ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina @ GT gamethread

I think that’s a very real possibility at this point. But on the other hand there’s no way he makes it through another full season of getting abused like this so he may just have to take the money and run instead of risking it another year to try and move back up.

We’re starting to look like a Miami team. Tons of talent but still can’t win anything. At this point the coastal is almost certainly out of reach. If I’m Mack, I’m calling up potential OC candidates on the ride back to chapel hill. But I have a feeling Longo and Bateman will both be back next year.
Of course they will be back. Mack is on cruise control, enjoying his cushy job in Chapel Hill. If they win... great. If they lose... no biggie. He's got his ring and his fame no matter what happens here.

I think that’s a very real possibility at this point. But on the other hand there’s no way he makes it through another full season of getting abused like this so he may just have to take the money and run instead of risking it another year to try and move back up.

We’re starting to look like a Miami team. Tons of talent but still can’t win anything. At this point the coastal is almost certainly out of reach. If I’m Mack, I’m calling up potential OC candidates on the ride back to chapel hill. But I have a feeling Longo and Bateman will both be back next year.
Agree no way he can withstand another season with this oline

Wondering how many will transfer out during and after this season. Clemsuck needs a QB.

Wondering how many will transfer out during and after this season. Clemsuck needs a QB.
Starters won't quit unless they have a chance to go to SEC or maybe OSU / Oregon type places. And you gotta be damn good to make that jump. Kyler McMichael is one of the few really good 4th yr jrs who will be weighing NFL vs stay vs xfer.

I doubt a JaQuirius Conley or Myles Murphy type player would be ready to leave an amazing place like chapel hill just because the team isn't winning bit.

It's the new college athletic way, no need to work hard on fulfilling your previous comittments just quit and move on to greener pastures.
It will be interesting to see how NIL comes into play. Can we find enough NIL deals to make it worth Sam's time to stay (in case his draft status is borderline and he's flirting with an xfer)?

How the heck do they (coaches) not prepare for the possibility of two QBs playing? No excuse for that.
If the players are not sharp enough mentally and/or not hard-working enough to prepare for two QBs with very different styles, then the DC has to gamble on only 1 game plan.

Have you seem any sign that the D position coaches are enough on the ball, and have instilled sufficient fundamentals in their players, to handle a double game preparation?

I have not.

Both coordinators and OL coach should be looked at. You're right - it's not the talent. We've lost two very winnable games and Bateman, Longo and Searels share most of the blame.
So when a DB, or 2, is out of place at least 20 plays every game, and DBs regularly miss tackles, while often celebrating wildly over a meaningless hit that might look good if separated from context, is all that primarily the fault of Bateman or Bly?

The D is loaded with athletes, but most of them need a whole lot of 1st rate basic position coaching.

If the players are not sharp enough mentally and/or not hard-working enough to prepare for two QBs with very different styles, then the DC has to gamble on only 1 game plan.

Have you seem any sign that the D position coaches are enough on the ball, and have instilled sufficient fundamentals in their players, to handle a double game preparation?

I have not.
So we have some dumb players and coaches?

How about in game adjustments….I know that’s asking a lot.

Losing is one thing l, and I hate to lose, but losing and not being competitive is another. There’s no way GT should’ve been able to manhandle us like they did.

So when a DB, or 2, is out of place at least 20 plays every game, and DBs regularly miss tackles, while often celebrating wildly over a meaningless hit that might look good if separated from context, is all that primarily the fault of Bateman or Bly?

The D is loaded with athletes, but most of them need a whole lot of 1st rate basic position coaching.

I'm not as concerned about the DBs. We have two that have graded out well. One hasn't been on the field much. That's a depth/inexperience issue. Front seven need to get more pressure and fit their gaps. Our secondary didn't cost us the game Saturday. Only one team has thrown for over 200 against us. Sims ran for 128 and 3 touchdowns on 10 carries. That is a problem with the scheme and/or execution.

The OL...even going back to last year if you really look at the numbers they weren't that good. Graded out third worst in the ACC. Second worst P5 game (ND) for a OL on the season. Williams, Carter, Dyami, Dazz helped cover that up. The hope was that they'd improve enough to hold the door until our skill guys stepped up. That obviously hasn't been what's happened. It's not a position group we've recruited extremely well and there doesn't appear to have been much development over the last three years.

And it's a LOS game. Starts up front. When you can't run the ball and you can't stop the run - you're going to lose a lot of football games.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT