ADVERTISEMENT

Will this Be a Good Year for Alley Oops?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Theo has turned into our most entertaining and perhaps best passer.

Seventh struggled to get the ball inside last season, but kept trying. With a year under his belt and some good targets, I can see him thriving.

Jalek showed us some nifty passing in the scrimmage.

And we have Joel.

The question is, with Kennedy, Isaiah, Justin and Tony gone, who are the best targets for our passers? In particular, do we have any good prospects to be on the receiving end of alley oops?

I recall reading somewhere that Huff is quick off the floor. I don't recall seeing that in the clips, but I hope so. With height, quick elevation and his love of dunking, he could become a favorite target and could force defenders to collapse on him - with benefits for everyone else.

Garrison, Cam and, of course, Theo could be options. Maybe BRob. Not as tall but all move well.

I don't expect too much from Sterling or Walker this year, but Sterling has the height and reach and Walker is also tall and looks pretty quick. They could surprise.

Theo has turned into our most entertaining and perhaps best passer.

Seventh struggled to get the ball inside last season, but kept trying. With a year under his belt and some good targets, I can see him thriving.

Jalek showed us some nifty passing in the scrimmage.

And we have Joel.

The question is, with Kennedy, Isaiah, Justin and Tony gone, who are the best targets for our passers? In particular, do we have any good prospects to be on the receiving end of alley oops?

I recall reading somewhere that Huff is quick off the floor. I don't recall seeing that in the clips, but I hope so. With height, quick elevation and his love of dunking, he could become a favorite target and could force defenders to collapse on him - with benefits for everyone else.

Garrison, Cam and, of course, Theo could be options. Maybe BRob. Not as tall but all move well.

I don't expect too much from Sterling or Walker this year, but Sterling has the height and reach and Walker is also tall and looks pretty quick. They could surprise.

OK, with 7th, IMO the game was a little fast for him last year, it is for most freshmen. For many freshmen their PT allows them to acclimate to the pace and the game slows down but if they do not get solid PT then it is harder for them to catch up. 7th was dinged up going in to last season anyway so it was just hard for him to catch up and get comfortable. He has had a healthy off season and from what I hear the belief is that he will turn the corner this season, I know I really want to see that happen for the kid.

With Huff, not sure I would call him quick off the floor as much as I would suggest strong off the floor meaning he has the strength to play thru contact and that attacking mindset that says dunk it and tear the rim down if I have to. What he is going to need to develop is being able to present himself for a clear passing lane in to him, making sure of the catch and taking his time, not feeling he has to rush his motion and maybe the value of a good pump fake.

Where I think Manley and Walker will struggle is having that solid base under them to be able to go up thru contact, legs strength/balance and getting used to contact. Brooks to me is more a finesse guy but IMO has the ability to play with more strength than I have seen him prior to college. I am hoping Roy can pull a bit more aggressive attacking style out of him early on.

OK, with 7th, IMO the game was a little fast for him last year, it is for most freshmen. For many freshmen their PT allows them to acclimate to the pace and the game slows down but if they do not get solid PT then it is harder for them to catch up. 7th was dinged up going in to last season anyway so it was just hard for him to catch up and get comfortable. He has had a healthy off season and from what I hear the belief is that he will turn the corner this season, I know I really want to see that happen for the kid.

With Huff, not sure I would call him quick off the floor as much as I would suggest strong off the floor meaning he has the strength to play thru contact and that attacking mindset that says dunk it and tear the rim down if I have to. What he is going to need to develop is being able to present himself for a clear passing lane in to him, making sure of the catch and taking his time, not feeling he has to rush his motion and maybe the value of a good pump fake.

Where I think Manley and Walker will struggle is having that solid base under them to be able to go up thru contact, legs strength/balance and getting used to contact. Brooks to me is more a finesse guy but IMO has the ability to play with more strength than I have seen him prior to college. I am hoping Roy can pull a bit more aggressive attacking style out of him early on.
I also think part of 7th's problem was trying to pass in to Kennedy. Kennedy doesn't go up for the ball, and when 7th tried to pass to him, his passes were too often low enough to be intercepted or deflected by a defender. I'm hoping he'll have bouncier targets this year, in addition to the points you made.

That's not knock on Kennedy. It's just that elevating quickly and high was not among his many strengths.

Jalek and Huff looked good together in AAU, Jalek could sure find him and Huff was dunking often. Love to see the wrap around from Jalek to Huff for the dunk.
As to the OP, yep, we'll see some Opps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT