ADVERTISEMENT

Will we beat UGA?

Will Carolina beat UGA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope i am wrong on this but i dont think we do. Last 2 times we opened with an sec team we s!#/ the bed. After watching the baylor game agaisnt us i still dont see us stopping the run against a big strong sec front. Unless we have somehow become monsters up front on defense i just dont see it. GA will have a new coach and qb running a new system so there is hope

I voted "no." I love the Heels and I will be there in the Georgia Dome screaming my head off.......but I know we are going to lose. Like @wilsinnc said, the last two times we opened with an SEC team, we s*** the bed, including last year when that SCar team was much, much worse than we were. Keep in mind that this will be a very, very pro-UGA crowd. If we have even 35% of the crowd in Carolina blue, it will be a minor miracle.

We will lose because of one reason: rush defense. It won't matter if UGA starts much-heralded Jacob Eason or veteran ex-Hoo Grayson Allen at QB because either way, it will be a constant and steady dose of Nick Chubb pounding the rock, with Sony Michel coming in as the change-of-pace back. We still aren't strong or big enough up front to compete with SEC OLmen and running games.

Our offense should keep us in it I hope, but ultimately, the offense will have to score on darn near all of its possessions for us to win, IMO.

Yes we have a puncher's chance. Georgia's defense has been their achilles heel (pardon the pun) the last couple of years.

I voted no. You put the UGA team in BC jerseys and play the game in Chapel Hill, UNC would win.

They will lose because I think the team just fears that SEC logo on their jerseys, and the game while allegedly neutral site, is being played in Georgia and will be over 2/3 Georgia fans.

I assume Chubb will go for 175 and 3 scores.

The run defense better be 100xs better if we stand a chance in this one. I hope our dl can stand up to their ol an vis versa. This game will be won in the trenches. Dont think their d will be a sore spot this yr with kirby smart as the coach. That is his bread and butter

I voted no. You put the UGA team in BC jerseys and play the game in Chapel Hill, UNC would win.

They will lose because I think the team just fears that SEC logo on their jerseys, and the game while allegedly neutral site, is being played in Georgia and will be over 2/3 Georgia fans.

I assume Chubb will go for 175 and 3 scores.
Agreed 100% and I've made this argument before (the part I bolded and underlined). You re-play that opener from last year and put SCar in like Texas Tech or Oregon State jerseys, and we would've won by two TDs. This program seems to not be able, mentally, to compete when a high-profile team lines up against us. I hope they changes soon.

I voted yes and it is due to the vast improvement seen on the defensive side of the ball, UGa breaking in a new coach, staff and system. Power running, etc really isn't that complicated but I just feel like there will be some stops by our D and a turnover or two that goes our way. I don't think UGa will be able to score with us.

Reactions: Louigi
I voted yes and it is due to the vast improvement seen on the defensive side of the ball, UGa breaking in a new coach, staff and system. Power running, etc really isn't that complicated but I just feel like there will be some stops by our D and a turnover or two that goes our way. I don't think UGa will be able to score with us.
Agreed. If we play the run like we did against Baylor, we will get gashed and lose. If we can stuff the run, we win. Big IF.

I hope i am wrong on this but i dont think we do. Last 2 times we opened with an sec team we s!#/ the bed. After watching the baylor game agaisnt us i still dont see us stopping the run against a big strong sec front. Unless we have somehow become monsters up front on defense i just dont see it. GA will have a new coach and qb running a new system so there is hope

I don't think so,Mitch won't have the deer in the headlights type game Marquise did against the lamecocks.I think our passing game will do well against the dogs secondary.The thing that concerns me going into the season is our depth.

Reactions: Archer2
I agree with those who say that the program seems to be mentally set against being able to defeat a 'name brand' from the SEC especially but also from other conferences. It seems that the program has become convinced that it is a football team of a basketball school and so incapable of being better than the Big Boys in football.

Such mental crippling can go away only when the team has finally beaten such a Name Brand. That said, the UGA game is more important than any ACC game we have played since Clemson in '81.

We lack the DL depth and top winning experience and raw talent to stop the UGA rushing game. But we can slow it if we play our best team D and take advantage of any UGA miscues. And that means we can be in the game late in the 4th quarter.

This mental mountain we can't seem to top makes me think of 2 things. One, how Butch Davis had instilled the fierce pride of winners in the program so that we came back against LSU and should have won, with half the starting D (including its best player) and the team's top WR sitting. And two, that Dick Crum won 4 consecutive bowls against Name Brand football powers.

I think it all comes down to our run defense. GA was average at best in the passing game last year. Given that it will be a new system and new coach I think the passing game is still going to be average for at least the first few games. If we can contain Chubb (less than 125 yards) then we win I think.

Reactions: Archer2
I think it all comes down to our run defense.
I agree, and that's why we'll lose.

GA was average at best in the passing game last year. Given that it will be a new system and new coach I think the passing game is still going to be average for at least the first few games.
Just for clarity, I do not believe it's a new offensive system. Kirby Smart is maintaining UGA's mostly pro-style offense that features some shotgun but mostly under center.

I agree, and that's why we'll lose.

So you don't think there will be any improvement in the run defense? I think there should be some improvement since this will be year 2 in the system. I know we lost some personnel, but I think we will see some improvement.

Just for clarity, I do not believe it's a new offensive system. Kirby Smart is maintaining UGA's mostly pro-style offense that features some shotgun but mostly under center.

I probably should have said new playbook instead of new system. Either way there are going to be some issues coming out in the first game with a new playbook and new coach. The question will be how big will those issues be and how quick they can adjust.

So you don't think there will be any improvement in the run defense? I think there should be some improvement since this will be year 2 in the system. I know we lost some personnel, but I think we will see some improvement.
It will improve, sure, but it's relative. There's substantial improvement needed from where our rush defense was last year. Keep in mind that even Delaware gashed our rush defense. Also keep in mind that Nick Chubb is one of the three best, if not the best, running back in the nation and runs behind an SEC-caliber offensive line. If we hold Chubb and Michel combined to under 175 yards, I would be over the moon.

UGa's 2015 games against good offenses. vs. Tenn over 500 total yards , vs. Bama 379 total yards(rarely had to drive far) vs. UF (a one dimensional offense with Treon Harris) 413 total yards.
Remainder of games vs. Vandy , SoCar , ULM , Southern , Mo. , UK , Auburn , Gt and PSU every one of these offenses struggled all year. Ratings can be deceiving.

Reactions: lerario and Archer2
Georgia's defense held 9 of 13 opponents below their season average. In total, they held opponents to 17% fewer yards than their season averages.

In 10 wins, they held opponents 26% below their season averages. Even in their 3 losses, they held opponents to 11% below their season averages.

Last edited:
Reactions: lerario
Tell yourself anything y'all want to make you think the Heels will win.

But they won't. It is what it is. We're mentally weak against brand-name teams.
I only said we had a "puncher's chance". For the record Bama averaged 425.4 yards per game and got 379 against UGa , but the score was 38-10 vs. a usual point differential of 18.8. UF averaged 334.9 and got 413 won 27-3 vs. a point differential of 4.9 and Tenn. got 500+ and won 38-31 (over came a big deficit) vs. usual point differential of 12.7. I think Hood can run on them and Trubisky has the potential for a big game , but Chubb and Michel will probably wear us down and Eason is the real deal. Did you see some of his passes in the spring game? We don't score a lot then we probably lose big.

Man, there are quite a few naysayers on this thread. And I understand where you guys are all coming from, last year we struggled against the run and we are going up against a top flight rushing team. BUT we have one thing that I truly believe that no SEC team has, and that is the sweet hum of a Larry Fedora offense. I know a lot of you guys say that the Georgia defense is ranked this and that and Kirby Smart is a defensive whiz, etc. but if we can breathe down Brent Venables neck with all the studs that Clemson defense had/has then we can sure give Georgia a run for their money too. Personally I'm on the fence about whether we will come out winning or losing, (I'll put win just to answer the question because sue me, I'm an optimist) but I think if our run defense shows up there's no reason to think we can't pull the upset. Plus isn't Georgia notorious for coming out flat footed in opening games? Also God I hope they play Grayson Allen, kid is trash.

Man, there are quite a few naysayers on this thread. And I understand where you guys are all coming from, last year we struggled against the run and we are going up against a top flight rushing team. BUT we have one thing that I truly believe that no SEC team has, and that is the sweet hum of a Larry Fedora offense. I know a lot of you guys say that the Georgia defense is ranked this and that and Kirby Smart is a defensive whiz, etc. but if we can breathe down Brent Venables neck with all the studs that Clemson defense had/has then we can sure give Georgia a run for their money too. Personally I'm on the fence about whether we will come out winning or losing, (I'll put win just to answer the question because sue me, I'm an optimist) but I think if our run defense shows up there's no reason to think we can't pull the upset. Plus isn't Georgia notorious for coming out flat footed in opening games? Also God I hope they play Grayson Allen, kid is trash.
you mean Greyson Lambert?

Reactions: Raising Heel
Last year's Clemson and last year's Baylor were both much stronger opponents than this year's Georgia.

Tell yourself anything y'all want to make you think the Heels will win.

But they won't. It is what it is. We're mentally weak against brand-name teams.
I want to argue with you here and call you names, but I can't. It's our D versus their run man! And you are right, we are still not physically or mentally built to stop it, not the type of run game UGA will bring. And @Raising Heel brings up a really good point regarding their D as well. If they can throw our offense off just a little I believe we won't be able to make enough stops to win.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I know a lot of you guys say that the Georgia defense is ranked this and that and Kirby Smart is a defensive whiz, etc. but if we can breathe down Brent Venables neck with all the studs that Clemson defense had/has then we can sure give Georgia a run for their money too.
This is a fair point. Unfortunately, I'm never going to understand how last year's team only managed to score 13 points in the opener against USCjr last season. Our next worse offensive performance was 26 points. Makes no sense at all.

Also God I hope they play Grayson Allen, kid is trash.
This is the funniest thing I have read all day.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I think it was due to the fact we were not ready to play consistent offense in our first game. Something very important happened to our team around halftime of the Georgia Tech game, and it carried us through the regular season. In fact, we played some good offensive series against Clemson and Baylor.

Lambert is no star QB, but he has been the starter for a large number of Ws. Plus, the true frosh Eason is all but certain to be an early 1st round NFL pick in 3 years. He will play against us. So I see the Dawg QBs as more than able to wait patently while the Dawg RBs run it up the gut. If we cannot at least slow the UGA RBs, I could QB the Dawgs to a W over us - I can hand off to great RBs against a run D that can't stop them.

Hopefully, our D can slow their run, and our offense can move the ball every series. Our passing game needs to make UGA LBs and DBs keep back pedaling.

I would not be surprised by a UNC W by 3, maybe 7, nor by a UGA W of 3 scores. If the former, this could be the break through season we have longed awaited.

Reactions: jaluise
This is a fair point. Unfortunately, I'm never going to understand how last year's team only managed to score 13 points in the opener against USCjr last season. Our next worse offensive performance was 26 points. Makes no sense at all.

This is the funniest thing I have read all day.

Well those TO's in the red zone didn't help vs little carolina

No. The dome will be filled with red and Smart is going to pound the ball down our throats. They will own the TOP and those fans will scream through every second of it. Chubb or not, I don't think we can stop them any more than we stopped Baylor.

It's gonna suck for me personally...75% of my family are Ga. fans. The rest pull for GT.

Having said that I hope we go out and kick their butts.

I just wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: shun1
No. The dome will be filled with red and Smart is going to pound the ball down our throats. They will own the TOP and those fans will scream through every second of it. Chubb or not, I don't think we can stop them any more than we stopped Baylor.

It's gonna suck for me personally...75% of my family are Ga. fans. The rest pull for GT.

Having said that I hope we go out and kick their butts.

I just wouldn't bet on it.
You have family in Vidalia that pulls for Tech....? They must be the only ones in town, no wait, the county, no wait, an hour radius that do so. Not many Tech fans left, period, much less in South Georgia.

You have family in Vidalia that pulls for Tech....? They must be the only ones in town, no wait, the county, no wait, an hour radius that do so. Not many Tech fans left, period, much less in South Georgia.

My brother is a grad.

My brother is a grad.
In all seriousness, I've always had a soft spot for Tech, despite the fact they have alot of Carolina haters in their fanbase.

Their football history is really cool and Bobby Dodds Stadium is an awesome place to watch a game.

I can't pull for them to win a single game, though, until Paul Johnson leaves

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT