ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Duke Game Thread—Saturday 8 February 2020

You can show class without a hug.. I always thought a handshake was enough. I guess times have changed.

Seriously!! Dude snubbed him when we beat his ass at Dook last year, but is ready to hug and smile when he embarrasses us on our own court.

I just wish Roy had the vitriol for our biggest rival that we've blown double digit leads to that he has for the irrelevant team that's beaten us only four times in over 15 years.

Uhhh i was watching from front row on the floor.

Tre scored 28 on 25 shots. Cole had 24 on 17 shots. Half of Tre’s points were while we were in prevent at the end of regulation. If we didnt have Cole handling the ball all game we would have struggled to get to 60
Prevent for the final 4 mins while up by 13. Lol. Lmfao.

I love Carolina and I will continue to pull for them throughout the season but I just can’t seem to like this team, mainly because of their low basketball IQ and ability to continuously blow leads and choke at the free throw line. It’s just so frustrating.

I was at game. Refs were bad on both ends but the last no call was especially egregious. Platek was tackled. I was about 5 rows up behind Dook families behind Dook bench and they were stunned at the no call, literally. That being said this team is pure trash. They don’t know how to win.

15.8 seconds and 4:04 in OT out PG literally just gets stripped and the ball taken from him like candy.

He refused to pass down the stretch in regulation which destroyed our offense. Tre Jones blew past him for 17 straight for what you say was "prevent". What is prevent? Let them score in 5 seconds every single trip? What are you preventing?

Reactions: Lydia green
I was at game. Refs were bad on both ends but the last no call was especially egregious. Platek was tackled. I was about 5 rows up behind Dook families behind Dook bench and they were stunned at the no call, literally. That being said this team is pure trash. They don’t know how to win.
dont hold back tell us how you really feel about the unc team...

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
This game hurt. We should’ve won. We could’ve won, but didn’t. These kids fought hard, played hard but didn’t make plays when they needed to. We can blame refs, which obviously didn’t help, but if we’re honest, when have they ever helped us? Never. Difference is teams in the past found a way to win because they had guys who knew how to win. They had guys who had guys who came before them who learned how to win these game because they learned from guys before them. They knew how to calm down when pressure came, knew how to lift a team up on their shoulders, knew how to win. This team doesn’t have those players. At least not on the floor. We have guys who are good, give it all they can, but who aren’t on the same level as those who’ve come before them. Doesn’t mean they aren’t worthy of our love and adoration, they just aren’t like what we’re used to.

But make no mistake about it, they are Tar Heels. Watching these kids scrap, dive for balls, go after rebounds and try to get the crowd into it right up until the end, they are kids we can be proud of. They aren't the caliber of player we are used to having, nor are they the kind of players we would like to see, but they are who we have now and who we need to support, no matter what. I don’t like the play or losses any more than anyone else, but it is what it is and if I am going to call myself a Tar Heel fan, I am going to support them no matter what. Good or bad, I’m going to be there cheering for them, no matter how much they drive me crazy!

Last edited:
Reactions: pittsburghheel
Uhhh i was watching from front row on the floor.

Tre scored 28 on 25 shots. Cole had 24 on 17 shots. Half of Tre’s points were while we were in prevent at the end of regulation. If we didnt have Cole handling the ball all game we would have struggled to get to 60
Ding ding ding. Cole did some freshman things but Tre Jones is a G-League all day.

Reactions: Heelicious
Except for the outcome, this was a great game.

We were treated to trademark Carolina Basketball for much of the first half and gutty play throughout.

We're struggling to stay out of the cellar while they are a championship contender. I feel really good about our team after that performance.

Reactions: Littlejon
Except for the outcome, this was a great game.

We were treated to trademark Carolina Basketball for much of the first half and gutty play throughout.

We're struggling to stay out of the cellar while they are a championship contender. I feel really good about our team after that performance.

It was a great game that i didnt expect us to win. But having that game all but wrapped up numerous times and refusing to put it away is inexcusable. We could be playing the Lakers and you should still win a game you are up 13 in with 3 minutes left. I am just so tired of them stealing games against us that we have outplayed them for 99% of the game in.

-blew a 16 point lead at halftime in 2011 at Cameron
-blew an 11 point lead with 2 minutes left at home in 2012
-blew a 7 point lead with 2 minutes left at Cameron in 2015
-led entire game in 2016 at home before losing in last minute

when will we finally get a break against them? I havent seen us steal a game against them since 2005

btw, even in a down year for college basketball i dont see dook cutting down the nets. Carey is a stud and Stanley and Jones are solid but a team like Kansas or Louisville should run them off the court

Cole had to lay low on Jones with 4 fouls. Don’t overhype him. Dook isn’t dumb. They attacked all our guys with 4 fouls. Even then while everybody else was shitting down their leg, Cole was willing to take shots, hit shots and hit free throws. Good teams find ways to win games. Bad teams find ways to lose games. We are in that second group. Pure shit.

Cole had to lay low on Jones with 4 fouls. Don’t overhype him. Dook isn’t dumb. They attacked all our guys with 4 fouls. Even then while everybody else was shitting down their leg, Cole was willing to take shots, hit shots and hit free throws. Good teams find ways to win games. Bad teams find ways to lose games. We are in that second group. Pure shit.
So go zone when up 13. There is no just point to even play if your defensive strategy is to let them blow past you over and over because you are afraid to foul every play.

So go zone when up 13. There is no just point to even play if your defensive strategy is to let them blow past you over and over because you are afraid to foul every play.

sounds like a coaching problem and not a Cole problem. It was clear as day in the last 4 minutes all we were trying to do was not foul and not give up 3’s. Which is all it usually takes to win when you have a 13 point lead. Unfortunately no one on this team other than Cole has any intestinal fortitude to make free throws in winning time. Platek barely scraping the rim shows you he was overcome by nerves

sounds like a coaching problem and not a Cole problem. It was clear as day in the last 4 minutes all we were trying to do was not foul and not give up 3’s. Which is all it usually takes to win when you have a 13 point lead. Unfortunately no one on this team other than Cole has any intestinal fortitude to make free throws in winning time. Platek barely scraping the rim shows you he was overcome by nerves
Looked clear to me that it was just Tre blowing past everyone in transition over and over.

we did go zone but it was too late when it was much closer.

Cole passed and deferred more than he had all season. To act like he shoulders blame is laughable. Kids like Platek literally pissed down their damn leg, almost air balling a free throw down the stretch. Dook fan in front of me kept sayin Platek was their best player down the stretch. It’s an embarassment.

I wasn’t able to watch nor look at what everyone is saying about the game but my viewpoint is..... I’ve seen enough stats to know this game was lost at the FT line no doubt at all. As well as most of our games we’ve lost. If we take the easy points, and yes FTs are easy points, we win most of the games we’ve lost. No I don’t have the stats in front of me to prove my point just an observation.

Lastly, the foul when up by three really backfired on us too. If it can go wrong and cost us the it will. The stars just aren’t aligned for us at all this year and not to mention we aren’t the smartest team ever assembled.

My 10-year-old son and I made the trip from California. We were standing outside the Dean dome and Roy walked out. He was nice enough to get a picture with us before he ducked in his car. He was definitely all business.

my son was pestering me about wanting to go to Keenan stadium and play football on the field. I told him that it is usually locked up. We were able to find an open door and run a few plays.

I hava feeling that today is our day. Go heels!!!

SOunds like it was an awesome game other than the score and plus spending time with your son is well worth it.

Looking at the box score there’s no way to win when we miss 17 freaking FTs I don’t care who you play. Also noticed four guys fouled out two for each team. Must’ve either been called really close or a lot of stupid fouls....with us probably stupid fouls. It’s getting really pitiful that Bacot can’t stay in the game due to fouling out. Cole almost played the entire game wow it could’ve been worse if he hadn’t.

Having watched some highlights maybe that’s why cole kept getting beat on drives is the foul trouble.

Once again brooks goes 0-5 from the line. If I remember correctly that’s two games in a row where he’s gone 0 for whatever (seems like it was 0-7 against bc) unacceptable. Brooks was 1-2 against FSU so that’s 1-14 not a math major but that’s less than 10% OMG. These are free points take adfreakingvantage of them. Not like these guys haven’t played this game almost all their lives.

Francis not in the box score so I guess he’s out again and of course brob is still out. Gonna pray this team continues to bond and wins the ACC tourney.

Very bad coaching by HOF Roy Williams. Cannot give Tre Jones layup after layup. Cole Anthony played great. Either go zone or box and one with KJ Smith on Jones.

Reactions: Tarheels39
Very bad coaching by HOF Roy Williams. Cannot give Tre Jones layup after layup. Cole Anthony played great. Either go zone or box and one with KJ Smith on Jones.

If that is true and Roy isn’t coaching his best then I worried about his successor. It has been said that maybe Hubert would take over once Roy retires. If so and he isn’t making any suggestions to Roy about going zone or box then he’s gonna do it the same way. Love Roy but I don’t recall so many boneheaded calls on part of our coach when dean was there....now with Doherty he made plenty of questionable calls. Now before someone calls me out about yes I know dean can’t coach forever and yes I know he’s passed away too. I’m just not used to some many second guessing calls on part of our coach or is it just an excuse?

I really don’t wanna read or hear anyone talking about well they played hard and blah blah blah....moral victories are for players that go to that school on Raleigh not here. I expect hard and smart play every game. I do realize there’s not much smart play going on right now but that’s not why we lost tonight......17

Don't know what 17 refers to in last post. So I will say that not since giving up 8 point lead in last 17 seconds of Duke and UNC in 1974 has a team looked so clueless

Ok so I just got home from game. Had to stop on way back to Winston and drink a beer or 3 at a local wing place. Here’s my take having been up close and personal at the game, a handful of rows behind the Dook family section.
1. Our free throw shooting overall is shameful, embarassing, laughable, ridiculous, etc.
2. Referees were bad on both sides honestly specifically our man TV Teddy. That mother****er is pure trash. He’s all show. Multiple times players on each side would walk over and ask a question about a call, very respectful, not confrontational and he’d completely show them up. You’d think he learned after having to get on a knee to Joel Berry after getting trashed a few years ago for that fiasco but nope, he’s still a dick.
3. We played great for about 38 minutes then Our lack of talent showed up truly. The lights got wayyyyy too bright for guys like Platek, Mando and evening Brooks. Brooks missed all his damn free throws. wTf?. I’m not saying they didn’t contribute at various times but when it got tough, they pissed down their legs.
4. Andrew Platek has been a topic of conversation this year and I’ve went from thinking he sucked ass to feeling sorry for him. I can tell you with 100% certainty he has zero business playing in the rotation at UNC. He was abused by Cassius Stanley all night. He had most every shot attempt blocked on offense, just pitiful to see in person honestly. Those last 2 free throws he missed, barely grazing iron on the last one was icing on the cake. I’m back to feeling sorry for him because he truly had the deer in headlights look down the stretch. That being said, he was tackled by Wendell Moore and no call. Likely would have pissed on himself and missed the free throws but we deserved the 2 tries for the foul.
5. We do a very poor job in boxing out on free throws. Multiple times tonight, we got lazy and Dook snuck in and got position on free throws but the ball went in so perceivably no harm no foul, well until the end of regulation and OT when we didn’t box out as well
As we should and have it away. Of note, Platek tapping the ball out of bounds on the missed Trey Jones free throw on that second to last possession turned out to be huge. What an idiot that kid is. “He’s our best player”-random Dook fan in front of me referring to Platek down the stretch.
6. Keeling gave us that perimeter shooting threat that is the big differentiator for this team. He was tremendous on offense. Unfortunately he couldn’t guard a wet napkin on the other end. Just low basketball IQ fouling Trey Jones and giving them the 3 point play when we were up 4-5 with a minute to go. Just plain stupid.
7. Roy did all he could to help this team win tonight. Only thing in hindsight that I wish we did earlier was go zone once Cole and Brooks and Leaky got 4 fouls. Trey Jones scored
What felt like 100 points straight Bc we were afraid to get near him Bc he gets the call on even the slightest bit of contact even when he initiates it.
8. Cole Anthony was a dog. Dude hit 9-10 free throws and a good amount of big shots for us, all while getting others involved. He Competes hard, is very encouraging to teammates and truly just leaves it all out there. He’s certainly not perfect but he brings it every night, you can’t question that. It’s also sad to see some on here try and find blame towards him when he gives
Us all he does with honestly some
Pretty shitty talent around him in spots by UNC standards. When it got tough, others hid in the corner leaving only he to take a shot or create a shot for a big on the block.
9. Leaky had his best game as a Tar Heel. He was great on both ends of the floor. He made a few stupid passes but it happens. Overall I was impressed with what he brought tonight.
10. All in all, good teams find a way to win. Bad teams find a way to lose. We are a bad team.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Watching the game if I can stand to. One thing is for sure we have the matador defense down to a science. Wow the lane just part for another dook layup.

It was a great game that i didnt expect us to win. But having that game all but wrapped up numerous times and refusing to put it away is inexcusable. We could be playing the Lakers and you should still win a game you are up 13 in with 3 minutes left. I am just so tired of them stealing games against us that we have outplayed them for 99% of the game in.

-blew a 16 point lead at halftime in 2011 at Cameron
-blew an 11 point lead with 2 minutes left at home in 2012
-blew a 7 point lead with 2 minutes left at Cameron in 2015
-led entire game in 2016 at home before losing in last minute

when will we finally get a break against them? I havent seen us steal a game against them since 2005

btw, even in a down year for college basketball i dont see dook cutting down the nets. Carey is a stud and Stanley and Jones are solid but a team like Kansas or Louisville should run them off the court

This one reminds me of the game Austin rivers stole from us and it sucks just as bad and maybe more.

Another mind boggling stat is the 18 turnovers...let me guess platek had 10 of them ( just kidding). Gotta value the ball more than that especially against a decent team.

Dear Lord Goldwire blew right by our vaulted defense for a layup

If we don’t tighten up the defense we are screwed

So I’m watching the game and we had a 13 point lead under 4 mins to go and Carey had fouled out yet we still lost...how in the world?

Reactions: Tarheels39
PLatek’s horrendous FT shooting followed by the matador defense for another layup. Not sure that was the defense Roy called most of the night but it sure was played a lot. We let them score too quickly and with very little resistance in the last couple of mins of the game. Make them work for their points a little. This was terrible game management the last couple of mins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT