ADVERTISEMENT

So . . . Whatja Grilling this Wknd . . . ?

Paul_Henreid_and_Humphrey_Bogart_in_Casablanca_trailer.jpg

Haha yeah, I tried not to make it too long, but found it difficult as leaving out even the slightest of detail could yield less than a perfect cook. Those optionals are just that, but the tight foiling and setting in a cooler or wrapping in a towel is something I would not skip.
Alright, my friend. Bought some St. Louis style spare ribs on the way home tonight (didn't see any country style). I've got all the recommended ingredients on hand and will get the smoker going tomorrow afternoon while watching college ball.

The only questions I have are about the cooler. You're talking about a room temperature cooler, not one with ice in it, correct? And I assume the cooler should be topped/closed once the meat is inside? What's the purpose of this step? Is it letting the meat rest, or a continuation of the cooking process, or what?

Can't wait to get cooking tomorrow! Thanks again for the advice. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Reactions: BillyL
Alright, my friend. Bought some St. Louis style spare ribs on the way home tonight (didn't see any country style). I've got all the recommended ingredients on hand and will get the smoker going tomorrow afternoon while watching college ball.

The only questions I have are about the cooler. You're talking about a room temperature cooler, not one with ice in it, correct? And I assume the cooler should be topped/closed once the meat is inside? What's the purpose of this step? Is it letting the meat rest, or a continuation of the cooking process, or what?

Can't wait to get cooking tomorrow! Thanks again for the advice. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.
Yes, just an empty cooler. And yes, you close it once the meat is inside. This step helps with the further softening and breakdown of collagens. And it keeps the ribs until your ready to serve. Which for me is definitely a few drinks later. After you pull the ribs from the cooler, and/or if you decide to take the optional step of searing the ribs, you will let the ribs rest for about 5 minutes or so before slicing.

Welp, since we aren't going anywhere 'til Monday we decided to "tailgate" at the club house today and show the game on the big screen. Put 6 butts on the smoker at 5 this AM. We've got ribs and brats ready to go and waiting, along with a half a box of chicken we picked up this morning marinating. Going to be a good day methinks, followed by an even better evening!

I'm an early riser by necessity so it's no problem. Besides, I don't trust anyone else when it comes to BBQ.

I hope the weather is as beautiful where you are as it is here in Charlotte. I've got the windows open for the first time since June. Couldn't ask for a better first Saturday of college football.

The household 6 and I were just sitting outside loving the weather over coffee. Still wet and a tad breezy but no rain. By noon it's supposed to be beautiful here as well. I must admit I'm getting kinda stoked about the game. Nothing like a football Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyL and UNC '92
First thing I did. Watched a quick YouTube video that showed how to get an edge with a dull knife, then pull the rest away with a paper towel. Worked like a charm.
Yes I do it the same way. Is too slippery to just go bare handed.

I gotta tell you, that dry rub smelled so good I was tempted to try a spoonful. LOL. Had enough left over to do another rack, probably. Bagged it, tagged it.

Put the ribs in the smoker about 45 minutes ago and hoooo boy they're already making the neighbors jealous. Hope I get to enjoy them as part of a celebratory meal after the Heels whip some Bulldog ass tonight.

I gotta tell you, that dry rub smelled so good I was tempted to try a spoonful. LOL. Had enough left over to do another rack, probably. Bagged it, tagged it.

Put the ribs in the smoker about 45 minutes ago and hoooo boy they're already making the neighbors jealous. Hope I get to enjoy them as part of a celebratory meal after the Heels whip some Bulldog ass tonight.
Rib report?

Rib report?
Oops, forgot to take a picture of the finished product. Pretty darned delicious. Might be a little too sweet for my liking, but the texture and other flavors were excellent. Great first run and I'm excited I have enough leftovers for two more meals, maybe three. Would've been more but I was depressed about the game and ate more than I should have, haha.

I'm grilling spareribs with Amish Cajun seasoning and Famous Dave's, steak with the Cajun seasoning and some Weber dry seasoning I found in the pantry, and some bacon wrapped pork medallions.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Also, I'm considering cutting out as much sugar as possible. Anyone ever done this and if so what were the results?

Grilling steaks and portebello mushrooms on the old skool Weber charcoal grill tonight.

Oops, forgot to take a picture of the finished product. Pretty darned delicious. Might be a little too sweet for my liking, but the texture and other flavors were excellent. Great first run and I'm excited I have enough leftovers for two more meals, maybe three. Would've been more but I was depressed about the game and ate more than I should have, haha.

Also, I'm considering cutting out as much sugar as possible. Anyone ever done this and if so what were the results?

I sometimes cut the sugars and salts but you will lose some of the texture you get and enjoy from the smoking process. Pretty much sugar and salts bonding with oil (natural or applied) and heat are what gets that bark the way we love.

I sometimes cut the sugars and salts but you will lose some of the texture you get and enjoy from the smoking process. Pretty much sugar and salts bonding with oil (natural or applied) and heat are what gets that bark the way we love.
Yeah, I'm wondering if I didn't maintain the heat at a high enough temperature. Or maybe I applied the rub too liberally. Still a solid first run and I'm no longer a rib virgin. Here's to round two!

Yeah, I'm wondering if I didn't maintain the heat at a high enough temperature. Or maybe I applied the rub too liberally. Still a solid first run and I'm no longer a rib virgin. Here's to round two!
Did you foil and put them in a cooler or eat right from the smoker? It's possible to over apply rub with ribs since they are thinner than most meats we smoke. It's why I like to do that finishing on a high heat grill for a minute or two after I take them out of the cooler. Gives them a little more caramelization.

Did you foil and put them in a cooler or eat right from the smoker? It's possible with ribs since they are thinner than most meats we smoke. It's why I like to do that finishing on a high heat grill for a minute or two after I take them out of the cooler. Gives them a little more caramelization.
I put them in foil between the 3rd and 4th quarter, then ate them after the game. But no, I never threw them on the grill so maybe I'll try that next time. Also skipped the mop sauce since I wanted to try the unadulterated version.

I put them in foil between the 3rd and 4th quarter, then ate them after the game. But no, I never threw them on the grill so maybe I'll try that next time. Also skipped the mop sauce since I wanted to try the unadulterated version.
Yeah I only use the mop for the finishing part on high heat. Otherwise you don't need a mop for those ribs unless you just prefer ribs saucy. I like to serve them dry and let folks chose whether they want sauce or not.

Billy, I roasted oysters last night. Slow roasted over an oak fire. Home ground cornmeal to make cornbread. OMG.

I'll bet that meal was deeelish . . just the cornbread alone has my mouth watering.

My wife and son gave me a Green Egg for father's day, and I haven't used it as of yet, but, am hoping to this weekend with some ribs. The wknd weather is suppose to be nice here so I'm looking forward to baptizing that sucka . .

I'll bet that meal was deeelish . . just the cornbread alone has my mouth watering.

My wife and son gave me a Green Egg for father's day, and I haven't used it as of yet, but, am hoping to this weekend with some ribs. The wknd weather is suppose to be nice here so I'm looking forward to baptizing that sucka . .
I have looked at them before. Since I do all my slow cook grilling on a traeger pellet cooker, it's hard to justify purchasing an egg. I have a decent weber for steaks.
Let me know how that turns out.

Pheasant and quail season opens here this weekend so I am sure that although it will not be grilled I will be have some fresh fried quail and pheasant this week end!

You're gonna love the egg. I have the Char. Griller Akorn, not ceramic but insulated metal. Cooks some ribs and butts like a champ. The best thing is being able to really control the temp. The key is how you light your fire. You don't involve all the charcoal at once as you do in regular grilling.

How did that turn out?
Better than last time for sure. Used slightly higher heat, which carmelized the sugar and got the edges a little crispy. Gonna be enough for 4 dinners, and of course the dogs got a taste, too.

I about lost my mind yesterday looking for the recipe/instructions you sent me. Can't find them anywhere. Weird because I'm pretty organized and thought I would've saved an electronic version with the rest of my recipes. I know I originally printed them to shop for ingredients, and had them sitting on the counter as I made the rub and prepped the ribs. Anyway, I still had plenty of rub left over to use yesterday but would you mind resending if you still have them handy? Thanks.

Ribs . . chicken . . burgers/dogs . . more ribs . . chops . . ?

I picked up a few flat iron steaks, I may marinate them overnight and grill tomorrow . . my son says he wants burgers tonight, the wife is at Smith Mtn. Lake visiting a sister . . it's a quiet, but, slow wknd here in NoVa.

I may brine some chicken instead of marinating . . . anyone else a fan of brining . . ? I like brining thick cut pork chops . .

I'm in need of a new Turkey Fryer . . may go look at a couple tomorrow, some nice stainless steel ones out there that aren't too terribly expensive.

This post was edited on 11/9 10:03 AM by BillyL
Roasted $hillary!

Better than last time for sure. Used slightly higher heat, which carmelized the sugar and got the edges a little crispy. Gonna be enough for 4 dinners, and of course the dogs got a taste, too.

I about lost my mind yesterday looking for the recipe/instructions you sent me. Can't find them anywhere. Weird because I'm pretty organized and thought I would've saved an electronic version with the rest of my recipes. I know I originally printed them to shop for ingredients, and had them sitting on the counter as I made the rub and prepped the ribs. Anyway, I still had plenty of rub left over to use yesterday but would you mind resending if you still have them handy? Thanks.

I'm sure it was tasty. As you know I do them slower but then I carmelize real fast on a hot grill with a sauce I make to get that crispness on the top and sides. It's cheating, but it allows me to detach myself from the smoker and do other things rather than baby it to maintain 300. What temp did you take it up to? Are you getting the doneness and amount of smoke where you like it? Those ribs got a decent amount of smoke ring in the meat?

I will get you the rub recipe/instructions shortly.

I'm sure it was tasty. As you know I do them slower but then I carmelize real fast on a hot grill with a sauce I make to get that crispness on the top and sides. It's cheating, but it allows me to detach myself from the smoker and do other things rather than baby it to maintain 300. What temp did you take it up to? Are you getting the doneness and amount of smoke where you like it? Those ribs got a decent amount of smoke ring in the meat?

I will get you the rub recipe/instructions shortly.
Maybe this is terrible of me, but I'm reluctant to transfer to a hot grill because it means one more mess to clean up. Haha. I think I topped out around 280 degrees. Definitely pleased with the doneness, maaaaybe could use a little more smoke but pretty satisfied with the current results. I'm sure the more ribs I smoke, the more particular I'll become about the details.

Got them, thanks. I don't see the original version in that account, nor is it in my deleted items. Just weird.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT