ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Watch... 2022

Ozheelfan

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2004
Games are still being played, but reportedly 30 players entered the portal on Monday.

So, if Hubert goes that way again, what do people think will be the priority?

My guess is size - another big body to play with Shaver and Washington...

I’m really afraid Walton and/or Dunn will leave. I’d rather lose Walton if I had a choice, because Dunn is the better athlete and ball handler. I’d prefer to keep both.
I think Walton is gone, and I think Dunn is the better player and hope he stays.

Reactions: Archer2
Biggest need? Depends on what Bacot does. If Mando leaves, we must find a bigtime frontcourt player that can step in and start from day one. I think the 4 spot will take care of itself in house. Styles, Washington, Puff, Nickel and even the wildcard of Garcia returning. Pretty sure we can find a starter and really good backup from that mix. If Bacot returns then the biggest question in my mind is what guard plays with R.J.? I would like to see Trimble play backup pg in year one, so we would need a scoring guard to replace Caleb Love. I would love for Caleb to stay of course, as a Jr Love would be big time. I don't think Dunn would be ready to make a big impact yet, and Harris is a reserve type player for me. I also think Walton transfers, so a Scoring guard would be the top priority for me if Love leaves.
I think Bacot returns myself, and he and R.J. both become 1st team All ACC.

Last edited:
Biggest need? Depends on what Bacot does. If Mando leaves, we must find a bigtime frontcourt player that can stepbin and start from day one. I think the 4 spot will take care of itself in house. Styles, Washington, Puff, Nickel and even the wildcard of Garcia returning. Pretty sure we can find a starter and really good backup from that mix. If Bacot returns then the biggest question in my mind is what guard plays with R.J.? I would like to see Trimble play backup pg in year one, so we would need a scoring guard to replace Caleb Love. I would love for Caleb to stay of course, as a Jr Love would be big time. I don't think Dunn would be ready to make a big impact yet, and Harris is a reserve type player for me. I also think Walton transfers, so a Scoring guard would be the top priority for me if Love leaves.
I think Bacot returns myself, and he and R.J. both become 1st team All ACC.
If, as I expect, Love leaves for the NBA then Trimble is in the mix for both the back up point and the 2 guard positions, I maybe want Ant to start at the 2 but with near equal time for Trimble as things get sorted out. I like Dunn, liked him when we were recruiting him but he just has not shown much, unless he figures out how to play at this level the portal may be a better option for him. Heck, Puff may be a better option at the 2.

Reactions: Old_School59
If, as I expect, Love leaves for the NBA then Trimble is in the mix for both the back up point and the 2 guard positions, I maybe want Ant to start at the 2 but with near equal time for Trimble as things get sorted out. I like Dunn, liked him when we were recruiting him but he just has not shown much, unless he figures out how to play at this level the portal may be a better option for him. Heck, Puff may be a better option at the 2.
I love me some Ant, but I can't start him alongside Leaky ( If Leaky stays) Ant to me is that Junk yard Dog, that comes off the bench and just gets after people. He brings that toughness and leadership off the bench. I like Dunn too, not sure he will be ready to start next season. That being said, I have compared his situation to the 3 Williams.....Donald, Shammond and Kenny. All three played very limited roles as Freshman, then started or were 6th man as Sopf.

I have a “what if” scenario.

What if Joey Baker were to announce he wants to use his “Covid year exemption” and keep playing. Would there be any interest at all from UNC? Let me explain a little with manek moving on he could slide into that opening. Also, with some here thinking Walton may look to leave as well he could help there as well. He could also possibly provide insight to the vaulted dook secrets. Not that we would need those lol. We could help save a young man who has been ruined by making a wrong decision years ago by deciding to play for such an evil man and get him back on the right track. Just maybe saving his mental health. The biggest downfall with this what if is that me was once a dookie and may never be welcomed to heaven (CH).

Hopefully Trimble is up to it as a true freshman, because I do think Hubert likes the "two point" capable format. That would be his preference in my opinion.

love the way hubert is using the portal. kids seeing how brady trusted hubert and how he was used and got to experience the carolina/duke game should pay dividends for us down the road. im not sure i wouldnt rather have a one and done that has been in a college program for 4 years than a one and done freshman.

I have a “what if” scenario.

What if Joey Baker were to announce he wants to use his “Covid year exemption” and keep playing. Would there be any interest at all from UNC? Let me explain a little with manek moving on he could slide into that opening. Also, with some here thinking Walton may look to leave as well he could help there as well. He could also possibly provide insight to the vaulted dook secrets. Not that we would need those lol. We could help save a young man who has been ruined by making a wrong decision years ago by deciding to play for such an evil man and get him back on the right track. Just maybe saving his mental health. The biggest downfall with this what if is that me was once a dookie and may never be welcomed to heaven (CH).
Not no but HELL NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Archer2
I love me some Ant, but I can't start him alongside Leaky ( If Leaky stays) Ant to me is that Junk yard Dog, that comes off the bench and just gets after people. He brings that toughness and leadership off the bench. I like Dunn too, not sure he will be ready to start next season. That being said, I have compared his situation to the 3 Williams.....Donald, Shammond and Kenny. All three played very limited roles as Freshman, then started or were 6th man as Sopf.
I start Ant because the freshman needs to understand that you need to defend and Ant is a guy that (my opinion) not only sets that standard for work on the court and defends hard but is in a way the emotional leader for this team. That is a key lesson for Trimble to learn but the PT would be near equal for the 2. Ant's offense got better this season but his jump shooting for example is a work in progress that has improved and I think will continue to improve. He just is not a volume shooter, his shot selection is pretty good.

Consider this, we have watched several games this season where the story line was bad Caleb taking bad shots and turning the ball over way to much and drove the team in to a hole that was hard to get out of. You are not likely to see such stretches from Ant, you see more strong defense and good decision making from Ant. When you combine bad shot selection, way to many TOs, half hearted defense work, the guy taking the most shots who rarely looks to pass, all things we see when bad Caleb shows up you have to ask from a net standpoint does the heroics we as well see from Caleb out weight the bad Caleb appearances?

So why am I picking on Caleb if I expect him to leave, I am making the point that Hubert does not need to allow Trimble the same latitude he allows Caleb, handle what he has to learn to play at this level EARLY so you do not have to go thru the drama we have seen this season. Caleb got a ton of leeway from Roy and Hubert was there so clamping down on him was made harder. Trimble will play for Hubert for his college experience so if Hubert allows Trimble to do the things Caleb has done for his 2yrs, it is on Hubert for allowing those bad habits to occur.

I just don't see it with Dunn, I want to see it with Dunn but I so far just don't. So the 2 spot to me comes down to Ant and Trimble and I will start Ant early in, may tap Trimble later season but I start out with Ant starting if Caleb is gone.

Reactions: TheGLOV
love the way hubert is using the portal. kids seeing how brady trusted hubert and how he was used and got to experience the carolina/duke game should pay dividends for us down the road. im not sure i wouldnt rather have a one and done that has been in a college program for 4 years than a one and done freshman.
It depends on the kid and really, we have not done great with incoming transfers, Manek was/is great, he has far exceeded expectations. Other than Bob McAdoo and Manek, who else have we had transfer in to UNC that even met the incoming expectations, much less exceed them?

Reactions: Old_School59
I start Ant because the freshman needs to understand that you need to defend and Ant is a guy that (my opinion) not only sets that standard for work on the court and defends hard but is in a way the emotional leader for this team. That is a key lesson for Trimble to learn but the PT would be near equal for the 2. Ant's offense got better this season but his jump shooting for example is a work in progress that has improved and I think will continue to improve. He just is not a volume shooter, his shot selection is pretty good.

Consider this, we have watched several games this season where the story line was bad Caleb taking bad shots and turning the ball over way to much and drove the team in to a hole that was hard to get out of. You are not likely to see such stretches from Ant, you see more strong defense and good decision making from Ant. When you combine bad shot selection, way to many TOs, half hearted defense work, the guy taking the most shots who rarely looks to pass, all things we see when bad Caleb shows up you have to ask from a net standpoint does the heroics we as well see from Caleb out weight the bad Caleb appearances?

So why am I picking on Caleb if I expect him to leave, I am making the point that Hubert does not need to allow Trimble the same latitude he allows Caleb, handle what he has to learn to play at this level EARLY so you do not have to go thru the drama we have seen this season. Caleb got a ton of leeway from Roy and Hubert was there so clamping down on him was made harder. Trimble will play for Hubert for his college experience so if Hubert allows Trimble to do the things Caleb has done for his 2yrs, it is on Hubert for allowing those bad habits to occur.

I just don't see it with Dunn, I want to see it with Dunn but I so far just don't. So the 2 spot to me comes down to Ant and Trimble and I will start Ant early in, may tap Trimble later season but I start out with Ant starting if Caleb is gone.
I would start Ant as soon as he makes the good decision to do his homework and study.

Also you have been picking on Love, our assist and free throw leader, the entire season. And now our lockdown defender.

Let love lead the way
Embrace Love
Love beats Hate

I would start Ant as soon as he makes the good decision to do his homework and study.

Also you have been picking on Love, our assist and free throw leader, the entire season. And now our lockdown defender.

Let love lead the way
Embrace Love
Love beats Hate
Would not shock me to see Ant end up on the dean's list after this, he is very disappointed in himself and his family is very disappointed in him for this, will not be a problem moving forward. You can as well expect moving forward that Hubert will be made aware of a kid that is at risk in his class work, well before it is to late to do anything about it. The academic support staff really dropped the ball on this one and everyone from the AD to Hubert is not happy that happened.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
It depends on the kid and really, we have not done great with incoming transfers, Manek was/is great, he has far exceeded expectations. Other than Bob McAdoo and Manek, who else have we had transfer in to UNC that even met the incoming expectations, much less exceed them?
Wes Miller

Wes Miller
Yeah, I guess the case is made that he exceeded incoming expectations but that may be more due to the fact there were very little in expectations for Wes when he came to UNC.

When the limbo bar is really high it isn't hard to go under it...

Yeah, I guess the case is made that he exceeded incoming expectations but that may be more due to the fact there were very little in expectations for Wes when he came to UNC.

When the limbo bar is really high it isn't hard to go under it...
True, but he was really good for what I thought was a filler player when he came on board.

Reactions: DSouthr
Would not shock me to see Ant end up on the dean's list after this, he is very disappointed in himself and his family is very disappointed in him for this, will not be a problem moving forward. You can as well expect moving forward that Hubert will be made aware of a kid that is at risk in his class work, well before it is to late to do anything about it. The academic support staff really dropped the ball on this one and everyone from the AD to Hubert is not happy that happened.
Stop blaming others.I’m old school. Buckle down and study. It’s just that simple. I grew up in Kinston NC. Nobody gave us anything. We grew up in rough conditions…but when given the chance, we took advantage of it.

Ant needs to look himself in the mirror and realize the opportunity he has been afforded and do his damn class work period.

Stop blaming others.I’m old school. Buckle down and study. It’s just that simple. I grew up in Kinston NC. Nobody gave us anything. We grew up in rough conditions…but when given the chance, we took advantage of it.

Ant needs to look himself in the mirror and realize the opportunity he has been afforded and do his damn class work period.
OK, so I am CALLING BS RIGHT NOW! Never gave you anything? You were given an amazing gift of having Kings Barbecue just down the street!

On a more serious note, Ant has done that mirror look and he realizes exactly what you have shared. But the ball was dropped on the academic advisor side and that does not in any way shift blame from Ant, just saying Hubert had no idea of this until it was to late and that NEVER should happen. That will get fixed, being honest, that was a bit to lax with Roy, it is part of the learning curve that Hubert had going from assistant to head coach, considering how Hubert is, I do not expect this to be a problem again. Hubert will know how well his players are progressing in their classes well before it gets to the point it got with Ant as well as some others that played for Roy. Do not ask or expect me to explain that last sentence please.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Games are still being played, but reportedly 30 players entered the portal on Monday.

So, if Hubert goes that way again, what do people think will be the priority?

My guess is size - another big body to play with Shaver and Washington...
There has been a rumor in the grapevine for a couple of weeks that a quality young Big (whom we've seen before) may enter the portal... and that UNC may be his preferred destination.

OK, so I am CALLING BS RIGHT NOW! Never gave you anything? You were given an amazing gift of having Kings Barbecue just down the street!

On a more serious note, Ant has done that mirror look and he realizes exactly what you have shared. But the ball was dropped on the academic advisor side and that does not in any way shift blame from Ant, just saying Hubert had no idea of this until it was to late and that NEVER should happen. That will get fixed, being honest, that was a bit to lax with Roy, it is part of the learning curve that Hubert had going from assistant to head coach, considering how Hubert is, I do not expect this to be a problem again. Hubert will know how well his players are progressing in their classes well before it gets to the point it got with Ant as well as some others that played for Roy. Do not ask or expect me to explain that last sentence please.
Ok brother…..you got me with the Kings Barbecue…..lol…..I was home last weekend and had some good ole Kings barbecue with the hush puppies.

By the way speaking of Kinston. I didn’t like that ESPN feature about Kinston basketball because, if you are from Kinston, you would know that you can’t talk about Kinston basketball without mentioning two names 1. Copper Head and 2. Yogi. These two guys ran the rec leagues where most of us Kinstonians learned how to play.

I do hope Ant get his grade right because that kid have heart. His best basketball is ahead of him for sure.

Reactions: DSouthr
There has been a rumor in the grapevine for a couple of weeks that a quality young Big (whom we've seen before) may enter the portal... and that UNC may be his preferred destination.
Care to expand on that one??

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT