ADVERTISEMENT

Who's On Your Ten-Year Team?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
The challenge is to build your best team from our last 10 years of teams, starting with 2015.

During that time, we had 1 Championship and 2 Runner-up teams. So the problem isn't how you come up with enough players, but who you leave off.

Here's the list I started with, dated by when they first appeared in Carolina blue (or 2015 if they were already on the team then).

I came up with 21 guys, so I need to lose 8 of them to get down to a 13-man roster. Getting down to 16 isn't too hard. A couple on my list were already "honorable mentions" in my mind when I added them. But ditching the last 3 is going to be hard.

Needless to say, other folks may have somewhat different starting lists.

Marcus
Brice
Kennedy
Isaiah
JP
Justin

Joel
Theo
Luke
Kenny

Brandon

Cam
Garrison

Coby
Leaky

Cole

RJ
Armando

Brady

Harrison
Cormac

My starting 5 would be:

Coby White (PG)
RJ Davis (SG)
Justin Jackson (SF)
Brady Manek (PF)
Armando Bacot (C)

I’ll pick the other 8 names out of a hat and finish an undefeated season blowing out UCONN for the 2025 Championship

Marcus - PG
Theo - SG
Cam - SF
Brady - PF
Mando - C

Joel - PG
JJ - SF, PF
Coby - PG, SG
Brice - PF, C
RJ - PG, SG
Luke - PF, C
HI - SF, PF
Kennedy - C

I picked my starters based on how the game is played today. I have 3 lights out shooters, one utility guy and Mando cleaning up the boards. If the game was played 10 years ago or more, I might choose a different starting 5 that matches that era more. For example, Brice was certainly a better player than Brady but Brady's shooting from the 4 position was so valuable in today's game.

Reactions: Psychward4
Joel
Marcus
Cam
Justin
Brady

Coby
RJ
Theo
Brice
Mando
Hicks
Harrison
Cole

My starters can fill it up from deep from all over court and my bench can come in with defense and scoring as needed.

I'd go big with the guys on this list...

PG: Coby White
SG: Justin Jackson
SF: Cam Johnson
PF: Brice Johnson
C: Armando Bacot

Have bench guys that can come in and contribute by hitting shots, rebounding, and defending. I just think being that big throughout the entirety of the would be tough to defend and impossible to keep off the glass!

Coming off the bench I'd have: RJ Davis, Marcus Paige, Theo Pinson, Harrison Ingram, Brady Manek, and Kennedy Meeks.

The starting 5 would be good defensively with extreme length and athleticism, not to mention great shot making with Coby, Justin, and Cam. Armando and Brice cleaning up the boards and scoring on the block. Great shot blocking skills with those two as well.

My starting 5 would be:

Coby White (PG)
RJ Davis (SG)
Justin Jackson (SF)
Brady Manek (PF)
Armando Bacot (C)
Good thing this is an opinion poll but TBH anybody that would put RJ and Bacot on that team has been grubbing on some gummies. Woefully undersized 2 and a totally below the rim 5 with zero shot repertoire. I'd put RJ on the top 5 FT shooting team though, but Bacot was a very unimpressive player in his 5-6 yrs. jmo man ..Those guys played on a team as juniors+ that was ranked #1 pre-season and didn't even make the NCAAT and lost as seniors+ in the NCAAT 16 to a really bad bama team!! I have never been a big fan of either but I respect your opinion.

Good thing this is an opinion poll but TBH anybody that would put RJ and Bacot on that team has been grubbing on some gummies. Woefully undersized 2 and a totally below the rim 5 with zero shot repertoire. I'd put RJ on the top 5 FT shooting team though, but Bacot was a very unimpressive player in his 5-6 yrs. jmo man ..Those guys played on a team as juniors+ that was ranked #1 pre-season and didn't even make the NCAAT and lost as seniors+ in the NCAAT 16 to a really bad bama team!! I have never been a big fan of either but I respect your opinion.

I disagree and feel you’ve been overly critical of both players, especially Mando. I understand where you’re coming from. We’ve had some frustrating years in his (their) tenure. Ups and downs, coaching changes, different landscape, etc. But despite that, Mando was a super productive player, an all time rebounder and a guy that became a very good defender in his last year. He can’t really help that maybe all the pieces didn’t fit right at times. Thats not his fault. Aside from that, he’s been a great teammate and an inspiring spokesperson for the program. I think he’s earned a bit more respect than you’re giving him or at least a little more tact in your criticisms. And I say that while acknowledging some truth in what you wrote. Just my personal opinion of his legacy.

But that’s not even why I started to respond to your poast. I initially thought to respond because you’re taking some of us to task for putting Mando in the starting 5 of this hypothetical exercise; insinuating that we’re high. I really just wanted to ask who you would possibly put as a starter at the center position if not Mando.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
But that’s not even why I started to respond to your poast. I initially thought to respond because you’re taking some of us to task for putting Mando in the starting 5 of this hypothetical exercise; insinuating that we’re high. I really just wanted to ask who you would possibly put as a starter at the center position if not Mando.
I agree that Bacot has been an excellent ambassador for UNC athletics and I could understand why, since he has been at UNC for 5 of the 10 years and has compiled quite an impressive stat line, that someone would tag him as the starting 5 on that hypothetical team so the inference about being "high" might have been a bit out of place. I never even considered Bacot as I think Bryce Johnson was a much better inside player both offensively and defensively than Bacot so I would have Bryce at the 5 with Manek, Cam, Justin and Marcus.

Mando (if im not allowed to pick a super senior version of Dayron Sharpe)
4- Manek
3-Cam
2 RJ
1 Coby

People seem to forget JJ put up a 28% 3pt in 2016. I feel much safer with cam/rj

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT