ADVERTISEMENT

So . . . Whatja Grilling this Wknd . . . ?

We are having homecoming at church Sunday. Heading to cosco to buy the largest brisket they have. Will probably do a few butts as well. Will be a long night smoking this weekend

Getting aggressive this weekend. Cooking for 25 on Sunday. 10 lb of drumsticks and 15 lb of wings on the smoker, burgers and dogs on the charcoal. Gonna be some smoke in the air!

Reactions: heelmanwilm
You guys enjoy those cookouts . . . ! Hope the weather co-operates for ya.

This upcoming wknd here in NoVA has rain forecasted . . . if, I do any cooking outdoors, I just may have to do my grilling on Thursday or Friday

Thankfully I have an area attached to my shed for outdoor cooking. It's suppose to be 25 -30 mph gust and rain here that day as well.
On a side note, I am building a 35'x70' shed behind my house next month. Will be divided into 3 sections. Planning an outdoor kitchen in one of the sections. The other 2 sections will be tool shop and garage area for working on my boat and vehicles can't wait to get that project done. Hoping to have a nice thanksgiving in my new facility

Thankfully I have an area attached to my shed for outdoor cooking. It's suppose to be 25 -30 mph gust and rain here that day as well.
On a side note, I am building a 35'x70' shed behind my house next month. Will be divided into 3 sections. Planning an outdoor kitchen in one of the sections. The other 2 sections will be tool shop and garage area for working on my boat and vehicles can't wait to get that project done. Hoping to have a nice thanksgiving in my new facility

Wow, Gray . . . that sounds awesome. If, you get a chance to share some pics of that project, please do so.

Grilled more salmon, pork, and steak this past Sunday. I had been making my own marinades but tried this Moore's storebought stuff on the steak and it was pretty fantastic. I also used some Amish dry rub on the pork and it was pretty great as well. As Billy said, the salmon is just ridiculously easy and so good.

I will Billy. Working on a permit for this project. So it will be forthcoming over the next month or so

Im afraid my party is gonna get rained out too. I have a canopy to cook under, but no way to host for 25 peeps outdoors if its raining.
dagnabbit , Muskie!

Grilled pork chops Friday night. Too busy with the game Saturday and playing golf Sunday to cook out. Just wanted to BUMP a BillyL thread to the top.

I grilled some chicken breasts in a couple of different marinades and then a pork tenderloin.

Nothing, since I will be in Europe for the next 17 days. Ya'll pull the Heels thru while I'm gone.

Not sure about grilling but upland game season comes in here this weekend so I plan to have some quail and pheasant on the menu.

Got me a heavy-duty combo gas/charcoal grill for my birthday this week! Place here in Houston called Pitts & Spitts makes them...14 gauge carbon steel, hand welded....now what to grill this afternoon?...

Got me a heavy-duty combo gas/charcoal grill for my birthday this week! Place here in Houston called Pitts & Spitts makes them...14 gauge carbon steel, hand welded....now what to grill this afternoon?...

A belated 'Happy Birthday' to ya, JC . . !

Nice gift that you're gonna haveta enjoy there.

Hosted a Cinco de Mayo party at my house last weekend. I'm still enjoying the leftovers from the taco bar, including grilled chicken and steak.

I'm no grill master but it was a pretty good setup. The chicken was nothing fancy, just my standard Mexi-chicken: coat skinless breasts with olive oil, then dust them with Lawry's seasoned salt, McCormick seasoned pepper, and cumin. The method is fool proof...I should know.

I decided to get creative with the steak and made carne asada. After some research on the Interwebz, I landed on a list of approved ingredients for a marinade. I didn't measure anything. Just kept adding whatever I thought it needed until it tasted good. Here's the rundown:

- dried ancho chilies (blended into a puree in a Cuisinart with the wet ingredients)
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- lime juice
- orange juice
- garlic
- cumin
- salt

Gave the steaks about 5 hours to marinate while I was working on the rest of the party prep. Let me tell ya, that made for some very juicy and tender steak. The flavor was a little overpowering if you ate a slice of steak by itself, but perfect in a taco with all the other ingredients.

Oh, and my final discovery: I've been adding a slice of cooked bacon to each of the chicken taco leftovers I've made. Woooo boy that's some tasty stuff! Bacon really does make everything better.

Reactions: BillyL
Tonight's menu-pork chops.
ffdafa0e5d6c3de367a2705cf5f36968.jpg

Reactions: BillyL and gteeitup
Since I am stuck at home this weekend thanks to work, I'd like to hear from other Tar Heels who won't be at the game. What are you grilling, smoking or cooking this weekend?

For me, and due to popular demand, I'm going Texas style. The last 2 years I went with the NC style BBQ (pulled pork shoulders in eastern sauce) and while it was awesome, we lost. So this year we took a vote, and the overwhelming choice was for a Texas style get down. The menu is as follows:

Texas style Brisket (17 lbs) - I will start this bad boy about midnight Friday. At 225, it should be ready around 4 pm Saturday.
Sweet and hot sausages - Thrown on the smoker around noon and then thrown on the grill hot and fast 15 minutes before serving.
Texas style baked beans - Made with ground beef/bacon/BBQ sauce, onions, etc...
Twice baked potatoes - These things are awesome! Roll whole baking potato in olive oil and sea salt, bake 'em, cut 'em in half, scoop them out, beat in half and half, butter, carmelized onions and REAL cheddar cheese. Spoon back into empty shells. Then top with more cheddar and bake until melted.
Fried cabbage - Made with bacon grease, bacon and a touch of sugar.

So fat, fat and more fat! I'll be loving every minute of it!

Last edited:
^^^ That sounds awesome! I'm an amateur on the grill, but I think I might break out the smoker this weekend and see what I can cook up. The dogs are completely on board with this plan.
When you decide on the meat and if you want some prep help/rub ingredients, then let me know. Ribs are easy if you're just doing it for yourself. Depending on the type of rib you like it only takes up to 4 hours max in a smoker that keeps a relatively even temp. One rack is enough for you to eat large for a couple of days.

When you decide on the meat and if you want some prep help/rub ingredients, then let me know. Ribs are easy if you're just doing it for yourself. Depending on the type of rib you like it only takes up to 4 hours max in a smoker that keeps a relatively even temp. One rack is enough for you to eat large for a couple of days.
Talk to me about ribs. I've never made them before.

I have a dry rub my brother and his wife gave to all the guests at their wedding. Her family is from Texas. Haven't tried it yet either, no idea what's in it lol.

Talk to me about ribs. I've never made them before.

I have a dry rub my brother and his wife gave to all the guests at their wedding. Her family is from Texas. Haven't tried it yet either, no idea what's in it lol.
Let me know what's in the dry rub if it has the ingredients listed. Being that it came from Texas it's likely best suited for beef. I'll share some with you that's more geared to whichever rib you choose. Speaking of, what's your pleasure when it comes to the pork rib? Spare ribs or baby backs?

Baby Backs are easily the most popular because they are leaner and meatier than pork ribs since they are taken from the against the loin. They take about 3-4 hours to smoke depending on your preferred temp. I prefer the flavor of spare ribs. Since they are closer to the belly of the hog they have a sort of bacon flavor after they are smoked for awhile.

Spare Ribs:

St. Louis style is the popular type of spare rib for smoking. That's only because the rack is trimmed up and has had some bones removed. However, this means they remove the rib tips and that big flat muscle at the end of the rib. They do leave the membrane on the back of the rib so you are going to have to pull that off. Most people opt for this rib because they are lazy and don't like to trim the ribs.

My favorite spare ribs are the country style. It just the full spare rib rack with nothing else trimmed or removed. I love the way the smaller end where the rib tips and flat muscle get almost like crispy bacon after a nice long smoke. You'll have to do some trimming yourself to remove some hard fat spots as well as removing the membrane from the back of the rack. But to me it's worth it.

That's a start. Let me know what rib you want and what your dry rub is made of and we'll discuss sauces and other rub options.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I was able to grill up some wings last night. However, the weather in eastern NC is not great at the moment and probably getting worse so I'm not sure what I'll be able to cook yet. Hopefully, the weather will be better by tomorrow night.

I was able to grill up some wings last night. However, the weather in eastern NC is not great at the moment and probably getting worse so I'm not sure what I'll be able to cook yet. Hopefully, the weather will be better by tomorrow night.
Hope ur weather is better there than in SC doesn't look like their is gonna be any grilling here

You da man! I skimmed through your instruction manual, haha. Will read it again this evening and let you know what questions I have. Thanks for all the info.
Haha yeah, I tried not to make it too long, but found it difficult as leaving out even the slightest of detail could yield less than a perfect cook. Those optionals are just that, but the tight foiling and setting in a cooler or wrapping in a towel is something I would not skip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT