ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Duke Game Thread—Saturday 8 February 2020

Well that was painful to watch and inexplainable as to how we lost that one. So next time will Roy foul when up three? He’s tried it both ways with the same result.

Keeling fouling Trey Jones when we were up 5 with 16 seconds to go to give him a shot at a 3 point play which he missed but Platek rather than rebound the ball literally punches it out of bounds. Watch the replay. What the **** was he doing? Followed by missed free throws. Platek getting tackled. Platek reaching in on Jones for the foul when miraculously Keeling had actually decently defended and contested a Jones running 1 hander from the right side. Trey makes front end and missed second but we can’t corral the rebound. Trey Jones maybe double dribbled to get off an errant shot that Wendell Moore catches and tosses in as time expires with Keeling standing there having missed the box out.

Keeling fouling Trey Jones when we were up 5 with 16 seconds to go to give him a shot at a 3 point play which he missed but Platek rather than rebound the ball literally punches it out of bounds. Watch the replay. What the **** was he doing? Followed by missed free throws. Platek getting tackled. Platek reaching in on Jones for the foul when miraculously Keeling had actually decently defended and contested a Jones running 1 hander from the right side. Trey makes front end and missed second but we can’t corral the rebound. Trey Jones maybe double dribbled to get off an errant shot that Wendell Moore catches and tosses in as time expires with Keeling standing there having missed the box out.

Yeah not sure what platek was thinking

Platek was fouled but like so many others i agree I’m sure he would’ve missed them. The out of bounds was probably correct but the foul that was missed was horrible.

Keeling with a good defensive play followed by a missed assignment on the block out....game over.

Finally screw coach K!!

I mean, we have blown big leads against Pitt, Virginia Tech, Duke, and Clemson now. Any time we get ahead and someone says wow they are doing good eh! I just think... There is just a good a chance of us losing by double digits than winning this game no matter how well we are doing.

Diehard fans and some of us are truthful in our observations. I bleed Carolina blue as much as anyone but I’m honest and call it like I see it. If you aren’t talking about me then excuse this post.
nope only talking about those calling our players trash bumbs stupid if you didnt resort to name calling but just critiqued, it wasnt about you

What constitutes an illegal FT and how many people does one need around to miss the call?

You need to grow a set and understand that you can't blame the refs when you get 38 free throws on the night and miss 17. Make just one more free throw and you win, or maybe find someone who can guard Trey Jones. See you all in two weeks.

Haven't read the game thread, don't plan to. What I saw was our team play their best game of the season against a quality opponent, lead all but 1:47 of regulation, and once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at crunch time by failing to make free throw after free throw. Garrison's ineptitude at the line is particularly frustrating.

So please quit blaming the refs, we shot 38 freakin' free throws and missed 17 of them, some the front ends of one and ones. So we certainly have no one to blame but ourselves. No one.

Worst shooting UNC team I've ever seen, bar none.

Set aside the facts of dismal free throw shooting, a team of repeated poor fundamentals, poor man defense, ineffective 2 man screen and roll defense....insert one of your annual favorites. This is a fundamentally inept team, regardless if a freshman or junior. Multiple mistakes are seen on every critical play. This team can compete but it requires one player on the court. Thats Bacot, if he can stay in the game and get coached up from just a fundamental standpoint.

We win that game with Bacot. He would have been in the middle to challenge Jones constant layup exhibition. It will take a monumental effort to keep him from fouling out by the staff. Half of his fouls are mental mistakes. His effort comes and goes(truly reflective of AAU, his fundamentals are non existent).

Roys elite teams had a rim defender to alter the perimeter drives. Of course now, should have developed Huffman more(not very mobile but will dunk and has 5 fouls to give). Platek and Pierce play a role but they cannot be together for extended minutes(one or the other).

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Set aside the facts of dismal free throw shooting, a team of repeated poor fundamentals, poor man defense, ineffective 2 man screen and roll defense....insert one of your annual favorites. This is a fundamentally inept team, regardless if a freshman or junior. Multiple mistakes are seen on every critical play. This team can compete but it requires one player on the court. Thats Bacot, if he can stay in the game and get coached up from just a fundamental standpoint.

We win that game with Bacot. He would have been in the middle to challenge Jones constant layup exhibition. It will take a monumental effort to keep him from fouling out by the staff. Half of his fouls are mental mistakes. His effort comes and goes(truly reflective of AAU, his fundamentals are non existent).

Roys elite teams had a rim defender to alter the perimeter drives. Of course now, should have developed Huffman more(not very mobile but will dunk and has 5 fouls to give). Platek and Pierce play a role but they cannot be together for extended minutes(one or the other).
My recollection may be off but I didn't think Bacot was fouled out yet for the majority of what you are talking about. They talked about UNC matching the smaller size of Duke then Bilas suggested going two bigs and not matching them. And we did go two bigs. It didn't matter if we had bigs in though. He was simply running past everyone in transition. Most of the players were at half court or by the 3 point arch when he was blowing past Cole for layup after layup.

I wanna make it clear that I am a full supporter of Cole. And, I might get aggravated and criticize him, but that is no different than me criticizing an Andrew Platek or whoever. If you are doing something wrong in my eyes, I am going to point it out whether you are a walk on or a top recruit.

When I say about Tre before Cole, I am praising Tre. Tre has been a lot better this year than last. His defense is markedly good, his jumper has improved, and his decision making is definitely better.

Cole obviously has an NBA career ahead of him. I just don't see him as a top talent coming off the board in my eyes. He strikes me moreso as a step back shooter than most else.

I wanna make it clear that I am a full supporter of Cole. And, I might get aggravated and criticize him, but that is no different than me criticizing an Andrew Platek or whoever. If you are doing something wrong in my eyes, I am going to point it out whether you are a walk on or a top recruit.

When I say about Tre before Cole, I am praising Tre. Tre has been a lot better this year than last. His defense is markedly good, his jumper has improved, and his decision making is definitely better.

Cole obviously has an NBA career ahead of him. I just don't see him as a top talent coming off the board in my eyes. He strikes me moreso as a step back shooter than most else.

I respect it and get your point on Tre. He was tremendous. That being said, despite a few homers on here telling you otherwise, the other 98% of people who follow college basketball and those good analysts that we all love when they are telling us how good we are recognize that we are LOW on talent. I’m serious. We have done a lot of silly shit to lose a lot of games this year but I truly don’t think we grasp how low the talent is around Cole, Brooks and Bacot. And he’ll even Bacot is hit or miss at times because He is in fact a freshman. Brooks was a career role player until being thrust into a bigger Role this year. It’s all about fit. A ball dominant guard will struggle when the pieces around him especially on the perimeter aren’t a threat to score. This is where I think Roy knew we couldn’t rely on our returning wings to consistently hit shots (Platek and Leaky) and needed to find shooters who could open up some space for Cole and landed in on the grad transfers who have largely been a bust. Save the keeling commentary on putting the ball in the basket the last few games, because if you’ve watched him on defense, he literally gives up every bucket he makes on the other end and then some. I’m not even talking about shooting which is baddd for this team but literally our other 2 wings on most nights without BRob aren’t willing to pull the trigger unless absolutely necessary late in the clock or wide open inside 10 feet. That’s not going to work...

I respect it and get your point on Tre. He was tremendous. That being said, despite a few homers on here telling you otherwise, the other 98% of people who follow college basketball and those good analysts that we all love when they are telling us how good we are recognize that we are LOW on talent. I’m serious. We have done a lot of silly shit to lose a lot of games this year but I truly don’t think we grasp how low the talent is around Cole, Brooks and Bacot. And he’ll even Bacot is hit or miss at times because He is in fact a freshman. Brooks was a career role player until being thrust into a bigger Role this year. It’s all about fit. A ball dominant guard will struggle when the pieces around him especially on the perimeter aren’t a threat to score. This is where I think Roy knew we couldn’t rely on our returning wings to consistently hit shots (Platek and Leaky) and needed to find shooters who could open up some space for Cole and landed in on the grad transfers who have largely been a bust. Save the keeling commentary on putting the ball in the basket the last few games, because if you’ve watched him on defense, he literally gives up every bucket he makes on the other end and then some. I’m not even talking about shooting which is baddd for this team but literally our other 2 wings on most nights without BRob aren’t willing to pull the trigger unless absolutely necessary late in the clock or wide open inside 10 feet. That’s not going to work...
Like I felt Cole played immaculate up to about 2 or 3 minutes left. Then I felt he reverted back to being too dominant of the ball.

Defense-wise late I get he didn't want to get his 5th foul or whatever so he couldn't do too much in regards to drivers, and it was more of an issue with defensive strategy there.

I just don't see something that I am like oh boy this guy is going to be something great in the league, and I fear that end of year evaluations this is going to make him drop significantly. Like, when I saw Coby White I was like hot damn this dude is amazing. I just don't see that with Cole. He unquestionably has a great step back jump shot. I question whether in high school he was too dominant and thus he hasn't acclimated to more teamball in college. I mean, he was doing a good job at it for the vast majority of this game. I just felt like he reverted like a bad habit at the end.

Like I felt Cole played immaculate up to about 2 or 3 minutes left. Then I felt he reverted back to being too dominant of the ball.

Defense-wise late I get he didn't want to get his 5th foul or whatever so he couldn't do too much in regards to drivers, and it was more of an issue with defensive strategy there.

I just don't see something that I am like oh boy this guy is going to be something great in the league, and I fear that end of year evaluations this is going to make him drop significantly. Like, when I saw Coby White I was like hot damn this dude is amazing. I just don't see that with Cole. He unquestionably has a great step back jump shot. I question whether in high school he was too dominant and thus he hasn't acclimated to more teamball in college. I mean, he was doing a good job at it for the vast majority of this game. I just felt like he reverted like a bad habit at the end.

Were you at the game? I say that not to be a smart ass but can tell you first hand, the lack of movement offensively in crunch time, as well as the hot potato shit our other guards so when the shot clock gets under 10 looks ridiculous on TV but to see it in person is 100x worse. Literally the other 2 fill in the blank guards can’t wait to get the ball out of their hands back to Cole, and the big just stand there not fighting for position. It goes back to having kids who are willing to be the guy, and having kids who don’t ever want to even try to be the guy. There were kids on our team last night who literally looked scared to death. One in particular legs were shaking so bad before a free throw that he kept having to crouch while taking deep breathes like he was about to throw up. I’ll let you guess who that clown was. Cole was 9-10 on the line in a game like that. He’s a dog. And he’s different then any other kid we have on this roster. He’s also not the best fit for what surrounds him on this roster but I blame Roy for not being able to find a consistent shooter, or you could place blame on Keeling and Pierce not being the knock down shooters they were lauded to be which was the value they perceivably had for this team. I acknowledge that as well.

Reactions: Sk1310
No, I was gonna come down this year for the ACC tourney in Greensboro but I ain't now cuz it would just be depressing.

Were you at the game? I say that not to be a smart ass but can tell you first hand, the lack of movement offensively in crunch time, as well as the hot potato shit our other guards so when the shot clock gets under 10 looks ridiculous on TV but to see it in person is 100x worse. Literally the other 2 fill in the blank guards can’t wait to get the ball out of their hands back to Cole, and the big just stand there not fighting for position. It goes back to having kids who are willing to be the guy, and having kids who don’t ever want to even try to be the guy. There were kids on our team last night who literally looked scared to death. One in particular legs were shaking so bad before a free throw that he kept having to crouch while taking deep breathes like he was about to throw up. I’ll let you guess who that clown was. Cole was 9-10 on the line in a game like that. He’s a dog. And he’s different then any other kid we have on this roster. He’s also not the best fit for what surrounds him on this roster but I blame Roy for not being able to find a consistent shooter, or you could place blame on Keeling and Pierce not being the knock down shooters they were lauded to be which was the value they perceivably had for this team. I acknowledge that as well.

Another good offensive game by Keeling. Yeah yeah I know, the defense..but please please start him over Platek. Black fouling out was huge yesterday, believe it or not.

Another good offensive game by Keeling. Yeah yeah I know, the defense..but please please start him over Platek. Black fouling out was huge yesterday, believe it or not.

keeling has been exactly what we’ve needed him to be offensively the last 2 games. But truly, he’s our worst defender and that says a lot when you look at the band of misfits around him.

And he’ll even Bacot is hit or miss at times because He is in fact a freshman.
Bacot rarely makes his shots under or close to the basket. He can dunk, but from where I've been sitting, he doesn't make his "around the rim" shots very much.

Bacot rarely makes his shots under or close to the basket. He can dunk, but from where I've been sitting, he doesn't make his "around the rim" shots very much.
For awhile there, it looked like Bacot and Brooks at the beginning of the season just threw the ball up at the rim. Brooks has got it together. Bacot I still fill this way about sometimes. Rarely would they ever pass it back out.

One thing Bobby Knight was always right about is that Teddy is a prima donna bad ref.

Overall, I thought the refs were fine. Teddy blew that call, but overall I thought UNC surprisingly got a lot of calls that could go either way with K standing over there whining. And even if he had make the call, I'm not sure Platek could have even drawn rim after he barely got the front of the rim previously. Regardless, UNC made other mistakes that lost the game. First thing first.......a college team cant, and shouldnt, miss 17 free throws. Second, during Dukes comeback, they are going in for a layup and Keeling reaches out for a touch foul. Either let him go, or put him on the deck. Cant give a gift 3 point play. Third, with around two minutes left UNC came down with an opportunity to burn some time, but Cole decided it was showtime and tried to hit about a 10 ft runner. Just stupid. Lastly, at the end of regulation, Platek fouled too soon and left more than enough time for any kind of rebound and shot. There are many others, but appreciated the effort. UNC still isnt very good, and played without their best shooting guard. At least after watching last nights game I have a little more confidence that Duke wont win it all. A team poised to win it all doesnt need multiple miracles to beat this year's UNC team, or lose to Clemson.

For awhile there, it looked like Bacot and Brooks at the beginning of the season just threw the ball up at the rim. Brooks has got it together. Bacot I still fill this way about sometimes. Rarely would they ever pass it back out.

Bacot is very limited offensively...very.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT