ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2021

if he’s ever going to leave, this is the job.

and yes, clemson is going to be a little different now.
Depends on the next DC. This year the offense was flat as a flitter. If Clemson gets an average DC, then the Tigers are going to be looking at a number of teams winning 8 or 9 and desperate to win more.

Is Venables actually going to leave Clemson??? I'm wondering if he's even able to be a good head coach! It might mean that both Clemson AND OK are worse in the future.

Is Venables actually going to leave Clemson??? I'm wondering if he's even able to be a good head coach! It might mean that both Clemson AND OK are worse in the future.
I would think that a program like OU would want a proven HC. But a group of boosters likely is pointing out that (A) Bob Stoops was a great DC with no HC experience and (B) that if Stoops had not petted his brother Mike and instead had turned the OU D fully over to Venables, OU might well have won another National Championship.

Miami in talks with Cristobal according to ESPN. He's the best candidate based on his history with the program.

Joe Brady is now available for those interested in a new OC.
I would take him, but no way Mack would hire him. With our luck, Diaz will save his job by hiring Brady to replace Rhett Lashlee, and Brady will light a huge fire under the Miami offense.

Miami still hasn't officially fired Diaz. Not the best way to handle this situation.

Louisiana hired one of its co-OCs to replace Billy Napier. Michael Desormeaux, a native of New Iberia, LA, is only 36 and has coached college football only for the Ragin' Cajuns. But he is an alum, and before becoming an assistant at his alma mater 5 years ago, he was a winning HS coach in Lafayette. He took over a team that the year before he arrived was winless, and in his 3rd season, he took the team into the State semi finals.

Big opportunity for Carolina football if the recruiting trend stays strong while Clemson tries to recapture the magic.

All the more reason why it is crucial to get the best possible coordinators and position coaches immediately. We are stacking up talent while Clemson seems to have more challenges being put in front of them to slow them down.

cristobal to miami might be a problem
It will be a problem. He could recapture the major recruiting magic of the past. His time at Oregon will mean that he can recruit for Miami easily from states as well as in FL. If he takes the job and hires the right coordinators, he could blitz UNC's chance to win the Coastal before Mack Brown can spell the names of his worst 6 assistant coaches.

Remember - on paper, Miami will return for next year almost as much talent as UNC will have.

Big opportunity for Carolina football if the recruiting trend stays strong while Clemson tries to recapture the magic.

All the more reason why it is crucial to get the best possible coordinators and position coaches immediately. We are stacking up talent while Clemson seems to have more challenges being put in front of them to slow them down.
Yep.

Delaying is a very bad thing. Clemson has that magnificent stadium and its pageantry. With Dabo, that all means very good recruiting. Add top coordinators, and Clemson can remain the beast of the Atlantic.

Will Dabo be able to hit a home run in replacing Venables? Could he lure Muschamp?

Chris Low says that Clemson OC Tony Elliott is being looked at for HC jobs by both Dook and UVA.

Want to have a nightmare? Just envision Mack boasting about his staff while Dabo lands Muschamp as DC and Joe Brady as OC - and Cristobal takes over the Canes.

Chris Low says that Clemson OC Tony Elliott is being looked at for HC jobs by both Dook and UVA.

Want to have a nightmare? Just envision Mack boasting about his staff while Dabo lands Muschamp as DC and Joe Brady as OC - and Cristobal takes over the Canes.
Literally none of those things would give UNC nor me nightmares.

Reactions: heelfan1961
SP+
Oregon 28th
Miami 31st

ESPN FPI:
Miami 20th
Oregon 26th!

These metrics can be skewed but I think they show Miami being not that far from Oregon in terms of the teams ability or potential. Just two acc losses last yr (Clemson and us) and just three this yr (barely lost to us and UVA while breaking in that new QB)

We're 36th in FPI ...

Last edited:
would love him…imo, he’s the next big thing…unless he’s an alcoholic or a racist.
I kinda think the jury is still out on Brady. The Panthers gig was his first as an OC. He was passing game coordinator at LSU, iirc. He didn't really "wow" me at Carolina, but having McCaffrey injured all the time, plus shitty qbs certainly didn't help his cause. Sounds like Rhule wanted him to emphasize the run game, and they just weren't in the same page.

Everyone assumed he would get an nfl HC job soon, but him getting sacked might slow that train down a bit. Regardless, I heard he really didn't want to deal with recruiting so he may not want to return to college coaching.

Reactions: gteeitup
I kinda think the jury is still out on Brady. The Panthers gig was his first as an OC. He was passing game coordinator at LSU, iirc. He didn't really "wow" me at Carolina, but having McCaffrey injured all the time, plus shitty qbs certainly didn't help his cause. Sounds like Rhule wanted him to emphasize the run game, and they just weren't in the same page.

Everyone assumed he would get an nfl HC job soon, but him getting sacked might slow that train down a bit. Regardless, I heard he really didn't want to deal with recruiting so he may not want to return to college coaching.
i thought the same, an nfl guy.

Reactions: TarHeelMark

I watch almost no NFL, The one thing I kept hearing about the Panthers was that the OL sucked, which made QB and RB issues much worse.

If your OL is poor, then to have an offense that works well you must have a healthy top level QB; at least 2 healthy top level WRs; and at least 1 healthy top level RB. UNC had all that in 2020. From what I know, the Panthers had none of that but the weak OL in 2021.

Reactions: HeelFan58
Cristobal is official at Miami. How might that alter early signing?

Oregon's QB commit is a Top 300 4* recruit from Gordo, AL named Tanner Bailey. He has de-committed from the Ducks. Will he follow Cristobal? Miami has a pair of big potential young QBs on campus now. Garcia was injured before he could show what he can do, but Van Dyke sure came into his own. Also, Miami has committed in its 2022 class 4*QB Jacurri Brown, from Lowndes Co in Valdosta GA.

Word is a few Clemson players might be transferring to OU to follow the new coach. Will get interesting in the coming weeks.

Michael Irvin on Manny Diaz (paraphrase): He's a good man, but in this business if you want to get into the playoff picture, you must get it done or get moving. And Manny has to get moving.

An argument can be made the Diaz needed to go. But the process they chose to do it is inexcusable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT