ADVERTISEMENT

Zion’s former agent alleging that Zion got money to attend Duke - Asked to testify under oath

I was reading some of the arguments of the attorneys prior to any discovery and boy this is gonna be fun...already going at it in the media and what is "improper" and what isn't and the fact that his family received all the "benefits", not Zion, Williamson's attorneys are expected to file an appeal with Florida's Third District Court of Appeal, arguing that an earlier federal case in North Carolina involving the same parties and claims has precedence.

Williamson's attorneys have asked a federal judge in that case to void his marketing agreement with Ford and Prime Sports Marketing, claiming it wasn't valid because Ford wasn't a registered agent in North Carolina and the contract didn't include a warning that was required by a state law designed to protect amateur athletes from unscrupulous agents.

Last month, Ford's attorneys asked Williamson to admit that his mother and stepfather demanded and received gifts, money and other benefits from persons acting on behalf of Adidas and Nike, and also from people associated with Duke, to influence him to sign with the Blue Devils and to wear Nike or Adidas products.

"That issue is a complete canard and a complete red herring," Williamson's attorney, Jeffrey Klein, told Miller during a 52-minute virtual hearing on Tuesday morning. "[W]e believe that as a matter of law the statute bars that contract. The issue with respect to amateur status, there's no issue with respect to his amateur status, and in fact, if they wanted to find out the issue with respect to amateur status, eligibility is a determination made by the NCAA and made by Duke. I don't think it's relevant here to what's transpiring because frankly those determinations have been made. ... It doesn't absolve their failure to comply with the North Carolina statute."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29255403/judge-says-zion-williamson-answer-questions-oath-
improper-benefits-duke

Just gettin' good...you had a good run hewhomustnotbementioned.

No, and I get that you are not saying what is in quotes Tom but the questions Ford is asking Zion to testify in court on record is germain to the case, it is actually the linch pin of this case. Because if Zion was part of or himself demanded certain things like money and/or housing for the family, he is by definition not an ameture at the time and the clause in question does not apply. That ruled by a judge costs Zion $100 Million, he has a lot of money now days but gurantee ya he does not have $100 million in the bank today.

Lawyers, Ford, promise you this, do not ask questions like these with out having a hold card of proof. Lawyers, they don't ask questions they do not already have the answer to. But the important part is that these lawyers are not asking these questions without having rock solid proof. Zion, if there was no solid proof could lie even under oath, who could prove different. But when the proof is in hand by the folks demanding you testify under oath exists, telling a lie under oath is not an option, not just because you could go to jail but because you go to jail and lose your case! Only thing worse than losing a $100 million dollar law suite is losing it and going to jail! LOL

Jeff Capel, good time now to get worried because the end game in all of this has K throwing YOU under the bus and claiming he knew nothing and you ran this game. Yeah, how is that brotherhood nonsense working out for you NOW?

Odd if we are witness to the franchise in real trouble.
Do they have his old "bad back" suite ready over at the psych ward?

Jeff Capel, good time now to get worried because the end game in all of this has K throwing YOU under the bus and claiming he knew nothing and you ran this game. Yeah, how is that brotherhood nonsense working out for you NOW?
If push comes to shove, this is exactly what will happen. The LOM would throw his momma under the bus to protect his empire.

So the question is, will Zion protect himself by telling the truth or will he shoot himself in the foot and lie for K? Speaking of throwing one under the bus, I think Zion’s bus is actually larger than K’s. He was there for less than a year so I wonder how much he wants to protect the coach. He gets his money regardless and any payout is minimal compared to his future earnings. So it all comes down to will Zion have the intelligence to protect himself and tell the truth. He could actually come out of this as a hero by spilling the beans on the recruiting of college basketball players.

No, and I get that you are not saying what is in quotes Tom but the questions Ford is asking Zion to testify in court on record is germain to the case, it is actually the linch pin of this case. Because if Zion was part of or himself demanded certain things like money and/or housing for the family, he is by definition not an ameture at the time and the clause in question does not apply. That ruled by a judge costs Zion $100 Million, he has a lot of money now days but gurantee ya he does not have $100 million in the bank today.

Lawyers, Ford, promise you this, do not ask questions like these with out having a hold card of proof. Lawyers, they don't ask questions they do not already have the answer to. But the important part is that these lawyers are not asking these questions without having rock solid proof. Zion, if there was no solid proof could lie even under oath, who could prove different. But when the proof is in hand by the folks demanding you testify under oath exists, telling a lie under oath is not an option, not just because you could go to jail but because you go to jail and lose your case! Only thing worse than losing a $100 million dollar law suite is losing it and going to jail! LOL

Smokey and the Bandit came to mind when I read that.

I heard some lawyer dude on a podcast today say that he doesnt think anything will become of this. I can't find the stupid link now.

There will be a settlement and all will sign NDA's. The only way this blows up is if Zion denies and Ford has some actual physical evidence Williamson is not aware exists. When he settles this will be forgotten in two years and even 25 million over time is nothing compared to his earning potential right now.

David,

So, Ms. Ford is hoping this phrase holds up because if Zion was part of or himself demanded certain things like money and/or housing for the family, he is by definition not an amateur and oh, by the way Ms. Ford you were not legally elible to represent athletes in NC.
So the federal case takes presidence.
Okay, we'll over look the NCAA investigating/not investigating dook.
Canard? Red Herring?
Really Mr. Klein? You must be hoping you can work this side of the case to your client's benefit. Good Luck.

David,

So, Ms. Ford is hoping this phrase holds up because if Zion was part of or himself demanded certain things like money and/or housing for the family, he is by definition not an amateur and oh, by the way Ms. Ford you were not legally elible to represent athletes in NC.
So the federal case takes presidence.
Okay, we'll over look the NCAA investigating/not investigating dook.
Canard? Red Herring?
Really Mr. Klein? You must be hoping you can work this side of the case to your client's benefit. Good Luck.
Tom my friend, This whole thing depends on the single question of was Zion an amatrure or not, If he was then yeah, Ms Ford's case is toast by the fact she was not registered in NC as an agent as well as missing the required verbage in the contract. But if he was not an amatrure at the time he entered that contract, if he had in fact been paid to play, clearly the verbage in the contract no longer applies. I do not believe that it matters where a non-amature (professional) athelete lives, I believe that applies only for amature atheletes that are becoming professionals but even if that is not the case, it could as well depend on exactly where Zion signed the contract. If Zion went to Florida to ink the deal then the rules of Florida would apply I believe.

But Tom, you bring up a heck of a point, kudoes!

The dookies haven’t been talking a lot about it, you can tell they’re nervous!

Coach K told them to shut up again...

coach-k-student-section.png

MIAMI -- A Florida appeals court has temporarily granted NBA rookie Zion Williamson's attempt to block his former marketing agent's effort to have the ex-Duke star answer questions about whether he received improper benefits before playing for the Blue Devils.

The order Thursday granted Williamson a stay and paused proceedings in the lawsuit from Prime Sports Marketing and company president Gina Ford, whose attorneys must respond within 10 days.

It appears this case is going to have lots of twists as if proceeds.

MIAMI -- A Florida appeals court has temporarily granted NBA rookie Zion Williamson's attempt to block his former marketing agent's effort to have the ex-Duke star answer questions about whether he received improper benefits before playing for the Blue Devils.

The order Thursday granted Williamson a stay and paused proceedings in the lawsuit from Prime Sports Marketing and company president Gina Ford, whose attorneys must respond within 10 days.

It appears this case is going to have lots of twists as if proceeds.
You can always find a judge that on appeal will grant a stay, al that is would be a judge saying, OK, I will give you some more time to handle this.

But if what I think is happening, knowing Lawyers and how they do things, Ms Ford's attorneys have proof, they can not be dumb enough to ask a question they do not already have not just the answer to but rock solid proof of it. What Ford's attorneys are asking are not probing questions, they are entrapment questions and Zion's side know this full well, exactly why they are fighting this tooth and nail.

Reactions: Tom79
You can always find a judge that on appeal will grant a stay, al that is would be a judge saying, OK, I will give you some more time to handle this.

But if what I think is happening, knowing Lawyers and how they do things, Ms Ford's attorneys have proof, they can not be dumb enough to ask a question they do not already have not just the answer to but rock solid proof of it. What Ford's attorneys are asking are not probing questions, they are entrapment questions and Zion's side know this full well, exactly why they are fighting this tooth and nail.

So the paint them in corner gimmick...
Sometimes you have a case and sometimes the buffalo them with bs is offered...trying to grab some settlement value, hate those b'tards.

Dang, just fess up and get on with making $ Zion.

Last edited:
I don’t get how all this smoke is there and the NCAA does nothing?

but they open an investigation at unc bc Marin Austin is popping bottles???

Fingers crossed this doesn’t all end with a settlement, but I’m sure not holding my breath.

I don’t get how all this smoke is there and the NCAA does nothing?

but they open an investigation at unc bc Marin Austin is popping bottles???

Fingers crossed this doesn’t all end with a settlement, but I’m sure not holding my breath.
PJ Hairston drives a rental car and is suspended for a year. All of the high end recruits the last 5+ years at Dook have been paid.

If anyone has the time, Titus and Tate had the guy from the Athletic on their podcast today and he's the guy who tweeted all the stuff from above.

It's really great insight into this whole case and unfortunately why it's extremely unlikely we ever get to see Zion or anyone from Duke testify about paying players.

Reactions: John_Mexico
Are they alleging that Zion took money? If his dad took money, I don't care. I guarantee that my dad would have accepted money from anyone willing to give. He would have taken money from every College and not cared where I decided to go

Not sure what he drove, but...

he had two balls made out of brass
In stormy weather
They bang together
And lightning shoots out of his ass!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT