ADVERTISEMENT

What still bothers you the most after all these years?

DaSheed

Senior
Mar 26, 2016
Throughout the years, there are 2 things that consistently bother me and they won’t go away. The first one is the loss to Utah in 1998. Guts decision to have the “Starting 6” in 1997/1998. Makhtar Ndiaye never should have seen the floor during that season except for junk time. Start Brendan Haywood and I’m convinced UNC gets past Utah and cuts down the nets against Kentucky in the National Championship Game.

The other one is Stackhouse injuring his leg on the first play of the game against Arkansas in 1995.. That doesn’t happen and UNC goes on to beat Arkansas and then goes for the title against UCLA. I think UNC wins an incredibly exciting game.

Kendall going down. Youtube UNC vs UK that year during regular season. If they meet in finals it might have been filled with more 1st round picks on both sides we have ever seen in a college final.

Throughout the years, there are 2 things that consistently bother me and they won’t go away. The first one is the loss to Utah in 1998. Guts decision to have the “Starting 6” in 1997/1998. Makhtar Ndiaye never should have seen the floor during that season except for junk time. Start Brendan Haywood and I’m convinced UNC gets past Utah and cuts down the nets against Kentucky in the National Championship Game.

The other one is Stackhouse injuring his leg on the first play of the game against Arkansas in 1995.. That doesn’t happen and UNC goes on to beat Arkansas and then goes for the title against UCLA. I think UNC wins an incredibly exciting game.

We lost that Arkansas game because Dante Calabria picked the wrong day to go ice cold.

Others that stick out:

The 97 and 98 FF games where Shammond Williams shot us to losses with 1/11 and 2/13 performances.

Danya Abrams and Bill Curley playing the games of their lives and beating us in 94, when we had a legit shot at repeating.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The injuries that ruined 1977. If injury free they win it all, and probably easily.

1984. One of the best teams in UNC history. Then UNC plays awful and Indiana plays their best game of the season.

The Gut era. Dean left him a team that should have won at least one national championship. But didn't. Then little did we know that behind the scenes recruiting was falling off to a point that was going to be a killer.

Kendall going down. Another NC that slipped through the fingers due to a key injury.

Jenkins jumper.

We were winning that game in OT and Marcus Paige’s shot would have been the one replayed millions of times.
This is the one I was thinking of. Crushing. I melted into my chair when the Jenkins shot went in. We were clearly the better team and deserved that win.

I agree with all the items on this list. One other one that sticks with me, though I don't recall off the top of my head which year it was in the tourney... we were up by a decent margin against a just OK Georgetown team, and they fought back to hit a shot at the buzzer to take it to OT - and they crushed us in OT. I thought we were better in this game, too. I just never will really think Roy is great or even good at end of game / end-of-half situations, whether behind or protecting a lead.

Regarding regular season - there are a few games that somehow Dook mugged us on, and we somehow stole defeat out of the jaws of victory....but that game where POS punk Scrub Zero Austin Rivers hit a shot over Zeller to win it - after earlier in the game Zeller got totally molested from behind and ended up tipping in a shot for Dook - man that game I can't forget.

Reactions: bluetoe
Seems the 98 game against Utah is a popular choice.... Has stuck with me as well.

Also, I will go to my grave believing that if Kendall had not been purposely injured, we'd beat Kentucky for the Ship.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Seems the 98 game against Utah is a popular choice.... Has stuck with me as well.

Also, I will go to my grave believing that if Kendall had not been purposely injured, we'd beat Kentucky for the Ship.
The 98 game is the worst for me, 97 Zona also. But 98 we were easily the best team, and I’d say the second best was probably Duke, even tho they lost the elite eight. But Kentucky was not elite whatsoever that year. So i think that final 4 should have been pretty easy for us. 2016 hurts the most because of a buzzer beater in the title game. And lastly, 2012 even tho I think that title game was a 50/50 toss up.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Interesting fact about the 98 team I just rediscovered.

In the regular season our only losses were to Duke, MD, and State.

Killed all 3 on the way to winning the ACCT.

I'm going to count that as an undefeated regular season.

I was at that game when Kenny Smith was undercut and got hurt. If I remember correctly we were something like 22-0 at the time. Jordan was a junior having an incredible year. I truly believe had Kenny not been injured that we had a good chance to go undefeated that year. Yes its true it might have been unlikely but we were just steamrolling teams before the Jet went down

That Indiana game with Jordan still haunts me... But the one that I don't know I will ever get over is that game vs UConn, I think it was a final 4 game but we owned the first half, had a solid double digit lead at half time and in that second half, we could not throw the ball in the ocean standing on Johnny Mercer's pier, never seen us as ice cold as we became in that second half. What made it even worse was the Uconn big man sitting watching the game after ours wearing that mega bling $ sign neckless in the stands. It was like rubbing salt in to our wound... Not even sure we scored 10points in that second half after playing so well in the first half, Hanny could not get anything to drop... We get passed that game and we win the natty easy, getting past that game was not in the cards.

That Indiana game with Jordan still haunts me... But the one that I don't know I will ever get over is that game vs UConn, I think it was a final 4 game but we owned the first half, had a solid double digit lead at half time and in that second half, we could not throw the ball in the ocean standing on Johnny Mercer's pier, never seen us as ice cold as we became in that second half. What made it even worse was the Uconn big man sitting watching the game after ours wearing that mega bling $ sign neckless in the stands. It was like rubbing salt in to our wound... Not even sure we scored 10points in that second half after playing so well in the first half, Hanny could not get anything to drop... We get passed that game and we win the natty easy, getting past that game was not in the cards.
Lol final four game vs UConn? Which game was that? Do u mean Zona in 97? Utah 98?

This is the one I was thinking of. Crushing. I melted into my chair when the Jenkins shot went in. We were clearly the better team and deserved that win.

I agree with all the items on this list. One other one that sticks with me, though I don't recall off the top of my head which year it was in the tourney... we were up by a decent margin against a just OK Georgetown team, and they fought back to hit a shot at the buzzer to take it to OT - and they crushed us in OT. I thought we were better in this game, too. I just never will really think Roy is great or even good at end of game / end-of-half situations, whether behind or protecting a lead.

Regarding regular season - there are a few games that somehow Dook mugged us on, and we somehow stole defeat out of the jaws of victory....but that game where POS punk Scrub Zero Austin Rivers hit a shot over Zeller to win it - after earlier in the game Zeller got totally molested from behind and ended up tipping in a shot for Dook - man that game I can't forget.

Reactions: Heelicious
At the time all of these were brutal, but as the years go by, I put them in the following categories:

Like a kick to the nads... 1977, 1984, 1998, 2012, 2016

Like a kick to the shin... 1981, 1991, 1994, 1997, 2008

For those that may not remember, the 91 team beat dooks ass in ACCT by 22 points. Then we lose in the FF to Roy and Kansas when Dean got ejected. Of course dook goes on to win their first under the rat. We could've stomped those turds again in the championship game.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine how anything could be worse than losing a national championship game at the buzzer.
The only thing that softens 2016 is the redemption in 2017. I don't think we win b-t-b natty's as we likely would've had some early departures after 2016, or the drive to win it the next year wouldn't have been as strong,.

Still sucks that Marcus didn't get a ring. Of course, it still sucks that Phil didn't get one either.

Just pissed me off, but Rivers in the Dean Dome—I wanted to run into my glass bar fridge after a 3 point stance
Yeah, that one got me in the doghouse after I dropped the loudest F bomb ever, and woke up the wife, kids and the dog. It was a good thing I didn't have anything in my hand or the TV wouldn't have survived.... LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT