ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread (w/ occasional Red Sox talk for Hark)

Other than the political soap box, what about this team didn't you like?

Personally, even though I'm a huge Yankees fan so I'm biased here, I think the Yankees had the better team even though they didn't win the division. The Red Sox were just more consistent throughout the year. They only had two really solid pitchers in Sale and Pomeranz, and the lineup lacked a true power threat. I think Mookie Betts had the highest home run total at 24. He hit 31 the year before and also had a .318 average as opposed to .264 this year.

Bottom line, the Astros were lethal to begin with. They just took advantage of home field and used their strengths wisely.
I think this season both the Red Sox and the Yankees squandered an embarrassment of riches of talent. Yankees aren't getting passed the Indians.

Other than the political soap box, what about this team didn't you like?

The ownership is impossible to like. I can't blame them for being focused on the bottom line, but they bring in people like Pablo Sandoval who they hope they can market the crap out of the "Panda" thing and his ability to play the game is an afterthought. That, coupled with things like the "Yawkey Way" incident, just shows that winning games is the last thing on the mind of these asshats.

Dombrowski (GM) sucks. He's completely mortgaged the future to "win now"... and then ended up not winning now. I like the Sale trade, but the rest of his deals are bad.

The manager is a complete bone head. Doesn't know how to do his job, and on top of it tries to sweet talk his way with the fans like we're a bunch of morons. More focused on hooking up with the field reporters than managing the team.

David Price - complete asshole. Raking in $31 million a year for the next 6 years, and he can't even make starts. His ego is so fragile that he "jumps" the TV color guy for doing his job and calling it like he sees it.

Pedroia - the guy who's been my favorite MLB player for the last decade - turned out to be a whiny bitch. Pointing fingers at everyone other than himself throughout the year. And was a ringleader in the Price vs. Eckersley blowup mentioned above.

Porcello - at least this one is skill based, instead of attitude/personality based. But still, how the hell does the reigning Cy Young winner have such a terrible follow up season?

And then my last point is the time of the games. I know it was up around the league, but I believe the Red Sox led the league in time of games. Just a whole lot of dilly-dallying throughout the whole year, routinely going 3.5 hours plus for a game. Aint nobody got time for that crap.

File that in the Farrell folder.

Everyone in the league steals signs, and this bozo gets caught doing it.
They don't use their apple watch to do it though. But don't worry. I expect that several teams will start using technology to steal signs since the red sox weren't punished.

They don't use their apple watch to do it though. But don't worry. I expect that several teams will start using technology to steal signs since the red sox weren't punished.

I bet they were the first with the Apple watch. But others use technology. Probably better technology than a watch which requires the trainer to be constantly looking at his watch and talking to players.

The ownership is impossible to like. I can't blame them for being focused on the bottom line, but they bring in people like Pablo Sandoval who they hope they can market the crap out of the "Panda" thing and his ability to play the game is an afterthought. That, coupled with things like the "Yawkey Way" incident, just shows that winning games is the last thing on the mind of these asshats.

Dombrowski (GM) sucks. He's completely mortgaged the future to "win now"... and then ended up not winning now. I like the Sale trade, but the rest of his deals are bad.

The manager is a complete bone head. Doesn't know how to do his job, and on top of it tries to sweet talk his way with the fans like we're a bunch of morons. More focused on hooking up with the field reporters than managing the team.

David Price - complete asshole. Raking in $31 million a year for the next 6 years, and he can't even make starts. His ego is so fragile that he "jumps" the TV color guy for doing his job and calling it like he sees it.

Pedroia - the guy who's been my favorite MLB player for the last decade - turned out to be a whiny bitch. Pointing fingers at everyone other than himself throughout the year. And was a ringleader in the Price vs. Eckersley blowup mentioned above.

Porcello - at least this one is skill based, instead of attitude/personality based. But still, how the hell does the reigning Cy Young winner have such a terrible follow up season?

And then my last point is the time of the games. I know it was up around the league, but I believe the Red Sox led the league in time of games. Just a whole lot of dilly-dallying throughout the whole year, routinely going 3.5 hours plus for a game. Aint nobody got time for that crap.

Farrell did win you a World Series. Can't be that bad right?

Pedroia was also someone I gave respect to, his hustle and heart reminds me of Brett Gardner. Didn't know he got caught up in all that.

Fully agree on Price. Dude really messed up the chemistry this year with that stunt he pulled. Plus he can't stay healthy for shit. And also pretty much useless when it comes to October. Porcello playing as bad as he has this year puzzled me as well.

As for your team, I don't think know why you think you're not built to win for the future. Most of your best players- Betts, Bradley Jr, Benintendi, Bogaerts, Devers, etc. are all below 27. It's not a bad core to have.

crap.
The Price fight with Eckersley thing was disgusting and an absolute disgrace. Price is lucky Eckersley didn't clock him right in the face on that airplane.

Price's actions -- and his teammates' actions since they supported him -- show zero awareness or fukks given about Red Sox team history. If I was a Sox fan, I would've been disgusted.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I think this season both the Red Sox and the Yankees squandered an embarrassment of riches of talent. Yankees aren't getting passed the Indians.

Get real. Expectations from all "experts" around baseball were that the Yankees were 2-3 years away from seriously competing. Embarrassment of riches? You mean the kick ass farm system we have?

34f3c8fcf559d76ff126d1c7b6da7e81--ross-friends-friends-.jpg.cf.jpg

Reactions: carolinablue34
What do you guys actually think will happen tomorrow with the Yankees and Indians? It's been one hell of a series. I'm still a bit pissed because we should have beaten the Indians already. But the baby bombers haven't quit and they won't tomorrow either.

I can see either team pulling it off. I just hope it's New York.

My gut says Cleveland wins. But we have basically our entire bullpen if needed. Severino did us a HUGE favor last night.

My gut says the same. The Indians were the best team this for a reason. BUT, they are also like 3-16 in series deciding games in the past two decades. So let's see if that bit of history is on our side.

My gut also told me Severino would come up big for us. It's CC's turn now. Let's see if he has one more big game in him for us. If we can get a lead, our bullpen is good enough to hold them off. But if they get a lead it'll be the same.

Indians set their rotation up a week ago to have Kluber ready for a game 5, now we will see if it works out... Personally I think it all boils down to what Cleveland’s top of the order does tomorrow night, Linder, Kipnis and Ramirez pretty much been invisible during the first 4 games

Damn I might have to actually watch baseball again if they keep this up. I was a knee high and remembered watching Bucky 'freakin Dent and Reggie Jackson lead the Yanks to back to back titles in 77, 78.

If you're a fan you need to follow this team closely the next several years. It's only getting better.

Yeah, I need to get back to it. I really, really soured on baseball during all the steroid BS of 10-15 years ago and haven't watched much other than the occasional playoff game since.

You definitely need to start watching again. There are several young superstars in the game right now, and it seems like more and more break out every year.

I just happened to switch to the game last night in time to see Judge hit the 3 run homer. So y'all can thank me for that. ;)

Judge is a beast. He's struggled against better pitching in the post-season, but he still has a bright future as long as he's willing to be patient at the plate.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Definitely a surprise after making it to game 5 of the ALCS.

Didn’t really realize he was there 10 years. Wow. Been that long since Torre stepped down. I can’t even begin to guess who we’re gonna go after. Joe took a lot of flack but what manager in New York wouldn’t ? Have A LOT of talent up and coming.

Didn’t really realize he was there 10 years. Wow. Been that long since Torre stepped down. I can’t even begin to guess who we’re gonna go after. Joe took a lot of flack but what manager in New York wouldn’t ? Have A LOT of talent up and coming.

I guess Tony Pena will be considered as an internal candidate. Not sure who they would get from outside the organization since Cora and Gardenhire already have other jobs.

Reactions: toophly1124
I was watching some of the game last night and was thinking here's two teams that really know what they're doing, and here's my team that has a FO in complete shambles and Brian Snitker as its manager. Man...

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I was watching some of the game last night and was thinking here's two teams that really know what they're doing, and here's my team that has a FO in complete shambles and Brian Snitker as its manager. Man...

The Braves are on the right track. Their farm system is loaded with talent.

Welp, now that the World Series is over, time to wait for the bomb to be dropped on us. I swear, I'm so sick and tired of dark clouds over my teams/programs.

Reactions: MWHeels
Welp, now that the World Series is over, time to wait for the bomb to be dropped on us. I swear, I'm so sick and tired of dark clouds over my teams/programs.

I read a few days ago that the investigation found that Hart wasn't involved, but now there's rumors that he won't be back next year so who knows. I'm hoping the penalties will result in fines and lost future draft picks without having to lose any of the current players from the farm system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT