ADVERTISEMENT

Which of Our Departees (if any) Would You Welcome Back?

Which of our departed players would you bring back, if any? Pick up to 3.

• Total voters

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
We have 10 scholarship players and our last target is going somewhere else.

We have 10 good players, who could meet all our needs very well. But some of us worry that an injury, illness, failure to develop, or foul trouble could leave us in a lurch.

Just as a thought experiment, if we could use those remaining 3 scholarships to bring back some of the guys who left, which would you want back, if any?

Listed in order of MPG last season.

I made my choices strategically. Not who I liked best and not who are necessarily the best players - but the players I think fill our needs best for the upcoming season.

Wilcher and Dunn are my choices. They both have skill and versatility. Both seem to be coachable and seem to resist getting big headed. Wilcher would earn significant minutes by his play and Dunn would essentially be insurance against injury.

I made my choices strategically. Not who I liked best and not who are necessarily the best players - but the players I think fill our needs best for the upcoming season.
I voted for Wilcher because I think he is a guy that being some place else and entering the portal AFTER next season would be a good fit, he would be a guy I would hope we would be in the hunt for. There is no one that we have lost that in my opinion would be of much help to us next season considering who we now have on roster.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
PG: Davis, Cadeau, Trimble
SG: Ryan, Wojcik
SF: Ingram
Stretch 4: Withers
C: Bacot, Washington, High

We could desperately use a comboforward so I'd take back any of the guys who could play SF/PF. Particularly Puff or Styles since they are the best defensive options.

Obviously we're going to play some small ball this year to get Cadeau and Davis on the floor together. But I'm currently very worried about our ability to compete against ACC teams should Ingram get into foul trouble or hurt.

PG: Davis, Cadeau, Trimble
SG: Ryan, Wojcik
SF: Ingram
Stretch 4: Withers
C: Bacot, Washington, High

We could desperately use a comboforward so I'd take back any of the guys who could play SF/PF. Particularly Puff or Styles since they are the best defensive options.

Obviously we're going to play some small ball this year to get Cadeau and Davis on the floor together. But I'm currently very worried about our ability to compete against ACC teams should Ingram get into foul trouble or hurt.
Or Bacot.

LOL, have to admit, I find it really funny, that I feel like I am pushing a heavy weight uphill when I argue that my starting 3 is Ingram and 4 is Withers, when I see a list that infers Ingram is the ONLY guy we have that can handle the 3 spot? LOL Sorry but I just find that really funny, considering basically the vast majority are screaming for Ryan to start at the 3, do you not see the humor in that? LOL

I as well can't help but laugh when I see RJ projected on that very same list to be our starting PG and Cadeau come off the bench, I guess there are some that maybe were not paying attention when it became known that RJ was moving to the 2 and Cadeau was starting at the point, is there anyone left that really believes that unless Cadeau gets hurt that he is NOT our starting PG, that RJ will continue to be our starting PG? I mean, really, I don't know what to tell you if that is in fact what you think is going down, trying as best I can to say this fairly and not be a jerk about it.

Desperate to get another 3? I have my depth chart at the 3 as Ingram starter, Ryan main back up (with Ryan as well the primary back up for RJ at the 2, and Paxton as clean up (3rd) at the 3 spot, with Wilcher now gone Paxton is as well 3rd in line at the 2 with Seth challenging RJ for back up PG minutes that I think Seth may well take.

I as well can't help but laugh when I see RJ projected on that very same list to be our starting PG and Cadeau come off the bench
Really? I mean it could happen in November, but I haven't seen any lists projecting RJ starting at point.

The big question for me is whether RJ backs up at point. I think he should, but I know you disagree.

Desperate to get another 3? I have my depth chart at the 3 as Ingram starter, Ryan main back up (with Ryan as well the primary back up for RJ at the 2, and Paxton as clean up (3rd) at the 3 spot, with Wilcher now gone Paxton is as well 3rd in line at the 2 with Seth challenging RJ for back up PG minutes
That's exactly my preference with maybe Seth being 3rd in line at SG.

But of course most people seem to think Ingram will start at PF, with Withers coming off the bench. I only want that if Withers can't handle starting at PF. And frankly, if Withers can't handle starting at PF then, Houston, we have a problem.

Have you eased off your opposition to RJ EVER playing point again?

Or Bacot.
Now Bacot is the 1 guy that things are a bit sketchy if he is not able to go, mainly because the guys I see backing that spot up are not real proven (Jalen and High). Withers did play the 5 as a freshman so he could help out there some.

One thing I did notice from last season is that in a way we played "maybe" a touch better at times when Bacot was out and Nance was in at the 5 because Nance stepped outside a little bit, was not just a inside the paint fixture that Bacot is. It did seem to open up a bit more inside play, cleared the paint out a touch more for drivers and cutters. I think Jalen may give us a good bit of that, more than Nance did with his ability to hit those turn around mid range jumpers and the length to make those hard to challenge once he gets his legs back in to game shape which was not the case last season.

High, at 6'10" now has the length and around 225lbs is not a bad freshman starting weight, he can shoot some even thou he did struggle jump shooting in summer leagues. Personally, I think High becomes a much better player when he gets up around 235lbs, I like his feet. I think he needs to get some meat on his bones and develop a go to move and a counter, needs to work on his off hand more, runs the court really well, has a smoothness about him I like, like he glides at times.

But of course most people seem to think Ingram will start at PF, with Withers coming off the bench. I only want that if Withers can't handle starting at PF. And frankly, if Withers can't handle starting at PF then, Houston, we have a problem.

Change my position that I hope I have seen the last of RJ as our PG??? I absolutely have not!!! LOL

But you know, it will not be my call either, I do worry that Hubert is very likely to have RJ as the back up for Cadeau and stagger the rotation to not have them both on the bench at the same time. I am as well a realist, well I think I am in any event in that Seth does have to shoot better, does have to provide some scoring so defenders do not play him as a driver only and if you are going to drive the ball you have to be a guy that knocks down free throws and as we know, that is a work in progress. I can scream from the top of my lungs that Seth can shoot better than we saw last season and that he can hit free throws to the level you expect from a guy with the ball in his hands so much but until he does it means little or nothing.

Most folks seem to want Ingram at the 4 and start Ryan at the 3 and hey, if Ingram helps us more at the 4 than Withers does then great, put Ingram at the 4 and start Ryan. I just don't think that will be the case. Look, a lot of this is speculation, kinda has to be until games are played and we actually see, right? But I can state as absolute fact that Withers was considered by Louisville insiders and shared by David Sisk to be the 1 guy on that Louisville roster they could less afford to lose for reasons I have shared. Look, on that Louisville team, after you get pass the black hole they had for the ball at the PG position the "other" guy on that roster you really had to handle was Withers which is exactly why Hubert wanted him so much. I do agree with the many that feel Ingram can play the 4 but I like him much more at the 3 and Withers at the 4, for me they are a bit of book end type guys at the 3 and 4 that give us a real physical presence to play with Bacot.

I see Withers as a version of Hicks with a much better jump shot (with range out to the3pt line) and a better interior passer.

I would say right now that if I had to bet everything on who would be our back up PG I would have to bet it would be RJ rather than Seth because I would want to win the bet not who I think it should be.

I see Withers as a version of Hicks with a much better jump shot (with range out to the3pt line) and a better interior passer.
I recall Hicks being a good shooter out to mid-range. Not a 3pt shooter. If Withers is as good as Hicks from 2, and can be a threat from deep, that will be great.

My only complaint about Hicks was that it seemed every jumper was a fall-away jumper - meaning he was no help on the boards when he missed.

FWIW, Hicks had much better TS%, ORtg and DRtg numbers than Withers. But who knows how much better Withers might have done on a good team?

Are we assuming that the player brought back would not cause any issues and be good with anything you ask of him to do?

If that's the case, I'd bring back Caleb Love and make him our 6th man. We would probably have too many guards, but we'd have some explosive potential off the bench.

More realistic, Tyler Nickel. I value big guys that can shoot.

I recall Hicks being a good shooter out to mid-range. Not a 3pt shooter. If Withers is as good as Hicks from 2, and can be a threat from deep, that will be great.

My only complaint about Hicks was that it seemed every jumper was a fall-away jumper - meaning he was no help on the boards when he missed.

FWIW, Hicks had much better TS%, ORtg and DRtg numbers than Withers. But who knows how much better Withers might have done on a good team?
I need to be clear in that I do NOT want to see Withers taking hard contested or rushed jump shots and if he does he will shoot a crap % of those, in other words the exact OPPOSITE type of shots than what Puff starting taking last season. But I don't think Withers will take those kind of looks unless it is desperation due to the shot clock, both he and Ingram will be more inclined to pump and drive on those hard close outs. Manek got away with those because of his shot prep before the catch and his quick release.

As you shared, Hicks looks better on paper than Withers as a mid range guy but the situation Hicks played with, the type of players he played with was much different than what Withers has had. Withers does have a solid shot all the way to the 3pt arch and solid shot selection. Considering he isn't going to be the #2 guy to stop on many opposing teams game plans, I think he gets really clean looks. The one issue I had with Hicks is that he seemed at times to kind of fade in to the game, as opposed to really working for great position to score, didn't demand the ball as much as I felt he should have. He got off early he had a nice scoring total but if he didn't he did score much. I felt Joel really needed look for ops for Hicks more than he did, just to get his game cranked up.

LOL, have to admit, I find it really funny, that I feel like I am pushing a heavy weight uphill when I argue that my starting 3 is Ingram and 4 is Withers, when I see a list that infers Ingram is the ONLY guy we have that can handle the 3 spot? LOL Sorry but I just find that really funny, considering basically the vast majority are screaming for Ryan to start at the 3, do you not see the humor in that? LOL

I as well can't help but laugh when I see RJ projected on that very same list to be our starting PG and Cadeau come off the bench, I guess there are some that maybe were not paying attention when it became known that RJ was moving to the 2 and Cadeau was starting at the point, is there anyone left that really believes that unless Cadeau gets hurt that he is NOT our starting PG, that RJ will continue to be our starting PG? I mean, really, I don't know what to tell you if that is in fact what you think is going down, trying as best I can to say this fairly and not be a jerk about it.

Desperate to get another 3? I have my depth chart at the 3 as Ingram starter, Ryan main back up (with Ryan as well the primary back up for RJ at the 2, and Paxton as clean up (3rd) at the 3 spot, with Wilcher now gone Paxton is as well 3rd in line at the 2 with Seth challenging RJ for back up PG minutes that I think Seth may well take.
I see the 3 spot a little differently Dave. I think with the way College basketball is moving towards a perimeter offensive scheme, that matching up with the opposition is easier with 4 guys that can really move their feet at the 1-4 spots.
We are in complete agreement with the starting backcourt of Cadeau and Davis. There is not even a question there as far as I am concerned. My differences are at the forward positions. I think a 5th year Cormac Ryan was absolutely brought in to be a starter. Now what position was still in question until Cadeau signing. Now I think Ryan at 6'5" can handle the 3 spot as a starter and he will also be the primary backup to Davis at the 2 spot. I pick Ingram to start at the 4 because that spot allows him to play up athleticism wise. He is NOT a gifted athlete and I think would struggle some vs quick 3 guard lineups. At the 4 he can easily guard stretch 4's in today's game, while being g strong enough at 235 lbs to hold his own vs bigger players too.
Withers is my 6th man because he was not as highly recruited out of HS and being a Carolina kid, I think he would be more willing to accept a backup role in year one than say a former 5 🌟 in Ingram.
I think people are missing the boat on Withers being a MUCH BETTER NBA prospect than Ingram, and I can see Withers as being the 2nd best NBA prospect on the roster after Cadeau.
Also don't sleep on Paxton Wojcik!! I think he backs up the 3 spot and plays more min than people expect this season.

I see the 3 spot a little differently Dave. I think with the way College basketball is moving towards a perimeter offensive scheme, that matching up with the opposition is easier with 4 guys that can really move their feet at the 1-4 spots.
We are in complete agreement with the starting backcourt of Cadeau and Davis. There is not even a question there as far as I am concerned. My differences are at the forward positions. I think a 5th year Cormac Ryan was absolutely brought in to be a starter. Now what position was still in question until Cadeau signing. Now I think Ryan at 6'5" can handle the 3 spot as a starter and he will also be the primary backup to Davis at the 2 spot. I pick Ingram to start at the 4 because that spot allows him to play up athleticism wise. He is NOT a gifted athlete and I think would struggle some vs quick 3 guard lineups. At the 4 he can easily guard stretch 4's in today's game, while being g strong enough at 235 lbs to hold his own vs bigger players too.
Withers is my 6th man because he was not as highly recruited out of HS and being a Carolina kid, I think he would be more willing to accept a backup role in year one than say a former 5 🌟 in Ingram.
I think people are missing the boat on Withers being a MUCH BETTER NBA prospect than Ingram, and I can see Withers as being the 2nd best NBA prospect on the roster after Cadeau.
Also don't sleep on Paxton Wojcik!! I think he backs up the 3 spot and plays more min than people expect this season.
The argument to start Ryan at the 3 is a legit argument, I do see the value in it but I want Ingram as the starter at the 3 and Withers starting at the 4. In the college game, not sure I really like the term "starter", I don't think you haver to have a fixed assignments for who begins the game. I really feel like to begin games matchups should be factored in, rather than say Ingram always starts at the 3, why not start Ryan if for that game the opposing 3 is more of a guard than a small forward? Same as if we see a team that actually runs a guard out to play the 4 spot maybe we matchup better with Ryan and Wojick starting that particular game.

Who begins a game in my opinion does not matter as much as who gets the minutes. If a starter got only 2mins of PT in the game what was the value of him being a starter? I tend to want to associate a starter as a guy that gets more minutes at the position than anyone else but that can and should change from 1 game to the next depending on the matchups as well as who is playing well and who may not be.

Reactions: Archer2 and tarwhiz
The argument to start Ryan at the 3 is a legit argument, I do see the value in it but I want Ingram as the starter at the 3 and Withers starting at the 4. In the college game, not sure I really like the term "starter", I don't think you haver to have a fixed assignments for who begins the game. I really feel like to begin games matchups should be factored in, rather than say Ingram always starts at the 3, why not start Ryan if for that game the opposing 3 is more of a guard than a small forward? Same as if we see a team that actually runs a guard out to play the 4 spot maybe we matchup better with Ryan and Wojick starting that particular game.

Who begins a game in my opinion does not matter as much as who gets the minutes. If a starter got only 2mins of PT in the game what was the value of him being a starter? I tend to want to associate a starter as a guy that gets more minutes at the position than anyone else but that can and should change from 1 game to the next depending on the matchups as well as who is playing well and who may not be.

I don't think Withers will take those kind of looks unless it is desperation due to the shot clock
With this squad we should see few-to-none in the desperation shot department. Not only should we have a much better passer on the floor in Cadeau, but we should have an overall higher basketball IQ out there with Ryan, Ingram and Wojcik.

At least that's what I hope happens.

I see Cormac Ryan getting 15 mpg at SG and 15 mpg at SF. Not starting.

Not because he isn't good enough to start - obviously he is - but because it's better for the team to have the flexibility to bring Cormac in wherever and whenever he's needed.

I see Cormac playing SG when RJ is on the bench - making sure Cadeau has experience with him in the back court all the time. Cadeau is a freshman, after all, so that will be best for him.

I see Cormac playing SF when Ingram is on the bench - making sure Withers has that experience out there with him.

When RJ is at point (Cadeau on the bench), Cormac, Seth or Paxson could be at SG.

When Ingram is at PF (Withers on the bench), Cormac or Paxson could be at SF.

If Washington turns the corner, we have even more flexibility but for now I'm just thinking of him and High as backing up Armando. Hoping for more but not counting on it.

100% agree. They have moved on, so have I
Not all of them wanted to move on. I can see not wanting those who didn't want to be here, but some only left because they were recruited over or invited to leave.

I wonder if Dunn would have left, for example, if he had known Wilcher would leave. I doubt it.

The flip side of this question is: Now that they have all found new schools - schools where they are very likely to start - which of them would want to come back?

Not all of them wanted to move on. I can see not wanting those who didn't want to be here, but some only left because they were recruited over or invited to leave.

I wonder if Dunn would have left, for example, if he had known Wilcher would leave. I doubt it.
Not being privy to all the conversations I don’t know who was advised to stay or go. i do understand being an athlete and wanting to play but with my CarolinaBlue hat on I don’t think I could walk without being told I would not be on the floor. I would stay and fight to the end.

Not being privy to all the conversations I don’t know who was advised to stay or go. i do understand being an athlete and wanting to play but with my CarolinaBlue hat on I don’t think I could walk without being told I would not be on the floor. I would stay and fight to the end.
I have no insider info, either, but several here who do seem to have that access have said Hubert explained to several players that they didn't have much playing future here.

It would be interesting to know which of the players who left were given that assessment and which, if any, chose to leave for other reasons, like better transfers coming in.

I doubt all of them were invited to leave, but who knows?

BTW, I say "invited to leave" because that sounds more civilized that other ways to say that. I know some here take exception to that phrasing, but I don't know what else to call it.

We have 10 scholarship players and our last target is going somewhere else.

We have 10 good players, who could meet all our needs very well. But some of us worry that an injury, illness, failure to develop, or foul trouble could leave us in a lurch.

Just as a thought experiment, if we could use those remaining 3 scholarships to bring back some of the guys who left, which would you want back, if any?

Listed in order of MPG last season.
Dunn without a doubt.

Dunn without a doubt.
I'd like to have him back, but didn't vote for him because we don't have a need for that position this year.

We might need him next year, though, if both Cadeau and RJ leave - especially with stories that Ian Jackson plans to hone his PG chops in his last HS year.

At the moment, we might only have Seth Trimble and Jackson in our 2024 backcourt. Not too worried because Fland hasn't committed yet and there's always the portal. Not to mention that RJ and Cadeau might not leave.

Could Drake Powell play SG? Or is his skill set better suited to SF? We might still have Ingram.

I'd like to have him back, but didn't vote for him because we don't have a need for that position this year.

We might need him next year, though, if both Cadeau and RJ leave - especially with stories that Ian Jackson plans to hone his PG chops in his last HS year.

At the moment, we might only have Seth Trimble and Jackson in our 2024 backcourt. Not too worried because Fland hasn't committed yet and there's always the portal. Not to mention that RJ and Cadeau might not leave.

Could Drake Powell play SG? Or is his skill set better suited to SF? We might still have Ingram.
After watching Drake play in person several times, he will be a SF with his frame and ability to guard that position, and create nightmare matchups. Do not envision him being used as a SG at UNC.

After watching Drake play in person several times, he will be a SF with his frame and ability to guard that position, and create nightmare matchups. Do not envision him being used as a SG at UNC.
Then we probably need to add a combo wing. Or 2.

None—-Anyone who has worn Carolina blue will always be part of the Tar Heel family and history but now they have decided to go their own way May they find contentment somewhere else…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT