ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2021

In case any of you had your hopes up, Mack no longer can hire Ted Roof as DC because Venables has made him OU DC.

Penn St hired Manny Diaz as DC, replacing Brent Pry who became VPI HC. In spurts, Diaz has been a very good DC, but his biggest plus for PSU may be in aiding recruiting in FL.

Oregon hired UGFA DC Dan Lanning as HC. The Ducks have shifted from HCs with background in offense. Is that to get tougher?

Did Lanning have HC possibilities on his mind when facing Bama and did that help the Tide?

Penn St hired Manny Diaz as DC, replacing Brent Pry who became VPI HC. In spurts, Diaz has been a very good DC, but his biggest plus for PSU may be in aiding recruiting in FL.
It's odd to see someone use Manny and recruiting in the same sentence.

Dabo is promoting from within on both sides of the ball.

The DC is going to be Wes Goodwin, who has earned a reputation as a wunderkind in terms of seeing what is going on on the whole field, all players taken note of on plays. He apparently sees the whole field each play, accounting for what each player does. He is not an assistant now; he is an analyst. That means he will be especially green as a DC for certain: it could take him a year or 2 or 3 to hit his stride.

His co-DC will be Mickey Conn, who coaches Safetys and Special Teams.

The OC will be Brandon Streeter, who has been QB coach and Passing Game Coordinator.

As Clemson is going to need time to get back into stride and FSU is still not ready to earn 10 wins, the ACC in 2022 again is wide open for the taking.

How many fans would go crazy if Mack stepped down and longo was hired as new HC? Saw an article saying he deserves to be a HC soon.

How many fans would go crazy if Mack stepped down and longo was hired as new HC? Saw an article saying he deserves to be a HC soon.
Regarding the w/l for next yr I might be okay with Wrongo depending on all the other hires.

We'd gain an additional onfield coach since Wrongo could still be scouting and helping w offensive gm prep (tiny playbook jokes aside).

I'd be worried about recruiting and a few boosters, but what else is Mack bringing to gameday, other than team starts slow and can't put together 4 completes quarters.

And mack has plenty of GameDay farts. Why not for it on 4th late in the 4th down 2 scores vs scar?

So in the short-term it might actually better for 2022 w/l. What if he brought in some genius OC, a solid OL coach and a Mike Tressel type DC?

Mario Cristobal has gotten Bryan McLendon to come to Miami as co-OC and WR coach. He's from Atlanta and played at UGA. He was interim HC for Oregon in this year's bowl. Before 2 years at Oregon, he coached 4 years at SoCar and 7 at UGA.

Regarding the w/l for next yr I might be okay with Wrongo depending on all the other hires.

We'd gain an additional onfield coach since Wrongo could still be scouting and helping w offensive gm prep (tiny playbook jokes aside).

I'd be worried about recruiting and a few boosters, but what else is Mack bringing to gameday, other than team starts slow and can't put together 4 completes quarters.

And mack has plenty of GameDay farts. Why not for it on 4th late in the 4th down 2 scores vs scar?

So in the short-term it might actually better for 2022 w/l. What if he brought in some genius OC, a solid OL coach and a Mike Tressel type DC?
I have never cared much for Longo, but he is not the worst coach on the Offense side. That, obviously, is Searels. Longo is not 2nd worst: that is Galloway. He has great trouble developing even 4 very sound WRs, and the potential among the WR signees has been very good for many years.

Imagine if this team had had a 1st rate OL coach. The offense would have been more consistent in both the running game and the passing. That would have meant more yards, more 1st downs, and a few more TDs.

Our passing game had 1 other glaring weakness: for the first 8 or 9 games, we seem to have had only 1 WR ready to play ACC level football. Because Galloway had failed to develop even 2 other guys able to play alongside Downs and take some DB heat off him, our passing game was always handcuffed.

If we'd had both a 1st rate OL coach and 1st rate WR coach, Longo might have looked like a genius much of the time. Howell's stats would have been gaudy, keeping him in Heisman talk as long as we won.

That problem of poor position coaches is even worse on the Defensive side. As our DC, with the same position coaches, Kirby Smart would look to most people like a barely above average DC.

I have never cared much for Longo, but he is not the worst coach on the Offense side. That, obviously, is Searels. Longo is not 2nd worst: that is Galloway. He has great trouble developing even 4 very sound WRs, and the potential among the WR signees has been very good for many years.

Imagine if this team had had a 1st rate OL coach. The offense would have been more consistent in both the running game and the passing. That would have meant more yards, more 1st downs, and a few more TDs.

Our passing game had 1 other glaring weakness: for the first 8 or 9 games, we seem to have had only 1 WR ready to play ACC level football. Because Galloway had failed to develop even 2 other guys able to play alongside Downs and take some DB heat off him, our passing game was always handcuffed.

If we'd had both a 1st rate OL coach and 1st rate WR coach, Longo might have looked like a genius much of the time. Howell's stats would have been gaudy, keeping him in Heisman talk as long as we won.

That problem of poor position coaches is even worse on the Defensive side. As our DC, with the same position coaches, Kirby Smart would look to most people like a barely above average DC.
Sam had incredible targets making circus catches the first two seasons.

Sam had incredible targets making circus catches the first two seasons.
One of the things that hurt our receivers is Longo's playbook. There's just not enough plays and different formations to put them in a position to get some confidence. Longo's offense is pretty good between the 20s against average teams. His redzone offense and play calling is pretty bad, especially against a solid defense.

Longo's offense is pretty good between the 20s against average teams. His redzone offense and play calling is pretty bad, especially against a solid defense.
yes-i-know-that.gif

DJ Durkin did a great job as Ole Miss DC. Now he is headed to Texas A&M, which is filthy rich beyond measure.

DJ Durkin did a great job as Ole Miss DC. Now he is headed to Texas A&M, which is filthy rich beyond measure.
I dunno how one potentially gauges the "richness" of a university, or its sources of wealth to pay potential coaches. Is it a foregone certainty that UNC Chapel Hill is... financially-challenged? Especially when compared to, say, T A&M, or even Alabama. Where did Alabama get so much money??? The richest man in the state is Nick Saban. He's not donating to his own salary!

ETA:

And, if UNC Chapel Hill is, um, LOADED... what the hell are they waiting for, or holding out for, when it comes to a spending list? They can't be paying Hubert Davis too much.

I dunno how one potentially gauges the "richness" of a university, or its sources of wealth to pay potential coaches. Is it a foregone certainty that UNC Chapel Hill is... financially-challenged? Especially when compared to, say, T A&M, or even Alabama. Where did Alabama get so much money??? The richest man in the state is Nick Saban. He's not donating to his own salary!

ETA:

And, if UNC Chapel Hill is, um, LOADED... what the hell are they waiting for, or holding out for, when it comes to a spending list? They can't be paying Hubert Davis too much.
https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...-programs-new-revenue-figures-for-all-65.html

ETA: These numbers are a little off for A&M. They normally are in the top 10.

"This is a Subscriber Exclusive Story"... but, thanks
That's odd. I'm not a subscriber and it showed up for me. Bottom line is their revenue, before taking into account TV money, is normally in the $100+ range. For comparison, UNC is about half of that. That's before the $20+ million difference in TV revenue.

Plus they have a donor that will bankroll whatever they need.

That's odd. I'm not a subscriber and it showed up for me. Bottom line is their revenue, before taking into account TV money, is normally in the $100+ range. For comparison, UNC is about half of that. That's before the $20+ million difference in TV revenue.

Plus they have a donor that will bankroll whatever they need.
No doubt, the Aggies have boosters ready to cough up whatever it takes to get whatever they want.

They aren't, but they are in the top 25 a lot more than us. Which is slightly more fun to watch than a six win season.
We should just be happy with what we have cuz the PTB don't have the dough to pay the best coaches out there.

We should just be happy with what we have cuz the PTB don't have the dough to pay the best coaches out there.
As one of the better known podcast commentators on UNC football said after that debacle versus the Gamecocks: If we're going to go 7-6 with a bowl win over a G5 team and follow that 2 years later with a 6-7 team that had several embarrassing losses, we could have kept John Bunting.

seems like a few people believe longo racked up all his yards and points against poor teams. exactly which teams were those? the offense needs to improve in several areas but it sounds like some people want to go back to the Fed days - let's score 50 and not worry about D. he's averaged around a top 10 offense in his 3 seasons. bateman's averaged around a top 80 defense.

seems like a few people believe longo racked up all his yards and points against poor teams. exactly which teams were those? the offense needs to improve in several areas but it sounds like some people want to go back to the Fed days - let's score 50 and not worry about D. he's averaged around a top 10 offense in his 3 seasons. bateman's averaged around a top 80 defense.
No where near top 10 where it counts. We flat out suck in the redzone and I can't find anyone who thinks he's a good play caller. He's not the worst out there, but he's not top 10 either.

After this yr the consensus everywhere is that Bateman needs more work than O. Can't we have both?

Reactions: tarheel0910
@tarheel0910 - there's definitely room for improvement (especially in short yardage and redzone) but if you rack up yards and points i'm not sure how you discount that. if we fix the short yardage/redzone issues maybe we move to top 2-3 but top 10 ain't bad. how about giving us 5 or 6 other OCs we could replace him with (guys we could possibly get)

After this yr the consensus everywhere is that Bateman needs more work than O. Can't we have both?
sure we can have both. just seems to me it will be much easier to upgrade bateman than longo. just asked tarheel0910 for some potential OC names - you got any?

Florida State just won another title in women's soccer, a sport that Carolina once owned. The basketball team has endured more than 30 losses since the 19-20 season and the football program has been mired in mediocracy for years and the only thing that gets discussed is Longo and Bateman?
Carolina has real problems within the athletic department and we will not see any changes until we actually get some leadership instead of surveys after ever game ; asking "how was the food" and "did you feel safe entering and exiting the stadium".

Florida State just won another title in women's soccer, a sport that Carolina once owned. The basketball team has endured more than 30 losses since the 19-20 season and the football program has been mired in mediocracy for years and the only thing that gets discussed is Longo and Bateman?
Carolina has real problems within the athletic department and we will not see any changes until we actually get some leadership instead of surveys after ever game ; asking "how was the food" and "did you feel safe entering and exiting the stadium".
It's the only thing that get's discussed because this is a football board. It makes since to discuss football, not soccer on the football board. As for the state of our other programs, this shows once again you have no clue what you are talking about. We just had one of our best seasons ever in the director's cup. Women's soccer is still playing at a high level. I think they finished the regular season in the top 10. That hasn't changed. Tennis, golf, field hockey, wrestling and multiple other sports are at the top of their game. You can't win the national championship every year. Just because you don't like Bubba doesn't mean you can ignore facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT