ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2021

Yeah and also if it's true, he's obviously going to hear the rumors. You don't want a coach that will be here another month thinking he's going to be fired. I guess it might be a recruiting thing, but I'd rather just pull off the band-aid and get the new guy a chance to start working with the team some.
Maybe the replacement hasn't been chosen.

Maybe the replacement hasn't been chosen.
Still doesn't change any of the other issues. A replacement needs to be found ASAP if that's the case. People are going to be getting offers already. Don't need to get the scraps, which is honestly what we already have.

Reactions: uncboy10
Still doesn't change any of the other issues. A replacement needs to be found ASAP if that's the case. People are going to be getting offers already. Don't need to get the scraps, which is honestly what we already have.
Agreed. If we are replacing him, it is dumb to let him stick around while the best candidates get scooped up.

Plus if all this is true, why wouldn't Bateman tell them no thanks? It's like working a 2 week notice.... just kinda awkward.

To get our minds briefly off the terror topic of Mack firing Bateman and then promoting one of the assistant coaches to DC, here is what I now wonder about Kelly going to LSU: Will that help LSU land Arch Manning?

^ Luke fickell?
MY guess is that ND will target Fickell. He's from OH and knows the Big Ten and the midwest inside and out. He's Catholic. He has a team from the G5 that deserves to be in the playoffs. Sounds perfect for ND.

I hope that Aranda is not the ND choice, I think Aranda may become a top HC, and he's the kind of guy I'd love to see replace Mack. He was a great coordinator at 3 schools, 2 of them P5 powers. And he has put Baylor in the Big 12 Championship in his second season. He was Tom Herman's roommate in college, and like Herman he is a very smart guy who could have gone to Grad school or Law school but chose coaching.

To get our minds briefly off the terror topic of Mack firing Bateman and then promoting one of the assistant coaches to DC, here is what I now wonder about Kelly going to LSU: Will that help LSU land Arch Manning?
I expect granddad Archie to have a lot of input into where Arch winds up.

I expect granddad Archie to have a lot of input into where Arch winds up.
Yep. But that does not mean it definitely will be Ole Miss. I think Arch will go where he feels most comfortable as a student athlete, and that will feature a coach he respects and wants to play for.

It seems that VT is hiring Penn St DC Brent Pry as HC.

That means that in this year in which a number of programs were searching, VT could not land a proven G5 HC.

I don't think Luke Fickell would take the ND job and leave his team stranded as it prepares to win the AAC and then go to the playoff. So the longer that ND does not announce somebody else, the more I assume that Fickell will be the next ND coach.

Then the now plum Cincy job will be open.

It's being reported that Marcus Freeman, current ND defensive coordinator, is going to be named head coach. Interesting choice.

It's being reported that Marcus Freeman, current ND defensive coordinator, is going to be named head coach. Interesting choice.
This is his first year at ND. He inherited a very good D, which means he maintained for 1 season. It's hard to screw up a really good thing in just 1 season, which means this ND D tells us next to nothing about what he can do to rebuild or to maintain over time.

Spurning the only G5 coach to get a team into the Top 4 rankings for the playoff could be very costly for ND football. UNC needs to be ready to exploit that.

i’m going to laugh if things break right and the irish end up in the playoff.
They could. But if Cincy, Ok St, and Mich all win, they should be in with UGA - assuming UGA beats Bama. If Bama upsets UGA, both are going to the playoff.

ND is handicapped by not having a CCG to win - unless it is a weird year in which at least 2, 3 this year, teams ranked ahead of them lose in their CCG.

This is his first year at ND. He inherited a very good D, which means he maintained for 1 season. It's hard to screw up a really good thing in just 1 season, which means this ND D tells us next to nothing about what he can do to rebuild or to maintain over time.

Spurning the only G5 coach to get a team into the Top 4 rankings for the playoff could be very costly for ND football. UNC needs to be ready to exploit that.
You're assuming they spurned him. He could have said no to them. Especially with a potential playoff spot coming up and Cincinnati's conference move.

really.. really... ND just made a great choice.

really.. really... ND just made a great choice.
And you know that because he's been a great DC at at least 2 P5 schools, serving at each at least 3 years, so you know that 1 good season was not a fluke?

The less experience a guy has, the less you can know. He's never been HC anywhere. He's been at ND just 1 season. He inherited a good D at ND.

What is best about him is that he is a long time protege of Fickell, who is very much old school. But as he is lacking experience, it is anybody's guess how he will handle being HC.

I have talked up Fickell for years, but I never would have wanted UNC to risk hiring him as HC until he'd been HC somewhere else for at least a couple of years.

ND has made a risky hire. It is similar to both UNC hiring Torbush and Miami hiring Shannon. Both of those hires hurt the programs a great deal. Maybe the luck of the Irish will mean ND avoids all that bad. And maybe Freeman will be revealed as a guy who needed another couple years as a P5 DC and then maybe 2 or 3 years as a G5 HC before he became a P5 HC.

It seems that Clemson AD Dan Radakovich (a Miami alum) is about to become the new Miami AD. If so, what does that mean for Diaz? And what could it mean for Clemson?

It means Clemson is going to get a new athletic director?
A new AD always means other changes within a couple of years. I assume top priority for Clemson in hiring a new AD would be to make Dabo as happy and content as is possible. Right now, OU may be trying its best to rectify its mistake with Venables in the past and hire him as HC. If so, Clemson needs to be making Venables even happier in upstate SC, because that will make Dabo happy.

A new AD always means other changes within a couple of years. I assume top priority for Clemson in hiring a new AD would be to make Dabo as happy and content as is possible. Right now, OU may be trying its best to rectify its mistake with Venables in the past and hire him as HC. If so, Clemson needs to be making Venables even happier in upstate SC, because that will make Dabo happy.
Without Venables, Dabo doesn't have his national championships.

Reactions: MWHeels
I heard LSU never considered Billy Napier. I would love to know the reason for that.

And you know that because he's been a great DC at at least 2 P5 schools, serving at each at least 3 years, so you know that 1 good season was not a fluke?

The less experience a guy has, the less you can know. He's never been HC anywhere. He's been at ND just 1 season. He inherited a good D at ND.

What is best about him is that he is a long time protege of Fickell, who is very much old school. But as he is lacking experience, it is anybody's guess how he will handle being HC.

I have talked up Fickell for years, but I never would have wanted UNC to risk hiring him as HC until he'd been HC somewhere else for at least a couple of years.

ND has made a risky hire. It is similar to both UNC hiring Torbush and Miami hiring Shannon. Both of those hires hurt the programs a great deal. Maybe the luck of the Irish will mean ND avoids all that bad. And maybe Freeman will be revealed as a guy who needed another couple years as a P5 DC and then maybe 2 or 3 years as a G5 HC before he became a P5 HC.

There is something your comparison analysis is missing. ND made the least risky choice... this is a program that is on solid ground with the football staff and with more momentum in recruiting than anytime I can remember, most attribute this to Freeman's energy and efforts. The kids, the former players and internal staff dd not stand behind Freeman in a show of popularity, but because they know he has that it and they believe he will evaluate them even more. Luck will have nothing to do with how well Freeman does . Swarbrick is a careful man and the decision tree in south Bend is Him and father Jenkins. ND prioritized him over Finkel his ex boss.

Torbush came with a warning label that was ignored, he did not have that IT. Randy Shannon had only been in one program as an assistant.. Freeman has been in three really successful programs. Betting against him seems risky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT