ADVERTISEMENT

The Grad Transfer Thread

introducing me to this guy is better than half the Topics we have up now Dadika...

No it isn’t. We have topics on Pierce, Tucker, Harris, Cole, etc on the front page. All guys we have or had realistic shots at landing.

This kid has zero UNC interest and why aren’t there threads on the top 26 transfers also? This is pointless.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Looking at his history, he started at BYU then transferred to Utah Valley.

His second year at BYU he only played 9 games, so presumably a redshirt year. Then sat out a year for the transfer.

Why does he have a year of eligibility left? Is it because he's grad? Why would that change anything.

I'm thinking of Terry Henderson at State who was denied a 6th year with basically the same trajectory. (Henderson was injured in his first game at State after sitting out his transfer year and then missed that whole year due to injury - but the NCAA wouldn't let him play what would have been his 4th season.)

So here's the question.... Would you rather spend the scholarship on Harris (or someone like him) or on one of the grad transfers we are looking at - or save it for the 2020 class?

I would take Harris for sure. He is a 4 year guy, that could be a glue type player like Kwill. I would love Cole, Harris, Pierce and Keeling

Reactions: Heelz Kitchen
So here's the question.... Would you rather spend the scholarship on Harris (or someone like him) or on one of the grad transfers we are looking at - or save it for the 2020 class?

Kinda thought I answered that in my reply, kid has a lot of Kenny Williams in his game, rangy lock down defender that is working on his streaky jump shooting, yeah, I take him. I would not expect a ton from him as a frosh, maybe situational but not a lot, but solid 4yr guy from all I can tell.

Reactions: dadenew
No it isn’t. We have topics on Pierce, Tucker, Harris, Cole, etc on the front page. All guys we have or had realistic shots at landing.

This kid has zero UNC interest and why aren’t there threads on the top 26 transfers also? This is pointless.
Didn't we have a thread specifically for grad transfers at one point? I would think combining these threads into one thread would solve the problem. There wouldn't be multiple threads, but we could still talk about grad transfers.

ETA: Here's the thread I was talking about.

https://northcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-grad-transfer-thread.69139/

Reactions: Archer2
Right. We'd like him but we have other prospects we also like and (probably) no more than 2 scholarships to give.

Huh? Guys we have 4 open scholarships. Four! There's plenty of room. It'd be a shame if we can only get two more quality guys.

I think the only reason Cole hasn't committed is because we need to add more talent. For my money we need two of Utomi/Pierce/Achiuwa/Tucker/Keeling. Any two and we shore up our wing depth and Cole is probably ours as the team looks much better.

We could take three plus Cole but that's probably too many grad transfers, they wouldn't get enough playing time. I think the final spot should be used (if possible) on someone like Anthony Harris that could contribute in future seasons, as we're set to have 6-7 open scholarships for 2020 right now.

Take both. We need the grad transfers plus long term guys. Still room for Cole and someone else.

Reactions: Archer2
I like what I have seen from him a lot, I think he is a better jump shooter than Theo was, not as athletic but few are. Isn't he like Cam, 2yrs of eligibility rather than just 1?
No, just one year of eligibility remaining.

Last year, UNC recruited grad transfer Jack Whitman from William and Mary. He signed with Kansas, but left campus after only a few days. I've asked my Kansas friends what happened to him. They don't know and nothing on Google. Anybody out there know what happened to Jack Whitman?

Thanks for your informative and hospitable posts, Danika13! I didn't know that there was a ranking of grad transfers on ESPN. Most helpful! Tucker is ranked #1, Pierce#4, Keeling #6, Ironic #22 and Toolson is #27, which seems low for a conference player of the year with premier shooting statistics!

Just seen it on TOS
Without reading the rest of the thread, what needs to be noted here is that Tucker was originally recruited by now-Auburn Asst. Wes Flanigan (when he was HC at Little Rock), and they have an excellent relationship, and sure enough an OV has been set up for Auburn. Tucker is understandably testing the NBA waters, but if he stays in college Auburn has a very good shot at him.

Wow. I’ll just leave it at that.
It might behoove folks to remember that putting your name in the draft is not permanent until the cut-off date passes or an agent is hired. Many players (including members of our 09 championship team) tested the waters and came back.

Gary, Auburn was pretty deep last year. How much depth returns next year? Any chance of the player who injured his ACL playing next year?

I agree that adding at least two players other than Cole Anthony is most ideal, but I don't think any of those guys you mention are likely to commit between now and Saturday, which is when Anthony is supposed to announce. I doubt that Carolina's 2019-20 roster will be any more set then than it is now, but I'm trying to remain optimistic that Anthony commits, then the Heels add two grad transfers.
He's not committing on 4/20. He has no set announcement date, and on a recent Instagram AMA when asked what the date will be he said "I have no idea". I'd hazard a guess that he's waiting to see if we can add a couple good guys.

Take both. We need the grad transfers plus long term guys. Still room for Cole and someone else.

....you do not need to save scholarships every year. Odds are that by this time next year someone will have a great season, that we're maybe not expecting to, and that person will put their name in the draft process. Can not say it enough but ships happen...

He's not committing on 4/20. He has no set announcement date, and on a recent Instagram AMA when asked what the date will be he said "I have no idea". I'd hazard a guess that he's waiting to see if we can add a couple good guys.

This may be true, but I believe he is smart enough to know if he commits the likelihood of some good players getting onboard increases significantly.

Gary, Auburn was pretty deep last year. How much depth returns next year? Any chance of the player who injured his ACL playing next year?
Chuma Okeke is more than likely returning and the time-table now is right after Xmas.

They do lose their starting backcourt (unless Harper opts out of the draft), Dunbar and Spencer. Big Wiley is having thumb surgery and will likely return, as will Purifoy and the little backup PG (who abused us) as well.

They have a small but strong class coming in headlined by Okoro (a 3) So their immediate need is at SG (thus the interest in Tucker), and perhaps another PG if Harper stays in the draft.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Thanks, Gary! I've enjoyed reading your posts for several months. Very well written and informative. I am flabbergasted at the abusive comments directed toward you. I suspect that you have many silent supporters like me!

It's wasted breath for some people who do nothing but bemoan over recruiting. It doesn't matter that Roy has delivered more than anyone could ever have reasonably expected. It doesn't matter that they have no real idea what is actually taking place. It doesn't matter that Roy has a career .788 winning percentage since 1988 and knows more about coaching then they do about most anything.

that-people-enjoy-life-and-stop-bitching-about-everything-5028908.png

Roy also has 23,951 'time-outs' on deposit for whenever he feels the need to use them.

;););)

Huge!!! Texas A&M will be tough to beat. Roy must pour his heart and soul into landing Blackshear!

Interesting. I think our frontcourt already looks decent next year. Blackshear would add depth at the 4, which will be needed.

Reactions: TheGLOV
We better or we Have Wake Forest Talent lol

I know....that's what scares me. We literally have to land Cole no matter what. There's no other point guards in the portal. There's a bunch of combo guards but not sure they can be fill the voids we need while playing point and trying to score with little scoring support at other guard positions based on what we return. Cole is a must, and then we must land at least 2 out of this bunch: Precious, Utomi, Pierce, Tucker

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT