ADVERTISEMENT

Garrison Brooks...

I agree, but someone liked him. He was ranked about 50 spots higher than Brooks in high school.

My expectations are very low and realistic for the bigs we have coming in, I hope you're correct.

James could shoot well. He just couldn't catch, not foul, make a right play, or use his body well enough with no hops.

Similarly ranked, similar mix tapes. Except in the Hubert and James tapes, they are competing vs very high level competition. Just pointing out that if we rewound the clocks back 6-7 years and put these tapes on a thread it would be very easy to draw similar conclusions as some of you are about brooks.

I hope Brooks ends up being better than both, quite obviously. But it's fair to admit that his upside could be around where these guys ended up.
And you could put up highlight tapes of future stars as well. You never know --- no one is a guarantee.

That being said, Brooks to Hubert is just a dumb comparison, and Brooks is a totally different player from Big Joel. Come on, man.

I think we've reached an impasse regarding opinions of our young bigs. So I'm going to check out of this discussion. I'm going to agree to disagree and leave it at that. I can't wait to get these guys on campus.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I agree, but someone liked him. He was ranked about 50 spots higher than Brooks in high school.

My expectations are very low and realistic for the bigs we have coming in, I hope you're

My expectations are very low and realistic for the bigs we have coming in, I hope you're correct.
I think a lot James ranking being so high was on size alone, brooks is way more athletic, has better hands, has a couple go to moves, and has a good mid range game already! He's gonna be head and shoulders better than James and Hubert

Gotta love the people so sure of their opinions before they play a single second in college basketball and before the coaching staff has time to begin working with them.

Gotta love the people so sure of their opinions before they play a single second in college basketball and before the coaching staff has time to begin working with them.

He will play serious minutes from the git go.

He's gonna be head and shoulders better than James and Hubert

Do you mean like these? I don't think any of us who are "skepticals" as Tonya Harding would say , have made any definitive statements. I just mainly have a problem bringing in 3 at basically the same position in the same year when we only have about 5 scholarships for 2018 and 2019..

Reactions: RoseHeel
Do you mean like these? I don't think any of us who are "skepticals" as Tonya Harding would say , have made any definitive statements. I just mainly have a problem bringing in 3 at basically the same position in the same year when we only have about 5 scholarships for 2018 and 2019..

This.

The skeptical ones are always being made out as the ones that say without a doubt they won't be good, which is simply untrue. Expecting less and being pleasantly surprised (Luke Maye) is a hell of a lot better than expecting the best and getting something barely above par (Joel James).

And that's not bashing either of those guys, so please don't try to make it out to be.

Fine young man who gave us all he had and HELPED us quite often.

You trying to make fun of former players? Not cool at all.
He wasn't making fun of them. Saying Joel James was not a starting caliber player for UNC is not making fun of him. We get some of the best players in the world at UNC. If all three of Huffman, Brooks, and Manley play at James' level we will need some higher level bigs to come here too. Not everyone is destined to be a star, and no one has said anything about their character.

The point is, why should any UNC fan care a whit if some other UNC fans are overzealous in their expectations for our recruits? If the recruits don't pan out, the only people who will be disappointed or look foolish are those who had "unrealistic" expectations. It is no reflection on the "realists" on our board.

We all know that there are all types of posters on any message board, optimists, pessimists, ones who are realistic, ones who aren't, ones who like to argue, and ones that don't. Your posts, and your posts alone, determine how you are viewed, certainly not what others post.

Last edited:

It's called good old fashioned debate, It's what this country was founded on. I feel that some of you want a board full of "YES" men.

The point is, why should any UNC fan care a whit if some other UNC fans are overzealous in their expectations for our recruits? If the recruits don't pan out, the only people who will be disappointed or look foolish are those who had "unrealistic" expectations. It is no reflection on the "realists" on our board.

We all know that there are all types of posters on any message board, optimists, pessimists, ones who are realistic, ones who aren't, ones who like to argue, and ones that don't. Your posts, and your posts alone, determine how you are viewed, certainly not what others post.

So basically what you're saying is-"agree with me or keep your mouth shut".

Got it.

You have zero reading comprehension skills if that's what you took from my post. Zero.

Actually your post was very confusing. You threw around a bunch of labels out of the ether such as "realist", "optimist".. etc etc. all amounting to pretty much nothing that I could call coherent besides what my conclusion was.

The only other thing I could surmise is perhaps you are saying that you don't get why you can't just be as optimistic as you want without anyone saying a word about it. When you say "why should a unc fan care a whit if some other fans are overzealous etc", you seem to be implying it's absurd for anyone who's a fellow fan to care let alone debate your opinions or overzealousness. I mean there's not many other ways to take that.

Also, we are on a message board where everyone has varying opinions . If you type that we "should be very excited" about Brooks or other bigs we have coming in and that "he will get huge minutes from the get go", well your throwing a very strong opinion out there that people have every right to question. You tell us we "should be excited", so what's so different about you telling people how they should think about this kid juxtaposed with those who are saying they don't expect as much? Seems you are the one telling others how to think, while I'm just presenting evidence and at least attempting to back up my opinion with some sort of logic and facts, but I tell no one how to think, regardless of how out in space their thinking on a subject is.

How about this: I know how to evaluate players because I was a high school coach for years. I watched tape of Meeks, JJames, Hubert, Huffman, and Brooks. I saw incredible potential in Meeks even while he was dragging a point guard sized arse around. I saw a lot of heart and want to in JJ, but little bball skill. (would have been a great football player) l saw Hubert as all potential but no advanced bball IQ/skills. I watched Huff videos again and he reminds me of my German shepherd, just waiting under that tree for one of those squirrels to make a mistake and when they did....it was all she wrote. He rebounds, plays D, and dunks with ferocity. (his O needs serious work) I can't fathom Brooks star count since he has advanced IQ and really knows how to play. He kept the ball high as a youngster (although he has a habit of bringing it down in the last vid). He rebounded and blocked shots man on man and in help rotations. He has post moves AND counters. He shot with good form out to three (I'd advise him to let the threes go) He is a willing and able passer inside and on the high post. He handles the ball well for a big and has very good hands. He will learn fast just like he has already proven. Both will need to ramp up the intensity and get prepared for a serious bump in competition, but both have the ethic to do it!

Huff and Brooks WILL contribute next year whether TB comes back or not. One of them will most likely play starter level minutes by ACC time. I would redshirt Manley if TB returns and expect him to develop slowly regardless.

If an opposing coach looks at the 6'10" twin beefmasters and thinks he is in for an easy game, I say have at it biguns! (I'm comfortable with playing them together for short stretches) Warts and all, it will be fun to watch these youngsters play since both play hard, fast, and with a high motor.

How about this: I know how to evaluate players because I was a high school coach for years. I watched tape of Meeks, JJames, Hubert, Huffman, and Brooks. I saw incredible potential in Meeks even while he was dragging a point guard sized arse around. I saw a lot of heart and want to in JJ, but little bball skill. (would have been a great football player) l saw Hubert as all potential but no advanced bball IQ/skills. I watched Huff videos again and he reminds me of my German shepherd, just waiting under that tree for one of those squirrels to make a mistake and when they did....it was all she wrote. He rebounds, plays D, and dunks with ferocity. (his O needs serious work) I can't fathom Brooks star count since he has advanced IQ and really knows how to play. He kept the ball high as a youngster (although he has a habit of bringing it down in the last vid). He rebounded and blocked shots man on man and in help rotations. He has post moves AND counters. He shot with good form out to three (I'd advise him to let the threes go) He is a willing and able passer inside and on the high post. He handles the ball well for a big and has very good hands. He will learn fast just like he has already proven. Both will need to ramp up the intensity and get prepared for a serious bump in competition, but both have the ethic to do it!

Huff and Brooks WILL contribute next year whether TB comes back or not. One of them will most likely play starter level minutes by ACC time. I would redshirt Manley if TB returns and expect him to develop slowly regardless.

If an opposing coach looks at the 6'10" twin beefmasters and thinks he is in for an easy game, I say have at it biguns! (I'm comfortable with playing them together for short stretches) Warts and all, it will be fun to watch these youngsters play since both play hard, fast, and with a high motor.

Good post. Much easier to wrap my head around somebody being excited about these guys when they present actual basketball reasons as opposed to fantasyland words like "faith" and "trust".

Thank you.

Good post, only thing I would slightly disagree with is red shirting manley, if the real upside is there fine red shirt him but if he is a Joel or Desmond level talent then maybe don't red shirt. Right now it is a hard call to really know what we will have with this kid when he gets more weight added and his stamina improves.

Huffman as a frosh is a rebound stick back guy, not bad, pretty much what Tony was this past season. The jump shot is dead broke but he does not have to jump shoot to help us. Brooks could be very special for us as he learns, great match of player to system, don't know how much he will help us as a frosh but I do think he is the most skilled front big an and I think will have a solid 1st season and that is all we really need hi to do, especially if Tony comes back as I expect him to.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Huffman as a frosh is a rebound stick back guy, not bad, pretty much what Tony was this past season. The jump shot is dead broke but he does not have to jump shoot to help us. Brooks could be very special for us as he learns, great match of player to system, don't know how much he will help us as a frosh but I do think he is the most skilled front big an and I think will have a solid 1st season and that is all we really need hi to do, especially if Tony comes back as I expect him to.
Now wait a minute, Dave... Tony was far from just a rebound and stick-back guy. Yeah, he got a lot by doing that and running the floor, but he was a legit threat from traditional post entries and face-ups from Day 1. He wasn't yet at the Meeks/Hicks level of proficiency, and If he returns I expect his total game to jump, but it's not like he came in raw. Skill-wise, he was eons above where Huffman is coming in.

If TB returns then I suppose some redshirt questions could emerge. You're right --- Brooks is the most ready to play, but Manley's only question mark is the extent of his physical recovery. Of course, if TB leaves then redshirts are off the table barring injury. From a skill/development standpoint, Huffman would benefit the most from a redshirt year, but I doubt that's gonna be an option.

Now wait a minute, Dave... Tony was far from just a rebound and stick-back guy. Yeah, he got a lot by doing that and running the floor, but he was a legit threat from traditional post entries and face-ups from Day 1. He wasn't yet at the Meeks/Hicks level of proficiency, and If he returns I expect his total game to jump, but it's not like he came in raw. Skill-wise, he was eons above where Huffman is coming in.

Yeah, this shouldn't even be a debate. Comparing Huff's impact frosh year vs. Tony's frosh year is nuts (there you go again Dave).

Bradley was definitely much more than a rebound stick back guy. I really wonder what some people are watching-or are they even watching?

Yeah, this shouldn't even be a debate. Comparing Huff's impact frosh year vs. Tony's frosh year is nuts (there you go again Dave).

And that's just it, we have ZERO idea to that answer at this point.

People are also simplifying the rebounding part, as if it's easy to just come in as a physical big and be a great rebounder. We were the best rebounding team in the country last year, largely because Kennedy and Tony were absolutely dominant on the boards. Kennedy had 15.5 rebounds per 40 minutes, and Tony had 14.1. Joel James, definitely a physical specimen, only had 11.6 per 40 his senior year and 10.4 for his career. Huffman looks pretty physical but might rebound like James as a frosh, and losing 4-5 extra rebounds per game would be quite big.

Bradley was definitely much more than a rebound stick back guy. I really wonder what some people are watching-or are they even watching?

They most likely saying that because he could be OAD. Let Tony say he returning, then he be the best big man in the country. The best thing since sliced bread.

I really appreciated this post as well.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Rebounding is as much about will and effort as it is about positioning and anticipation. Huffman has the will and effort and our coaches are good at teaching the other two! ( I agree that his shot is fugly!) Brooks seems to have all four down already in the vids I have watched. (He just needs to continue adding strength and stamina) This is why I anticipate they will both be good rebounders and will be producing impressive combined numbers by ACC time!

TB had an incredible growth curve this year with limited minutes. He was a terror on defense in the post, but struggled on the perimeter. He showed offensive moves and even some counters, but lacked finishing strength. Once he increases his weight, strength, and stamina he will be ALL ACC caliber easily! I love the form on his shots and I expect his jumpshot to improve greatly especially if he adds a little arc to it! Coming back (which I anticipate) would elevate our team tremendously and make him millions of $. Return or not, he IS already one of the best bigs in the country!

SB Nation's Kentucky site is saying they're still expected to land Mo Bamba. Is SKJ really going to stay with him and Richards in the fold? I get sitting out a year to transfer sucks, but it seems fairly likely he'd sit most of the year anyway. I suppose it's good to practice against those other top bigs all of the time...

TB had an incredible growth curve this year with limited minutes. He was a terror on defense in the post, but struggled on the perimeter. He showed offensive moves and even some counters, but lacked finishing strength. Once he increases his weight, strength, and stamina he will be ALL ACC caliber!

Absolutely.

I'm not one who is counting him out. I never do this with our coaching staff's ability. I would just like a little caution with a recruit that has already had multiple catastrophic leg injuries. I'm thinking red-shirt to ensure 100% health, not because I think he couldn't contribute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT