ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball

Wow! That's a very demanding schedule for this season, will be a gage on what we can expect from this team this upcoming season. Really hope they will be able to improve their rebounding since that was an weak spot this past season, along with 3 point shooting. Do believe some of the transfers will be a welcome addition in these areas.

With the success that Banghart is having with the women's basketball team, expect to see some sell out games this coming season. This could be the year that they challenge for the ACC regular season crown, and the tournament championship.

Reactions: JohnGwaltney
Getting ready for Women to open the season tomorrow night as well at “Live Action” but just read where 2 of the highly rated freshman recruits will redshirt this coming season…

The most logical ones to redshirt would be Rylee Grays and Laila Hull, do not foresee Toomey or Kelly redshirting, but could be wrong.

The most logical ones to redshirt would be Rylee Grays and Laila Hull, do not foresee Toomey or Kelly redshirting, but could be wrong.
After reading further Hull and Toomey both reviving from injuries and surgery still… Article stated Toomey actually had torn her ACL and missed most of her senior season up in Pennsylvania

After reading further Hull and Toomey both reviving from injuries and surgery still… Article stated Toomey actually had torn her ACL and missed most of her senior season up in Pennsylvania
That is true about Toomey knew she was out for a substantial period of time with the ACL, figured she had completed her comeback from that, and maybe she's not 100 per cent ready? Thought Grays would be redshirting due to the players which are now in the front court, since it's overcrowded with the transfers, and returning players.

Just read where Carolina women have a full roster of 15 players, which it mad sense for Toomey and Hull to work on their rehabilitation. Thought for sure that Toomey had surgery earlier than this summer, now it makes sense. Hull has been having issues with her shoulder during her senior year in HS, wishing them both a full and speedy recovery.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
The women looked impressive last night. Keys looked like she made great progress over the summer. The transfers all will add significantly. Looks like at least 2 if not 3 deep at most positions.

They will be tested early this season with games against South Carolina and UConn., Expect them to drop these two games before heading into ACC play. By the way they had a tough draw in the SEC and ACC challenge by drawing South Carolina. Still have one more tough game against Indiana as well. Hope this will finally be the year which they can contend for the regular season and the ACC tournament titles.
Also, been waiting for Keys to come into her own, she was one of the most highly recruited players in the country out of high school.

Will be watching Todd Williams and Adams as the season progresses to see how they fit in with their new teams. Hated to lose both of them, but believe an upgrade was made with the portal players, and the existing players improving.

Will be watching Todd Williams and Adams as the season progresses to see how they fit in with their new teams. Hated to lose both of them, but believe an upgrade was made with the portal players, and the existing players improving.
My daughter goes to Ole Miss, was in Oxford for their Square Jam(their version of Live Action) and KTW got one of the loudest ovations… Will pull for her and Rebels unless they see UNC in the NCAA

Will be pulling for Destiny Adams at Rutgers as well, she has a lot of potentials, just wanted to play more minutes. In addition to Rutgers being closer to home so her family could see her play. KTW will always be a UNC favorite, she came in and gave everything she had to the program. Wishing them both the best this season. Congrats on your daughter going to Ole Miss.

I just saw on twitter where the women played preseason #3/#4 UCLA (based on where you look) to a good battle. Loss by a few. I'm sure with all the new parts, Banghart is trying to figure out combos and playing time. They may have a deeper bench than the men even.

They have a lot of good players returning, and some top notch portal transfers. You are correct the bench will be deeper than the men currently. Expecting some tough early season games against some of the top teams in the country. This is going to assist them as the year progresses, and they may be a tough out come ACC Tournament time.

Watch the women's team play Davidson on Sunday, it was a hard fought game which the ladies won 74 to 70. Observed a lot of things which could be a concern going forward, but I trust Banghart to rectify them before they get into the tough part of their schedule. Some examples were rebounding, interior defense, and FT shooting. Maybe this was an off game for the ladies team, and they will regroup and learn from it.

Reactions: tmatheny
Watch the women's team play Davidson on Sunday, it was a hard fought game which the ladies won 74 to 70. Observed a lot of things which could be a concern going forward, but I trust Banghart to rectify them before they get into the tough part of their schedule. Some examples were rebounding, interior defense, and FT shooting. Maybe this was an off game for the ladies team, and they will regroup and learn from it.
Was there are well. Agreed with alot of what you are saying. I do think getting people healthy will help some of the issues- they didn't know until that morning that Poole wouldn't play so moving Utsby to the 5 and having Nivar play the 4 which she never has done didn't help. Clutch FT shooting was non existent. I do give Davidson props though- they are one of the best mid majors around and do a great job of pulling post to perimeter to have to defend 5 shooters. Watch for them to make a name for themselves this season.

Interesting point about Davidson they do have some elite shooters in their lineup, and they were able to take advantage of UNC guards to a degree. Waiting to see how Davidson fare against Duke, believe that game is tonight. If they play with the intensity they did against UNC, they may pull out a win against Duke.

(1.) Keeping up with the transfers just noticed that Destiny Adams at Rutgers is averaging 15.3 points a game, 11.3 rebound, 2 assist and field goal percentage of 49%. Averaging 29 minutes per game.
(2.) Kennedy Todd Williams at Ole Miss is averaging 8.7 points a game, 5.0 rebounds, 0.7 assist, and field goal percentage of 32.1%, and 3 point shooting percentage of 28.6 % through 3 games. Averaging 24.3 minutes per game.

Guess Davidson prove they will be a team to be reckon with this season, as they beat Duke in Durham 69-62. Guess the close win over Davidson by the Carolina women was well earned, and was not a fluke.

Lady women won their first game of their tournament against Vermont, 54 to 51. They trailed most of the game going into the fourth quarter. Kelly was able to ignite the team in the final quarter, but as a team they did not play very well. Shooting from the field was terrible, and three point shooting was probably around 20%. Then to make matters worse they shot 12-26 from the FT line. This type of performance if duplicated against Kansas State will result in a beatdown for the women's team. Hopefully, they will play better since it's impossible to play any worse.

Lady women won their first game of their tournament against Vermont, 54 to 51. They trailed most of the game going into the fourth quarter. Kelly was able to ignite the team in the final quarter, but as a team they did not play very well. Shooting from the field was terrible, and three point shooting was probably around 20%. Then to make matters worse they shot 12-26 from the FT line. This type of performance if duplicated against Kansas State will result in a beatdown for the women's team. Hopefully, they will play better since it's impossible to play any worse.
And they have South Carolina this week!

Well the women's basketball team did not fare so well against Kansas State. Thought this was going to be a very good team, but with some injuries and transfers they seem to be reeling. Not sure what Banghart will be able to accomplish with this team, but it could be a long season. Some of the issues are still appearing which was obvious last year, rebounding and shooting. Stats against Kansas State were not good, even though they only lost by 7 points.
(1.) FG - 37.1 %
(2.) 3 point FG - 10%
(3.) FT - 61.5 %
(4.) Out rebounded 46 - 25

Final Score Kansas State - 63 to 56.

The women's team lost their second game in two days in Florida. They lost 65 to 64 to FGCU in the consolation game. They did shoot better from the field and only took 5 three pointers, making 2 of them. They shot 51.2% from the field for the game, and made 20 of 29 free throws for 69.0%. Just went scoreless with 3:00 minutes left in the game where FGCU outscored them by 4. Next up is South Carolina, this will probably be a 3 game losing steak for the women's team. This team does not have enough scorers to win on a consistent basis, only had two players in double digits scoring against FGCU, Kelly and Gakdeng. Not sure what's up with Ustby this season she has been struggling, along with the other two transfers who are struggling as well.

• Wow
Well the women's team has top rank South Carolina coming to town tonight as part of the ACC, SEC basketball challenge. Still do not understand how the women drew South Carolina in this game. But if they do not shot better than they have been from the three point line, this will turn out to be an ugly game on their behalf. We do not have the talent level which South Carolina has, and their 6'6" center a transfer from Syracuse is going to abuse us on the boards and in the lane with her shot blocking ability. Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worse.

A great 1st quarter where UNc jumped out to 19-10 lead but SC dominated the 2nd and 3rd… Heels hang tough but eventually fall 65-58

They played hard, just did not make enough shots when they needed to. Need to have a more balance attack, with Kelly and Ustby only scoring in double figures. The team as a whole only shot 31.3% from the field, only 19.0% from the 3 point line, but the amazing part of their game was they outrebounded a much taller South Carolina team 45 to 39. Lexi Donarski has to shot a better percentage, she was only 3-13 from the field, this is followed up by notorious shooting performance against Kansas State and FGCU. This team need some outside shooter, not sure what's happening with Paulina Paris, but it would not surprise me if she transfers out after this season.

Yea, that disappointed me that Paulina didn't play much. Last year, I thought she'd end up being a key player this season. No doubt, I'm worried that she'll transfer.

Yea, that disappointed me that Paulina didn't play much. Last year, I thought she'd end up being a key player this season. No doubt, I'm worried that she'll transfer.
She was planning on departing with Adams, KTW last season, but from my understanding she was talked out of it by Banghart.

Well it's game day for the women's team as they take on UCONN women today. Going to be an interesting game, thought Banghart made a good move by inserting Poole in the starting lineup as a power forward their last game. This helped the team in rebounding which was one of their weakness. The other weakness continues to be poor shooting from the outside, still miss way too many 3's. Kelly has not been shooting them well, her best game has been when she drives and pull up for a jumper.

From what I had time to watch this evening this group plays hard but they go through way too many spurts where it seems they can’t do anything right(Missed shots, TO’s and giving up offensive rebounds)..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT