ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

Over/ under of wins next year I set at 11.5
Eh, I believe it will be much higher next year. Love is already back, the two recruits coming in will stay committed. I believe Bacot comes back as well. If Hubert can get a transfer or two, I expect a decent season next year.

Its the next 2+ years that worry me, not next year.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Way to screw it up Bubba. Best job in college basketball and we literally hand the job to an unproven assistant.

Interesting the report that many alum wanted Wes and Bubba went with Hubert because of Roy pushing for him. They’ve got to get out of this keep it in the family at all cost mindset.

This won’t end well.

Ok its Mr Hubert Davis....so be it. Its really all about staff hire now. A bad decision here can be disastrous!

Last edited:
While I don't love it, to call it indefensible or idiotic is silly. We really don't have much insight into how good a coach Hubert is or isn't. He is a long-time assistant, similar to Mike Hopkins who was coach-in-waiting for Syracuse for awhile (yes I know how UW has gone for him). He also has NBA experience, a big plus, and established recruiting relationships as he's led on a number of our guys. Objectively, I don't think it's at all clear that Wes should be given the nod over him.

Assuming it was possible, I certainly would've gone for Beard/Drew/Oats/Holtmann over Hubert. However, this is a case of unknown-unknowns as a fan. I just simply have no idea how good a coach Hubert is. Roy and Bubba at least have a better idea. If they feel strongly then that is a good indicator on its own, for how little other data we have. I'm definitely excited to see how next year looks now!

I've mentioned on other threads, but there's also some nice optionality in that if Hubert doesn't work out we can easily give Wes the job in 3-5 years, in which time hopefully he's gotten successful power conference experience. This will likely always be the top potential job for Wes, so we have very little chance of missing out on him by waiting IMO.

As a top 5 program, you don't hire a head coach who has never been a head coach before. I don't care how nice or black he is. That is indefensible.

If you're going to take a gamble on the family guy, how about picking the best coach under 40 who has given UNCG success. That is indefensible.

And moreover, you CERTAINLY don't let the desires of the current players/staff cloud your judgement. This isn't a 1-2 year decision. That is indefensible.

Bubba needs to go ASAP so he doesn't screw up the next hire too. Where are the adults?

I'll be a believe when I see Black on the bench to start the first game.

The two things I want Hubert to do differently than Roy:

1. CALL A TIME OUT
2. Play the better player. No favoritism to upperclassmen when it is clear there are better options (i.e. Leaky getting 30 minutes a game this past season).

I would so take a timeout over 3 national championships. It's what I live for, timeouts.

While I don't love it, to call it indefensible or idiotic is silly. We really don't have much insight into how good a coach Hubert is or isn't. He is a long-time assistant, similar to Mike Hopkins who was coach-in-waiting for Syracuse for awhile (yes I know how UW has gone for him). He also has NBA experience, a big plus, and established recruiting relationships as he's led on a number of our guys. Objectively, I don't think it's at all clear that Wes should be given the nod over him.

Assuming it was possible, I certainly would've gone for Beard/Drew/Oats/Holtmann over Hubert. However, this is a case of unknown-unknowns as a fan. I just simply have no idea how good a coach Hubert is. Roy and Bubba at least have a better idea. If they feel strongly then that is a good indicator on its own, for how little other data we have. I'm definitely excited to see how next year looks now!

I've mentioned on other threads, but there's also some nice optionality in that if Hubert doesn't work out we can easily give Wes the job in 3-5 years, in which time hopefully he's gotten successful power conference experience. This will likely always be the top potential job for Wes, so we have very little chance of missing out on him by waiting IMO.
There's no guarantee that Wes will want it after this.

As a top 5 program, you don't hire a head coach who has never been a head coach before. I don't care how nice or black he is. That is indefensible.

If you're going to take a gamble on the family guy, how about picking the best coach under 40 who has given UNCG success. That is indefensible.

And moreover, you CERTAINLY don't let the desires of the current players/staff cloud your judgement. This isn't a 1-2 year decision. That is indefensible.

Bubba needs to go ASAP so he doesn't screw up the next hire too. Where are the adults?
While Bubba will most likely get the blame if Hubert doesn't work out, this is Roy's decision.

I'm surprised you're still a fan of the team! lol

You wouldn't want your child to attend the school??? Seriously?
I‘ve loved UNC since 1960. I still love it. But no, I wouldn’t want my child to go there.
Wouldn't want things like "diversity and equality" to rub off on the young lad. Gotta raise them up right!
Don‘t be an ass. I’m all for diversity and equality. I certainly don’t want my kids being indoctrinated in bleeding heart liberalism, however. I want them to learn critical reasoning, not Critical Race Theory and “wokeness“.

I‘ve loved UNC since 1960. I still love it. But no, I wouldn’t want my child to go there.

Don‘t be an ass. I’m all for diversity and equality. I certainly don’t want my kids being indoctrinated in bleeding heart liberalism, however. I want them to learn critical reasoning, not Critical Race Theory and “wokeness“.

If your kids at 18 years old can't tell the difference between something that is right and something they are being fed with an agenda then I'd argue that's on the parents.

I prefer to have my college aged kids exposed to many different views and allow them to make the decision for themselves on what values they choose to adhere to...but maybe that's just me.

You've "loved UNC?" What do you love?

UNC just announced some non conference games for next year.

- Southwest Idaho State
- University of South Place Tech
- Emory University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Christopher Newport University

I'll be a believe when I see Black on the bench to start the first game.

The two things I want Hubert to do differently than Roy:

1. CALL A TIME OUT
2. Play the better player. No favoritism to upperclassmen when it is clear there are better options (i.e. Leaky getting 30 minutes a game this past season).
This doesn't apply to TO that are intended to cool an opponent's mojo, but if you are going to call a TO, you better do something good with it. IMO one of the worst things X&O-wise about Roy was his inability to call a good offensive set out of a TO.

In some ways Dean was a system coach, but he would script great plays out of a timeout leading to a high % shot. Roy's teams come out of a TO and Marcus Paige will dribble around the til the shotclock forces a prayer. Roy had an awesome set with McCants & May and co (thinking UConn game, maybe) with two wrinkles, but those were too few.

Down late, i stopped screaming for TO, cuz it usually just meant the opponent got a breather to setup.

Reactions: tarheel0910

Didn't Kansas hire an unproven assistant coach at one time?

If your kids at 18 years old can't tell the difference between something that is right and something they are being fed with an agenda then I'd argue that's on the parents.

I prefer to have my college aged kids exposed to many different views and allow them to make the decision for themselves on what values they choose to adhere to...but maybe that's just me.
The problem is that they’re rarely being exposed to diversity of opinion, it’s all one sided. And if one disagrees, then you’re some combination of “phobe” or “ist”, pick your disparaging adjective.

The problem is that they’re rarely being exposed to diversity of opinion, it’s all one sided. And if one disagrees, then you’re some combination of “phobe” or “ist”, pick your disparaging adjective.

I’m sure you provide them with all the exposure they need to the alternate perspective to that liberal agenda.

Do y’all think Hubert will run Roy’s system...2 bigs, and same defense ? That’s what I worry about I hope he runs something different! Imo we really need a change offensively and of course on defense! Hopefully he gives us some insight on that he’s gonna do soon

The AD has to know when to ignore people, even hall of Fame coaches. Roy has as much experience hiring head basketball coaches as Wanda does.
I think he has that skill down, just happens to be the guys you think he should listen to that he is politely ignoring.

Reactions: ltrogdon
Not sure about this hire. Wish him the best but hope we aren’t trying to get out of another hole like Doherty put us in. This time we don’t have a Roy Williams to come home and save us.

Do y’all think Hubert will run Roy’s system...2 bigs, and same defense ? That’s what I worry about I hope he runs something different! Imo we really need a change offensively and of course on defense! Hopefully he gives us some insight on that he’s gonna do soon
That is a great question, I think he will spread out much more. I think he will be very good recruiting and will be able to recruit to his preference. We will see?

Didn't Kansas hire an unproven assistant coach at one time?
Coming off a national championship no less.

The fact is it's hard to tell who will succeed and who won't. I would have bet the bank Manning was going to kill it at Wake. He didn't. No one saw Roy becoming ROY when hired as an unknown assistant. Shaka Smart was the hottest coach in college basketball, then floundered at Texas.

If Roy thinks he's good enough to win, I think he's earned the trust.

Why is the race card being brought into this hire? You think Roy hired him 9 years ago to groom him because he is black? Come on people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT