ADVERTISEMENT

Zion to officially visit UNC this weekend

Duke/UNC battle down to the wire is my prediction. I call it 50/50 at this juncture.

Barrett will probably commit to Duke within the next 2-3 weeks. That gives them Reddish, Jones and Barrett. Duval can't shoot, so he will probably be back. Is there enough basketballs for all of them at Duke including Zion?

Duke/UNC battle down to the wire is my prediction. I call it 50/50 at this juncture.

Barrett will probably commit to Duke within the next 2-3 weeks. That gives them Reddish, Jones and Barrett. Duval can't shoot, so he will probably be back. Is there enough basketballs for all of them at Duke including Zion?

Where does Kentucky stand in his recruitment?

Why dook, as opposed to the in-state schools?

I don’t see Duke and Zion happening. I don’t have the intel to give an opinion on UNC, but if I had to guess it would be UK or one of the in state schools.

I just read that Roy and Hu are visiting Zion today at his highschool, Spartanburg Day School.

Go get em Roy!!

Major meltdowns would occur in Durham and Lexington if Zion becomes a Tar Heel.

2014 benefited greatly from Jackson's under-performance as a shooter in his first 2 years.

I mean from a talent perspective.. Lawson/ Ellington/ wright.. the Henson class.. the Barnes class.. are ahead of 2014.

Why dook, as opposed to the in-state schools?

Yeah, I think the cocks still lead but growing concern with this FBI stuff is allowing that to slip, may have already slipped to far. Concern over Brownell's seat heat is also a concern but I would not rule them out. I do think he is looking long and hard at Ky. I don't think either we or duke are real factors for the kid, maybe more resume stuffers than anything else. Have heard some NC St rumblings, hoping that was the meat loaf I had last night for dinner...

Reactions: HermanT
Zion and unc commit little become friends at camp

Week or so later zion cxls ucla and schedules unc visit in its place

Another week or so later and roy and hubert are visiting zion

Its obvious to me he’s giving unc a hard look and his friendship with little is def a factor.

Reactions: bax4444
Wow , that'd be an outlier opinion I'd think. Certainly from a results standpoint it's one of Roys top 3-4 classes but I was mostly talking about talent wise.
No, I'm talking about the players. I don't and never have given 2 sh**s about "rankings", or what some "analyst" considers to be talent.

A class is only as good as its potential to help a program and there was none better than '14. These 3 kids were players I knew would form a core class for Natty runs and they brought respective qualities and skills that meshed not only with each other, but also our system. And lo and behold these guys have proven to be more effective for their team than legions of OADs.

And speaking of rankings, JB was grossly under-ranked, a fact that was the subject of derision among AAU cognoscenti at the time, and to this day.

Yeah, I think the cocks still lead but growing concern with this FBI stuff is allowing that to slip, may have already slipped to far. Concern over Brownell's seat heat is also a concern but I would not rule them out. I do think he is looking long and hard at Ky. I don't think either we or duke are real factors for the kid, maybe more resume stuffers than anything else. Have heard some NC St rumblings, hoping that was the meat loaf I had last night for dinner...
That's interesting --- I thought the in-state buzz up there would be for Clemson, given the FBI stuff. And yeah, it's hard to imagine dook being a real factor here but my skepticism on our chances is abating just a tad. Hey, at this point not much would surprise me either way.

2014 benefited greatly from Jackson's under-performance as a shooter in his first 2 years.
Faulty logic I would think. Yes, had he shot better he was gone after 2 seasons (which was the plan he came in on), BUT had he shot better we would've been even better in that second season.

Never thought USC was as serious a player as Clemson from in state. And Brownell on the hot seat means nothing. If he can drag Zion in they will give him another years no matter their record this year. And he has promised the world to Zion in regards to touches, minutes per game. Would probably be able to pad stats at Clemson better than anywhere else. And we all know what Clemson is capable of when they get desperate. And CU basketball is certainly desperate.

That's interesting --- I thought the in-state buzz up there would be for Clemson, given the FBI stuff. And yeah, it's hard to imagine dook being a real factor here but my skepticism on our chances is abating just a tad. Hey, at this point not much would surprise me either way.

Yeah but gary, the temp check on Brownell's seat is not good, there is also some concern over the Clemson players association with a certain Tailor...cough cough...LOL

Thing about Brownell is EVERYONE says he is a great coach but good bad or in between coach, at some point you either start winning or pack your bags. While Clemson is a football spot they do as well love winning basketball, I mean they are in the ACC after all and have been for my life time. It does not sit well with the Clemson boosters that the Game cocks had the basketball season they had last season and yet again Clemson sucked. That Clemson team really has to show some signs of life this season else Brownell could be gone. IN many ways they could really help their chances at Zion if they pulled the trigger quick and brought in a top shelf coach that Zion could believe in, don't see that happening.

Never thought USC was as serious a player as Clemson from in state. And Brownell on the hot seat means nothing. If he can drag Zion in they will give him another years no matter their record this year. And he has promised the world to Zion in regards to touches, minutes per game. Would probably be able to pad stats at Clemson better than anywhere else. And we all know what Clemson is capable of when they get desperate. And CU basketball is certainly desperate.

Brownell isn't known to promise the world to a recruit. This is not a guess, this is absolute, USC is absolutely a huge factor in this and has been. Don't let the spin fool ya, Frank Martin has worked extra hard to get this kid and frankly has out worked Clemson. FYI, when Zion's coach tells me something like this, I tend to listen...I'm funny like that...

And Roy and Hubert are visiting him today, an in-school visit, followed by UK, Dook and KU.
Kinda crowed on that dance card.

No, I'm talking about the players. I don't and never have given 2 sh**s about "rankings", or what some "analyst" considers to be talent.

A class is only as good as its potential to help a program and there was none better than '14. These 3 kids were players I knew would form a core class for Natty runs and they brought respective qualities and skills that meshed not only with each other, but also our system. And lo and behold these guys have proven to be more effective for their team than legions of OADs.

And speaking of rankings, JB was grossly under-ranked, a fact that was the subject of derision among AAU cognoscenti at the time, and to this day.

I guess I missed the part where Lawson and Ellington didn't help unc win a title lol.

I don't think 14 was the best class, but I do think it was the most important class since Roy has been here. Given all of the NCAA stuff going on, they were able to keep us on top. Had they not committed it could have been a big slide into mediocrity while the NCAA stuff was going on.

When it comes to ranking Carolina's recruiting classes under Roy, there are really no right or wrong answers. You can take any class and find players who helped this program win many meaningful basketball games, as well as ACC and National titles. This program is in great hands with Roy.

When it comes to ranking Carolina's recruiting classes under Roy, there are really no right or wrong answers. You can take any class and find players who helped this program win many meaningful basketball games, as well as ACC and National titles. This program is in great hands with Roy.

Disagree. The class of 2007 contributed nothing.

I totally agree about JB being underranked. I saw him as a sophmore through his senior year in high school and here was a kid that was the 3 time Gatorade player of the year. I had told all my friends that he was an absolute winner and a stud of a player.

Reactions: HermanT and gary-7
I totally agree about JB being underranked. I saw him as a sophmore through his senior year in high school and here was a kid that was the 3 time Gatorade player of the year. I had told all my friends that he was an absolute winner and a stud of a player.

Your evaluation has proven to be correct.

Your evaluation has proven to be correct.
Thanks. Here is another one. When we had the class of Barnes, Butter and Reggie. Before they even stepped on campus I kept saying that the best player is Butter. I love watching recruiting film as I am sure most of us loyal Heels do. I also hope we get Josh in 2019. His motor and quick crossover pull-up jumper is amazing.

Thanks. Here is another one. When we had the class of Barnes, Butter and Reggie. Before they even stepped on campus I kept saying that the best player is Butter. I love watching recruiting film as I am sure most of us loyal Heels do. I also hope we get Josh in 2019. His motor and quick crossover pull-up jumper is amazing.

What are your thoughts on Rechon Black and Coby White from next year's class?

For sure... and even as a Soph in HS he looked like a PG who was already in college. Ah, but since he didn't bother to juke and jive and do "And-1" street tricks in AAU games he didn't dazzle the analysts I guess :rolleyes:

Reactions: Heels5150

If I recall correctly I believe Joel was considered the #3 pg in his class behind Mudiay and Ty Jones. Mudiay played euro ball for a year and was drafted around 7 in the 2015 draft and Ty Jones was as well drafted 24th in that same draft so both went 1 & done where as Joel really didn't have that option and was in general considered a 2nd round pick at best even this last draft. Joel has been a great college player, has for sure earned legendary respect from the Tar Heel nation. But being the #17 prospect per ESPN and 3rd best PG in his 2014 class seems about right to me.

Butter is from my original neck o' the woods (shout-out to the PWC!) so I knew about him early. I was stoked when he committed so early --- he was another can't-miss PG for our system.

Reactions: Heels5150
Butter is from my original neck o' the woods (shout-out to the PWC!) so I knew about him early. I was stoked when he committed so early --- he was another can't-miss PG for our system.
God Butter was fun to watch. I remember telling Butters Dad that he would be a lock for the McDonalds All American Team and he was thankful but not so sure he was a lock. This was over a message board. I have never had the honor to meet either one of them.

If I recall correctly I believe Joel was considered the #3 pg in his class behind Mudiay and Ty Jones. Mudiay played euro ball for a year and was drafted around 7 in the 2015 draft and Ty Jones was as well drafted 24th in that same draft so both went 1 & done where as Joel really didn't have that option and was in general considered a 2nd round pick at best even this last draft. Joel has been a great college player, has for sure earned legendary respect from the Tar Heel nation. But being the #17 prospect per ESPN and 3rd best PG in his 2014 class seems about right to me.
Well, first, the BSPN ranking was his highest. The others were grossly off. One even had Ulis ahead of him.

I get why analysts salivated over Mudiay (since he was the freaky athletic type they drool over), but as for Tyus? JB was better than Jones in HS, better in AAU and better now. Jones just had the benefit of --- and Lord knows it pains me to say this --- K making the right call and actually starting his freshman PG and moving his veteran PG who could shoot to the 2. I'll let you fill in the rest, D... :oops:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT