ADVERTISEMENT

What positions should Coach Davis look for now in the transfer portal?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
We all have our opinions and I will give my first. Carolina now has 5 guards so that should be more than enough.

My first choice would be a rim protector who could give Bacot 10-15 minute break a game.

Secondly a small forward who has some jumps and can not only hit the corner shot but also could drive from the base line.

A power forward who could bang down low but also had some hops and could hit from the outside.

Fourth on my list would be another small forward who could slash and add quickness to the team…

I felt the overall team speed last season was way below the normal so quickness must be something the coaching staff is looking at.

I realize priority one for the staff are shooters which is a great since the team was awful from the floor but quickness should also be a priority.

Where do you feel the staff should be looking to fill the many voids left by all of the tranfers

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We're still looking for a starting 2-3-4. Rumor is Timberlake may commit soon, yet we'll still be going after another shooter at the 2.

Stretch 4. We'd have 4 big men then next season.

A high quality rim protector isn't likely coming in to sub for Bacot although I could be wrong. However, Zayden High and another big who can be a stretch 4, may be able to do that, and of course, Washington should be healthy.

Stud sf. Scorer, 3 pt threat and defender.

Best of the rest, any position.

These are possible players that we should add that will improve and enhance our team back to championship levels. These additions address all of the concerns for shooting, scoring, rebounding, defense and rim protection.

Joseph Girard - Syracuse transfer
Kadin Shedrick - UVA transfer
Jaelyn Withers - Louisville transfer [x] Paxson Wojick - Brown
Jarin Stevenson - HS - Reclassify
Kowacie Reeves - Florida transfer

These are possible players that we should add that will improve and enhance our team back to championship levels. These additions address all of the concerns for shooting, scoring, rebounding, defense and rim protection.

Joseph Girard - Syracuse transfer
Kadin Shedrick - UVA transfer
Jaelyn Withers - Louisville transfer [x] Paxson Wojick - Brown
Jarin Stevenson - HS - Reclassify
Kowacie Reeves - Florida transfer
Absolutely no to Girard

Reactions: keysersosay#1
hearing Guard Justin Moore from Villanova is being recruited by Bacot to join the Heels, they played AAU together

2022-23 Girard Stats
PTS REB AST FG% 3pt %
16.4 2.8 3.0 40.3 38.1

No, to Girard on what grounds? It must be personal? It sure could not be based on performance. This guy did this in the ACC and was consistently counted on to score from deep. Add those stats to any other player on this year's team, and we don't lose four games.

2022-23 Girard Stats
PTS REB AST FG% 3pt %
16.4 2.8 3.0 40.3 38.1

No, to Girard on what grounds? It must be personal? It sure could not be based on performance. This guy did this in the ACC and was consistently counted on to score from deep. Add those stats to any other player on this year's team, and we don't lose four games.
6' tall and hidden in that zone for 4 years. He has not played a man to man defense for any meaningful min in 5 years.
Not sure I need to explain any further.

His height didn't prohibit his performance at all. He earned those stats with that height. He played zone because his system demanded zone. He's a baller that like most New York guards could play and compete. I would bet that the majority of Syracuse players were dying to play man to man, because most basketball is learned playing man to man. When playing pick up game, no one plays zone. I'm sure that your explanation does not make sense.

His height didn't prohibit his performance at all. He earned those stats with that height. He played zone because his system demanded zone. He's a baller that like most New York guards could play and compete. I would bet that the majority of Syracuse players were dying to play man to man, because most basketball is learned playing man to man. When playing pick up game, no one plays zone. I'm sure that your explanation does not make sense.
He and RJ would be a tiny combination, they hunted RJ relentlessly already on dee because of his size, and he is much more prepared to defend then Girard in man.

Unless you think he surplants RJ, which I can't see happening, how do they play together?

understand
Carolina is not going to play 2 small guards like R.J. and Joe together when neither is considered a plus or even above avg defender.
I got nothing else for you if you can't understand basketball 101 when it comes to roster building.
Girard is going somewhere to START! He would NOT START at UNC next season.
Simple facts. Good player, no fit here.

A backup 5.

The rest of the dudes get a bunch of springy, bouncy 6'5"-6'9" who are multi-skilled. Hopefully these dudes can all shoot it a bit. Or enough where they need to guard you from the perimeter.

We're still looking for a starting 2-3-4. Rumor is Timberlake may commit soon, yet we'll still be going after another shooter at the 2.
If we get Timberlake, my priority would then be for a physically developed big man that can give me some scoring out of the 4 spot, does not have to be a stretch guy but does need at least a solid mid range game, that hopefully can give help at both the 4 and 5. I want physicality from this guy, I want a guy that can carve out space and help Bacot clean the boards. I have stretchy 4s in Jalen and High, I need physical now and I need some on court "attitude", to paraphrase Bacot, I want a guy that is not "sweet". I want a shot blocker, I want that guy that covers up defensive mistakes and intimidates anything going inside the paint. I doubt we can get all that in 1 guy so I may be talking about 2 guys, getting 2 that could help may be hard but one guy that brings that may be more likely to be in the next draft than play in college.

Guy that caught my eye early certainly fills the physicality order is Lampkins out of TT, 6'10" 295lbs, huge kid, bit of a bull dozier. He is not a guy you look to for extended minutes but at the same time is a guy that may not be looking for huge minutes. Looks like the days of Oscar at Ky are over, he and Bacot are close friends, could they play together, it would be a very different look than how we used Nance but 2 bulls like Bacot and Oscar would charge a premium to anyone looking to drive the lane. Hear some rumors that Edny is or may soon be available, well if you need size there ya go.

Clearly we need a scoring wing (3) or we need to decide to use 3 guards in a small ball look, I think a long shooter (say in the 6'7-8" range) that is more catch and shoot than a guy looking to slash to the rim, I need consistent jump shot making from the 3 and I am fine if we decide to fil it with a 2 guard that has decent length but really good quickness and is just a deadly catch and shoot jump shooter, Harrison Ingram or the Young kid could fit this really well, hearing some Ingram rumors, we recruited him out of high school pretty hard and I think that left him a positive impression.

So I am looking at could be 3 but more likely 4 total from the portal. Save the last 1 for a guy that may enter the portal late that could be a must take or a reclass, as much as I would prefer we not get in to the re-class game.

You cannot have too many good shooters. You cannot have too many guys who play very tough, very smart defense - on the perimeter as well as in or near the lane.

UNC is not recruiting him. End of story.

2022-23 Girard Stats
PTS REB AST FG% 3pt %
16.4 2.8 3.0 40.3 38.1

He cannot defend at all, and neither can RJ. Playing them both together would be pretty foolish. We won't go that route.

I don't think Hubert shares your opinion though. We're getting heavily rumored about a couple guys, but let's see.
You may be right gaucho but consider this, what if Hubert is looking to go small ball with a 2 guard at the 3? What is Timberlake, like 6'4" and a really good catch and shoot guy? Put him in with RJ at the 2, Wilcher running the point, and maybe a guy like Jalen that can stretch from the 4? The defense is forced to spread out which is of course the purpose of the spread, to spread the defense and allow your ball handlers to drive man on man as opposed to 1 on 2 or 3 and make a good decision as to finish, slip to Bacot, or kick back to a open spot up shooter.

We all have our opinions and I will give my first. Carolina now has 5 guards so that should be more than enough.

My first choice would be a rim protector who could give Bacot 10-15 minute break a game.

Secondly a small forward who has some jumps and can not only hit the corner shot but also could drive from the base line.

A power forward who could bang down low but also had some hops and could hit from the outside.

Fourth on my list would be another small forward who could slash and add quickness to the team…

I felt the overall team speed last season was way below the normal so quickness must be something the coaching staff is looking at.

I realize priority one for the staff are shooters which is a great since the team was awful from the floor but quickness should also be a priority.

Where do you feel the staff should be looking to fill the many voids left by all of the tranfers
It all starts with a legit PG. Cadeau now, or a Grad/OAD transfer.

Legit 1
+shooter at 2 (hopefully at least 6'3")
+ shooter at 3 (hopefully at least 6'6"+)
Athletic 4 with at least a shot out to the midrange (6'8-6'10-225 at least)
Back up 5

If we only do 4, I'm dropping the PG because I think we can handle it in-house well enough) All have to be good defenders and athletic, with a team first attitude!

Reactions: gary-7
Positions don’t matter as much as finding shooters, and shooters that play within a system the generates open shots

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Positions don’t matter as much as finding shooters, and shooters that play within a system the generates open shots
I tend to agree. Recruit skill more than anything else.

I do think here that having a PG matters. Whether that's a score first PG like Coby or a pass first PG like Kendall. And having a big who can at least rebound matters. Also for some rim defense.

Apart from that, I want a bunch of 6'5"-6'9" dudes with some bounce, who can dribble it enough, and shoot it enough. That allows you to play small, big, switch. You have a lot more to play with.

You need some offensive punch from the 3 though. The only way you have a Leaky-type 3 in the future is if your 1, 2, and 4 all shoot like 37% plus from 3 at high volume and the center is a dominant force.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFD83 and DSouthr
I tend to agree. Recruit skill more than anything else.

I do think here that having a PG matters. Whether that's a score first PG like Coby or a pass first PG like Kendall. And having a big who can at least rebound matters. Also for some rim defense.

Apart from that, I want a bunch of 6'5"-6'9" dudes with some bounce, who can dribble it enough, and shoot it enough. That allows you to play small, big, switch. You have a lot more to play with.

You need some offensive punch from the 3 though. The only way you have a Leaky-type 3 in the future is if your 1, 2, and 4 all shoot like 37% plus from 3 at high volume and the center is a dominant force.
Dude, you gonna PISS ME OFF if you keep on saying stuff that I have to agree with! LOL

You may be right gaucho but consider this, what if Hubert is looking to go small ball with a 2 guard at the 3? What is Timberlake, like 6'4" and a really good catch and shoot guy? Put him in with RJ at the 2, Wilcher running the point, and maybe a guy like Jalen that can stretch from the 4? The defense is forced to spread out which is of course the purpose of the spread, to spread the defense and allow your ball handlers to drive man on man as opposed to 1 on 2 or 3 and make a good decision as to finish, slip to Bacot, or kick back to a open spot up shooter.
I'll be surprised if any of Timberlake, Wilcher, or Washington are starters, let alone all three. We're aiming higher at all three spots it appears; Hubert wants us back to being a top team again.

I also don't think Washington fits as a four. He hasn't proved any 3-pt ability yet, and Hubert wants Manek-type guys. On top of that, Washington showed no ability to defend perimeter guys last year. Imagine Wash trying to stick with a guy like Jordan Miller. I think he's strictly a center until proven otherwise.

I'll be surprised if any of Timberlake, Wilcher, or Washington are starters, let alone all three. We're aiming higher at all three spots it appears; Hubert wants us back to being a top team again.

I also don't think Washington fits as a four. He hasn't proved any 3-pt ability yet, and Hubert wants Manek-type guys. On top of that, Washington showed no ability to defend perimeter guys last year. Imagine Wash trying to stick with a guy like Jordan Miller. I think he's strictly a center until proven otherwise.
I’m giving Wash a little more credit for his game. First time back in action in two years, and really didn’t play a lot. He definitely showed his shooting chops imo. He was slower on the perimeter but once again until you’ve been in his shoes, that first whole year back can be scary for sure.
With time I believe he can be very dangerous as a 4. But kids don’t think they have time these days so who knows.

I’m giving Wash a little more credit for his game. First time back in action in two years, and really didn’t play a lot. He definitely showed his shooting chops imo. He was slower on the perimeter but once again until you’ve been in his shoes, that first whole year back can be scary for sure.
With time I believe he can be very dangerous as a 4. But kids don’t think they have time these days so who knows.
He didn't hit a single three all year. He looked good from mid-range, but again the comparison is to a Brady type guy. We're not looking to muck it up with two bigs like Roy's teams, we want a knockdown shooter. Not a single three all year to shooting 38-40% on high volume would be quite the leap.

Hubert's not trying to start him at the 4 next year, I'm pretty positive about that. If we miss on our targets then maybe he'll have to. I think the plan is for Wash to start at center his junior/senior year. 10-12 minutes a game for him next year backing up Bacot, hopefully getting all his mobility back.

I don't think Hubert shares your opinion though. We're getting heavily rumored about a couple guys, but let's see.
I see that too, understand it I don't.
Wilcher nneds to start, maybe Hubert is planning to go full throttle 3 guard offense in 2024, ahead of Jackson taking the 3 the following year.

He didn't hit a single three all year. He looked good from mid-range, but again the comparison is to a Brady type guy. We're not looking to muck it up with two bigs like Roy's teams, we want a knockdown shooter. Not a single three all year to shooting 38-40% on high volume would be quite the leap.

Hubert's not trying to start him at the 4 next year, I'm pretty positive about that. If we miss on our targets then maybe he'll have to. I think the plan is for Wash to start at center his junior/senior year. 10-12 minutes a game for him next year backing up Bacot, hopefully getting all his mobility back.
I wasn’t comparing him to Brady. If you are looking for a Brady good luck. I see the points can come from others that they are looking for. If you find a Leaky who can score then you don’t need a Brady.

Washington is a shadow of what he was, I have seen him since 8th grade, he will be a full year from his second knee surgery. He was VERY mobile before, hopefully he is ready to move again, because he was extremely limited moving laterally, and passive this year.

The kid can shoot it, 3 as well, he has to be able to move close to how he use to though.

I wasn’t comparing him to Brady. If you are looking for a Brady good luck. I see the points can come from others that they are looking for. If you find a Leaky who can score then you don’t need a Brady.
We're hoping to get both. :)

Brady is the archetype. Doesn't mean the guy has to be that good a shooter, but he should be a lot better than Nance. And I definitely hope we can land a dynamic wing at the 3.

Brady is the archetype. Doesn't mean the guy has to be that good a shooter, but he should be a lot better than Nance. And I definitely hope we can land a dynamic wing at the 3.
We also need to get a good fit for what offense Hubert wants to run. I think part of the reason Nance didn't look as good was because he wasn't a good fit. So, we need a talented player who can shoot and fits the offense. Good luck to Hubert finding 3 of those.

Reactions: gauchoheel

I agree and hope we can get both. I also think nance looked great, when he replaced Bacot down low. Lol played out of position all year unfortunately.

Washington is a shadow of what he was, I have seen him since 8th grade, he will be a full year from his second knee surgery. He was VERY mobile before, hopefully he is ready to move again, because he was extremely limited moving laterally, and passive this year.

The kid can shoot it, 3 as well, he has to be able to move close to how he use to though.
I agree, Jalen was not nearly what he would have been without the knee issues, I consider it a huge win that he got thru the season with no reinjury to that knee. As we have always known, while the docs will clear you to play a year removed from surgery it is always the second year where the kid is able to tap what ever he will have left, as close to 100% as he is going to get. When you combine this with the fact that his start to this season was delayed well after the doctors cleared him to play and just the fact that he is a freshman now going against big time highly experienced and physically developed college players, the hills to cross over became mountains.

I saw a kid that was not nearly ready from a strength and conditioning aspect, seemed to be on roller skates a bit not able to make strong sturdy moves, really confused, just not sure of himself. Frankly, it is not surprising considering what he had to go thru and the challenge placed before him. Kid dramatically needed this off season so that now he can work on his physical weak spots, he needs to live in the weight room and really needs to work on his stamina.

I saw enough this past season from him to realize that turn around jumper is cash money, the form and ease of shot on his treys was there, those should start dropping. I see him as having the ability to be that guy at the 4, that long shot making mid range terror that can block some shots for us on the other end, kind of our version of Lively but ours has a really nice jump shot. I talking about what I think he can do, I do NOT know what he WILL do.

The question becomes, who had you rather invest in, the guy you have that has some fantastic skill but has had the knee issues that seriously needs so much physical work and conditioning or a guy out of the portal that doesn't have the upside that Jalen has but is more physically ready now? Way I see it is go get the best 4 we can get from the portal and let them battle it out for PT and starting spots ect and let the best man win. But having said that, I would prefer the premium be on a power forward in the portal to be more physicality imposing than I see Jalen able to bring us, the combination could be really cool.

I agree, Jalen was not nearly what he would have been without the knee issues, I consider it a huge win that he got thru the season with no reinjury to that knee. As we have always known, while the docs will clear you to play a year removed from surgery it is always the second year where the kid is able to tap what ever he will have left, as close to 100% as he is going to get. When you combine this with the fact that his start to this season was delayed well after the doctors cleared him to play and just the fact that he is a freshman now going against big time highly experienced and physically developed college players, the hills to cross over became mountains.

I saw a kid that was not nearly ready from a strength and conditioning aspect, seemed to be on roller skates a bit not able to make strong sturdy moves, really confused, just not sure of himself. Frankly, it is not surprising considering what he had to go thru and the challenge placed before him. Kid dramatically needed this off season so that now he can work on his physical weak spots, he needs to live in the weight room and really needs to work on his stamina.

I saw enough this past season from him to realize that turn around jumper is cash money, the form and ease of shot on his treys was there, those should start dropping. I see him as having the ability to be that guy at the 4, that long shot making mid range terror that can block some shots for us on the other end, kind of our version of Lively but ours has a really nice jump shot. I talking about what I think he can do, I do NOT know what he WILL do.

The question becomes, who had you rather invest in, the guy you have that has some fantastic skill but has had the knee issues that seriously needs so much physical work and conditioning or a guy out of the portal that doesn't have the upside that Jalen has but is more physically ready now? Way I see it is go get the best 4 we can get from the portal and let them battle it out for PT and starting spots ect and let the best man win. But having said that, I would prefer the premium be on a power forward in the portal to be more physicality imposing than I see Jalen able to bring us, the combination could be really cool.
Believe you have pin pointed a lot of what some of us have felt all along. Jalen from what I observed this year was that he has a nice turn around jumper, but he seems to not fully trust his body yet. There was plays which he did not move laterally well, this should be expected considering what he has been through the past two years. With a good workout and training program over the summer, we should be able to view a different Jalen. But it's going to be a slow process, and bringing in a player for one year to play the 4 is the most sensible thing for Davis to consider. Give Jalen time to fully recover, then we can enjoy him for a year, or maybe two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT