ADVERTISEMENT

Will we beat UGA?

Will Carolina beat UGA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
does anyone know if uga's new coordinator is adapting to uga's offence or is he changing everything?
He's not changing everything. It will be similar to what they always run. Smart tossed out the cliche that you want to be multiple (under center and in shotgun), but from what I understand it will be the same as usual.

I read that Smart still isn't set on a QB yet, publicly at least. And publicly he didn't discount playing multiple QB's in the first gm.

I read that Smart still isn't set on a QB yet, publicly at least. And publicly he didn't discount playing multiple QB's in the first gm.
The talk/belief down here in Atlanta with regards to the UGA QB situation:

1. Jacob Eason is the guy and Kirby is just playing coy because he wants JE to bust his butt during the summer and fall to "earn" it. I.E. don't outright say he's the starter because then he might believe his own hype and not work as hard.
2. There is a chance that Grayson Allen starts the game against Carolina, but even if he does, Eason will feature heavily in the game and may take full control of the reigns as early as midway through the second quarter if he's playing well.

I don't believe Allen can hurt us in this game unless UGa consults him about tripping technique. :cool:

How are UGA's special teams? We lose some good guys - Romar, Damien Washington, Shakeel, Schoettmer were all good, Kedrick Davis, Malik Simmons, K Singleton, Sam Smiley were all probably help making plays.

Guys like Anthony Ratliff-Willams and Carl Tucker, Myles and Myles should be new faceslooking for some run. We need some burners to step for Romar and Damien - good opportunity for frosh defensive backs, WRs and Jordan Brown to burn that shirt.

^ or if he brings K's abc refs.
i expect georgia to get the close calls and a few atrocious calls against carolina especially late in the game if it's close. a) refs responding to huge home crowd, and b) ncaa wants their SEC teams to remain highly ranked for big ratings matchups later on.

Defense gave up 128 points in last 3 games and UGa presents the same danger.

And how many points did we score? Our offense will be as good or more likely better. Chizik is adding more than just basics schemes and our Dline will be better. We'll beat Georgia.

First, I love the fact we are playing Georgia. Great matchup. However, I wish it wasn't the FIRST game. I just think with UNC's offense, they need one game against a weak opponent to get things going. So my answer is NO. We are not at the SEC level yet. We are getting better and with the recruits we are getting, we will be getting even better. Plus, our defense isn't to the level it needs to be at yet.

'SEC level' ... STOP please ... your not playing the SEC's best 22 ... you are playing a talented UGA team that has plenty of holes to fill with a lot of questions marks in other areas. To boot, UGA has a new coaching staff that will have to work out some kinks before they get into that game ... Im not saying it will cost them the game ... but a badly called TO or bad instructions during 2 min or slow personnel changes ... possibly yes. UNC will definitely be in this game with its offense alone ... throw in a D that understand what its coaches want and UNC will have every opportunity to win this game. Make sure your fans show up ..... Im going with UNC by 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: lerario
'SEC level' ... STOP please ... your not playing the SEC's best 22 ... you are playing a talented UGA team that has plenty of holes to fill with a lot of questions marks in other areas. To boot, UGA has a new coaching staff that will have to work out the kinks before they get into that game ... Im not saying it will cost them the game ... but a badly called TO or bad instructions during 2 min or slow personnel changes ... possibly yes. UNC will definitely be in this game with its offense alone ... throw in a D that understand what its coaches want and UNC will have every opportunity to win this game. Make sure your fans show up ..... Im going with UNC by 10.

Thanks to nolegeorge for a common sense and realistic perspective. The SKY is definitely NOT falling. We may not win this game, but we DEFINITELY have a solid chance to do so.

Were it not for an absolutely BOGUS offsides call on a perfectly executed onside kick by the surging heels late in last yrs ACCCG, we may very well have upset the then #1 Clemson tigers, who IIRC wound up losing in the national championship game to Bama by 5. Also consider that last yr's UGA team wound up beating the GA Tech yellow jackets in their regular season finale by the score of 13-7. Move the calendar forward to September - we return significant experience at virtually every position, including a boatload of starters, and have no significant fall off from last year at any position. Add to that much better depth, particularly on the D-line, and no significant coaching changes (i.e. no new systems to learn) whereas UGa has a totally new coaching staff. Should be noted that last yr's UGA team was 10-3 on the season, and their 4 impressive OOC wins came against ULM, Southern U., GA Southern (in OT) and Ga Tech. They also won a bowl game (by 7) against PSU.

I think it's gonna be a helluva game, and I suspect the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins. And with an established, cohesive team of coaches working well together, I expect we will have an edge in the "mistakes" department.

My pick - Heels by 3.

Reactions: Archer2
We arent gonna win. Do yourselves a favor and don't get your hopes up.

Yes, I'll be there.
I'm pretty optimistic about this game, despite the fact that we tend to shoot ourselves in the foot against SEC teams. I think TO's will be especially critical in this game because I think the teams are evenly matched.

Just curious what you think our odds are.

I'm pretty optimistic about this game, despite the fact that we tend to shoot ourselves in the foot against SEC teams. I think TO's will be especially critical in this game because I think the teams are evenly matched.

Just curious what you think our odds are.
I have no idea what the odds are, and if you showed me this matchup on paper and covered up the other team's name, I'd say we have a good shot to win.

But we aren't going to win. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Until this program shows it can beat a "name" program, we will continue to lose these games. The ultimate proof is last year's SCar game. For any folks still trying to ignore that this program has a severe mental obstacle on beating "name" schools, last year's game should've convinced you. We had to do everything in our power to lose that game, and we did. QB went full deer in the headlights, WRs treated the ball like it had grease on it, playcalling was delegated to a 12-year-old playing Madden. The only thing we could do right was play defense and a lot of that had to do with SCar's dreadful offense. South Carolina didn't beat us in that game. Three people beat us -- Seth Littrell, Marquise Williams, and Pharoh Cooper. That's it.

So until Carolina Football proves they can beat a name opponent, I'll go into all such games thinking we'll lose (but still cheering like hell during)

I have no idea what the odds are, and if you showed me this matchup on paper and covered up the other team's name, I'd say we have a good shot to win.

But we aren't going to win. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Until this program shows it can beat a "name" program, we will continue to lose these games. The ultimate proof is last year's SCar game. For any folks still trying to ignore that this program has a severe mental obstacle on beating "name" schools, last year's game should've convinced you. We had to do everything in our power to lose that game, and we did. QB went full deer in the headlights, WRs treated the ball like it had grease on it, playcalling was delegated to a 12-year-old playing Madden. The only thing we could do right was play defense and a lot of that had to do with SCar's dreadful offense. South Carolina didn't beat us in that game. Three people beat us -- Seth Littrell, Marquise Williams, and Pharoh Cooper. That's it.

So until Carolina Football proves they can beat a name opponent, I'll go into all such games thinking we'll lose (but still cheering like hell during)

I understand the skepticism but I think we'll win reasonably easy. I may be wrong but I don't think Trubisky will be deer in headlights and will have a great game.He may be a bit over confident and try to make some throws not necessary but if he can not make mistakes we'll score on them no problem. I think our playcalling on both sides will be more aggressive. Chizik has added a more to the D scheme than just the basics he ran last year plus I think Naz, Dalton, Clarke, Crawford etc. will be much stiffer against the run this year and if we can force the QB to make some tough throws I like our DB's to make some plays.

I understand the skepticism but I think we'll win reasonably easy. I may be wrong but I don't think Trubisky will be deer in headlights and will have a great game.He may be a bit over confident and try to make some throws not necessary but if he can not make mistakes we'll score on them no problem. I think our playcalling on both sides will be more aggressive. Chizik has added a more to the D scheme than just the basics he ran last year plus I think Naz, Dalton, Clarke, Crawford etc. will be much stiffer against the run this year and if we can force the QB to make some tough throws I like our DB's to make some plays.
UGA's QB(s) won't have to throw it more than 5 times. Chubb will run all over us.

Reactions: johnwalden
its%2Ba%2Btrap.png

Reactions: tarheel0910
TarHeelNation11 said "I have no idea what the odds are, and if you showed me this matchup on paper and covered up the other team's name, I'd say we have a good shot to win."

okay, well now that this out there, we can all just tacitly nod our heads regarding your mental-self-defense-based belief system. Meanwhile we do like your 'on paper, anonymous' input :)

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Yikes, where do I start? The most offensive weapons you can ever remember being at UGA at one time? I don't even have to think back 10 years to come up with one. The 2008 Stafford - Moreno - Green - Massaquoi team doesn't do it for you? Three of those four have started a large number of games in the NFL with two being bona fide superstars.

Also, Chaney was......pretty bad at Pitt. UGA is going to win this game in Atlanta, but if you think the 2016 Dawgs are going to be world beaters, you're setting yourself up for a big letdown.

Moreno was a good back, but no where near the back Chubb was pre injury, now I don't know about after but things are looking good. I said no AJ on the team, but 3-4 receivers in Massaquoi's class, all young guys but same size, more speed and as good hands, no AJ, but 4-5 Massaquois. Eason may not start the first game, but taller, same quick release, huge arm and great touch on deeper routes, will he be a number 1 pick, no idea, but he is a huge talent and looked great in our spring game. TE is excellent and deep, like I said, 4 in the 6'5" 250lb range, all with good hands, the other is 6'4" 230 very fast for a TE. Not the best individual talents there, but as an overall group the best 12-14 offensive players we ever had at one time, of course all don't play at one time, but we are deep, no one is going to put up huge numbers but several will have 40+ catches and 2 could rush for 1000 yards this year.

does anyone know if uga's new coordinator is adapting to uga's offence or is he changing everything?

100% overhauling of the offense, going to look nothing like last year's offense, multiple sets with 1-3 TE's, 0-4 WR's, 1 back, 2 back sets, lots of motion, more stretching the field vertically, we completed 7 passes in excess of 35 yards in spring game, we didn't throw that many in 15. Maybe he was trying to put on a show for the fans who showed up, but nothing like our 15 offense.

Do you know we had the number 1 pass defense in the country last year, and return every DB? We lost a couple LB who were drafted, a couple DL who weren't, but return 7 starters on D

But we aren't going to win. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Until this program shows it can beat a "name" program, we will continue to lose these games.

So who's to say this isn't the year?

You may think you know we won't win. But to say "you know it, I know it, everyone knows it" is simply incorrect. In fact, The game poll tends to indicate just the opposite.

I understand your reservations about our chances but I would expect a bit more optimism from a big UNC football fan. If I had to bet my house, I'd bet on UG. But I certainly don't feel the outcome is a given, as you appear to feel.[/QUOTE]

So who's to say this isn't the year?

You may think you know we won't win. But to say "you know it, I know it, everyone knows it" is simply incorrect. In fact, The game poll tends to indicate just the opposite.

I understand your reservations about our chances but I would expect a bit more optimism from a big UNC football fan. If I had to bet my house, I'd bet on UG. But I certainly don't feel the outcome is a given, as you appear to feel.
[/QUOTE]
Oh I'm sure that around noon on game day, I'll be convincing myself we will win because that's what the fan in me ultimately does.

But I'm trying like hell not to get my hopes up. All of the info and past results I have to base my thoughts on show that we'll lose :/

wow, UGA's pass D was really good. Very few passing yards total given up, and very few yards per attempt. Their total rushing yards given up was pretty good, so in total yardage they're ranked highly. They had very few sacks and not many tackles for loss though... not sure what to make of all that.

Thanks to nolegeorge for a common sense and realistic perspective. The SKY is definitely NOT falling. We may not win this game, but we DEFINITELY have a solid chance to do so.

Were it not for an absolutely BOGUS offsides call on a perfectly executed onside kick by the surging heels late in last yrs ACCCG, we may very well have upset the then #1 Clemson tigers, who IIRC wound up losing in the national championship game to Bama by 5. Also consider that last yr's UGA team wound up beating the GA Tech yellow jackets in their regular season finale by the score of 13-7. Move the calendar forward to September - we return significant experience at virtually every position, including a boatload of starters, and have no significant fall off from last year at any position. Add to that much better depth, particularly on the D-line, and no significant coaching changes (i.e. no new systems to learn) whereas UGa has a totally new coaching staff. Should be noted that last yr's UGA team was 10-3 on the season, and their 4 impressive OOC wins came against ULM, Southern U., GA Southern (in OT) and Ga Tech. They also won a bowl game (by 7) against PSU.

I think it's gonna be a helluva game, and I suspect the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins. And with an established, cohesive team of coaches working well together, I expect we will have an edge in the "mistakes" department.

My pick - Heels by 3.

All of that is why we have a new coaching staff this year. Richt is as moral and ethical as anyone in college athletics, but he made some bad hires as coordinators during his time in Athens. The last one, Schottenheimer, got him fired. He was the one who went after Lambert and brought him in to start him. He made almost zero attempt to stretch the field and our passing game consisted of WR screens and quick slants. Defenses played everyone within 7 yards of the LOS and dared us to throw deep, we didn't. Scored 11 offensive TDs in the last 9 games and Richt stepped down. We may not complete them, but we will at least show we will attempt them. Our offense will look nothing like it looked last year, if Chubb is ready, sure he will be showcased, but defenses won't be able to put 8-9 in the box and play man outside every snap like we face last year. Only had to cover them 8 yards if it were a pass. Yes, Schotty was awful, had no clue about the college game. TE will be used alot more too, no clue if or how much Eason plays first game, may start, may not see the field, he has a great arm and great touch on deep routes, still working on that touch part on shorter routes and he won't be playing hs level talent that will close much quicker than what he has played against so he will make some mistakes when he does play.

For the poster who asked about special teams, new kicker hit a 58 yarder in HS and a 52 in the spring game, but has never kicked in a college game, punter isn't great, one of our qbs, gets good hangtime and will occasionaly boom one, but normally 37-42 yard range. Punt returner is great, returned 4 for TDs last season after returning a couple as a frosh. Not sure who the KO return guy will be, Reggie Davis has very good speed and has returned 1 for a TD, our PR has returned 1 for a TD, could be one of the incoming guys wanting to get on the field, a couple of them are burners, but we haven't really had a guy who did it everytime. Unfortunately, no one in Gurley's class returning them who returned about half he took for TD's

Will we win, not sure but can we win...ABSOLUTELY! If we get two or more turnovers or force four or more punts i think its a lock that we win. If we struggle to convert 3rd down and we dont limit Chubb then we are a lock to lose!

All of that is why we have a new coaching staff this year. Richt is as moral and ethical as anyone in college athletics, but he made some bad hires as coordinators during his time in Athens. The last one, Schottenheimer, got him fired. He was the one who went after Lambert and brought him in to start him. He made almost zero attempt to stretch the field and our passing game consisted of WR screens and quick slants. Defenses played everyone within 7 yards of the LOS and dared us to throw deep, we didn't. Scored 11 offensive TDs in the last 9 games and Richt stepped down. We may not complete them, but we will at least show we will attempt them. Our offense will look nothing like it looked last year, if Chubb is ready, sure he will be showcased, but defenses won't be able to put 8-9 in the box and play man outside every snap like we face last year. Only had to cover them 8 yards if it were a pass. Yes, Schotty was awful, had no clue about the college game. TE will be used alot more too, no clue if or how much Eason plays first game, may start, may not see the field, he has a great arm and great touch on deep routes, still working on that touch part on shorter routes and he won't be playing hs level talent that will close much quicker than what he has played against so he will make some mistakes when he does play.

For the poster who asked about special teams, new kicker hit a 58 yarder in HS and a 52 in the spring game, but has never kicked in a college game, punter isn't great, one of our qbs, gets good hangtime and will occasionaly boom one, but normally 37-42 yard range. Punt returner is great, returned 4 for TDs last season after returning a couple as a frosh. Not sure who the KO return guy will be, Reggie Davis has very good speed and has returned 1 for a TD, our PR has returned 1 for a TD, could be one of the incoming guys wanting to get on the field, a couple of them are burners, but we haven't really had a guy who did it everytime. Unfortunately, no one in Gurley's class returning them who returned about half he took for TD's

I think he was let go because UGA had a hangover loss to a average UT team and then lost to UF once again. People just got tired of the same results especially in a state that puts out that much blue chip talent. Why would he continue to stretch the field when the strength of his offense is his RB corps?? Intermediate passes ... sure, but I don't think it was a necessity to stretch the field constantly. There weren't too many Dawg fans complaining when UGA was lighting teams up early in the season and towards the end they just weren't the same O without Chubb.

I think your post verifies what I said about UGA. They are breaking in a new coaching staff with a true freshman QB so the possibility of mistakes will be high. There are holes to fill in the secondary and the OL is small. Having said that there's an awful lot of talent UGA's team but the same can be said about what is returning for UNC. The only segment of either team that will look the same will be the UNC offense so predicting what the other segments will look like is hard because they changed from their 15' versions.

wow, UGA's pass D was really good. Very few passing yards total given up, and very few yards per attempt. Their total rushing yards given up was pretty good, so in total yardage they're ranked highly. They had very few sacks and not many tackles for loss though... not sure what to make of all that.
Gators O - sucked.
SoCar O - sucked
Mizzou O - sucked
Vandy - sucked
Tenn - up and down mediocre QB
UK O - QB controversy, up and down
Auburn O - down
GT O - flat and non-threatening

nolegeorge says there are holes to fill in the secondary, but grumpy says every db is back from the team that was top-ten against the pass. which is it?

I think he was let go because UGA had a hangover loss to a average UT team and then lost to UF once again. People just got tired of the same results especially in a state that puts out that much blue chip talent. Why would he continue to stretch the field when the strength of his offense is his RB corps?? Intermediate passes ... sure, but I don't think it was a necessity to stretch the field constantly. There weren't too many Dawg fans complaining when UGA was lighting teams up early in the season and towards the end they just weren't the same O without Chubb.

I think your post verifies what I said about UGA. They are breaking in a new coaching staff with a true freshman QB so the possibility of mistakes will be high. There are holes to fill in the secondary and the OL is small. Having said that there's an awful lot of talent UGA's team but the same can be said about what is returning for UNC. The only segment of either team that will look the same will be the UNC offense so predicting what the other segments will look like is hard because they changed from their 15' versions.

Nope, we lost Chubb first play against UT, changed our entire offensive gameplan, once again Schotty had no adjustments. Against UF, we had 2 weeks to prepare, this is what we did. Started the 3rd team qb, who was a dual threat guy and passes better on the move, but we didn't change our offense or playcalling one bit. No read options, we dropped a qb not known for his passing skills back, kept him in the pocket just like we would have with Lambert who isn't very mobile. Richt was gone before the team arrived back in Athens, he just didn't know it yet. 4 big boosters told the AD Richt wasn't coming back, Kirby had agreed to take the job and if he screwed it up knippicking over a few dollars he was next one to be gone. Richt went 4-0 after the UF game, and was fired the Sunday after the GT game.

Richt went to UF with a gameplan that gave us zero chance to win, it was almost daring someone to fire him. Then there was alway our 2-3 games a year we looked like we hadn't practiced in a couple months. I respect and admire Richt as a man of high morals and ethics, don't think there is anyone better in college athletics, but he had become too comfortable and complacent at UGA, it was time for a change. Now the question is will it work out for us.

Reactions: GR8K9
The outcome is this game will be determined by the ability of UNC to stop the run and the ability of UGA to stop UNC scoring more than 30 points plus turnovers and special teams.

First game of the year, so intangibles are at a high.

Offense: Edge UNC, (UNC QB and running bakcs better than UGA and better offenseive scheme)
Defense: Edge UGA (UGA has more speed and talent on D, period)
Special Teams: Toss up.
Turnovers: that's why they play the game...

Last edited:
Reactions: nolegeorge
nolegeorge says there are holes to fill in the secondary, but grumpy says every db is back from the team that was top-ten against the pass. which is it?

Blazers ... they get a lot back in the secondary but they play in the SEC East. Follow this link to see last years stats http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/stats/sec/2015/total-defense/?sort=d_pass_yards. You will notice that all of the SEC E schools are listed at the top of the pass defensive charts. There is a reason for that ... they played one QB who had a pulse ... J. Coker and he did pretty good against them. Just in going back and looking at UGA though, they lost several players on the DL and that might give opposing QB's more time to throw. Just my two pence.

Caveat: Blazers I reread my post and I may have worded that wrong ... they have all their guys back so their aren't holes to fill ... I just meant that their stats are deceiving.

Last edited:
Now the question is will it work out for us.

Thats the million dollar question ... I think he will turn out to be a very good hire ... can he get them firing and win the SEC E in his first year? He definitely has talent to work with and will probably recruit very well though. I just would like to see you all beat UF on a yearly basis. lol

The outcome is this game will be determined by the ability of UNC to stop the run and the ability of UGA to stop UNC scoring more than 30 points plus turnovers and special teams.

First game of the year, so intangibles are at a high.

Offense: Edge UNC, (UNC QB and running bakcs better than UGA and better offenseive scheme)
Defense: Edge UGA (UGA has more speed and talent on D, period)
Special Teams: Toss up.
Turnovers: that's why they pay the game...

I know UNC has some good RBs, but that is a position they do not have an edge. Chubb didn't tear an ACL, it was the PCL, recover time is much less and he is close to being back now, running and cutting at full speed. Not a team in the country who has a better pair of RBs than UGA with Chubb and Michel. UNC certainly has an edge at qb over Lambert and Eason because of experience or lack of. I really don't know where you see an edge over scheme when you have zero idea what we are going to be doing. Can you tell me what scheme we are going to run on offense, no one outside of the athletic department knows. Chaney has proven to be varied in his schemes, running a different scheme at UT he ran a passing offense, at Arkansas he ran a run based offense and at Pitt he ran a balanced attack. That's speculation on your part. One thing I am sure of, he will have a collection of offensive talent to work we like he has never had before.

With UGA have a new kicker who hasn't kicked in a game, and an average punter I don't see how its a toss up, our returners could be better but UNC's punter/kicker would have to have the edge.

Our back 4 returns tons of experience, everyone who took a snap returns, one starter has been overtaken. OLB are elite athletes, great at rushing the passer, and in space, but depending one who is in, can be liability against the run, ILB, one starter has been overtaken the other graduated, the 2 new ones both have starting experience. DL is very young, at least 3 frosh will be in the 2 deep rotation and a concern. But defense will be very fast, but will likely not be good against the run and our qb completed passes all over the field in the spring game, nearly 600 yards worth. Won't surprise me to see alot of points scored, I don't think 30 will win it. I believe you are underestimating our offense talent because of how bad our OC was last year and overestimating our defense, which has potential to be very good, but very young up front.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT