ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

As the boss for a big operation with about 3-4 more years to go efore I retire i have already stated the groming process for my potetial replacement. I put him up front of my conference calls. I allow him to If this was RW's handpick he should have
As a top 5 program, you don't hire a head coach who has never been a head coach before. I don't care how nice or black he is. That is indefensible.

If you're going to take a gamble on the family guy, how about picking the best coach under 40 who has given UNCG success. That is indefensible.

And moreover, you CERTAINLY don't let the desires of the current players/staff cloud your judgement. This isn't a 1-2 year decision. That is indefensible.

Bubba needs to go ASAP so he doesn't screw up the next hire too. Where are the adults?

Boy you 'belched' that one right on out. smh

It’s being brought into the conversation because he isn’t the most qualified, everyone knows it, so what other reason could it be in the “woke” culture of today? It’s a valid argument.
Sounds like the most qualified weren't interested.

If you are looking at those under discussion whom we think would have taken the job - Hubert, Wes and Stack - we also rejected one Black guy.

As I tried to suggest earlier, each of those guys has good points and unknowns. Saying everyone knows that Wes was the most qualified is a huge stretch. Comparably qualified? Sure. But there's not a clear separation in the public record.

Besides, if it came down to a coin flip and Hubert was nudged across the finish line because of his race, I'm not bothered by that. In fact, I'm pretty happy that UNC beat Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. to the punch. Reminds me of Dean bringing Charlie Scott on board.

It’s being brought into the conversation because he isn’t the most qualified, everyone knows it, so what other reason could it be in the “woke” culture of today? It’s a valid argument.
Who was more qualified that was offered the job, or indicated they would take it?

Saying he got it because of his race is pretty disgusting, to be honest. The man comes with impeccable personal credentials, and it appears one of the best coaches in college basketball history gave him his seal of endorsement. Few, if any, people who know him personally have questioned the hire. He is familiar with program, has connections throughout the sport, bleeds UNC blue, and brings a continuity to Roy's tenure - one of, if not the most successful tenure in UNC history.

He is more than qualified to have the position.

I have no doubt his race will be brought into every discussion, and god forbid he start slow, but hopefully the voices are louder that view him for his performance than his looks.

Hahahahahah. No, it is not a valid argument. We could have hired Vince Carter, Antwan Jamison, Sheed, should I keep going...?

One thing is for sure. Our racists won't cut Hubert even a tiny bit of slack.

I hope he's prepared for that.

And I hope the non-racists here are also prepared to smack that nonsense down any time it's even hinted at on this board.

I'm not sure a racist could root for a team that has had roughly 75% Black American players the last 30 years. I want the best players on the floor regardless of race.. I want the best coaches regardless of race.

Reactions: Old_School59
I'm not sure a racist could root for a team that has had roughly 75% Black American players the last 30 years. I want the best players on the floor regardless of race.. I want the best coaches regardless of race.
Exactly, when you can’t win a debate with facts, figures, and documentation , always play the race card. There are tons of them on the floor here.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Wasn't Kevin Keatts considered a good hire? Came from Rick Pitinos coaching tree, had success at a mid major?

I dont know. We didnt debate State's coaching hires over the last 40 years. He was just making a joke. Gee whiz.

Wasn't Kevin Keatts considered a good hire? Came from Rick Pitinos coaching tree, had success at a mid major?
Keatts was sort of a Wes Miller type of hire. Good coaching tree, some encouraging success at a lower level.

As with Wes, I sort of feel that if he can ever recruit at a higher level, he might be pretty good.

For now, though, I'm waiting to see if Hubert can snag a couple of the top players from the portal.

I don't suppose there's any chance he could get Kessler back, is there? That would be awesome.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Keatts was sort of a Wes Miller type of hire. Good coaching tree, some encouraging success at a lower level.

As with Wes, I sort of feel that if he can ever recruit at a higher level, he might be pretty good.

For now, though, I'm waiting to see if Hubert can snag a couple of the top players from the portal.

I don't suppose there's any chance he could get Kessler back, is there? That would be awesome.

Funny you should say that. I just read where some moron said Roy asked Kessler to enter the portal then return for Davis to make a splash for Hubert. There are some real loons on the internet.

Who was more qualified that was offered the job, or indicated they would take it?

Who do we know that was offered the job? Do you know anyone that was offered?

Saying he got it because of his race is pretty disgusting, to be honest. The man comes with impeccable personal credentials, and it appears one of the best coaches in college basketball history gave him his seal of endorsement. Few, if any, people who know him personally have questioned the hire. He is familiar with program, has connections throughout the sport, bleeds UNC blue, and brings a continuity to Roy's tenure - one of, if not the most successful tenure in UNC history.

How is he more qualified? Because he was sitting on the bench? Explain it? You really want continuity from the offfenses we’ve seen lately? Those days are over because of the NBA game. These kids today want to showcase. The offense Roy ran has quickly became obsolete. Not Roys fault but things change.

I have no doubt his race will be brought into every discussion, and god forbid he start slow, but hopefully the voices are louder that view him for his performance than his looks.
Let’s assume that Brad Steven’s interviewed for the job also. What reason would you give if Steven’s said he would accept and it was given to Davis?
There is a little thing called “Logic” that I see suddenly missing from this entire retirement to this hire.

UNC just announced some non conference games for next year.

- Southwest Idaho State
- University of South Place Tech
- Emory University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Christopher Newport University
All at home too right?? 😂

Let’s assume that Brad Steven’s interviewed for the job also. What reason would you give if Steven’s said he would accept and it was given to Davis?
There is a little thing called “Logic” that I see suddenly missing from this entire retirement to this hire.

Serious question:
What makes anyone think Brad Stevens would leave the Celtics to come to UNC?
He has a playoff team and is 1 max player away from being a serious Championship contender.

Between the two, I can see where it makes sense to hire Hubert now, as opposed to Wes.

If he doesn't work out in 3 - 4 years, hopefully Wes will have moved to a P5 and proven himself. I'm sure Wes is pissed today, but if given another chance in a few years, he would still jump at it.

If Hubert is successful, well Wes would still be an option down the road. He is 13 years younger, so it's not unreasonable to think he still wouldn't take the job if he was in his early / mid 50's.

Reactions: gauchoheel

Saying he got it only for his race isn't right but it def could been a factor. And no, he is NOT more than qualified. Either was Stack, Wes, any of the Carolina guys. But id say Wes was the most qualified amongst them.

Reactions: Old_School59
tenor.gif

Ever recruit at a higher level? Should he have been recruiting zion, Cunningham, Cole Anthony etc at UNCG? Hubert hasn't proved to be any top recruiter and thats at UNC.

Roy Williams modeled himself after Dean Smith as a shaper of men first, a basketball coach second. They were both amazing basketball minds, that loved their players as family. Roy Williams retired because he felt he wasn’t connecting to what was most important to him - shaping men. Hubert Davis is being hired because Roy Williams and others feel he is the best “shaper of men” available. By all accounts HDavis is one of the kindest, most loved individuals in the family tree. This is why he was hired. For some this makes sense, for others this isn’t a priority.

I hope he is a basketball genius and is around a long time. We will see. He is already an amazing person and in this morally corrupt place NCAA finds itself I am thrilled with the hire from a morality point of view. Now we see if he can coach.

"so what other reason could it be in the “woke” culture of today? It’s a valid argument."

Carry on
how about I carry forward? . How long did it take you to formulate your statements, might I ask? I mean the amount of conjecture is overwhelming to say the least. Well done.;)

I don't think it was the best hire UNC could have done (on paper anyway). I also don't think it was because he's black, but he has earned the opportunity.

I would love to catch up with you in the streets.. doubt if you would keep that same energy.. matter of fact.. I KNOW you wouldn't!!

how about I carry forward? . How long did it take you to formulate your statements, might I ask? I mean the amount of conjecture is overwhelming to say the least. Well done.;)

Carry on? Ahh 1 second? Forgot to put a stop watch on, answering questions. Is that that what you do? Give it a rest.

Reactions: Geth
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT