ADVERTISEMENT

Garrison Brooks...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
... his release was denied by MSU, even for out-of-conference. NCAA rejected his appeal (expected nothing less).
Expected to enroll in a prep school.
#MSU #douchebaggery

Maybe next year?...

Where you getting this info? They are hiring a lawyer to fight!

#1) How can the school deny his release?

#2) Nothing the NCAA does surprises me.
Well, the NLI is binding so they can. Generally if there's a change in regime or some extenuating circumstance the school will relent, or at least allow him to go out of conference. The school is within their rights I suppose, but given his family situation it's not the right thing to do.

Well, the NLI is binding so they can. Generally if there's a change in regime or some extenuating circumstance the school will relent, or at least allow him to go out of conference.

They sure can, and that's why it's best to sign a "grant in aid". It's non-binding and the athlete can walk away from it without penalty.

I'm not an expert on this, but why should MSU release him exactly? There's no coaching change or NCAA penalty pending. If guys can get out of a LOI just because their feelings change, there's not much reason to have LOI's in the first place. Why should he not have to sit out a year to transfer?

Even reading his mom's letter, while I sympathize, there is no claim of anything that would seem to indicate Garrison didn't sign the letter fairly.

Let's imagine this goes through and he gets a release. Then next week Jalek Felton says he really wants to play at Kentucky and wants out of his LOI. Well, what is the argument against it?

The only thing I possibly see is that his dad is an assistant coach there, and the environment is too toxic. Without knowing more about the situation I have no idea. But I understand Miss State's attempt to fight releasing him, and I think it's a very dangerous precedent to let kids out of the LOI just because they changed their mind. He should not have signed the LOI in the first place if he wasn't sure.

Mississippi State fans seem to think this kid really wants to go to Auburn, or at least that is what his mother wants. They are saying that was their reason in asking for this release. Of course the kid and his mother both already live in Auburn

just got his release
Here's a little update from the Auburn perspective:

MSU gave him an unconditional release, meaning Auburn is back in play. They already have Okeke coming in who is a Hybrid-4 (and a beast), and are looking at a transfer Big. Still, they have room since Lang (yeah, the son of the former dookie) is transferring out.

Will Pearl pursue Garrison? Dunno, but the feeling around Auburn is that if UNC does offer again, AU may still be suckin' hind tit, as UNC was his dream school. Mom wanted him at AU, but she was also fine with Chapel Hill. Anyway, I guess we'll see what Ol' Roy is thinkin' soon enough...

UPDATE: As of 5 pm EST today, Auburn still had not heard from the Brooks family (if that means anything). Will report if I hear more.

So do we go after him now? Would that make a difference to Knox?

Yes and absolutely not.

MSU gave him an unconditional release, meaning Auburn is back in play. They already have Okeke coming in who is a Hybrid-4 (and a beast), and are looking at a transfer Big. Still, they have room since Lang (yeah, the son of the former dookie) is transferring out.

Will Pearl pursue Garrison? Dunno, but the feeling around Auburn is that if UNC does offer again, AU may still be suckin' hind tit, as UNC was his dream school. Mom wanted him at AU, but she was also fine with Chapel Hill. Anyway, I guess we'll see what Ol' Roy is thinkin' soon enough...

I'd imagine E.J. Montgomery coming in next would affect that too.

Yes and absolutely not.

I'd imagine E.J. Montgomery coming in next would affect that too.
Montgomery is '18, but yes, I suppose it could since they play the same position. However, Austin Wiley is (as of now) still planning to go after this coming season, but he'a a pure 5.

UPDATE: As of 5 pm EST today, Auburn still had not heard from the Brooks family (if that means anything). Will report if I hear more.
I think Auburn would take him if he was willing to come. Being undersized was possibly Auburn's biggest problem last year. He doesn't have a lot of bulk, but he would be the 2nd tallest player on Auburn's team behind Wiley

It came down to the fact that momma was willing to press the issue on the co mingling of dad and the NLI, as well as the dad not being the primary legal guardian. We all know how that would have went in court and it wouldn't have been good for MsU, the NCAA, etc.

We have enough 3* centers in the same class already. We need to save this scholly for the plethora of prospects in the Carolinas.

We have enough 3* centers in the same class already. We need to save this scholly for the plethora of prospects in the Carolinas.
He's much better than Huffman or Manley at this point. And aren't most of the Carolina prospects wings and guards? It'd be nice to only need a couple big man recruits over the next few seasons.

UPDATE 2: Just saw some more details from over Auburn way. Long story short, Momma tore MSU a new ASS. She must know where their (and her ex-husband's) bodies are buried :cool:.

She knows "alot" and they(MSU) know that she knows alot.
Lol, wow.

I'm wondering if we should touch this kid and mom.
o_O

He's much better than Huffman or Manley at this point. And aren't most of the Carolina prospects wings and guards? It'd be nice to only need a couple big man recruits over the next few seasons.
We already have Huffman and Manley signed. I just don't think all 3 will ever play major minutes.

Brooks is not a 3 *. He's probably better than the 2 we have right now, and that's just being honest.

Furthermore, bigs in 2018 are in slim pickings. A 2 year Brooks would work well for us.

She knows "alot" and they(MSU) know that she knows alot.
Lol, wow.

I'm wondering if we should touch this kid and mom.
o_O

If not for the shady moves of Dad, Mom wouldn't have to go to these extremes.

A mom fighting for her child's best interests is not something to be wary of.

Brooks is not a 3 *. He's probably better than the 2 we have right now, and that's just being honest.

Furthermore, bigs in 2018 are in slim pickings. A 2 year Brooks would work well for us.
He is a national composite #134. Call him a 3 or a 4 and then name me the UNC players in that range who were big contributors. We would be LMAO if dook was taking players in this range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT