ADVERTISEMENT

ZEKE NNAJI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only positive is that he can't officially sign until spring. So there's still a chance that Zona will get exposed for the frauds they are in the next few months.

Recruiting has been sub-par for several years with the 2017 class being by far the worst. And now we have a surefire lottery pick and we bring him off the bench for 20 mpg. Negative recruiting is going to continue to crush Roy with top kids.

Recruiting has been sub-par for several years with the 2017 class being by far the worst. And now we have a surefire lottery pick and we bring him off the bench for 20 mpg. Negative recruiting is going to continue to crush Roy with top kids.

How dare you criticize our HOF coach in any way! How many championships do you have?!!?! You clearly can't question anything Roy does if you've never coached a basketball game in your life!

SMDH Stop being so negative. He obviously just doesn't want to compete for minutes with Brooks, Manley, Huffman, and Miller. We're clearly going to get some good ones in 2019, despite over half of the guys in the top 100 already being committed, I'm sure we're going to find some more diamonds in the rough at the 3 star level. We can't win 'em all, right? Stop with the doom and gloom, chicken little because the sky isn't falling!!1

Remember Tyler Hansbrough?

Fans, regardless, of team have every right to provide their opinion about the teams coach, players, etc... for other fans to take it personal is almost comical. You think Roy gives two craps what we say on these boards? We, as fans, can debate opinions... but to come across as butt hurt and personally offended shows very thin skin

How dare you criticize our HOF coach in any way! How many championships do you have?!!?! You clearly can't question anything Roy does if you've never coached a basketball game in your life!

SMDH Stop being so negative. He obviously just doesn't want to compete for minutes with Brooks, Manley, Huffman, and Miller. We're clearly going to get some good ones in 2019, despite over half of the guys in the top 100 already being committed, I'm sure we're going to find some more diamonds in the rough at the 3 star level. We can't win 'em all, right? Stop with the doom and gloom, chicken little because the sky isn't falling!!1

Remember Tyler Hansbrough?
And Harrison Barnes...

Reactions: RoseHeel
Arizona has put more pros in the league than UNC has recently...just saying.

How many NC's does AZ have? If you had to pick one as far as what Roy's job is, which is it: Roy winning NC's or Roy preparing and getting kids into the League? Don't say "both" - pick one.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Lol you guys are acting like it is the end of the world if a dude doesn't commit that we have a junior at the position for. So we recruit a PF next year. Who cares lol.

Dude that was toungue in cheek... I was testing some of our dinner poasters to the point.. you know it's coming figured I would best them to it

You may be using sarcasm, but it isn’t wrong. We will get some project and that will cause another log jam just like now. Then we will still have results like we do now. No reliant inside game to speak of.

He obviously wanted Arizona from the start but CJ Walker was ahead of him for recruitment. Once CJ Walker dropped Arizona, he went there.

I was not really sweating this one one way or the other, would have liked for us to get him just so fans could relax a little bit. I saw/see this kid as a Jawad Williams type of player and no offense to Jawad but it took him a while to become a solid player for us but I would not call Jawad a huge difference maker type of player, that is this Nnaji kid, maybe by a Jr season but no freakin way he is a 1&D level player.

Honestly, I think of greater front court need is power, aggressiveness, and rim protection. WE have Bacot but not sure I would call him a rim protector, I kinda like him as a strong POWER forward, like to match him with an effective center and that just is not IMO Nnaji. I don't see us getting Carey but I would like to see Carey and Bacot operating inside, that is a lot of strength.

Zona has not only hit on 5 top 50 kids, but they swept the board by position. Got their point, 2 guard, wing, stretch 4, and a center. Well the 7 footer is a bit lower, but still .

Last edited:
I was not really sweating this one one way or the other, would have liked for us to get him just so fans could relax a little bit. I saw/see this kid as a Jawad Williams type of player and no offense to Jawad but it took him a while to become a solid player for us but I would not call Jawad a huge difference maker type of player, that is this Nnaji kid, maybe by a Jr season but no freakin way he is a 1&D level player.

Honestly, I think of greater front court need is power, aggressiveness, and rim protection. WE have Bacot but not sure I would call him a rim protector, I kinda like him as a strong POWER forward, like to match him with an effective center and that just is not IMO Nnaji. I don't see us getting Carey but I would like to see Carey and Bacot operating inside, that is a lot of strength.

This kid is a top 40 talent. We are running bigs out there that were all outside of the top 100. This kid was an important get, and one Roy probably could have secured if he offered and recruited him earlier. A real tough loss here in my opinion.

Reactions: JakeSarna
This kid is a top 40 talent. We are running bigs out there that were all outside of the top 100. This kid was an important get, and one Roy probably could have secured if he offered and recruited him earlier. A real tough loss here in my opinion.

...no biggie here. Would have been a very late get...

Mike and others... i 100 percent agree, roy wont get out worked on the recruiting trail, however, kids see PT as important. Maybe our 3 freshmen get more PT as we move into the season, however... if they dont and recruits see a top 5 kid sitting behind a kid that wasnt top 100... Roys job and getting top kids becomes that much more difficult.

Praying for Anthony, glad he reeled in Bacot...

Go heels!!

I don't see where referring to his being ranked in the 40's makes a argument against what I said, you are talking about a ranking and I am talking about a player... Rankings do not play basketball games, players do that. Duke and Ky seem to win the pre-season national rankings contest every season, with kansas and Arizona as well making bids to finish top 3 and as badly as folks seem to think we have recruited, I believe UNC has been in the National title game 2 out of the last 3yrs and for me, I care way more for our playing the first week of April than any fictitious recruiting title nonsense.

Now I will be more than glad to consider any point you want to make about the kid as a player but quoting his ranking spot is not an argument, it is smoke that means nothing for me.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
. Rankings do not play basketball games, players do that. Duke and Ky seem to win the pre-season national rankings contest every season....

Now I will be more than glad to consider any point you want to make about the kid as a player but quoting his ranking spot is not an argument, it is smoke that means nothing for me.
DSouth you have forgot more about this game than these fan gurus ever knew.

Reactions: DSouthr
DSouth you have forgot more about this game than these fan gurus ever knew.

Thanks man, it kind of amazes me the theroys fans put forward to try to explain what they see but may not truely understand. Why UNC is not getting those top 5 kids is really not so hard to understand, not considering what duke and Ky have done.

Roy is going to have his players play HIS system and they are going to have to earn their time more on the defensive end than the offensive end. Guys, that simply means the learning curve for UNC players is going to be longer than a program that has become freshman simplified. With us they are going to struggle longer, not many can step up as a freshman even late in their frosh seasons. When you add in the fact that Roy ALWAYS has a lot of very experienced guys that have already learned the system even if they do not have as much upper end potential as a frosh may, it to me is an easy thing to understand.

Thing is, old saying in basketball is it ain't about the Xs & Os, it about the Jimmys and Joes and while that is true, it isn't as true when the Jimmys & Joes are freshmen, talent and potential is great, EXPERIENCED talent that has refined some of that potential is MUCH BETTER IMO, as well as the Natty results over the last few years.

Coby and Naz, if they played for UNC thru their senior seasons would IMO be solid candidates for NPOY because not only would they have well learned Roy's system, more of that potential will have been tapped. As great as Zion may be now, as great as Bagley was for Duke, the dukies will NEVER get the player they dream of because those guys will not play as great players until they get to the NBA. And yet if the perceived reality is that those great duke freshmen would play as seniors at duke then duke would not be getting them either.

There is some truth in the perception that the dukes and the Kys get players to the NBA quicker, I DO NOT AGREE THAT THEY MAKE THEM BETTER PLAYERS THAN THEY WERE OR WOULD BE ELSEWHERE.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
I don't see where referring to his being ranked in the 40's makes a argument against what I said, you are talking about a ranking and I am talking about a player... Rankings do not play basketball games, players do that. Duke and Ky seem to win the pre-season national rankings contest every season, with kansas and Arizona as well making bids to finish top 3 and as badly as folks seem to think we have recruited, I believe UNC has been in the National title game 2 out of the last 3yrs and for me, I care way more for our playing the first week of April than any fictitious recruiting title nonsense.

He seems like a kid who very well stays a 2nd year or maybe even a 3rd. Not a sure OAD. Those are the type of kids we have got our latest Championship runs with as bigs. He is 6'11, not a incredible wingspan only up to 7'1, but he fits what we need. Long and skilled. Sorta of like our attempt for EJ Montgomery late in his recruitment last year. Montgomery may be OAD, maybe not, is raw, but he is long and skilled. From what I've seen of him with Kentucky this year, I think he would of been a huge asset on our roster this year.

Not the end of the world, but I think Nnaji would of been just the type to help our needs and have a significant impact for us right away, and quite possibly for a few more years.

As great as Zion may be now, as great as Bagley was for Duke, the dukies will NEVER get the player they dream of because those guys will not play as great players until they get to the NBA.
Bagley won ACC player of the year last year and they were one or two shots away from the final four. Dook already won one championship on the backs of freshman too. This notion is just wrong. The top recruits are so talented they can do really well as freshman. Bagley was obviously a great player.

And who has hung banners and made a better showing in the NCAAs? Isn't that the goal we want? I know that doesn't fit your bashing Roy agenda but I happen to think Roy is doing a jam up job.

Mikey, the dudes a troll. The sneaky kind.

With regard to the recruit, trip to UNC was for one of two things...... Optics, or to see if UNC really does refuse to offer money for player. Maybe they were hoping UNC would offer some cash.

My bet is on Optics, given the dirtbag coach/program he chose. Hey let's spend a few bucks (probably Zona's) and go to UNC so it looks like we aren't just jumping in feet first with a dirty program.

Btw it is steats fault if he doesn't choose UNC. He is the one who is a jinx and he guaranteed it.

As the great John Wooden said " Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

I also guaranteed Cole Anthony. Now, start weeping you little baby...LMFAO

Bagley won ACC player of the year last year and they were one or two shots away from the final four. Dook already won one championship on the backs of freshman too. This notion is just wrong. The top recruits are so talented they can do really well as freshman. Bagley was obviously a great player.
If you think that dook squad was a success, you are really following the wrong sport

I've held off posting all afternoon. After thinking about it for several hours I've come to the realization that most recruits and their parents could care less about morals and honesty. Just tell me that my kid is going to play 30+ minutes a game from jump and is going to the NBA in 1 year. Nothing else matters. They could care less that the coaching staff was paying players and charged by the FBI. It's a sad state that this is what college basketball recruiting has become. Sean Miller must just sit back and laugh.

Reactions: heels05champs
I've held off posting all afternoon. After thinking about it for several hours I've come to the realization that most recruits and their parents could care less about morals and honesty. Just tell me that my kid is going to play 30+ minutes a game from jump and is going to the NBA in 1 year. Nothing else matters. They could care less that the coaching staff was paying players and charged by the FBI. It's a sad state that this is what college basketball recruiting has become. Sean Miller must just sit back and laugh.

^This^ To these elite recruits and their families, paying them to play is not cheating. They are entitled to compensation and it doesn't matter what the rules are. To them Kansas, Arizona, Kentuck, and dook have been doing it the right way.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT