ADVERTISEMENT

Withers a unsung hero as Carolina crushes NC State

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Maybe nobody noticed his extended minutes played last night and his defense on Burns when both Washington and Bacot were on the bench in serious foul trouble in the second half but I sure did.

I can only remember Burns scoring on him once on a nice baseline shake and bake move but other than that Withers was solid and he twice got fouled rebounding off the offensive board.

I mentioned in the game thread that the possibility of him playing some center was actually that a possibility.

Nobody that I can remember this year has given him any praise for his work off the bench but you have to be totally blind not to see what he can contribute to the team when given extended minutes like he did last night.

That just goes to show you don’t have to score a bunch of points or a bushel full of rebounds to help the team. Maybe it was just one game but it may be the first of many for Withers…

Withers is frustrating but hopefully can build on the good things he’s done in spots recently. He has some skill set the team will surely need to make any kind of postseason run. If he could play a sort of Hicks role even half as well it could make a big difference.

4 games in a row he has given us solid positive minutes, kid is coming along nicely. His work on Burns the dancing bear was strong. I love that we went at Burns with 3 very different primary defenders and all 3 gave him different looks. Bacot defended him with strength, letting him catch and defend the back down making him work. Jalen came in and worked to deny the pass and did so effectively. Withers hit him with more pass denial and good strength hedging him in to help. Really solid half time adjustments by Hubert and his staff!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Withers is swiftly growing into the person many of us thought should start at 4! He is an important piece of this team and he will only get better now that he is finding his niche! Fighting that monster so well has to do wonders for his confidence! BTW: That spin move he put on Withers was a thing of beauty so hats off! BUT the rest of the time, our Bigs made him work for everything (including the timely doubles) and he was gassed half way through the 2nd half!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT