ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball

St. John has a tough team, and was a tough out. This is the same team which beat Conn., this year in the Big East, if my memory is accurate?

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Unfortunately this team suffered a lot of injuries to starters this year, which probably had them as a 6th seed in lieu of a 4 seed where they would have had two games at home instead of on the road. Most all of the players will be back next season, hoping that the freshman from this year will improve (Keys, Paris and McPherson) along with a good incoming freshman class. One thing which is missing is a robust rebounder for this team, only Ustby is considered a premier rebounder.

The end of the season what anyone had hoped for but to my knowledge pretty much the whole team, not 100% sure on Hodgson, can return to go along with a very highly ranked recruiting class, 2 of which were recently named the Gatorade player of the year in their respective states to go along with another 4* and a 5*( who I believe was ranked the #3 overall player in the class)…

Reactions: tarheel0910
The end of the season what anyone had hoped for but to my knowledge pretty much the whole team, not 100% sure on Hodgson, can return to go along with a very highly ranked recruiting class, 2 of which were recently named the Gatorade player of the year in their respective states to go along with another 4* and a 5*( who I believe was ranked the #3 overall player in the class)…
I think it's safe to say the trajectory of the women's program is better than the men's.

Until today--two big transfer announcements. Kennedy Todd-Williams was the shocker and Destiny Adams was the surprise. Anyone with more knowledge than me have any ideas of what happened?

Really surprise with Williams, she has stated many times that when she was in high school she knew where she wanted to go to college even before being offered a scholarship. On Destiny Adams, she had some flaws which were being foul prone, and defensive liabilities. Yet she was given ample playing time this year to improve, maybe it's more of being homesick for her? Wishing both of them success in their future endeavors.

Reactions: JohnGwaltney
Honestly, I wasn’t expecting anyone to leave. You just never know these days.
Was fortunate to watch a lot of the women games this season, and it was apparent that some things which stood out to me. (1) The team was turnover prone, with most of them being self induced. (2) Lack of shooters who could make basket, or the tough shot when needed. (3) Rebounding was another weakness on this team, since they were weak in boxing out. My point is that I noticed the expressions on Banghart's face a lot this season, and you could see the displeasure during a lot of the games. Inclined to believe that the players who decided to enter the portal was due to some constructed criticism from the coach?

John wanted to express my gratitude on the outstanding job which you do on this board. Information is top notch, and we appreciate it. Question, based upon Williams and Adams going into the portal do you believe that Banghart will be bring in a couple of players from the portal? What do you think of Kiki Jefferson a 6 feet one inch senior guard from James Madison? She was Sun Belt player of the year, and she scored 30 points against Carolina earlier this season. Do you believe that this would be a player which Banghart would pursue to fill the slot left by KTW?

Thanks for the kind words! I'm far from an expert on women's basketball recruiting but if I were the coach my eye would always be on the portal. You never know who you could bring in. Of course, I also still prefer the usual route of bringing in high school kids. I think you have to find a balance because as we have seen this year, you never know who is looking to leave your school or another school.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Was I the only one surprised at how fast Kennedy Todd Williams ended up t Ole Miss? Wonder if a deal had been cooking before? Her statement mentioned the opportunity to take care of her family. Hated to see her leave as she was our favorite.

Was I the only one surprised at how fast Kennedy Todd Williams ended up t Ole Miss? Wonder if a deal had been cooking before? Her statement mentioned the opportunity to take care of her family. Hated to see her leave as she was our favorite.
In a lot of cases these players in all sports have an idea where they are headed before it becomes public that they are in the Transfer Portal

Will be watching Kennedy Todd Williams next season, and wishing her success with her new school. Enjoyed watching her play at Carolina, she had some good games, yet some which left you wondering.

Will be watching Kennedy Todd Williams next season, and wishing her success with her new school. Enjoyed watching her play at Carolina, she had some good games, yet some which left you wondering.
My daughter goes to Ole Miss so might have to plan a trip now during basketball season as well to visit

That's one of the players which I had hope that Banghart would reach out to. Her defense and rebounding is something that Poole was unable to provide in the post. Granted Poole best position is probably power forward, which she needs to develop a better perimeter game over the summer. Still wish she would reach out to Kiki Jefferson at James Madison, 6-1 inch senior guard. She's the one who torched Carolina for over 30 points this past season, she has all the intangible that would make her a mega star in Carolina system. Even if it's only for one year.

That's nice, should assist in recruiting along with Banghart's approach to coaching. May be off base here but it would not surprise me to finally see our women's team reach the final four next season. They are that close to making an impact, just one or two players away from reaching that goal.

Banghart just hit a homerun in portal yesterday. Lexi Donaeski from Iowa St. Shooter and top defender in Big 12. Good leaders as well. I loved Todd Williams but I think UNC upgraded here. Banghart addressed 2 biggest needs and portal. On paper this team could be scary good- and good depth. I felt last year we ran out of gas near end of year from starters (the big 3) playing so many minutes. It had to hurt shooting percentage).

Now the challenge is chemistry and playing time but with Banghart at helm I'm not worried. Go Heels!

That's a nice pickup indeed, she has two years of eligibility remaining. Needed that with VT reloading in the portal as well, going to be a competitive upcoming season in women's basketball. Agree with you on Todd Williams, as I mentioned in a post earlier she had some good games, and yet she has some where she had numerous turnovers. Some of them were head scratchers, as though she was disinterested, or disengaged. Really do believe she gave her best effort, but maybe she was not as talent as what Banghart needed at her spot. She will always be a Tar Heel!

Banghart and Company just picked up another transfer- 5-foot-10 guard Indya Nivar from Stanford, she announced on Sunday, and she will have three years of eligibility at UNC. She's from Apex, NC I believe and it came down to NC State and us. She was a top 20 recruit. I love the talent that is being assembled- I just hope there is enough playing time to keep everyone happy.

Banghart and Company just picked up another transfer- 5-foot-10 guard Indya Nivar from Stanford, she announced on Sunday, and she will have three years of eligibility at UNC. She's from Apex, NC I believe and it came down to NC State and us. She was a top 20 recruit. I love the talent that is being assembled- I just hope there is enough playing time to keep everyone happy.
My concerns about enough playing time as well, but Banghart has shown that she goes deep into her bench on trying to keep players fresh on the court. There are some really good players in the state of NC., in 2024 not sure where Carolina stands with them? Sarah Strong, Blanca Thomas, Zamareya Jones and Hobbs are some of the top rated players in the state.

My concerns about enough playing time as well, but Banghart has shown that she goes deep into her bench on trying to keep players fresh on the court. There are some really good players in the state of NC., in 2024 not sure where Carolina stands with them? Sarah Strong, Blanca Thomas, Zamareya Jones and Hobbs are some of the top rated players in the state.
Yes 2024 is loaded. I believe we have 1 player committed at this point but how many scholarships will be available? Banghart probably has an idea but doesn't know for sure with this group of seniors having the option for another year if they wanted. If I'm correct, even the transfers have at least 2 or 3 years left if they choose. Will be interesting to see how things unfold but as several of us have mentioned- no need to doubt Banghart. She seems to know what she's doing!

Truly believe this is well deserved, looking forward to big things over the coming years from the women's basketball team. The enthusiasm surrounding the women's program at UNC is growing each and every year, pretty sure they will be drawing the crowds which we see at some of the top university of women's college basketball. Congratulations Banghart!

Nothing against KTW departing , but I believe this to be an upgrade. KTW will be appreciated for the 3 years of dedication and hard work which she brought to the team, but she had reached her upside. Happen to notice a decline in her play from her sophomore year versus her junior year, not sure what caused it, but it was apparent. Wishing that she finds the fire, desire, and success at Ole Miss that was missing last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT