ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread (w/ occasional Red Sox talk for Hark)

Bush league.

Stealing signs is a pastime as old as baseball itself. Not a good look to get caught but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that every team in the league is doing it in their own way. It may not be with an Apple watch but every team is stealing signs. To me, it's not cheating. It's gamemanship. It's the same as too much tar on the bat, too much curve in a hockey stick or too little air in a football. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sorry...just making y'all aware of our newest fan. Go Astros!
090517_housea_kate_upton.gif

Damn, she is so hot. But yellow isn't her color.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
If you're on second base and you notice a sign and tip off your batter that's one thing. The catcher should switch off signals hide it better whatever. But Apple watches.. video cameras ..microphones etc is beyond ridiculous and has no place in the game of baseball.

Sorry...just making y'all aware of our newest fan. Go Astros!
090517_housea_kate_upton.gif
Justin Verlander is my hero.

Stealing signs is a pastime as old as baseball itself. Not a good look to get caught but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that every team in the league is doing it in their own way. It may not be with an Apple watch but every team is stealing signs. To me, it's not cheating. It's gamemanship. It's the same as too much tar on the bat, too much curve in a hockey stick or too little air in a football. Nothing to see here. Move along.
I understand that it happens, but it's still bush league. If they're caught they just need to not get mad when a little chin music comes their way. I wasn't lucky enough to play past high school, but I can promise you that type of retaliation started in little league. Only cheap players steal signs.

I understand that it happens, but it's still bush league. If they're caught they just need to not get mad when a little chin music comes their way. I wasn't lucky enough to play past high school, but I can promise you that type of retaliation started in little league. Only cheap players steal signs.

I have no problem with letting the players police their own game. That too is part of baseball.

But Apple watches.. video cameras ..microphones etc is beyond ridiculous and has no place in the game of baseball.

Yes the Sox had watches and the Yankees had video cameras, but the "microphone" ended up being Fister's mouthguard. Makes the game a little interesting and honestly could have been a ploy to get more interest in the rivalry, but agreed it doesn't have a place in the game.

If they're caught they just need to not get mad when a little chin music comes their way.

Definitely. If you get caught, you get thrown at, that's fine. As long as Gary Sanchez doesn't start sucker punching guys in piles again, then they can handle it like men and it'll be done with.

I'm expecting more of the same. About 5 innings, 6 walks and a few runs.
Our young pitchers are terrible about being economical with their pitch counts. None of them can make it through 5 innings with less than ~85-90 pitches thrown. To make it worse, Snit/Hernandez pull them too early, even when they are being economical.

I can't stand the babying of young pitching prospects. Their arms are either going to give out or they're not. Let 'em ride.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Was that his first win at home this year? I don't recall him ever winning.
Per ESPN's game log for Teheran, this is his third W at home this season. He started in one other home win as well, but got a no-decision.

Also... SunTrust still is proving to not be the HR launch pad folks overreacted about after the first couple home series (I'm passionate about this because I hate when wrong opinions become the accepted norm view)

Per ESPN's (very cool) home run tracker, SunTrust Park allows the 6th fewest (i.e. #10 out of 15) home runs per game in the National League, with 2.29 homers hit per game.

Also... SunTrust still is proving to not be the HR launch pad folks overreacted about after the first couple home series (I'm passionate about this because I hate when wrong opinions become the accepted norm view)

Per ESPN's (very cool) home run tracker, SunTrust Park allows the 6th fewest (i.e. #10 out of 15) home runs per game in the National League, with 2.29 homers hit per game.
I've noticed that too. I wonder if that has more to do with the team that plays in it or the park itself though. The Braves aren't really considered to be a power-hitting team anyway and our two best power hitters (Freeman and Kemp) have been sapped of their power due to injury. Our other best (Adams) is a bench player now. I don't know how many homers the visiting team has hit compared to other parks, but that would be interesting to know. Even if it's a lot, that probably has more to do with how crappy our pitching is than anything. It's kind of hard year to judge.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarHeelNation11
By the way, thoughts on Albies? Still think we're trading him? I thought we were, but I hope Coppy thinks long and hard about that before pulling the trigger. Lots of times, I tune in just to watch him play. I think he's a keeper, but at the same time, I don't know how we're going to get what Coppy wants to get without trading Acuna or Albies and with so many of our young pitchers ("currency") struggling in the majors. Albies is a stud, IMO. Going to be an interesting offseason, to say the least.

By the way, thoughts on Albies? Still think we're trading him? I thought we were, but I hope Coppy thinks long and hard about that before pulling the trigger. Lots of times, I tune in just to watch him play. I think he's a keeper, but at the same time, I don't know how we're going to get what Coppy wants to get without trading Acuna or Albies and with so many of our young pitchers ("currency") struggling in the majors. Albies is a stud, IMO. Going to be an interesting offseason, to say the least.
I think you nailed it. He's probably a keeper but he's one of our few valuable pieces we can use in a trade. I haven't been able to watch him enough to form an opinion. He did make a SWEET play last night though to team up with Camargo to pick off a runner in between 2nd and 3rd in the 8th which saved Ramirez's bacon.

Watch this snag:
https://www.mlb.com/braves/video/braves-get-a-key-out-in-the-8th/c-1816449083?tid=8878972

Also....very quietly, Dansby has turned things around since coming back from Gwinnett. His average has climbed like 30 points.
Yeah, I guess he just needed a nice little dose of reality. Hopefully that's the last time he goes through a stretch where he doesn't look like he belongs. Of course he'll have his share of rough patches, but he looks too much like a natural to go through something like that again.

I don't really fully grasp what this means though. Do we lose some of the International players he signed or what?

Last edited:
I love how, while he was here, the media was portraying him as a bright young man who really has a good grasp on what he's doing and how excellent of a job he's doing. Now that he's gone, I've heard nothing but how everyone hated him, he's mistreating employees, all of the other teams couldn't stand negotiating with him and all this crap. What the hell? Where was all of this? Just goes to show you really need to take everything with a grain of salt. While someone is still employed, the media will always put a positive spin on everything, true or not.

So, I'm hearing Snitker's option will be picked up. I'm sure the new GM will appreciate this decision being made for him. Seriously, what the hell? I don't understand the Braves anymore. Just in complete shambles.

So, I'm hearing Snitker's option will be picked up. I'm sure the new GM will appreciate this decision being made for him. Seriously, what the hell? I don't understand the Braves anymore. Just in complete shambles.
Apparently we are in COMPLETE shambles internally.

"This place is totally [expletive] up," one high-ranking Braves employee said last week. "I just hope when it blows up, it doesn't take all of us down."

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-coppo...-start-atlanta-braves-problems-230643724.html

Snitker coming back pretty much means John Schuerholz still has is hands on everything. Dude, you have your Hall of Fame plaque. Go enjoy retirement. All of this chaos sounds like a case of there being too many cooks in the kitchen. Just go on.

Why isn't John Hart being held accountable? All of the Coppy stuff was going on under his watch. He's the President of Baseball Operations, correct? Well, his baseball operations have gone to shit, so why does he get a free pass?

Absolutely nothing the Braves do makes any sense.

Last edited:
Love it. This team has a lot of moxie. You can see the excitement on all of their faces. They're having the time of their lives.

I sense that too. This was an important game for the young guys. Severino was really bad, but everyone else was on their game. Above all, they're getting playoff experience which will serve them well going forward, whether or not they get past the Indians.

Lol why couldn't the Red Sox have gotten the damn Indians? Of course we get the hottest team in baseball.

Love it. This team has a lot of moxie. You can see the excitement on all of their faces. They're having the time of their lives.
I sense that too. This was an important game for the young guys. Severino was really bad, but everyone else was on their game. Above all, they're getting playoff experience which will serve them well going forward, whether or not they get past the Indians.

Lol why couldn't the Red Sox have gotten the damn Indians? Of course we get the hottest team in baseball.
Peep the thread title. Start your own playoffs thread and let @coolwaterunc and me suffer in silence.

You sound like a sour Boston fan. I don't blame you tho after how they got worked by Houston.

Figured I'd move this over to this thread to avoid mucking up the basketball thread more than it already is.

But yes. Although, I'm hoping them avoiding the sweep didn't somehow save Farrell's job.

As a lifelong Sox fan - I have never rooted against them like I did in this series. What a bunch of clowns. And the ownership - more focused on changing the name of the ****ing street outside the ballpark because they want to hop on their political soap box, than putting a team that can compete on the field!

Figured I'd move this over to this thread to avoid mucking up the basketball thread more than it already is.

But yes. Although, I'm hoping them avoiding the sweep didn't somehow save Farrell's job.

As a lifelong Sox fan - I have never rooted against them like I did in this series. What a bunch of clowns. And the ownership - more focused on changing the name of the ****ing street outside the ballpark because they want to hop on their political soap box, than putting a team that can compete on the field!

Other than the political soap box, what about this team didn't you like?

Personally, even though I'm a huge Yankees fan so I'm biased here, I think the Yankees had the better team even though they didn't win the division. The Red Sox were just more consistent throughout the year. They only had two really solid pitchers in Sale and Pomeranz, and the lineup lacked a true power threat. I think Mookie Betts had the highest home run total at 24. He hit 31 the year before and also had a .318 average as opposed to .264 this year.

Bottom line, the Astros were lethal to begin with. They just took advantage of home field and used their strengths wisely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT