ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Hubert

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may let him make suggestions but I agree he won't be hiring someone out of a booth to be groomed!

Everytime I think about the stupid shit we did with this hire I can't help but to laugh!
He was hired because he's a nice guy, he played at UNC, and because Roy likes him. There was no legitimate reason to hire the guy as the head coach at UNC.........NONE. He was NOT qualified for this job. If Hubert wanted the UNC job, he should have told Roy that, gone to another school, established himself as a head coach, then came back. He didn't do that. He served as a yes man for 9 years and took full advantage of a friendship with Roy Williams, and the admin fell for it hook, line, and sinker. It pisses me off, quite frankly. I hate that too, because I like Hubert Davis, I really do.

Jordan was a great player, but he pretty much sucks at all things pertaining to the other aspects of basketball, so I really don't care what he says about it.
A full commitment is what I'm thinking of. You wouldn't get this from any other guy. MJ just wants to tell you how he’s feeling. Gotta make you understand.

Jordan hardly counts as an alumni--he rarely associates with the program--has not been a continuous ambassador for us

People need to stop combining playing ability with coaching or management. The skill sets arent overlapping. (which we can digress into the hiring policies associated with this as well cough nfl)

Several sides here….

1) this feels like failing season year 3… we have not had a Carolina season in 3 years.
So that makes this season feel worse than if it was this season is a down year/rebuild year. Only this year is on Hubert tho.
2) If Roy couldn’t get this group (minus the transfers) to buy in and play hard, it is hard for me to fully judge Hubert till he gets more of “his guys” in place in a year or two.
…but this is scary to wait for because of point number one. But this group has clearly shown that they are missing the “dog” factor.
3) we need a point guard, and simply don’t have one on the roster. Honestly, this is one of the most crucial factors to our play. The games when we have looked amazing, our combo guards played as point guards first.
This is, in my humble opinion one of the main reasons for 1 & 2. We haven’t had a true point guard since Coby, and haven’t had a good team since Coby. Without a point guard getting everyone involved on O and captaining the defense we look lost.

Give coach Davis a chance please!! He deserves a learning curve and a chance to get his recruits on campus and playing just like his predecessors.
he's been at carolina most of his adult life, why does his learning curve start now? and as far as getting his own recruits didn't he have a say in recruiting these players? at most schools the assistant coaches do the bulk of recruiting. hubert will get plenty of time -- at least five or six years -- but i'm not feeling optimistic.

There are about a half dozen posters on this board, some very recent additions to the board and IMO suspect as to their loyalty, who are the direct descendants of the people who burned Dean Smith in effigy in his first year
It was actually in Dean's 4th season when that happened. Thankfully the PTB gave him the time that no one wants to give Hubert today.

I think he deserves 3 years at a minimum. Hell Doherty got 3 years but probably would've had a longer leash if he wasn't so overbearing and players were threatening to leave back when you didn't have the easy escape (aka portal).

Reactions: DSouthr and DaSheed
In defense of Hubert, one of the things he says is important to him with regards to who he recruits, is that he wants guys that want to be here ... not guys who are using UNC as a stopover on their way to the pros. Roy brought in guys that were using UNC as a quick stop on their way to the pros ... hell, even Bacot and Love thought they were gonna be one-an-done. So I'm not really saying that Hubert's recruits will bring us back to being a force in college bball, but I feel like he does deserve the chance to establish his own team identity with guys that he hand-picked. Go Heels !!!

They did compete against Purdue
That was a hard loss to take because we were so hopeful and everything was going pretty well. But it wasn't an embarrassing loss. We fought hard and made it close, and Purdue is, after all a very good team.

Our other losses, not so much - where we either weren't competitive (Tennessee, Kentucky and Miami) or the opposition wasn't that challenging (Notre Dame and Miami).

That said, it's still just 5 losses and it's still a team with a new coach and a bunch of new players.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Jordan hardly counts as an alumni--he rarely associates with the program--has not been a continuous ambassador for us
16-D8-B40-A-82-D5-4476-A1-EE-26-A28-E666670.gif

In defense of Hubert, one of the things he says is important to him with regards to who he recruits, is that he wants guys that want to be here ... not guys who are using UNC as a stopover on their way to the pros. Roy brought in guys that were using UNC as a quick stop on their way to the pros ... hell, even Bacot and Love thought they were gonna be one-an-done. So I'm not really saying that Hubert's recruits will bring us back to being a force in college bball, but I feel like he does deserve the chance to establish his own team identity with guys that he hand-picked. Go Heels !!!
Good point. We'd like to think we can compete for top of the ACC and even championships with kids who want to be here. But will that be true? I guess we'll find out. If we give Hubert enough time.

Other thoughts...

With Roy, we all felt pretty confident that most of his recruits would be really good in 3 years, give or take. He got very good players, but they were often players who weren't really ready. And he coached them up.

Then the OAD era hit. Some of Roy's recruits didn't stick around long enough. And some of the kids who might have come to UNC to get 2 or 3 years of coaching from a HOF coach chose schools that promised to move them to the next level more quickly.

And now the transfer era is upon us.

So basically we have 3 problems:
1. We don't know if it's also true with Hubert that the recruits he gets will be really good in a few years. Time will tell.​
2. Even if Hubert has the chops to produce 2AD and 3AD kids, can he get those talented kids who aren't ready yet, like Roy used to do?​
3. And finally, even if Hubert can coach up kids in a few years, and even if he can sign talented-but-not-quite-ready kids, will they stick around long enough - or will they transfer if they or their parents/handlers don't think they are getting enough PT or aren't being used as they should?​

The best news is that Hubert seems to have the personality to handle the changes brought by OAD and the portal. These changes clearly took their toll on Roy. If Hubert can be resilient, he has a good shot at surviving.

The other good news is that Hubert acquitted himself nicely in the first transfer rodeo. But I suspect part of that was the UNC name. So he will have to protect that name by winning this year. Plus, other coaches will have figured the portal out by the next round. So the plums might not drop so easily to hand.

People are saying 3 years. First of all, why? CBB isn't a 3-year deal any more. Secondly, if things don't change drastically, do you realize what poor shape the program will be in in 3 more years? Is Hubert gonna grow a set? Because if he isn't, he might as well resign right now. Talking about how great guys are when they clearly are not is one of the strangest things I've ever seen a coach do. It serves no purpose whatsoever. It seems Hubert wants everybody to like him, first and foremost. There aren't many successful people in this world whom everybody likes, I'll guarantee you that.

Reactions: Old_School59
I'm rooting for Wes at Cincinnati, but he is having the same start. So to the earlier question, who was your hire to flip the switch back to top 5 yearly UNC in the 1st 20 games again?

Wes is going to do fine, had a great early win and then has bad loses to Monmouth, Tulane, and the ilk, NIT level at the moment Rough spot he is in right now to right the ship and get some consistency, under performing most would say. I believe he will be just fine, and I also like Hubert to be here a LONG time doing the same.
As I have shared many times, my preferred choice was King Rice, I am still a strong believer in Hubert, I believe he just has an odd mix of players that just do not work together as well as their talent levels would seem to indicate. You have heard in the last few days Hubert talk about this, you heard Switzer talk about it on the football side, the players have to take up from where the coaching staff leaves off in large part due to how restricted NCAA coaches are with how much time they get to coach their players. The term is player led and we on this basketball team are not showing signs of being player led just as to many key football positions did not this season.

A lot of that "player led team" thing if not all has to come from veteran players, the vets show the younger guys what they have to do, like Marcus showed Joel for example. I don't see the signs of player leadership, being a team leader is not about leading us in shot attempts and it seems we have guys that define it as I need to get the shots up. Every time this team gets punched in the mouth they revert back to what they did early as freshmen. That means they are not believing what is being taught, they are not "bought in" they are more rented in. It is the player leaders that have to get everyone bought in, they are around their mates much more than the coaches are able to be.

Last season, I know for a fact that we had some players that to say it nicely, felt they knew more than the coaching staff did and frankly, I do not believe Roy really knew this because most of the problem then was from starters, not guys coming off the bench. I believe we are the second most talented team in the ACC, that we absolutely have a level of talent to it not be a shock for them to be in the final 4. But as a team, yeah, well as a team we are what we have played like, less than UNC standards.

Hubert needs to call one on one meetings with every player on this team, based on film ask did I teach you to do this, did anyone at UNC teach you this, NO, then why are you still doing it in a way you have not been taught?

Probably Nate Oats from Alabama. Seems like most people consider him to be a relatively young and upcoming star. Blew up making Buffalo successful, then hired at Alabama recently. 2 x MAC coach of the year. SEC coach of the year last season. Sounds like he would have jumped at the chance to coach here. Don't think our A.D. ever called him.

If he fails the way Hubert is currently failing, then so be it. You fire him before his contract ends and move on to the next qualified candidates. At least you attempted to put the program in the hands of someone who has earned the respect of many many people due to his coaching acumen.

We chose a guy with no head coaching experience. No coaching resume to examine. Just a bunch of losses coaching the JV team against a random schedule of Prep Schools. We chose him solely because he played here and because everyone loves him, and now we are left hoping it works out solely because the divorce may be the most painful our Fandom has ever experienced.
Nate Oats? Seriously, the guy that tells his players not to shoot anything but treys and flushes, that is the guy you wanted to be our head coach? Hard for me to express how much I disagree with that Nate oats option. BTW, Arizona took a guy that had no head coaching experience and he has done pretty well so it can be done by an assistant coach that had no prior head coaching experience in his resume. Hey, want another example, there was this guy from Kansas named Dean, know about him?

Is it the pulse of fans and writers as to whom is considered an up and comer that you believe in? If so then you may be one of the very few that would still want Shaka Smart to be our head coach?

One of the hardest things to do as a coach is to take over a program for a retiring hall of fame head coach because you will be held to the same standard as that hall of famer yet not given the leeway the hall of famer had. Fans turn on you in an instant, look how many have turned on Hubert from the last 2 weeks of solid play and in 1 night the let's fire Hubert chants are with us again? This fan base would have turned on Wes just as quickly and you know that.

Reactions: tarwhiz and Archer2
Your chicken sht post sucks.
explain how they suck? I wouldn't be here if we hadn't got blown out 3 times already by midseason. Roy may not have had any luck with these guys either but I guarantee you he NEVER got embarrassed this bad 3 times before mid season. If I recall, roy had a lot of close games that could have went either way the last 2 years.

"In defense of Hubert, one of the things he says is important to him with regards to who he recruits, is that he wants guys that want to be here ... not guys who are using UNC as a stopover on their way to the pros. Roy brought in guys that were using UNC as a quick stop on their way to the pros"

The above got me thinking in a bit of a different direction. Hubert since taking over has told any and everyone that would listen that he wanted guys that wanted to be at UNC, how much he wants them to have that same UNC experience that he and his staff enjoyed as players.

But look at the players, Bacot came in as a freshman thinking he could be a one and doner, his head was more on the NBA than UNC. How can he really want to be at UNC having not only looked to skip to the NBA after last season but as well not denying that he expects to be in the next NBA draft, hard to argue that UNC is where his head is.

Love, came in as a balleyhood 5 star, was absolutely thinking he would be 1 & Done yet the NBA was not interested, he fullyt expects to be in the next draft as well, just as with Bacot, you have to ask is his head in being in the next NBA draft or playing for UNC as his current dream?

Garcia, like Bacot, wanted to be in the last draft but didn't see the NBA telling him they wanted him, he settled to come to UNC but is that where his head really is?

I can't help but question how passionate these guys are for UNC, I suggest their NBA passion is more important that passion for UNC. Hubert is preaching the passion to be at UNC but if these guys don't really want to be at UNC, would rather be some place else (the NBA) then I don't think Hubert is going to be able to convince them to have the same UNC passion he has. It is like being in church Sunday morning and hoping the preacher is not long winded so you do not have to miss your NFL kick off, you are not listening to the preacher if you are watch watching but you still tell him how great that sermon was as you leave and what you are praying is you catch mostly green lights so you can be in front of the tube by 1pm. Promise ya, that preacher wants you more in to Jesus than the NFL, Hubert needs his kids more in to UNC than the NBA, you can not have 1 foot in and 1 foot out of the UNC door.

Should we be surprised that a man with 16 games experience got out-coached by a 40 year veteran with nearly 700 wins? I'm not saying Hubert is the right guy, but c'mon, we have to give him a chance to learn and grow. Not to mention that he's stuck with some guys that don't appear to give a shit the minute they face some adversity.
i was gonna craft a response but then I saw this gem and it’s better than anything I could have writte:
If you're trying to ride the tour de france with training wheels, you probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

UNC should be your last job, not your first.

Reactions: Bruce Young
i was gonna craft a response but then I saw this gem and it’s better than anything I could have writte:
then I hope you took the time to read my reply...

While I agree, unfortunately that's not the decision the PTB (and Roy) made for us fans. So, at this point I hope Hubert learns and grows really quickly. If not, this will probably be not only his FIRST job, but his LAST as well.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
at what point do folks realize that yes, i think hubert deserves at least 2-3 years. but not because it gives him time to bring in his own players. because he was our leader recruiter the last handful of years so many of these kids are kids that he was instrumental in bringing here. even he has said so himself. so stop using that as a reason to give him at least 3 years. right or wrong, hes learning on the fly and we suck because of it. i hope he figures this shit out sometime during his first 2 years or that third year will simply be hell on him and us until we find a replacement. his over the top coach speak has to stop. he’s spent many a night telling us we have the best (fill in the blank) in the country but yet we’ve taken it in the chin vs every good team we’ve played thus far. it’s not good guys. not good at all.

and the real question is what is going on with May and Ant Harris. i worry that we have a dumpster fire brewing behind the scenes.

This is an extremely bad take on a board that has a long history of bad takes. Maybe you just live under a rock.

Or just live in Chapel Hill and go to most of the games. And have seen Grant Hill walk around RJ Barrett on Duke's campus and hang out at the Washington Duke.

It is what it is. He is ridiculously successful and busy. He isnt going to come glad hand.

Or just live in Chapel Hill and go to most of the games. And have seen Grant Hill walk around RJ Barrett on Duke's campus and hang out at the Washington Duke.

It is what it is. He is ridiculously successful and busy. He isnt going to come glad hand.
Grant Hill walks around RJ Barrett? Are they practicing for a dance competition or is that just something Grant and RJ do on a frequent basis?

Do you think we are winning recruits getting blowout by every tournament projected team we play? This is Carolina!!!! No need to defend or give someone time. Calipari lost 3 games his first season. We should be doing the same. We should be expecting national titles, instead of are hoping we can even make the tournament. Pathetic!
Calipari also had at least 5 nba players on that team including Wall, Cousins & Bledsoe so it’s a bad comparison.. but you seem to know an a lot about Kentucky

So MJ doesn't support UNC because he doesn't walk around campus? MJ doesn't really have the luxury of just being able to walk around. You just can't do that at his level of fame. And if that's your measuring stick, then most former players don't support the program.

I mean didn’t this team just go something like 11-18 a couple years ago w/ Roy Williams as the HC? Some of you guys need to take a step back. Hubert inherited a UNC program that was in a bit of a downward spiral. Let the man get a couple of his recruiting classes, which look to be pretty good by they way, and a couple years coaching under his belt before you start calling to can the man.

I mean didn’t this team just go something like 11-18 a couple years ago w/ Roy Williams as the HC? Some of you guys need to take a step back. Hubert inherited a UNC program that was in a bit of a downward spiral. Let the man get a couple of his recruiting classes, which look to be pretty good by they way, and a couple years coaching under his belt before you start calling to can the man.
No, this team is different than that Roy team. You could compare them to last year's team, but there are still some big differences.

No, this team is different than that Roy team. You could compare them to last year's team, but there are still some big differences.
They are certainly different, but that team that went 11–18 had a couple NBA guys on it if I’m not mistaken. If this team was losing to lesser opponents I could see calling for his job. Also, I’m not sure Garcia is everything we as a fanbase thought he was. That certainly hasn’t helped the matter. I was down on the hire from the get, but some guys here are talking like this team is 5-12, not 12-5.

Reactions: dtodd4475
They are certainly different, but that team that went 11–18 had a couple NBA guys on it if I’m not mistaken. If this team was losing to lesser opponents I could see calling for his job. Also, I’m not sure Garcia is everything we as a fanbase thought he was. That certainly hasn’t helped the matter. I was down on the hire from the get, but some guys here are talking like this team is 5-12, not 12-5.
I'm not calling for his head, but you can't look at that record in a vacuum. You have to look at who the wins came against and how you played in the losses.

I'm not calling for his head, but you can't look at that record in a vacuum. You have to look at who the wins came against and how you played in the losses.
You're not, but just look at the title of the thread.

Calipari also had at least 5 nba players on that team including Wall, Cousins & Bledsoe so it’s a bad comparison.. but you seem to know an a lot about Kentucky
Not to mention, he's referring to slimy's first season at Kentucky.... after slimy had been coaching for over 15 years! Cal's first season at UMass he went 10-18.

Arizona has a 1st year coach and exceeding expectations. Not sure of the talent comparison between their team and ours though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT