hokies fans were saying they have great confidence that they will have good of great QB play next year because Fuente is a great coach, I would not dispute them. But a skinny true freshman QB better than Evans was this past year? Not likely.

Not exactly the best high school competition. No offense intended.
I remember when Luke Huard and Mike Paulus were heavily touted coming out of high school and they gave way to QBs who were not as touted. Oscar Davenport and TJ Yates were hellva fine QBs for Carolina. Chazz just may be great but if he doesn't win out the position, I hope he and his fans understand that it should never be given but earned. Mitch learned that lesson well.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I remember when Luke Huard and Mike Paulus were heavily touted coming out of high school and they gave way to QBs who were not as touted. Oscar Davenport and TJ Yates were hellva fine QBs for Carolina. Chazz just may be great but if he doesn't win out the position, I hope he and his fans understand that it should never be given but earned. Mitch learned that lesson well.
Huard was said by some familiar with Pacific northwest HS football to have perhaps more potential than his brothers. Paulus was heavily recruited by major name programs across the country, including Southern Cal.

Ron Curry was almost everybody's top QB recruit in the nation. He was an up and down, inconsistent QB at UNC, who made no progress in 4 years. As a senior, he shared the job with freshman Durant, who had a much better career and whose freshman season was better than Curry's senior season. Curry played WR in the NFL.

What makes him not a top college quarterback in your opinion. I didn't think Durant was but these kids have to be given opportunity. Then if he can't then we could say that but he was a true freshman. How do you gauge.

shoulda hired kevin wilson
I would be very happy with Wilson as our OC. But my guess is that Fedora is too proud of 'his' offense to want a truly top level OC, one who has been part of the biggest games and done quite well. Wilson might disagree with Fedora and know enough to be able to make his case seem better to the rest of the staff and the players.

I would be very happy with Wilson as our OC. But my guess is that Fedora is too proud of 'his' offense to want a truly top level OC, one who has been part of the biggest games and done quite well. Wilson might disagree with Fedora and know enough to be able to make his case seem better to the rest of the staff and the players.
Another difficulty in hiring KW might be that Ohio State is already in the process of hiring him.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Surratt doesn't have the arm and pocket presence the others before him have had. He's got tremendous athleticism but that's mitigated much more on more he college level than in high school when he could pull the bsll fown and take off freely.

? Seems like a premature judgement. He was a 4 star recruit, and we don't have much else to go off of yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on Logan Byrd?
It is, but is certainly no more premature than the people who assume that Surratt is the next ACC star QB.

In one way at least, Surratt reminds me of Curry, which means a 2nd rate Curry. It is not that I think he plays QB the same way, but that each is a top all around athlete whose best QB skills may be in athleticism - speed, quickness, pound for pound strength, etc. Both were star HS players in 2 sports, recruited in both. Surratt was recruited at lower levels in each sport.

What Surratt has going for him are redshirting and not trying to be UNC's PG as well as its QB. But that may not be enough. I thought that freshman Durant was a better QB than senior Curry. No doubt Curry was the better athlete, but even as a freshman Durant was a better all around QB. Those were the early days of the internet, and the first thing I ever said, and said repeatedly, that made people want to string me up was that Curry had 0 chance to ever play QB in the NFL but that he could make an NFL roster as a WR, because he was built to be a WR and had never come close to mastering the fundamentals of QB.

And that is the way it went down.

Surratt has the build and athletic skills to become a top WR. Byrd has the build and athletics skills to become a top RB or HB. Either or both or neither of them could develop into a high quality QB.

If Fedora had asked Wilson to return home to take over the UNC offense, would Ohio State have gotten him?

Lol yes. Winning a national championship as a coordinator is the fastest possible track for him to a head coaching gig. tOSU is where that opportunity is most likely to present itself.

This is rhetorical right?
No, because alma mater matters. Hopefully a UNC alum would give serious consideration to turning down a job with a school higher up the football hierarchy in order to coach for his alma mater.

Money talks, and so does that football hierarchy. So it would be a long shot.

6 wins will be tough to come by next year. I'm interested to see what the O/U on wins is before the season, I'm leaning under. We should beat UVA at home and the two cupcakes (WCU and ODU). Probably Duke at home too. Of our other home games (Cal, ND, Miami, and Louisville) maybe we'll steal one. I'd be surprised if we won a conference road game (GT, Pitt, VT, NCSU) but we might be able to steal one of those too - if we do, that'd put us right on 6.

6 wins will be tough to come by next year. I'm interested to see what the O/U on wins is before the season, I'm leaning under. We should beat UVA at home and the two cupcakes (WCU and ODU). Probably Duke at home too. Of our other home games (Cal, ND, Miami, and Louisville) maybe we'll steal one. I'd be surprised if we won a conference road game (GT, Pitt, VT, NCSU) but we might be able to steal one of those too - if we do, that'd put us right on 6.
That is sad. We are back to full strength in terms of scholarships. Fedora has been in Chapel Hill 5 years.

Not sure how it will turn out but the kid is a baller. Very good friends with a coach who was in the conference with east Lincoln and has seen all the talent from crest and Shelby through the years and he says surratt is one of if not the best talents he has seen. He's definitely a winner

Not sure how it will turn out but the kid is a baller. Very good friends with a coach who was in the conference with east Lincoln and has seen all the talent from crest and Shelby through the years and he says surratt is one of if not the best talents he has seen. He's definitely a winner
I'm not sure why we're getting all this negativity toward Chazz when we haven't seen him play a down. I know the sample size is small, but I haven't seen much from Nathan Elliott to make me think he is the answer. Kid looks really small. Chazz being athletic shouldn't be looked at as a negative, IMO; Marquise was looked at as just being athletic with an average arm but we wound up doing pretty well with him. Not saying Chazz is Marquise (haven't seen him play) but we'll see how he comes out of the spring.

Ya, I mean I realize with entirely new offensive personnel and a relatively difficult schedule that 6 might be a high bar to set but I think they can do it.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't post much here during the offseason.

Some thoughts on this thread.

1. Predicting only 6 wins next season seems remarkably pessimistic. Cal, dook, Virginia, WCU, and ODU should all be Ws. That's 5. The games against Notre Dame, Miami, Louisville, GT, VT, Pitt, and NCSU are all tougher, but we could conceivably win half those games. The only one that truly concerns me is Louisville. I'll be shocked if we finish less than 7-5 but 9-3 wouldn't surprise me either if we see some improvement on defense and the offense grows up quickly.

2. While we are no longer under scholarship restrictions, we're still feeling the effect. The smaller classes recruited from 2013-2015 don't simply get back filled after the fact. We won't be whole again, i.e. 85 recruited scholarship players, until next season at the earliest.

3. Surratt appears to have already passed Byrd on the depth chart based on practice reports. The coaches have been cautiously excited about Surratt. Remember, even though he was redshirting last season, Surratt was on the travel squad for away games, presumably as the third-string QB in case of dire emergency. I expect Elliott and Surratt to battle for the starting spot in the spring, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them win it.

Some thoughts on this thread.

1. Predicting only 6 wins next season seems remarkably pessimistic. Cal, dook, Virginia, WCU, and ODU should all be Ws. That's 5. The games against Notre Dame, Miami, Louisville, GT, VT, Pitt, and NCSU are all tougher, but we could conceivably win half those games. The only one that truly concerns me is Louisville. I'll be shocked if we finish less than 7-5 but 9-3 wouldn't surprise me either if we see some improvement on defense and the offense grows up quickly.

2. While we are no longer under scholarship restrictions, we're still feeling the effect. The smaller classes recruited from 2013-2015 don't simply get back filled after the fact. We won't be whole again, i.e. 85 recruited scholarship players, until next season at the earliest.

3. Surratt appears to have already passed Byrd on the depth chart based on practice reports. The coaches have been cautiously excited about Surratt. Remember, even though he was redshirting last season, Surratt was on the travel squad for away games, presumably as the third-string QB in case of dire emergency. I expect Elliott and Surratt to battle for the starting spot in the spring, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them win it.
But but but....Fedora sucks and we are gonna not make a bowl and stuff!!!111

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT