ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you feel will be the next recruit to committ to UNC

This is an awful lot of mental gymnastics when the simple answer is Cal probably wants both of them. He has signed multiple same position 5 stars in many classes, including 3 classes in the past 6 years where he has signed two 5 star power forwards, so this is hardly surprising.

:confused::rolleyes:
So you had rather really believe that Kal is going to get 2 5star players that play the same position? And you call what I suggest a reach?????????????????????????????????????

Reactions: DSouthrIsDumb
Dave, I am not saying that I think anyone leads for PJ. Just saying that all of the scenarios you laid out might be true but that it might also be as simple as keeping your brand in front of a prospects mind. I am inclined to believe the latter.

And that is a fair position!

:confused::rolleyes:
So you had rather really believe that Kal is going to get 2 5star players that play the same position? And you call what I suggest a reach?????????????????????????????????????

Did you even bother to read the post? Cal has signed multiple same position players 5 stars over the past several years. Including 3 years where he signed multiple 5 star power forwards.

I mean...yeah...but he had also just done BBM and Payne visited also. Eliminating Zona just simply means he's considering 2 teams, with UK being the place he's leaning.

We were all pretty much in agreement on the board that while it's possible his dad was doing this because of his love of UK, none of us thought it was likely. You're not the only one on that bus.

Vandy visiting UK does not change the fact that most experts would be shocked if he didn't go to UK. If Vandy commits before PJ, different story.

Well then it is a good thing the experts are not making the decision for the kid, isn't that true?

Maybe Cal thinks he can land both. It's not like he hasn't recruited 2-3 of the same type of player in the same class before. Look at the PF's in the Randle class.

Oh, but I am reaching with what I offer but you can say Kal is going to get 2 5 star players that play the very same position and some how that is not a reach on YOUR part??? LOL

As usual, I think you're reading way too much into the mind of a 17 year old. I think Vandy likes UK, has visits left, so he's going to go see one of the top programs in the country and have fun for a weekend.

LOL, feel free to believe what ever you will but trust me, your not being in agreement with me is not a shock at all. I could say it is a wonderful sunny day and no matter what you would argue counter. So I frankly do not expect you to agree with me...

You make it seem like every recruit has a Beautiful Mind style tool shed with all of these theories. They don't. They're more concerned with their Twitter mentions.

So what if I do? You are neither required to agree nor expected to, so why does my opinion cause you to obsess so much? Would you rather not read my opinions, easy solution DON'T ! Would you rather see me not allowed to express my opinions? To bad, that is not your decision to make is it. LOL

Did you even bother to read the post? Cal has signed multiple same position players 5 stars over the past several years. Including 3 years where he signed multiple 5 star power forwards.

And that is what you are betting on this time, that Kal will get PJ and Vanderbilt?

LOL, well OK then, here is a hint, PLEASE BET EVERYTHING ON THAT ! LOL

I haven't followed Vanderbilt's recruitment very closely, but if PJ doesn't end up at UK it would be a huge surprise to me.

And that is what you are betting on this time, that Kal will get PJ and Vanderbilt?

LOL, well OK then, here is a hint, PLEASE BET EVERYTHING ON THAT ! LOL

I never said I thought thats what was going to happen, just that he has signed plenty of same position 5 star recruits in the past. I am not sure why you are acting like this is some remote possibility when Cal does it almost every year. So instead of coming up with all these conspiracy theories and saying Cal is pushing PJ to make a decision, I think its much more reasonable to guess he wants both of them.

I never said I thought thats what was going to happen, just that he has signed plenty of same position 5 star recruits in the past. I am not sure why you are acting like this is some remote possibility when Cal does it almost every year. So instead of coming up with all these conspiracy theories and saying Cal is pushing PJ to make a decision, I think its much more reasonable to guess he wants both of them.

Kal signs multiple 5 star players that play the same position every year? Lets test that theory

2010 - signed 2 5 stars a PG and a 2 guard
2011 - 4 5 stars signed, a center, a power forward, a PG and a wing
2012 - 3 5 stars signed a center, a wing, and a 2 guard
2013 - 5 5star players signed, center, PF, wing, 2 guard, and PG
2014 - 4 5stars signed a center, PG, PF, 2 guard
2015 - 3 5stars signed pg, 2 guard, and center
2016 - 5 5stars signed a pg, a 2 guard and 3 PFs

Going back to 2016, you can go back further if you like but you say he sings multiple 5 star players that play the same position every year and yet according to ESPN the only class that is true of is this 2016 class. And considering how much Ky lost out of their front court from last year seem pretty likely to me they now have 3 freshman to be able to spread across the 2 front court positions and maybe have lee as a 4th front court guy.

Point is reality does not agree that Kal signs multiple 5 star players that play the same position every year, isn't that true?

Kal signs multiple 5 star players that play the same position every year? Lets test that theory

2010 - signed 2 5 stars a PG and a 2 guard
2011 - 4 5 stars signed, a center, a power forward, a PG and a wing
2012 - 3 5 stars signed a center, a wing, and a 2 guard
2013 - 5 5star players signed, center, PF, wing, 2 guard, and PG
2014 - 4 5stars signed a center, PG, PF, 2 guard
2015 - 3 5stars signed pg, 2 guard, and center
2016 - 5 5stars signed a pg, a 2 guard and 3 PFs

Going back to 2016, you can go back further if you like but you say he sings multiple 5 star players that play the same position every year and yet according to ESPN the only class that is true of is this 2016 class. And considering how much Ky lost out of their front court from last year seem pretty likely to me they now have 3 freshman to be able to spread across the 2 front court positions and maybe have lee as a 4th front court guy.

Point is reality does not agree that Kal signs multiple 5 star players that play the same position every year, isn't that true?

2009-John Wall and Eric Bledsoe (2 5-star point guards)
2010 - Terrence Jones and Enes Kanter (2 5-star power forwards)
2013 - Julius Randle and Marcus Lee (2 5-star power forwards)
2015 - Isaiah Briscoe and Jamal Murray (2 5-star point guards)
2016 - Bam Adebayo, Wenyen Gabriel, and Sacha Killeya-Jones (3 5-star power forwards)

I assume to a rational person this is sufficient enough evidence to show that Not only will John Calipari recruit 5 stars at the same position, but he seems to do it quite a bit and prefer it. But, I am not sure Im dealing with rationality here unfortunately.

I don't know what is weirder... that DSouth has these in the mind of teenagers across the world insight or that he is so condescending to others about what they think is possible.

Reactions: carolinablue34
Dave...in 2013 he signed PF's Julius Randle #2, Dakari Johnson #8, Marcus Lee #14 in the same class. Oh, and he had Poythress on the team already (#7 the year before).

To say he won't recruit 2 players that play the same position is just factually incorrect. I don't know why you continue to argue otherwise when you've been proven wrong.

Dave...in 2013 he signed PF's Julius Randle #2, Dakari Johnson #8, Marcus Lee #14 in the same class. Oh, and he had Poythress on the team already (#7 the year before).

To say he won't recruit 2 players that play the same position is just factually incorrect. I don't know why you continue to argue otherwise when you've been proven wrong.
To be fair, I think Dakari was a Center.

Yea Dakari was a center. Are SKJ and Gabriel really considered one and done? I dont think they are one and done material.

Sorry, my mistake...so 2 PF's from 2013 and the #7 from 2012. But yeah, Cal won't recruit more than one player per position. Yeah right.

If I were a recruit like PJ or so on, I would be very... cautious of UK right now because there is a strong possibility not all those players would leave after 1 year.

That is kind of what strikes me as weird about UK's style. They are recruiting on the basis the spots will be open when they don't really know that for sure or not.

I don't know what is weirder... that DSouth has these in the mind of teenagers across the world insight or that he is so condescending to others about what they think is possible.

I am actually not trying in any way to be condescending to anyone other than those that seem to feel the need to attack me. I come here just to discuss, not one bit looking to get in to the nonsense that gets throw my direction. Why should I be required to agree with something I do not agree with? Why is it others can attack me all day long but let me answer back and I am the problem?

If I were a recruit like PJ or so on, I would be very... cautious of UK right now because there is a strong possibility not all those players would leave after 1 year.

That is kind of what strikes me as weird about UK's style. They are recruiting on the basis the spots will be open when they don't really know that for sure or not.

Exactly. I dont think their "one and dones" are as clear cut as years past.

Marcus Lee was a 4star per ESPN, Dakari was a center. Now the discussion was concerning the poster stating that kal signs multiple 5 star players every year. So maybe you might want to actually understand the discussion before you join in on it? OR would you like to state that Kal does sign multiple 5 stars players that play the same position every year?

Kinda cute what ya did there, yet again you tried to put words in my mouth I did not say. You have a real obsession with doing that, fact is I have NEVER said kal has not recruited multiple 5 star players to play at the same position, my reply was that he does not get that every year as the poster claimed and in fact what, 1 time since 2016? When I am proven wrong I always stand up and admit it but you have not proven me wrong, all you seem to want to do is make up stuff I have not said and make a claim against that. I have told you about that time & time again, don't know why you can not stop doing that. That is exactly how I am going to treat you from now on, I am going to spin what you say in to something you didn't and claim you did, just like you do to me.

So I am not on the fence, I will clearly state that I do not believe that Kal will get BOTH PJ and Vanderbilt. Do you now clearly state for the record that Kal will get both PJ and Vanderbilt?

Exactly. I dont think their "one and dones" are as clear cut as years past.

I agree, IMO it is a lot less clear that many of their teams have been. The most likely projected seems to be Bam but Bam is not a great scorer, high motor defender that attacks the boards but most of the time the NBA is looking more for scorers than defenders in my opinion.

Might be the best thing that could happen is if a few guys stayed and bungled up the rhythm of OAD. Would require some recruits to pause and take a look around. We all know that this cycle of recruiting for UK won't last. I am interested in what might make it downturn sooner rather than later.

Marcus Lee was a 4star per ESPN

5 star per Rivals, Scout, 24/7. You conveniently chose the 1 place that named him a 4 star.

3 sites say 5 star, 1 site says 4. In Dave world that means 4 star apparently.

Might be the best thing that could happen is if a few guys stayed and bungled up the rhythm of OAD. Would require some recruits to pause and take a look around. We all know that this cycle of recruiting for UK won't last. I am interested in what might make it downturn sooner rather than later.
That happened in 2015 and they almost went undefeated. Please don't wish that upon them again!

5 star per Rivals, Scout, 24/7. You conveniently chose the 1 place that named him a 4 star.

3 sites say 5 star, 1 site says 4. In Dave world that means 4 star apparently.

I googled and ESPN came up first so I used that for all of the lists. There you go again, looking to pick a nit anything I say.

But lets cut to the chase here dadinka, lets go right o the heart of the matter. I have siad and maintain that Ky will NOT get BOTH PJ and Vanderbilt, that was what all this was about in the first place. You seem to need to argue that I am wrong, well stand up then, make your claim big boy, take a stand, stand for something, IF I AM WRONG DO YOU TAKE THE POSITION THAT KALIPARI WILL IN FACT GET BOTH PJ AND VANDERBILT???

I typed that question in all caps, I bolded it, I underlined it, you can't miss it!

I googled and ESPN came up first so I used that for all of the lists. There you go again, looking to pick a nit anything I say.

But lets cut to the chase here dadinka, lets go right o the heart of the matter. I have siad and maintain that Ky will NOT get BOTH PJ and Vanderbilt, that was what all this was about in the first place. You seem to need to argue that I am wrong, well stand up then, make your claim big boy, take a stand, stand for something, IF I AM WRONG DO YOU TAKE THE POSITION THAT KALIPARI WILL IN FACT GET BOTH PJ AND VANDERBILT???

I typed that question in all caps, I bolded it, I underlined it, you can't miss it!

dc41a6cd7f7d731c61fbd90603423384.jpg

Reactions: carolinablue34

Geez, dude. What you fail to realize again. You are making huge leaps in your "assessments". And, when someone points out why it is wrong you get all flustered.

You are saying they are being put on strings to force the other to commit. And, that Vanderbilt wouldn't have been given a visit otherwise because they won't sign both.

They show evidence he has signed multiple at a position many years.

Then instead of truly acknowledging it. You go back to how he won't again with no real basis to support it besides you are saying he won't.

Geez, dude. What you fail to realize again. You are making huge leaps in your "assessments". And, when someone points out why it is wrong you get all flustered.

You are saying they are being put on strings to force the other to commit. And, that Vanderbilt wouldn't have been given a visit otherwise because they won't sign both.

They show evidence he has signed multiple at a position many years.

Then instead of truly acknowledging it. You go back to how he won't again with no real basis to support it besides you are saying he won't.

I am not flustered at all other than having to deal with folks that seem to want to argue just for the sake of argument? Did ya not see the question, my position is that Ky will NOT get BOTH PJ and Vanderbilt, you say I am wrong, you say my belief that Ky does not get both PJ and Vanderbilt is a "huge leap assessment".

"They show evidence he has signed multiple at a position many years." < YOUR quoted words, the discussion was a poster making the claim that Kal sings multiple 5 stars that play the same position every year. Now you change the word "every" year to "many" years? Funny how since 2016 per ESPN your many years actually equals 1 year. Not that it matters in any event because that was just a small part of the question of Kal signing BOTH PJ and Vanderbilt or as I say Kal at most will get only 1 IMO.

So, take your stand... IF I AM WRONG DO YOU TAKE THE POSITION THAT KALIPARI WILL IN FACT GET BOTH PJ AND VANDERBILT???

I think some of you need to go back and reexamine some of these recruitment. Where they played in College does not imply what they were recruited for.

In 2009, Bledsoe was not listed as a 5 * PG in either ESPN or 247. He wasn't even ranked in ESPN's. (Keep in mind Rivals and Scout's rankings are the least appreciated compared to ESPN's and 247s.)

In 2010, Terrence Jones was a SF while Kanter was a PF.

In 2013, Lee was listed as both a C and a PF but he was supposedly expected to back up Dakari Jones, as he was the most raw of the recruits in the 2013 class. And the only other school that was on his list before Kentucky got involved was Cal. Furhtermore, he was not a projected OAD. Now I don't know about you, but choosing between the 1 year removed national champions vs......Cal? No contest.

In 2015, Jamal Murray was a Shooting Guard coming out of high school, while Briscoe was a PG. And Jamal Murray wasn't even ranked on most rankings until late due to being an international player. I don't recall his recruitment, but I'd bet he flew under the radar

So for the most part, DSouthr is actually right.

I'll also go on record that I think there is zero chance that Cal gets both PJ and Vanderbilt. Neither of these guys take me as the types who want to clump up with the best players at one school. But if they do, which one of those guys is going to the bench with Richards and SKJ on board? Not to mention experienced Wynyard and Humphries.

Nevermind the wildcard known as Mohammed Bamba.

Dave, relax. Take a breath, it's just a message board.

They may get both, they may not get both. The fact is that if they don't get both it won't be because Cal doesn't believe in recruiting 2 players at the same position.

In 2009, Bledsoe was not listed as a 5 * PG in either ESPN or 247. He wasn't even ranked in ESPN's. (Keep in mind Rivals and Scout's rankings are the least appreciated compared to ESPN's and 247s.)

Well...that's just false. Rivals and Scout have a much deeper team of analysts and scouts than ESPN and 247. Opinions vary, but to say that ESPN and 247 are more appreciated as a fact is false.

Plus, Cal didn't recruit Bledsoe. He signed while Cal was still coaching Memphis.

In 2015, Jamal Murray was a Shooting Guard coming out of high school, while Briscoe was a PG. And Jamal Murray wasn't even ranked on most rankings until late due to being an international player. I don't recall his recruitment, but I'd bet he flew under the radar

He was a 5* ranked in the top 25. How under the radar is that? He wasn't on most rankings for that year because he reclassified. He was ranked all year, you were just looking at the wrong year.

Supporting opinions with incorrect facts or just more opinions is lame.

The point I and I think others are making is that Cal will recruit players at the same position, fact, end of story. No matter how many nonsensical paragraphs you type and strawmen you try and pull out to cover that up the facts are what they are.

That doesnt mean that I think both Vanderbilt and PJ will end up there, I was simply pointing out that Calipari recruiting both of them is in no way out of the ordinary and Im sure he wants them both if he can have them. Rather than resort to all sorts of bizarre theories of what is going through a 17 year olds head I prefer to keep things simple and in this case its obvious Cal is recruiting both of them, and its likely he would take both of them.

The point I and I think others are making is that Cal will recruit players at the same position, fact, end of story. No matter how many nonsensical paragraphs you type and strawmen you try and pull out to cover that up the facts are what they are.

That doesnt mean that I think both Vanderbilt and PJ will end up there, I was simply pointing out that Calipari recruiting both of them is in no way out of the ordinary and Im sure he wants them both if he can have them. Rather than resort to all sorts of bizarre theories of what is going through a 17 year olds head I prefer to keep things simple and in this case its obvious Cal is recruiting both of them, and its likely he would take both of them.

Yep. This exactly.

Of course Cal will recruit multiple 5* recruits at the same position and will sometimes sign them. The more relevant questions are whether PJ and Vanderbilt would want to compete with one another for PT and whether you feel UK will end up signing both. All the bickering about he said-she said is ridiculous. Again, these are fan's opinions. If you disagree, ignore what they say or just say you disagree. All this bickering is getting real old.

Some of you guys that are so adverse to a little bickering , must not have grown up with a brother close to your age or in a work environment with a lot of sports fans. I personally think the bickering keeps things from being boring as shat.

Some of you guys that are so adverse to a little bickering , must not have grown up with a brother close to your age or in a work environment with a lot of sports fans. I personally think the bickering keeps things from being boring as shat.
Our board is devolving into the same people bickering over and over again. No one minds a little bickering but it's getting ridiculous. I think most of the fans and the mods would agree.

I think PJ is still going to end up at UK. I do think they are considering the possibility UNC is a better fit because he is probably not a OAD guy though. They seem to like the feeling they got here but also like the kind of hipness or whatever that is UK as well. Honestly, both are great schools with great coaches. I obviously think he would fit in better at UNC and think they believe he would fit in great here as well. We'll see what happens.

I would be thrilled if PJ was our next commit. And while UK is hard to beat out for a recruit of his caliber, I think we have a decent chance. Keeping my fingers crossed. Isn't he theoretically supposed to commit shortly?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT