ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Watch... 2022

The 5 star committed to LSU is Yohan Traore from basketball factory, Dream City Christian in Glendale,Arizona. He did not sign a LOI. They also have a signed 5 star PF named Julian Phillips
THANKS, FOR THE INFO!

Reactions: stevez25
The 5 star committed to LSU is Yohan Traore from basketball factory, Dream City Christian in Glendale,Arizona. He did not sign a LOI. They also have a signed 5 star PF named Julian Phillips
The 5-star PF is like a taller version of Styles. Athletic but he struggles with his outside shot. Not the type of forward Hubert has been recruiting.

The 5-star C on the other hand is precisely the type if big Hubert has been pursuing.

Reactions: stevez25
Ditto for State's Jaylen Gibson. 6'10 220 sophomore. Judging from his stats, he started to come on toward the end of this season in minutes and production.

What are the odds that we can get someone from the portal as good as Bacot and Manek?
Unlikely, but we'll have to wait and see what the portal has to offer. It's why the portal should never be your primary recruiting tool. You have no idea what your options are until a very small window of time between the end of the season and the start of summer school.

But we don't have a choice. The only bigs Hubert has coming in are a skinny face-up big coming off multiple knee surgeries, and a big time project center. If we are lucky, Washington may get healthy enough to be part of the rotation as a freshman. So we're going to need some luck with the transfer portal or some late high school decommitments.

Unlikely, but we'll have to wait and see what the portal has to offer. It's why the portal should never be your primary recruiting tool. You have no idea what your options are until a very small window of time between the end of the season and the start of summer school.

But we don't have a choice. The only bigs Hubert has coming in are a skinny face-up big coming off multiple knee surgeries, and a big time project center. If we are lucky, Washington may get healthy enough to be part of the rotation as a freshman. So we're going to need some luck with the transfer portal or some late high school decommitments.
I agree with you in that we can't rely soley in the portal.
As for Jalen Washington, I am having trouble understanding why everyone is so concerned about him being healthy.
Jalen will be what 13-14 months removed from his surgery by our first game in the Fall?
I have been around HS athletes that have returned from ACL surgery and played at a high level in 5-7 months.
He is getting the best care now that he can get and is in constant contact with the Carolina doctor and strength coach.
His health will not likely be a concern.
Now will he be ready to be a bigtime player from day 1? Time will tell there, but he was well on his way to becoming a top 10-20 player in his class before his injuries. I also watch a local interview with him here in Indiana and he said he was up to 225 lbs and he looked like his upper body had filled out nicely.
I remind you that Sam Perkins was probably a Jr before he topped 230 lbs and Antwan Jamison was only 223 lbs when he won the Wooden Award.
Washington has the ability to play either the 4 or 5 depending who he is paired with on the court.
I really like Jalen and my Purdue friends were gutted when he picked Carolina. Matt Painter had been recruiting him since the 8th grade.
Jalen Washington will be big time, and I think we will have him at least two years as to pair with GG Jackson hopefully.
Worthy and Perkins 2.0

As for Jalen Washington, I am having trouble understanding why everyone is so concerned about him being healthy.
Jalen will be what 13-14 months removed from his surgery by our first game in the Fall?
I have been around HS athletes that have returned from ACL surgery and played at a high level in 5-7 months.
He is getting the best care now that he can get and is in constant contact with the Carolina doctor and strength coach.
Now will he be ready to be a bigtime player from day 1? Time will tell there, but he was well on his way to becoming a top 10-20 player in his class before his injuries. I also watch a local interview with him here in Indiana and he said he was up to 225 lbs and he looked like his upper body had filled out nicely.
I remind you that Sam Perkins was probably a Jr before he topped 230 lbs and Antwan Jamison was only 223 lbs when he won the Wooden Award.
Washington has the ability to play either the 4 or 5 depending who he is paired with on the court.
I really like Jalen and my Purdue friends were gutted when he picked Carolina. Matt Painter had been recruiting him since the 8th grade.
Jalen Washington will be big time, and I think we will have him at least two years as to pair with GG Jackson hopefully.
Worty and Perkins 2.0
If that Worthy Perkins 2.0 would indeed come to pass- I’d take 75% of that and a natty!

Worthy and Perkins 2.0
He's had 2 acl tears and 2 knee surgeries on the same knee since 2020. He will not have played competitive basketball in about 14 months by the time Late Night with Hubert rolls around.

I'd expect the staff to be super careful with him until they are positive his knee can handle the running and cutting expected at this level of basketball. I suspect it's going to take quite a while to get his conditioning level up too.

There is the added issue of what position to play him at. Recruiting analysts swear he is best suited to be a college 5, but he'll need a lot more weight and strength (especially lower body strength) to hold position against experienced college centers. He prefers to shoot face-up jumpers like a stretch 4, but no one seems to believe he has the lateral mobility to defend that position on the perimeter.

He's had 2 acl tears and 2 knee surgeries on the same knee since 2020. He will not have played competitive basketball in about 14 months by the time Late Night with Hubert rolls around.

I'd expect the staff to be super careful with him until they are positive his knee can handle the running and cutting expected at this level of basketball. I suspect it's going to take quite a while to get his conditioning level up too.

There is the added issue of what position to play him at. Recruiting analysts swear he is best suited to be a college 5, but he'll need a lot more weight and strength (especially lower body strength) to hold position against experienced college centers. He prefers to shoot face-up jumpers like a stretch 4, but no one seems to believe he has the lateral mobility to defend that position on the perimeter.
Neither of us are doctors, so that will just have to play out in time.
As for his position in College, I agree that he would best play the 5 and I think he will. His legth will allow him to play defensively at either big spot though. His wingspan is well over 7'
I bigger version of John Henson coming in as a freshman, hence my Sam Perkins comp.

[Washington] was well on his way to becoming a top 10-20 player in his class before his injuries.
This is what I remember. I watched some clips and he looked really good. If he's healthy and can shake off the rust, we're going to like him a lot.

But that's taking an optimistic view. And I sure don't want to depend on him being ready for high minutes of getting the toughest front line D from our opponents.

The portal will be important.

Worthy and Perkins 2.0
The concern with Washington is that he had his initial procedure done and it did not take yet he played for a good while with that knee not being sound, did he do more extensive damage that is harder to mend? We just can't know until he comes and we see where he is physically. Could it be a chronic problem or as simple as (as if there were such a thing) and simple knee issue that was not handled properly the first time.

As for his weight, is it good weight or is it weight added because he has not been able to condition himself while in rehab for that knee? I thought your add of Jamison was interesting, his forte was his quick explosion off the floor, especially his second jump, which is a reflection of knee health and strength, as well as those quicky twitchy muscles thingys. I mean, when we are talking about Washington's knee is anything but healthy as of today. Just read that as interesting, not digging at you.

Folks seem to forget, Washington in the eyes of a lot of experts was considered to be the best jump shooting big man in his class, it was assumed he would be a 5 star before that knee injury. So if he can fully recover and get back to where he was prior to the initial knee injury then folks we have a very special player that fits what Hubert wants his bigs to be able to do like a hand to a glove (not the OJ glove ;). I see him as a bit of Brice Johnson with extended range on his jumpers. I'll take that all day long!

That's my fear, as well.

Assuming we get some help, if we are going to be better next season, that will come mainly from our current players improving (and staying healthy).
WW, I kinda disagree and I kinda don't?

I could make the case that losing a player or 2 that either do not defend from the effort point of view or guys that have given up TO numbers that just are not acceptable or specialize in bad shot selection, that maybe losing them is a case of addition by subtraction. Then again, I look at a guy like Caleb who is guilty for sure of the issues I shared but as well has this flair from the dramatic that has had him really step up at the end and make key plays that win us games? The question with Caleb this season has been does his cost justify the rewards?

I do think we will see a good bit more PT for this freshman incoming class than we saw from our current freshmen. How much would we lose if we replaced Manek with Nichel and Caleb with Seth Trimble? I think it unfair to expect Nichel to be a direct replace for Manek and this team not see drop off but would not surprise me to see Seth be able to drop right in for Caleb and we either not see much drop off or actually be better as a team. Washington, easy replacement for Garcia and in my mind could well be an upgrade, absolute upgrade considering Garcia is no longer available for this season. Losing Bacot, if that happens and I am thinking there is a very good chance it does, Shaver in my mind is has some Bacot traits but much more like a poor man's freshman Bacot than a guy that can step right in for him, hope that changes but if it doesn't we will need the portal (can't say I am comfortable with starting 2 freshmen in our front court (lets say Washington at the 5 and Nichel at the 4). Not yet sold that Styles will be able to hold down starter minutes for us at the 4. I am hoping Shaver can give us 7-10mins a game of solid play and don't think that is expecting to much from a guy that has had a lot of practice time now with this current Tar Heel team, working against Bacot in practice, now in our S/C program, has that kind of Deon like mid range jumper but in a bigger frame? Shaver is a big kid, he can bang right now just not sure his conditioning will allow for long stretches next season, needs to work on his foot work, especially defensively. Getting a head start for him sholuld be a real key for him next season, really want to see what more he can bring.

I would say Manek may be the hardest guy to replace, he has kind of been the heart and soul of this team, you just don't lose a guy like that and not feel it. Losing him and Bacot would be a tuff blow to absorb. To exchange guys with now a LOT of college experience for freshmen is tricky at best. I do think we will lose 3 starters (Manek, Bacot, Love) and a couple guys off the bench but we do bring in a class that I really do like and a class that in time I can see being better than this current team but only time will tell the end of that story.

The concern with Washington is that he had his initial procedure done and it did not take yet he played for a good while with that knee not being sound, did he do more extensive damage that is harder to mend? We just can't know until he comes and we see where he is physically. Could it be a chronic problem or as simple as (as if there were such a thing) and simple knee issue that was not handled properly the first time.

As for his weight, is it good weight or is it weight added because he has not been able to condition himself while in rehab for that knee? I thought your add of Jamison was interesting, his forte was his quick explosion off the floor, especially his second jump, which is a reflection of knee health and strength, as well as those quicky twitchy muscles thingys. I mean, when we are talking about Washington's knee is anything but healthy as of today. Just read that as interesting, not digging at you.

Folks seem to forget, Washington in the eyes of a lot of experts was considered to be the best jump shooting big man in his class, it was assumed he would be a 5 star before that knee injury. So if he can fully recover and get back to where he was prior to the initial knee injury then folks we have a very special player that fits what Hubert wants his bigs to be able to do like a hand to a glove (not the OJ glove ;). I see him as a bit of Brice Johnson with extended range on his jumpers. I'll take that all day long!
The Jamison mention was done soley in regards to weight comparison for a post player. I don't think Jalen plays anything like twan. He comps to a bigger John Henson to me (plus deeper range) and Henson handled his business well when he was " Forced" to play the 5 with Zeller out of the game.
Washington will seamlessly move back and forth.
Washington looked bigger but tight in that interview to me. He has used this time to really enhance his strength. Kerwinwaltonsafro is correct in his thoughts about the lower body strength needing to probably catch up later.

Last edited:
WW, I kinda disagree and I kinda don't?

I could make the case that losing a player or 2 that either do not defend from the effort point of view or guys that have given up TO numbers that just are not acceptable or specialize in bad shot selection, that maybe losing them is a case of addition by subtraction. Then again, I look at a guy like Caleb who is guilty for sure of the issues I shared but as well has this flair from the dramatic that has had him really step up at the end and make key plays that win us games? The question with Caleb this season has been does his cost justify the rewards?

I do think we will see a good bit more PT for this freshman incoming class than we saw from our current freshmen. How much would we lose if we replaced Manek with Nichel and Caleb with Seth Trimble? I think it unfair to expect Nichel to be a direct replace for Manek and this team not see drop off but would not surprise me to see Seth be able to drop right in for Caleb and we either not see much drop off or actually be better as a team. Washington, easy replacement for Garcia and in my mind could well be an upgrade, absolute upgrade considering Garcia is no longer available for this season. Losing Bacot, if that happens and I am thinking there is a very good chance it does, Shaver in my mind is has some Bacot traits but much more like a poor man's freshman Bacot than a guy that can step right in for him, hope that changes but if it doesn't we will need the portal (can't say I am comfortable with starting 2 freshmen in our front court (lets say Washington at the 5 and Nichel at the 4). Not yet sold that Styles will be able to hold down starter minutes for us at the 4. I am hoping Shaver can give us 7-10mins a game of solid play and don't think that is expecting to much from a guy that has had a lot of practice time now with this current Tar Heel team, working against Bacot in practice, now in our S/C program, has that kind of Deon like mid range jumper but in a bigger frame? Shaver is a big kid, he can bang right now just not sure his conditioning will allow for long stretches next season, needs to work on his foot work, especially defensively. Getting a head start for him sholuld be a real key for him next season, really want to see what more he can bring.

I would say Manek may be the hardest guy to replace, he has kind of been the heart and soul of this team, you just don't lose a guy like that and not feel it. Losing him and Bacot would be a tuff blow to absorb. To exchange guys with now a LOT of college experience for freshmen is tricky at best. I do think we will lose 3 starters (Manek, Bacot, Love) and a couple guys off the bench but we do bring in a class that I really do like and a class that in time I can see being better than this current team but only time will tell the end of that story.
Great Deon comp for Shaver! Never thought about him, but very good possibility. Loved that 8-12' turnaround Deon had. Automatic!

Stanford's Jaiden Delaire just entered the portal. A 6'9 215 SF with only his COVID year left. A starter his last 2 years.

Presumably transitioning from Haase to Hubert wouldn't be too hard.

He was ranked #77 out of HS.

Not spectacular, but mature and steady. Might be worth a look while we wait for something better to turn up.

Then again, he's probably looking for a starting slot. That might be available here, but that's not clear.

I want someone 6'10" or better if possible! I like true Bigs to pair with the shooting hybrids everyone seems to love these days! We can't look for Manek or Bacot clones since these guys built up to this over 4-5 years! We can find good Bigs who have their own styles, however! We can't find Hans, but we found Johnson. We couldn't find May, but we found Bacot. Hubs will adjust to the Big, we just need a true Big with heart, killer attitude, skills, and a team first mentality!

Intrigued if Bacot leaves. I think Mando returns but this guy has potential to rotate with Shaver and Washington at the 5. He is also a black belt in karate, so his balence and toughness should be unquestioned. Our staff should help with his athleticism and skill level if we are interested.
After that Baylor game, maybe our whole team should learn karate.

Agree with a couple early comments. The concern with Washington is that he has had reoccurring issues. They were careful after the first as well.

After his first he lost some explosiveness, maybe it would/will come back, but he really improved his already solid shooting. He did play differently and dropped a bit from a top 5 to top 20 type.

He has been down for an awful long time, great kid, great work ethic, hope it is not a structural problem that some bigs have with their legs.

Remember the first procedure was not done correctly and had to be "cleaned up" I wouldn't use that as the standard, but I trust the UNC medical staff to get him 100% before allowing him to freely participate!

Reactions: TheGLOV and tarwhiz
Nice! Go get 'em!

Once he starts keeping the ball higher and loses that dribbling in the paint he is set! Man's body, great feet, moves/counter moves; rebounding, protecting the paint, and outside shooting....what more can you ask of a big??? He will have to adjust to the level of comp, the speed, and the fact that peeps are as big/quick/strong as he is but the potential is there for him to be a game changer!

I want someone 6'10" or better if possible! I like true Bigs to pair with the shooting hybrids everyone seems to love these days! We can't look for Manek or Bacot clones since these guys built up to this over 4-5 years! We can find good Bigs who have their own styles, however! We can't find Hans, but we found Johnson. We couldn't find May, but we found Bacot. Hubs will adjust to the Big, we just need a true Big with heart, killer attitude, skills, and a team first mentality!
PJ Hall is that man. If Bacot leaves and PJ hits the portal, I hope he is Hubert's first choice.

PJ Hall is that man. If Bacot leaves and PJ hits the portal, I hope he is Hubert's first choice.
I would take P.J. over the GVS guy if he enters portal and Bacot leaves. P.J. could possibly be a multi year guy as well which would add to his appeal.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Would not under estimate the Portal. Look at it like free agency in the major professional sports. You go out and find the missing pieces and solidify your team.

Hubert has only made 5 offers for 2023 and 2 offers for 2024. He is not throwing out 10-15 offers like UNC has done each year over the past several years.

I love Bacot, but a player like PJ Hall can do everything that Bacot can do. He can also step out and bury the outside shot, something Bacot cannot do.

I would not sleep on Styles. The kid arguably hit the most crucial shot that propelled UNC to the next round of the Dance. He may make the sophomore jump.

No one expected our team to make it this far. Enjoy, it's all gravy time.

Would not under estimate the Portal. I look at it like free agency in the major professional sports. You go out and find the missing pieces and solidify your team. Hubert has only made 5 offers for 2023 and 2 offers for 2024. He is not throwing out 10-15 offers like UNC has done each year over the past several years.

I love Bacot, but PJ Hall can do everything that Bacot can do. He can also step out and bury the outside shot, which is something Bacot cannot do. Here you have a 5 that can go out and bury the 3-point shot you may not need the complete Manek production.

I also would not sleep on Styles. The kid arguably hit the most crucial shot that propelled UNC to the next round of the Dance. He may make the sophomore jump.

No one expected our team to make it this far. Enjoy, it's all gravy time.
Has PJ Hall declared for the portal?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Has PJ Hall declared for the portal?
Not yet. Just providing a scenario. Don't think for one moment that these kids are not watching what UNC is doing in the Dance.

Does anyone have a problem with UNC becoming the Portal equivalent of Duke and Kentucky OAD dominance?

PJ Hall and GG Jackson are very good friends. In fact, PJ Hall is a mentor for GG.

I have absolutely no problem with UNC getting a recruit or two from the portal every year! I am sure we will begin to see peeps leave this way often too. It is the new world and unlike OAD kids, we have some idea of what they can do in college before getting them! We will get a glimpse of their attitude, motor, and coachability too! I definitely prefer Hub develop portal mastery way before going to the OAD model!

We have no idea how many scholarships we even have available

(By jersey number)
Anthony Harris-likely coming back
Leaky Black--maybe coming back
Caleb Love--likely coming back (which is a change from three months ago)
Dontrez Styles--coming back
RJ Davis--coming back
D'Marco Dunn--maybe coming back
Dawson Garcia--likely gone
Puff Johnson-coming back
Will Shaver-coming back
Justin McKoy-coming back
Kerwin Walton--maybe leaving?
Brady Manek--sadly the only definite gone

Trimble-new
Washington-new
Nickel-new