ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: class of 2016

Yeah, I agree! Just watched Bam as well, and he is a MAN! He is ferocious and relentless. I really hope we get that young man because I don't want to have to guard him! Maybe we could see a great class after all, go Roy!

I have to say i think Bam is a fantastic player and will be a beast in college. If you honestly would take him over HG though, i think you're in a very very very small minority.
A multi year Bam over HG might be a decent trade off. I will be ecstatic with either.

Agree as usual Dave, with one exception. I think the early stuff had to do not so much with adjusting to talent as much as the normal freshman adjustments to the college game, and mostly to the nuances of playing PG in the Carolina system (which ain't easy). Even Phil will tell you he had his early freshman moments back in the day.
Last season I watched more dook basketball than I can normally stomach, and T. Jones struggled --- mightily at times --- early as well (in a relatively dumbed-down system). You and I have both said that the unfortunate difference was that Jones had the opportunity to get thrown into the fire and learn on the fly, and that we would have been better off had that happened. with JB. Still, Joel was pretty damned good down the stretch nonetheless, and good things are on he horizon.

Yeah Gary, totally agree and what I man by adjusting to the talent at this level in both comfort with our system/players and opposing talents. Totally agree, all freshman PGs struggle to learn a system like ours. Our PGs not only need to know their responsibility but have to understand the other mates on the floor's responsibility as well as how those other mates handle theirs. Even in a simplified system that ain't easy but our system is not simple. I really wish we could have got him more early PT so he could have played thru that learning curve, really felt it was that he struggled with when he did finally get good court time. Really look forward to this kid once he is comfortable and not looking over at Roy.

Reactions: gary-7
:cool:
It's funny this popped up now as I was just involved in a conversation Saturday with a coach telling some AAU stories, including one about the futility of trying to keep JB from going where he wanted to go and doing what he wanted to do on the court.
I know some folks wonder why I was/am so high on Berry. One reason is that among and against the best, he was the alpha dog.
Anyway, here's a pretty representative reel of him doing his thing against elite talent. BTW: You may recognize some of his opponents, including a soon-to-be UNC teammate.

I for one, hope alpha-dog shows up this year . .

It's funny this popped up now as I was just involved in a conversation Saturday with a coach telling some AAU stories, including one about the futility of trying to keep JB from going where he wanted to go and doing what he wanted to do on the court.
I know some folks wonder why I was/am so high on Berry. One reason is that among and against the best, he was the alpha dog.
Anyway, here's a pretty representative reel of him doing his thing against elite talent. BTW: You may recognize some of his opponents, including a soon-to-be UNC teammate.
He made Justin Jackson his woman on that one play haha.

I smile every time I think about Berry. I have my tickets to the opener in Annapolis, MD, about 30 minutes from my home.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
Very realistic and obtainable. If we can pull this one off, we'll be in great shape! We'd need a few of those guys to commit on good faith, however.

I think we get 3 of the 4 Dave mentions. But my prediction is for Woods rather than Smith.

Bam
Woods
Bradley
Markkanen

I can appreciate the vid, but it is in no way representative of what can be expected at the elite PG level at a high mafor D1 program. 1) it's against HS talent. Totally different from high major D1 competition. Joel is 5'11" on his best day and was playing against guys that weekend that were much smaller than even he is. He looks like he's 6'4" here. The guys he's playing against are nowhere the side and strength of high major D1 PG's. 2) There is minimal defense being played. 3) Have you seen Larry Drew's HS mixtape?

• JB must take control of the offense-penetrate and score(passing will come naturally)-the concept or trend that he defer to Paige..because its "his team" will cause him to hesitate-just play basketball..when Lawson asserted his skills it did not affect TH's game(he developed into reliable jump shooter too)..in high school h was the man-this is what I am looking for

Why not Smith also?...looks like state is our toughest competition for his services with all signs pointing to Jackson committing to dook tonight!!
State is your competition for Smith regardless of what happens tonight. Smith will not be coming to Duke.

I can appreciate the vid, but it is in no way representative of what can be expected at the elite PG level at a high mafor D1 program. 1) it's against HS talent. Totally different from high major D1 competition. Joel is 5'11" on his best day and was playing against guys that weekend that were much smaller than even he is. He looks like he's 6'4" here. The guys he's playing against are nowhere the side and strength of high major D1 PG's. 2) There is minimal defense being played. 3) Have you seen Larry Drew's HS mixtape?

Seriously? (and yes I saw Larry Drew's tapes... saw him live then, too).
It is representative because that's what he did consistently against top competition, no matter who they were. JB led his team to unprecedented AAU runs against the top guys who end up at UK and KU and dook, et al.
Yes, obviously there's only a glimpse or two on a highlight tape, but even there you see a team trying to put a 6'5 guy on him to stop his drives --- no good. Hell, there's one out there that shows Grayson Allen guarding (or I should say, attempting to guard) JB when their teams met in HS.
Of course highlight tapes are what they are (cue the Capt. Obvious commercial)... you can say that about anybody. Fair enough. Just trying to share something for people who might actually get it that shows his court control and presence. Again, ask the folks who had to coach against him. And BTW: Forget the HS highlight reels. Hell, If you can't see what we've got just from his performance down the stretch last season, well then I can't help you.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing. Larry Drew had the chops to be a damned good PG... he did fine at UCLA. Unfortunately, what the HS highlight reels didn't show was his propensity to have his head stuck up his ass, with his daddy kissing it along the way.

Reactions: GACMAN
If you can't see what we've got just from his performance down the stretch last season, well then I can't help you.

Bout all that was needed to be said. Can't wait myself to see this team HEALTHY and whipping some Donkey! (That ones for my bud shun!) :D

Reactions: shun1
Agree, although there's no guarantee Bam sees himself as multi-year at this point.

100% gurantee ya Bam does NOT see himself as a multi-year player right now but I doubt you will see any of the top 20 thinking they are multi-year guys. Really, the only part of Bam's game right now that could end up him coming back rather than being a lotto guy is his offense. Right now he is more a slam or stick back guy, needs to hone in a mid range jumper and a jump hook (both i understand are things he is working on hard).

Is it because of his injury or the other pg's committed?...including Jackson!!

Bur, from what I hear there was something DSJ just did not feel comfortable with concerning duke. I don't know what it was, maybe just a bad visit but the bloom has been off that rose for a while. The wuffies are the competition for this kid and it is to close for comfort honestly.

Duke hasn't really been in it for Smith for about a year now. Anytime he mentions Duke, it's just window dressing for his recruitment. Anytime a recruiting guy mentions Duke with Smith, it's just because of the so-called package deal of Tatum, Giles, and him, which isn't happening.

I've heard K backed off him due to off-the-court issues, and I've heard that Smith was turned off of Duke for some reason. Either way, he's not coming to Duke.

Remember that thing I mentioned last week about DSJr seeing some things he "didn't like" at some places?
One of those places was definitely dook. I'm thinking (hoping) the other one was in raleigh.

Also, K's loading up on guards is likely more of a reaction to reality and his normal M.O. than a deterrent to DSJr coming, if that makes sense.

BTW: Speaking of dook - Howz bout this for a scenario: What if (again, IF) Giles chooses Wake and Smith comes to Chapel Hill, and Bam chooses State (or preferably, UNC)..... and Ingram is indeed a one-and-done?.......
jes' puttin' that out there...;)

100% gurantee ya Bam does NOT see himself as a multi-year player right now but I doubt you will see any of the top 20 thinking they are multi-year guys. Really, the only part of Bam's game right now that could end up him coming back rather than being a lotto guy is his offense. Right now he is more a slam or stick back guy, needs to hone in a mid range jumper and a jump hook (both i understand are things he is working on hard).
Spot on, Dave. I was just being more, um... subtle ;).
Now, that said, would I like having Bam for a year? Heck yes. he's a beast on the offensive glass and has an NBA body. Instant factor.
Is it a shame he is likely one-and-done? Again, heck yes. Two or three years in our system to develop that offensive game would be good for all concerned... but alas........

BTW: Regardless of where Bam lands, I really, REALLY want Marlkannen.

Remember that thing I mentioned last week about DSJr seeing some things he "didn't like" at some places?
One of those places was definitely dook. I'm thinking (hoping) the other one was in raleigh.

Also, K's loading up on guards is likely more of a reaction to reality and his normal M.O. than a deterrent to DSJr coming, if that makes sense.

BTW: Speaking of dook - Howz bout this for a scenario: What if (again, IF) Giles chooses Wake and Smith comes to Chapel Hill, and Bam chooses State (or preferably, UNC)..... and Ingram is indeed a one-and-done?.......
jes' puttin' that out there...;)

K is bringing in a PG because he really only has one on his roster and it is 50/50 if Thorton plays more than just a single season.

IMO DSJ brings Bam where ever he goes and that looks like it will either be the wuffies or us. Giles to Wake actually would not surprise me at all, I think it is duke & Wake with us trailing but with a outside shot.

Tell you 2 things that would shock me, that would go against everything I have come to believe in and know.. First is Trump being elected president (granted, an upgrade from the guy that now has the gig) and second Ingram being one & done.

Reactions: UNC '92
I will try to resist the unsolicited and erroneous political idiocy and stick to bball here.

DSJr and Bam would be so good I would do cartwheels!

Agreed on the political stance, but I disagree on Ingram. He's gone after one year barring catastrophic injury. Will he be ready? I doubt it, but that's his plan.

I think we get 3 of the 4 Dave mentions. But my prediction is for Woods rather than Smith.

Bam
Woods
Bradley
Markkanen

This was my original prediction as well, but it seems many are getting more and more confident with Smith. I was hoping for a class of both, but I think it'll be one or the other. My hope is Smith, but I'd be happy with Woods as well.

This was my original prediction as well, but it seems many are getting more and more confident with Smith. I was hoping for a class of both, but I think it'll be one or the other. My hope is Smith, but I'd be happy with Woods as well.

DSJ would be outstanding! But Woods ain't no slouch, no way with what we have that we can get both. jmhho

DSJ would be outstanding! But Woods ain't no slouch, no way with what we have that we can get both. jmhho

I agree mikey, big factor as to why Woods has not committed to us. I LOVE Woods as a 2 guard, very athletic but could use some sharpening on his jump shot but IMO Rodney Purvis like. As PG I am not sold and as a PG exclusively he is no where near DSJ or Jackson or any of about 3 or 4 others. Kid would do himself a lot of good if he would (and more his family than him) stop being worried about what position he will play and just go play as best you can.

Reactions: gary-7
Woods reminds me more and more each day of Dextor Strickland.

Reactions: _B5
Keep this to basketball guys, we have OOTB for political crap.

The political comment was more about going against conventional logic and in both situations IMO they go against convention wisdom. Ingram is a rail thin 6'9" kid that feels like he can be a wing and even a 2. Now yeah, I have seen 6'9" kids more than able to play the 3 or the 2 but I darn sure do not see Durant or lebron in Ingram. IT reminds me of Henson coming in to us, he was sold on being a wing, do ya recall how that worked out for us? Yet before he got to us all the so called experts glowed about what a wonderful wing he would be.

Now me, I am more a conservative guy, I felt henson was a 4 well before he ever suited up for us, I think Ingram is a stretch 4 that will struggle until he fills his body out. I agree the kid is big time talented but he is not IMO going to load that team up and put them on his back to carry them until that body fills out. That my friends will take more than a single season IMO...

Speaking of duke, does anyone see their next Parker or Ochafor or Winslow on their team for the coming season? They don't even have to be freshmen, I am talking about that one player that everyone scratches their heads trying to figure out how to defend. Now they do have some jump shooting fire power for sure and their treys will be launched at a high rate but do you see the physical inside play guys that were all the difference for them last season? Cause...I don't...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT