ADVERTISEMENT

Zion to officially visit UNC this weekend

What are your thoughts on Rechon Black and Coby White from next year's class?
I believe Colby is a true scorer. Not a shooter. Reckon to me is Pinson like but a better scorer. Lol. The player I messed up the most was Clifford Rozier out of Florida. I thought he was going to be one of the greatest Tar Heels ever. With that recruiting class of Montross, Phelps, Reese and so on. It was amazing. However, he transferred after his freshman year and never lived up to his potential at Louisville. If he would have stayed though, who knows. I believe he got hurt also after he transferred

What are your thoughts on Rechon Black and Coby White from next year's class?

Honestly, I think Leaky will end up as a Theo like facilitating wing rather than PG and could end up as a 4 depending on his expected growth spurt. I think he will shoot slightly better than Theo but not sure if he will be as tuff minded as Theo, not a slam toward him, just to me Theo is all grit alpha. I want to see Leaky get hard work in the weight room, will need to get stronger and work on not just shooting the jumpers but being willing to take the shot and not defer as much, he is very pass first IMO maybe to a fault.

White in some ways is the opposite to Black, in more than the symbolic nature of their names! LOL White is very much a shoot first kid, Roy will have to tone that down a bit (truth is Jalek prior to UNC was as well). What has shot him up in the rankings is he was in the past a slasher scorer type but has really worked on his jump shooting to the extent it has become a dangerous weapon.

I think While is more a 2 than point but if we were to lose Jalek as a 1&D then you tell me who runs the point, fellas that don't think White can run the point, it is either 7th, who ya hate as a PG, or 6'7-10" Leaky Black who is neither Magic, Penny, or Ben Simmons? The answer is it is either White, 7th or baby Jet and that means big minutes for White and 7th at the point.

Having said that, I in the minority opinion do not believe we lose Jalek after this season, that could change as the season progresses but for right now I expect him with us for at least 2 and maybe 3.

I believe Colby is a true scorer. Not a shooter. Reckon to me is Pinson like but a better scorer. Lol. The player I messed up the most was Clifford Rozier out of Florida. I thought he was going to be one of the greatest Tar Heels ever. With that recruiting class of Montross, Phelps, Reese and so on. It was amazing. However, he transferred after his freshman year and never lived up to his potential at Louisville. If he would have stayed though, who knows. I believe he got hurt also after he transferred
Yeah, that class was called by some the "Fab 5" before Michigan's bunch came in a year later. Cliff was unfortunately a bit of a head case --- could be a beast at times and disappear at others.

Honestly, I think Leaky will end up as a Theo like facilitating wing rather than PG and could end up as a 4 depending on his expected growth spurt. I think he will shoot slightly better than Theo but not sure if he will be as tuff minded as Theo, not a slam toward him, just to me Theo is all grit alpha. I want to see Leaky get hard work in the weight room, will need to get stronger and work on not just shooting the jumpers but being willing to take the shot and not defer as much, he is very pass first IMO maybe to a fault.

White in some ways is the opposite to Black, in more than the symbolic nature of their names! LOL White is very much a shoot first kid, Roy will have to tone that down a bit (truth is Jalek prior to UNC was as well). What has shot him up in the rankings is he was in the past a slasher scorer type but has really worked on his jump shooting to the extent it has become a dangerous weapon.

I think While is more a 2 than point but if we were to lose Jalek as a 1&D then you tell me who runs the point, fellas that don't think White can run the point, it is either 7th, who ya hate as a PG, or 6'7-10" Leaky Black who is neither Magic, Penny, or Ben Simmons? The answer is it is either White, 7th or baby Jet and that means big minutes for White and 7th at the point.

Having said that, I in the minority opinion do not believe we lose Jalek after this season, that could change as the season progresses but for right now I expect him with us for at least 2 and maybe 3.
100% agree on Leaky. Fortunately I don't believe Young Felton is going anywhere for at least another season.

Yeah, that class was called by some the "Fab 5" before Michigan's bunch came in a year later. Cliff was unfortunately a bit of a head case --- could be a beast at times and disappear at others.

Agree,Cliff could've really been a star had he listened to Dean,sad how his life turned out after college.

Berry will be playing some 2 with Felton at the 1 more than many of you may think this year.

100% agree on Leaky. Fortunately I don't believe Young Felton is going anywhere for at least another season.
Does anyone realistically think we will get one of the three left in Zion, Romeo and Shittu?And which one would you prefer? I would like Shittu,Zion or Romeo in that order

Does anyone realistically think we will get one of the three left in Zion, Romeo and Shittu?And which one would you prefer? I would like Shittu,Zion or Romeo in that order

For Shittu, I keep hearing it's down to us and Vandy.

Well, first, the BSPN ranking was his highest. The others were grossly off. One even had Ulis ahead of him.

I get why analysts salivated over Mudiay (since he was the freaky athletic type they drool over), but as for Tyus? JB was better than Jones in HS, better in AAU and better now. Jones just had the benefit of --- and Lord knows it pains me to say this --- K making the right call and actually starting his freshman PG and moving his veteran PG who could shoot to the 2. I'll let you fill in the rest, D... :oops:

I recall watching both Jones and Joel play in person on the same day prior to college. Jones was a little longer and maybe a slightly better passing shooter (keep in mind, prior to UNC). While I thought both were fantastic, I would have had to see Jones as slightly more talented at the time.

Understand, at the time Joel was not a poor jump shooter but it wasn't his strength by any measure, he was more of a hard nosed strong kid that took it to the basket hard, got fouled a lot. Joel worked on and really amped up his jump shooting after getting to us, as was the case with Ty Lawson and Ray Felton. But Joel was a bad arse defender, really gritty, a PG that you could tell had that football back ground in tuffness. Jones was IMO at the time a bit quicker, Joel is quick enough but he isn't great quick (think Ty Lawson for example of great quicks).

Now I don't know what Mudiay or Ty Jones would have done if they had spend 3yrs and going in to their 4th in the college game, I would think with some of the talent that has passed thru durham that having TY Jones as their PG could have had much better results than they have had. I know Joel has been great, legendary great, great as in easy being 1 of the 6 best PGs we have ever had and frankly, may be there with the Jet and Phil as one of the 3 best. But what you have achieved in 3yrs of college play and looking at one more is not really a fair gauge to where you should have been ranked coming in with the 1&D deal taking so many away before you can ever get a fair gauge.

Now as for k moving Ty in as the PG, not really a stroke of genius IMO, Cook was always a combo caretaker PG rather than the more traditional duke PGs. Anytime I call someone a combo discussing PGs, it means I see them more as a 2 than a PG, just my way of stating it.

The Shittu ship (I think) will sail with the Commodores (pun intended).

Sounds like Roy as at least put himself in position to have a legit shot with the other two. If Zion is an early signee at least we'll know one way or the other --- Romeo looks to sign later. Good news is we're playing with house money now --- strong class with or without another.

Like hell he wasn't. SMDH.

Jones led the EYBL in scoring (on very good efficiency), assists, and steals, if memory serves. Jones and Justin Jackson were viewed as the best players on the circuit that year.

The Shittu ship (I think) will sail with the Commodores (pun intended).

Sounds like Roy as at least put himself in position to have a legit shot with the other two. If Zion is an early signee at least we'll know one way or the other --- Romeo looks to sign later. Good news is we're playing with house money now --- strong class with or without another.
Thank you! I do agree with you. Anything beyond this is gravy. I just feel like it is crazy. Defending ͏National Champions, blue Blood, Basketball Powerhouse, Hall of Fame Coach or Vandy? Romeo Indiana, Kansas ( adidas schools would make me nervous right now) or good guys. Zion good guys or the dark side.

Now as for k moving Ty in as the PG, not really a stroke of genius IMO, Cook was always a combo caretaker PG rather than the more traditional duke PGs. Anytime I call someone a combo discussing PGs, it means I see them more as a 2 than a PG, just my way of stating it.
And, as for dook's situation I think you underestimate Cook's PG abilities somewhat. And you're right, it wasn't a stroke of genius, it was the right move that he went with despite the risks of starting a freshman PG. For whatever reason I watched several dook games that season and believe me, Jones struggled mightily early on, but credit to the rat for sticking with him and letting him take his lumps --- paid off for them later in the season obviously.

Jones led the EYBL in scoring (on very good efficiency), assists, and steals, if memory serves. Jones and Justin Jackson were viewed as the best players on the circuit that year.
By whom? No one I've ever spoken with in EYBL.
I'll just put it this way --- if they switched places and dropped Jones into JB's HS team, there's no way in hell he's ever 3-times Player of the Year in the 3rd largest state in the country, if even once.

Reactions: Heels5150
And, as for dook's situation I think you underestimate Cook's PG abilities somewhat. And you're right, it wasn't a stroke of genius, it was the right move that he went with despite the risks of starting a freshman PG. For whatever reason I watched several dook games that season and believe me, Jones struggled mightily early on, but credit to the rat for sticking with him and letting him take his lumps --- paid off for them later in the season obviously.

Jones struggled yes he did but it was a pretty easy decision to move Cook off the ball. Now to be fair, I wanted Joel to start at the point as a freshman and Marcus move off the ball. As I recall I was one of a very few that wanted that, when I expressed it I was told how Marcus wanted to be the PG and Marcus should get what he wanted. The funny part was Roy prefers to run more a duo PG system and has shown just that for the last what, 3 or 4 seasons?

I find that funny because I say 7th can be a PG for us and there is push back from that but truth is it is a duo PG system that Roy prefers. Kenny as the 2 is not a duo PG look, 7th and Jalek or Joel it is a duo PG look. IMO, the best duo PG combination we had was Joel/Marcus season before last but the Joel/Jalek look this season I think will rival if not trump that one.

When I watch Joel on the offensive end he honestly plays more like a 2 than a point. I mean he does not rack up a ton of assists, he is a pretty darn solid jump shooter from trey that actively looks for that shot. He really is not a drive and dish guy, if he drives most often he is looking to finish or draw the foul. He does not have great measurables in size to be a SG but really he plays like one. But it ain't the size of the dawg in the fight...It is the size of the fight in the dawg and that dawg got big time fight in em!

Reactions: shun1
Jones struggled yes he did but it was a pretty easy decision to move Cook off the ball. Now to be fair, I wanted Joel to start at the point as a freshman and Marcus move off the ball. As I recall I was one of a very few that wanted that, when I expressed it I was told how Marcus wanted to be the PG and Marcus should get what he wanted. The funny part was Roy prefers to run more a duo PG system and has shown just that for the last what, 3 or 4 seasons?

I find that funny because I say 7th can be a PG for us and there is push back from that but truth is it is a duo PG system that Roy prefers. Kenny as the 2 is not a duo PG look, 7th and Jalek or Joel it is a duo PG look. IMO, the best duo PG combination we had was Joel/Marcus season before last but the Joel/Jalek look this season I think will rival if not trump that one.

When I watch Joel on the offensive end he honestly plays more like a 2 than a point. I mean he does not rack up a ton of assists, he is a pretty darn solid jump shooter from trey that actively looks for that shot. He really is not a drive and dish guy, if he drives most often he is looking to finish or draw the foul. He does not have great measurables in size to be a SG but really he plays like one. But it ain't the size of the dawg in the fight...It is the size of the fight in the dawg and that dawg got big time fight in em!
I'm with you with one big exception. JB plays exactly like a Lead PG should play. He controls the floor --- where we go and where the opposition goes --- arguably better than anyone who has ever played here, which sets up and facilitates everything we try to do on offense. Moreover, unlike the vast majority of college PGs, he is more than willing to make the pass that leads to the pass, i.e., to move the defense to create a better angle for a teammate's pass, as opposed to forcing something just so he can get credit for the dime. Probably 90% of basketball fans won't have a clue what I'm talking about here but I'm sure you do.

The simple version of that is we are a far better team when he's at PG than when he's not, and that has been true since he stepped on campus. While I too am looking forward to watching JB interchange with Jalek when they're in together --- and I'm on record that Jalek will be the next great UNC PG --- let us not forget that the guy that's still simply the best in the college game is wearing #2.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranktheHeel
Soooo..... we've discussed Joel, Justin and the greatest exponent of the phantom whiplash..... but what about that Zion kid?

So any interest in Roy and Hubert visiting Zion in school yesterday? Three days after his official. One week prior to signing period.
Or the other three schools also doing in school visits on the same day? Hmm? No.
Resume the every thread pissing contest then.

Last edited:
Brownell isn't known to promise the world to a recruit. This is not a guess, this is absolute, USC is absolutely a huge factor in this and has been. Don't let the spin fool ya, Frank Martin has worked extra hard to get this kid and frankly has out worked Clemson. FYI, when Zion's coach tells me something like this, I tend to listen...I'm funny like that...

Sure hope so. Would much rather see him at USC than Clemson if it comes down to that. Though I don't think it will. Figure he will go to one of the traditional powers. But as far as Brownell, you better figure he would promise about anything to him. Man is on the verge of losing a high paying gig. In fact would have been gone a couple of years ago at most schools. But as long as football is going good at CU they don't react quickly to basketball. But his job hinges on two things at this point. Either make the NCAA, or sign Zion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT