ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2021

Josh Gattis to be Miami OC. Cristobal is making big moves that could pay off in a big way for the Canes. And that would be bad for UNC, still floundering.

Don’t you know that any moves we make are bad and any moves made by everyone else are good? Get with the program, man.
Hiring Chizik and Warren was a very good move. Keeping Searles was a bad move.

Going 6-7 was a terrible underachievement. Anything less than a Coastal title and 9 wins regular season in 2022 also will be a terrible underachievement.

Reactions: HeelFan58
Hiring Chizik and Warren was a very good move. Keeping Searles was a bad move.

Going 6-7 was a terrible underachievement. Anything less than a Coastal title and 9 wins regular season in 2022 also will be a terrible underachievement.
A terrible underachievement? We just lost the best QB in UNC history, have only one proven offensive player and a bad defense. Nine wins would be an overachievement. Not sure why anyone would expect more than 6-7 wins based on what we know.

Reactions: strummingram
A terrible underachievement? We just lost the best QB in UNC history, have only one proven offensive player and a bad defense. Nine wins would be an overachievement. Not sure why anyone would expect more than 6-7 wins based on what we know.
4 and 5 star talent , you can't keep making excuses.

Based on the facts, there is no reason to think this staff can win regardless of talent. I don't understand why anyone would expect more that 7 wins. So far this staff has managed to get very little out of the players they recruited. They did get a good amount out of Fed's recruits though. If I had to put money on us wining nine games or Mack retiring at the end of the season, I would pick Mack retiring.

Based on the facts, there is no reason to think this staff can win regardless of talent. I don't understand why anyone would expect more that 7 wins. So far this staff has managed to get very little out of the players they recruited. They did get a good amount out of Fed's recruits though. If I had to put money on us wining nine games or Mack retiring at the end of the season, I would pick Mack retiring.
At some point, I just ran out of eternal optimism.

A huge crowd made endless excuses for Bunting forever. A huge crowd made endless excuses for Fedora right until the end. A huge crowd still wishes to pretend (because trying to highlight my ignorance again backfired on them) that I was not correct in my warnings about Mack 2.0.

You are what you tolerate. If you tolerate 6-7 with a team that was pre-season ranked Top 10, you will get more of the same. Mack did make 2 staff changes, but, as I knew, he would not fire any of his BFFs. He made Bateman (an outsider) his scapegoat just as he made Diaz (an outsider) his scapegoat at Texas, and Chizik immediately wanted Warren.

Chizik and warren might get the D running very well, and that might spark the coached on Offense. We'll see. The ACC is not the SEC, not close. The talent is on campus to win the Coastal with at least 10 Ws.

If Mack wants to ride off the glory having made certain we have a younger HC that we all should either back wholeheartedly or else be willing to grant 2 years to show his stuff, and that young HC have ties to Mack, he should recruit Tom Herman to replace him. If Chizik and Warren were to stay, Herman could put together the best staff in the ACC. And he would inherit talent.

A huge crowd made endless excuses for Bunting forever. A huge crowd made endless excuses for Fedora right until the end. A huge crowd still wishes to pretend (because trying to highlight my ignorance again backfired on them) that I was not correct in my warnings about Mack 2.0.

You are what you tolerate. If you tolerate 6-7 with a team that was pre-season ranked Top 10, you will get more of the same. Mack did make 2 staff changes, but, as I knew, he would not fire any of his BFFs. He made Bateman (an outsider) his scapegoat just as he made Diaz (an outsider) his scapegoat at Texas, and Chizik immediately wanted Warren.

Chizik and warren might get the D running very well, and that might spark the coached on Offense. We'll see. The ACC is not the SEC, not close. The talent is on campus to win the Coastal with at least 10 Ws.
FFS, this has nothing to do with excuses. We aren't a good team. We just aren't, there is nothing wrong with knowing you suck. This isn't about accepting anything. Nobody wants to suck, we just do.

Reactions: strummingram

" You are what you tolerate "

can't put it any truer and any more succinctly than that. People bitching about people bitching are in their own way settling, and that isn't how you excel. Coaches and players deserve a chance, but that doesn't mean that in the meantime we should be accepting of poor results.

If the PTB thought we could fill the stadium every weekend by going barely bowl eligible every year, they'd be happy about that and would do nothing to change. There is no reason UNC shouldn't be a football power, and if we are ever going to be, it starts by demanding results.

I wanted MB to stay way back then but I initially thought bringing him back was a joke. Then I got happy with the immediate influence he had on recruiting and our play. Now I have to wonder if he isn't just a little too comfortable thinking he has nothing to lose. What I disliked about Fedora from day one was my perception that the team was his to play with, fans be damned. Any coach needs to know that the fans are who he is really working for. Everybody needs a fire underneath them, and the fans should make sure there is one.

" You are what you tolerate "

can't put it any truer and any more succinctly than that. People bitching about people bitching are in their own way settling, and that isn't how you excel. Coaches and players deserve a chance, but that doesn't mean that in the meantime we should be accepting of poor results.

If the PTB thought we could fill the stadium every weekend by going barely bowl eligible every year, they'd be happy about that and would do nothing to change. There is no reason UNC shouldn't be a football power, and if we are ever going to be, it starts by demanding results.

I wanted MB to stay way back then but I initially thought bringing him back was a joke. Then I got happy with the immediate influence he had on recruiting and our play. Now I have to wonder if he isn't just a little too comfortable thinking he has nothing to lose. What I disliked about Fedora from day one was my perception that the team was his to play with, fans be damned. Any coach needs to know that the fans are who he is really working for. Everybody needs a fire underneath them, and the fans should make sure there is one.
Do you think fans are going to go start picketing and protesting the sports programs at a college?

Reports are that Charlie Strong is about to become Miami LB coach.

Charlie Strong burned out something awful as HC. He is the only Longhorns HC ever to have 3 consecutive losing seasons. Then he inherited a USF team loaded with AAC level talent and by the end of Year 2 had ruined it. But Strong was a very good (not great) DC, and reports always were that he was a very good position coach.

So Strong as LB coach will make the Miami staff even better.

• Haha
Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
And it will be Mack 2.0's 4th season, not his first or even his second.

If in the 3rd year of a new HC, his assistants still fail in a big way (and that was the case for UNC in 2021), then all failures go to the HC. By Year 3, he's had more than enough time to make the program totally his.

What we saw in 2021 was exactly what I warned about when Mack was hired. He's essentially the same HC who got fired at Texas. He still thinks ands acts the same ways. His primary faith remains in his charm and his glib tongue to stockpile talent. And when he must lay blame to cover himself and his BFF assistants, he picks the assistant or two who happen to be the most outside his inner circle. Jay Bateman is the new Manny Diaz.

Could the 2022 Tar Heels finish 10-2, maybe even 11-1, with this roster and staff? Most definitely. Could it finish 7-5 or even 6-6? Sad to say, but it could.

Miami always has been the great threat to get rebuilt before UNC could get up and running as it should. And if the Canes hit their stride, UNC is going to have to overcome much more than just the Clemson monster to win the ACC.

Cristobal may be the perfect choice: Miami native and alum; coached in the area, featuring taking FIU to its first 2 bowls ever; as HC has won 2 P5 championships and a Rose Bowl; coached under Nick Saban.

Cristobal needed to assemble a very staff, and it may have done it. Steele and Strong as a pair on the D side could be great. Gattis and Frank Ponce (QB coach and Passing Game Coordinator) could be the same on offense. Ponce is a Miami native who played at FIU. he coached at several Miami area high schools before starting college coaching at FIU. Then at App St he began to shine.

Saturday October 8 could be a very big day, not just for this season, but in terms of pointing to the near future of power in the Coastal.

If in the 3rd year of a new HC, his assistants still fail in a big way (and that was the case for UNC in 2021), then all failures go to the HC. By Year 3, he's had more than enough time to make the program totally his.

What we saw in 2021 was exactly what I warned about when Mack was hired. He's essentially the same HC who got fired at Texas. He still thinks ands acts the same ways. His primary faith remains in his charm and his glib tongue to stockpile talent. And when he must lay blame to cover himself and his BFF assistants, he picks the assistant or two who happen to be the most outside his inner circle. Jay Bateman is the new Manny Diaz.

Could the 2022 Tar Heels finish 10-2, maybe even 11-1, with this roster and staff? Most definitely. Could it finish 7-5 or even 6-6? Sad to say, but it could.
Still no new material?

• Haha
Reactions: Archer2 and blazers

But seriously, let's discuss. Remember his first year back in 2019? Program won 5 games the two previous years COMBINED, Mack came in and won 7 including a bowl win. They were competitive in every game with their worst loss being by one score. Remember, if Mack doesn't come, Sam doesn't come. Year 2, 8 win season in just 12 games with their worst loss being 14 points (a game without 3 of their best players). Year 3, no doubt a disappointment. Here we are in year 4. He'll finally have all his recruits at every position, let's see what happens. We can all agree year 3 was bad, but let's not act like years 1 and 2 didn't happen.

Your infatuation with the staff is really odd. You act like Longo is way in his inner circle, when he's not. When you have a chance to bring in Chiz and Warren, you do it, especially at the expense of Bateman.

Could you say more dumb shit in 2022? Most definitely. Will you? My guess is yes.

Gattis has the pedigree with who he's been around, but I wonder how much he was actually calling plays. Hoping he never gets it rolling there because they're accumulating some talent.

Auburn fires Harsin. A group of booster rather openly opposed the hire and worked to get him fired after his first season. These are the same boosters who demanded Tony Tuberville's head when he finally lost to Bama after 6 straight wins over the Tide. They demanded to fire Malzahn, who did as well against Saban as any coach in the country.

So who will the Auburn boosters support being hired? Hugh Freeze? Urban Meyer? Should any coach who isn't just desperate to be in the SEC trust Auburn boosters?

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Yes. Career progression. Money. Recognition. Competitiveness. Wanting those things doesn't make you desperate. That's a hell of a job.

I mean, realistically, you could make the same argument about the entire SEC. There's been one HC at Alabama since Nick Saban took over. The rest of those schools, combined, there's been about 50.

Off the top of my head... Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, and Tennessee have all went through as many if not more coaches than Auburn. Arkansas is on what their fifth or sixth HC since Houston Nutt? Tennessee is on their sixth since Phil Fulmer. Think those guys were still coaching when Tuberville was at Auburn.

That's just the nature of the business. And honestly, what's the worst thing that could happen? You get fired, in which case you land on your feet somewhere else, presumably no worse than you were to begin with.

The real challenge for Auburn is going to be getting someone good, when they're already comfortable, or seen some success which I'm sure is what they'd like. The David Shaw, Pat Fitzgerald, Kyle Whittingham, Mike Gundy types. Dabo. I feel like Hugh Freeze is comfortable at Liberty. He's got it made.

Last edited:
Yes. Career progression. Money. Recognition. Competitiveness. Wanting those things doesn't make you desperate. That's a hell of a job.

I mean, realistically, you could make the same argument about the entire SEC. There's been one HC at Alabama since Nick Saban took over. The rest of those schools, combined, there's been about 50.

Off the top of my head... Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, and Tennessee have all went through as many if not more coaches than Auburn. Arkansas is on what their fifth or sixth HC since Houston Nutt? Tennessee is on their sixth since Phil Fulmer. Think those guys were still coaching when Tuberville was at Auburn.

That's just the nature of the business. And honestly, what's the worst thing that could happen? You get fired, in which case you land on your feet somewhere else, presumably no worse than you were to begin with.

The real challenge for Auburn is going to be getting someone good, when they're already comfortable, or seen some success which I'm sure is what they'd like. The David Shaw, Pat Fitzgerald, Kyle Whittingham, Mike Gundy types. Dabo. I feel like Hugh Freeze is comfortable at Liberty. He's got it made.
Firing coaches who do not win, say above .500, is one thing. Firing coaches who actually are winning better than almost anyone but Saban is another thing entirely. The latter is Auburn. Tommy Tuberville did what not even Shug Jordan could dream to do, and as soon as Tuberville lost once to Bama, Auburn boosters demanded he be fired.

That's a very far cry from Arkansas firing Bielema because he had a losing record across 5 years or firing Chad Morris because he was 14 games under .500.

Harsin was a very risky pick because of his background, but Auburn boosters all but made certain that he would fail there. Back to before Shug Jordan arrived, Auburn boosters have been in a permanent war with everyone - including the administration and all ADs - over who rules the football program.

The new Auburn AD, who was just hired from Miss St, now must replace Harsin in a way that makes the boosters very happy, or else those boosters will war against him as well as the HC he hires.

Firing coaches who do not win, say above .500, is one thing. Firing coaches who actually are winning better than almost anyone but Saban is another thing entirely. The latter is Auburn. Tommy Tuberville did what not even Shug Jordan could dream to do, and as soon as Tuberville lost once to Bama, Auburn boosters demanded he be fired.

That's a very far cry from Arkansas firing Bielema because he had a losing record across 5 years or firing Chad Morris because he was 14 games under .500.

Harsin was a very risky pick because of his background, but Auburn boosters all but made certain that he would fail there. Back to before Shug Jordan arrived, Auburn boosters have been in a permanent war with everyone - including the administration and all ADs - over who rules the football program.

The new Auburn AD, who was just hired from Miss St, now must replace Harsin in a way that makes the boosters very happy, or else those boosters will war against him as well as the HC he hires.
I think he was a good coach. But I think he was perceived as a guy that could never really get them over the hump. Which wasn't unreasonable imo given what they had at the time. I mean, they won the title, two years (?) after he left or was fired. He had the one really good season, but if memory serves that was his only SEC championship. You had the year with jetgate where they weren't very good and he almost got fired. Then there were some bad losses that last season, wasn't just Alabama.

There's probably some truth to boosters undermining the coaches. Tuberville was old school, though, and he didn't exactly get along with people that didn't see things his way. I looked back, they went through 5 offensive coordinators in his 10 seasons at Auburn. So, that was probably part of the problem too.

Last edited:
not sure how real this is, but a guy connected with college and pro football(former scout) said on the radio today that deion will be in play at auburn.

for me, i hope it’s true because f auburn.

• Haha
not sure how real this is, but a guy connected with college and pro football(former scout) said on the radio today that deion will be in play at auburn.

for me, i hope it’s true because f auburn.
The SWAC and MEAC are such weak 1AA (FCS) conferences that their champs almost never go to the playoffs because they would lose in the 1st round every year. So winning at Jackson State is not much of a resume. If Sanders wants to be a fully prepared Major conference HC, he needs to step up, at least to a G5 HC or P5 coordinator.

SEC Shorts has Auburn going to Coach Hiring School

If Auburn hires Sanders, SEC Shorts could have Auburn going back to Coach Hiring Class and being warned about confusing once great players with top level coaches.

USF fired HC Jeff Scott. When Clemson's offense worked best, Scott was co-OC with Tony Elliott. As Clemson's offense dipped without Scott while Elliott was still there, and as UVA's offense has tanked with Elliott as HC, perhaps the more important of the great OC pair was Scott.

I assume that ACC HCs, and perhaps SEC HCs, will consider that should they need a new OC.

USF fired HC Jeff Scott. When Clemson's offense worked best, Scott was co-OC with Tony Elliott. As Clemson's offense dipped without Scott while Elliott was still there, and as UVA's offense has tanked with Elliott as HC, perhaps the more important of the great OC pair was Scott.

I assume that ACC HCs, and perhaps SEC HCs, will consider that should they need a new OC.
Who's gonna hire Gattis after he gets fired due to the Miami O regressing under him? I know many thought it was a BIG hire. And I mean, BIG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT