ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Hubert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bet too many chips that Wes Miller comes if Davis falters.

My biggest concern about Davis is the way he sounds after these demoralizing losses. I just don't know if he's equipped to do this job. It's difficult to even know. I'm about as far from an expert on knowing what makes a good coach. It is also disconcerting when fans bail on the guy after EVERY loss!
My biggest concern about him is how he sounds, period. He says things like Caleb Love is the best guard in the country, Dawson Garcia is one of the best perimeter defending bigs in the country, Dunn and Styles will be among the best to ever play here, and on and on. It's delusional. I literally wonder if something is wrong with this guy. He's in WAY over his head.

I don’t understand why people think this team has a lot of talent ?
2 5-star recruits
4 McDonald's All Americans
10 top 100 recruits
The top 10 players in the rotation are all experienced college players

By any measurement UNC has the talent to be ranked in the top 15, especially with the huge improvement to 3pt shooting overall.

The fact we sit unranked with zero wins over NCAA Tourney teams, been blown out 3 times, doing the same thing play after play, is an indictment on the coaching staff.

My biggest concern about him is how he sounds, period. He says things like Caleb Love is the best guard in the country, Dawson Garcia is one of the best perimeter defending bigs in the country, Dunn and Styles will be among the best to ever play here, and on and on. It's delusional. I literally wonder if something is wrong with this guy. He's in WAY over his head.
- we're going to switch defenses
- I'm gonna play the bench more
- I have no idea what happened tonight
- Ant Harris is unavailable

Reactions: NoseButt
One point I will disagree with you is the top 10 talent by any measure. We were not close to any top 10 ranking across the board preseason. I agree we can get there, but I can't find a single measure let alone almost any that felt that coming into this year with this squad.

i’m talking about the metrics that are used for players talent coming in. mickey d’s, 5 stars, 4 stars, etc. you can argue we have some missing pieces to pull it all together and fit. yes. but we have talent. arguably a lot more than a lot of teams that are doing much better than us.

2 5-star recruits
10 top 100 recruits

By any measurement UNC has the talent to be ranked in the top 15, especially with the huge improvement to 3pt shooting overall.

The fact we sit unranked with zero wins over NCAA Tourney teams, been blown out 3 times, doing the same thing play after play, is an indictment on the coaching staff.
And no point guard to lead them

- we're going to switch defenses
- I'm gonna play the bench more
- I have no idea what happened tonight
- Ant Harris is unavailable
He does say some absolutely outlandish things. When he said there is a place in the NBA for leaky black and that styles and Dunn would be two of the best to ever play here he pretty much lost me from that point in believing anything he says about a player.

i’m talking about the metrics that are used for players talent coming in. mickey d’s, 5 stars, 4 stars, etc. you can argue we have some missing pieces to pull it all together and fit. yes. but we have talent. arguably a lot more than a lot of teams that are doing much better than us.

kerwin above did a much better job of highlighting what we have. the excuses have to stop. hubert has been very bad. as others have said, what’s most alarming is the over the top coach speak that he says over and over and over again in pressers. it’s nauseating and it’s bullshit. if he believes half the shit he says then he should quit. because if you hear him talk, we have the best scoring guard in the country-love, best big in the country/acc player of the year-bacot, best shooting big in the country-manek, best perimeter big defender in the country-garcia, 2 freshman who will be among the best to ever play here yet he doesn’t play them, leaky is an nba player, etc. these are things he has said. if he believes them to be true, he should be fired because no coach with that much fire power would have 5 losses and still blown out by every good team we play. i think he’d agree. it’s embarrassing. it’s pathetic. it’s so elementary. it’s cheesy. it’s cliche. he literally is in over his head and just recites the stupid hollywood coach speak you see in all the disney movies. it’s a complete sham.

Fair enough, I'm talking about everybody who does this for a living nationally. Um, nah, that is not what they saw. Top 10 squad was nowhere to be found.

I can understand that. You don't see the team the way he does. NONE OF US do! If he believes they're the best players in the nation, I don't want to change his mind. A lot of the winning spirit comes from the BELIEF in something.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Fair enough, I'm talking about everybody who does this for a living nationally. Um, nah, that is not what they saw. Top 10 squad was nowhere to be found.

i don’t disagree about top 10 ranking as a team. strictly talking about talent. a lack of overall talent can’t be an excuse for hubert. all the other excuses about his lack of experience as a HC, etc are plenty.

I better not see anyone jump back on the Hubert bandwagon and defend him if they win against Wake this weekend!! Let’s get a big time hire ASAP please!!!

2 5-star recruits
10 top 100 recruits

Sometimes experience is more valuable than high school rankings.. I mean Garcia certainly doesn’t play like a 5 star … do you think leaky still deserves to be top 100? Again without a point guard this team is like a Ferrari with no engine cause it ain’t going anywhere

I can understand that. You don't see the team the way he does. NONE OF US do! If he believes they're the best players in the nation, I don't want to change his mind. A lot of the winning spirit comes from the BELIEF in something.
Ummm. OK. If he believes they're the best players in the nation, he needs to be removed and sent to intensive counseling. I've never heard any coach talk the way he does. I wonder if he thanked Larranaga for tonight's azz kicking??

Reactions: Tarheels39
Ummm. OK. If he believes they're the best players in the nation, he needs to be removed and sent to intensive counseling. I've never heard any coach talk the way he does. I wonder if he thanked Larranaga for tonight's azz kicking??

that’s what makes this so much worse. the made for disney coach speak rinse and repeat. it actually makes him look worse. like this poor guy is in over his head and he just continues to recite all the great one liners from hoosiers, remember the titans, etc. it’s honestly sad.

Reactions: Old_School59
Just because you don't believe it, or maybe I don't believe it... that's got nothing to do with him. He knows those players better than all of us combined.

People who choose to pull-the-plug on Hubert, NOW, are going to be miserable people for a long time. He's not going anywhere for a few years, unless he resigns.

I'm rooting for Wes at Cincinnati, but he is having the same start. So to the earlier question, who was your hire to flip the switch back to top 5 yearly UNC in the 1st 20 games again?

Wes is going to do fine, had a great early win and then has bad loses to Monmouth, Tulane, and the ilk, NIT level at the moment Rough spot he is in right now to right the ship and get some consistency, under performing most would say. I believe he will be just fine, and I also like Hubert to be here a LONG time doing the same.

Reactions: Psychward4
I don’t understand why people think this team has a lot of talent ? At times they shoot the ball well but tonight they shoot 33%. I don’t see many nba players on this team.. maybe love but I don’t know what position he plays cause he’s not a point guard and no where close to cole or coby.. Bacot is solid but plays under the rim for the most part.. Manek shoots 3’s but that’s about it.. Garcia is softer than charmin and can’t do anything in the paint.. no need to go any further
Maybe we should be looking at this differently.

Pomeroy still shows us tying (with Miami) for 2nd in the ACC.

If that's how it plays out, that's pretty impressive for a first year coach and a team with no real PG and maybe no NBA-level talent.

Tonight's game was awful. But Larranaga has made better, more experienced coaches look bad before, including Roy and K.

Just because you don't believe it, or maybe I don't believe it... that's got nothing to do with him. He knows those players better than all of us combined.

People who choose to pull-the-plug on Hubert, NOW, are going to be miserable people for a long time. He's not going anywhere for a few years, unless he resigns.
Doesn't seem to me that he knows them very well at all. The guy can't coach. It's obvious.

Maybe we should be looking at this differently.

Pomeroy still shows us tying (with Miami) for 2nd in the ACC.

If that's how it plays out, that's pretty impressive for a first year coach and a team with no real PG and maybe no NBA-level talent.

Tonight's game was awful. But Larranaga has made better, more experienced coaches look bad before, including Roy and K.
It's not about tonight. This is the THIRD TIME the team has quit on him in half of a season. That shouldn't happen. He can't motivate and he can't coach. He can talk. It's crazy talk, but he can talk. That's it. He sucks.

How can anyone take up for Hubert at this point or compare him to Wes Miller? Wes Miller was not ready for this job either and it’s showing at Cincinnati. As I’ve said before, if we have to hire inside the family, our future is very bad. Hubert nor Wes deserve big time jobs yet. We need a big name coach here ASAP. Hubert has had 3 blowout losses with no quality wins. Michigan is terrible so don’t use them.

How can anyone take up for Hubert at this point or compare him to Wes Miller? Wes Miller was not ready for this job either and it’s showing at Cincinnati. As I’ve said before, if we have to hire inside the family, our future is very bad. Hubert nor Wes deserve big time jobs yet. We need a big name coach here ASAP. Hubert has had 3 blowout losses with no quality wins. Michigan is terrible so don’t use them.
So who was interested ? Few wasn't coming, the NBA names people called damn sure weren't coming . Just curious who was your guy? I am 100 with Hubert for the record.

Almost any coach would leave to come to UNC. We have the money to buyout any contract.
So . . . who should we have gotten?

It seems pretty clear that the Hubert hire was Roy's call. They could have overridden his choice, but they didn't want to.

Sure, we were all hoping for a home run filled season. But this season hasn't been awful, on balance. Arguably a little better than last year - not that that's high praise.

Because of COVID, it took us until Feb 2 to play our 17th game last year. That game was also a road loss, to Clemson. It left us at 11-6, vs our current 12-5 record. Then again, we have played more creampuffs this season. So maybe not a little better than last year.

Nevertheless, I vote to give Hubert more time. Let's see how he turns out. Meanwhile, that vote and $6 will get me coffee at Starbucks.

So who was interested ? Few wasn't coming, the NBA names people called damn sure weren't coming . Just curious who was your guy? I am 100 with Hubert for the record.
Stay with the loser then. Tell me what good he’s done??? This is CAROLINA!! Not a bottom feeder school. We should be in the top 10 every season. There is plenty of coaches that would come if they were offered. Unfortunately nobody any good was offered because they weren’t “family”.

It seems pretty clear that the Hubert hire was Roy's call. They could have overridden his choice, but they didn't want to.

Sure, we were all hoping for a home run filled season. But this season hasn't been awful, on balance. Arguably a little better than last year - not that that's high praise.

Because of COVID, it took us until Feb 2 to play our 17th game last year. That game was also a road loss, to Clemson. It left us at 11-6, vs our current 12-5 record. Then again, we have played more creampuffs this season. So maybe not a little better than last year.

Nevertheless, I vote to give Hubert more time. Let's see how he turns out. Meanwhile, that vote and $6 will get me coffee at Starbucks.
Do you think we are winning recruits getting blowout by every tournament projected team we play? This is Carolina!!!! No need to defend or give someone time. Calipari lost 3 games his first season. We should be doing the same. We should be expecting national titles, instead of are hoping we can even make the tournament. Pathetic!

Probably Nate Oats from Alabama. Seems like most people consider him to be a relatively young and upcoming star. Blew up making Buffalo successful, then hired at Alabama recently. 2 x MAC coach of the year. SEC coach of the year last season. Sounds like he would have jumped at the chance to coach here. Don't think our A.D. ever called him.

If he fails the way Hubert is currently failing, then so be it. You fire him before his contract ends and move on to the next qualified candidates. At least you attempted to put the program in the hands of someone who has earned the respect of many many people due to his coaching acumen.

We chose a guy with no head coaching experience. No coaching resume to examine. Just a bunch of losses coaching the JV team against a random schedule of Prep Schools. We chose him solely because he played here and because everyone loves him, and now we are left hoping it works out solely because the divorce may be the most painful our Fandom has ever experienced.

Idk but in cases where you are the top of the top you don't settle for a coach, you go out and you pick your coach! There has never been anything more ridiculous than UNC picking a coach based on what the former coach wanted! Dook has made the same mistake, and they are going to suffer the same fate!

No other collage sport does this, college football when a coach leaves or retires they try and find the best of the best to fill those shoes.

Do you think Alabama is going to hire a guy with no experience when Saban retires? No! No one in their right mind would do that but we did and it's going to bite us.

This would be easier to swallow if we felt like we could trust the guy in charge because he has some experience, but everything he does is new because he hasn't ever done it before!

Do you think Alabama is going to hire a guy with no experience when Saban retires? No! No one in their right mind would do that but we did and it's going to bite us.
I think they will let Saban pick his successor. I also think Saban will pick someone based on their resume instead of his feelings.

This is to be expected after a loss. Fanbases like UNC's always reacts after losses. We have big swings in "fanatic" responses after wins and losses, but it gets ugly after losses. You get that when you have high expectations.

Hubert was not my choice and I was vocal I thought it was the wrong hire. He's also our coach and I hope he proves me wrong. He's an excellent person and the type of character you want leading these young men. That doesn't mean he's the best coach, but hopefully that improves. This is his first HC job and he's being forced to learn on the job.

In some respects, he's ahead of where I thought he would be (record wise), but how he's lost to teams likes TENN, UK and Miami is what stands out. In those games the team was not prepared and just absolutely got hammered. They did compete against Purdue, Purdue is just better.

No one should be happy with losses like this, the players and coaches included. I doubt they are. The decision was made to hire Hubert and I expect he gets at least 3 years to show something. The talent will be less next year, and the ACC is down this year. We will see where it goes.

I truly hope he proves me wrong from my reaction to the hire....I'm sitting here waiting to eat crow.

I agree that Hubert may be a great guy and everyone may love him.. that doesn’t mean he needs to be the head coach at UNC. I always thought Roy’s assistants were weak anyways which is why consistent recruiting had went downhill. A lot of people blame the investigation stuff but I honestly don’t think that was as big as some people think. Usually the assistant coaches can pull in players better than the head coach. Even though Kentucky’s recruiting was always good, it was always better with Orlando Antigua. I never liked Hubert or our assistants and still don’t. I think it’s a major issue from recruiting, to coaching and winning games.

If anyone wants Hubert here and want to defend him, you better pray that he somehow can bring in some top notch assistants to help guide him. But since we have to hire “family”, that leaves us with no options.

I think they will let Saban pick his successor. I also think Saban will pick someone based on their resume instead of his feelings.
They may let him make suggestions but I agree he won't be hiring someone out of a booth to be groomed!

Everytime I think about the stupid shit we did with this hire I can't help but to laugh!

Reactions: Old_School59
I can promise you @strummingram isn't a troll. Definitely a little weird and has completely opposite takes for football (he wants to fire coaches a year before they are hired) but not a troll.

Right. I pretty much never agree with strum on anything, as you well know. But he's earned his stripes here. Meanwhile some rando, who's been poasting here for all of about 6 weeks and doesn't really do much other than piss off the regulars, wants to call him a troll. lol. Message boards are serious bidness.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT