ADVERTISEMENT

Zion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And once again on his way to underachieving with the #1 class in the nation!

Zion can see what's up; come join the Family and be an individual!

I don't know of anyone who thinks that he's a talented lyrical persona, I think the draw is just...the persona. Cole, Kendrick, Chance, Glover, those dudes are killing Drake at every turn. But the great Nasir Jones just named Drake one of his top 5 currently...so he's gotta be doing something right. Be real, he's had some bangers you can nod your head to. But I certainly don't think he's a brilliant MC (or even an MC at all), no.

Drake is garbage. I cant believe these kids think he is good.

I don't know of anyone who thinks that he's a talented lyrical persona, I think the draw is just...the persona. Cole, Kendrick, Chance, Glover, those dudes are killing Drake at every turn. But the great Nasir Jones just named Drake one of his top 5 currently...so he's gotta be doing something right. Be real, he's had some bangers you can nod your head to. But I certainly don't think he's a brilliant MC (or even an MC at all), no.

Rap is different now. Garbage lyrics are fine as long as the beat is good. I actually dont like any drake songs. Ive tried, been to a couple of his concerts. I just dont think he is very good at all. He came up as a rich kid, and some of the lyrics totally contradict that.

if Calapari goes hard at Zion we can eliminate him coming to the Hill. Calipari gets who he wants.

Disagree 100%! No coach gets everyone they want and avoiding competing is cowardly! UNC ain't scared of anyone and I trust Roy! Go get him Roy, the intelligent kids are starting to see through all the "stuff" and starting to regain their respect for UNC!

Winning and style of play trump cachet these days so keep running, smiling, and winning boys!

the intelligent kids are starting to see through all the "stuff" and starting to regain their respect
Like who are you referring to? Cal is in the midst of putting together one of the most ridiculous classes I've seen and has a good chance at landing Bamba.

Disagree 100%! No coach gets everyone they want and avoiding competing is cowardly! UNC ain't scared of anyone and I trust Roy! Go get him Roy, the intelligent kids are starting to see through all the "stuff" and starting to regain their respect for UNC!

Winning and style of play trump cachet these days so keep running, smiling, and winning boys!
Sorry but I don't see where kids are seeing through all the "stuff"
Cal gets every recruit he wants. He has a 5 star McDonald's AA from Chapel Hill who's mom works at UNC & is averaging 2 min a game.
Look at the kids Cal has signed for next year & he's not done. I know a lot of his recruiting is shady as hell but he's on a different level than anyone else

I've seen him live once after Nothing Was The Same was released. Couldn't agree more. One of the most boring live shows I've ever been to, actually left early. Hard for me to do when I quite liked the album.

I agree. He's not great. But there's still some that I can bang my head to and sing a long with. His early stuff (cliche, I know) like Fear had me much more fired up. Stuff like Fake Love and One Dance is absolute trash. But he's been decent on some features, the stuff with Future isn't TERRIBLE terrible.

Nice to this music with someone else on THI. We're probably in the minority of those who listen to the genre here. May could move a bigger conversation to OOTB. Always looking for good new hip hop.

Rap is different now. Garbage lyrics are fine as long as the beat is good. I actually dont like any drake songs. Ive tried, been to a couple of his concerts. I just dont think he is very good at all. He came up as a rich kid, and some of the lyrics totally contradict that.

Some times it is hard to see the forest for the trees. Shady does NOT get every recruit he wants, this is a myth. Just like the myth that UNC doesn't want OADs or would not be advantageous for them! You could easily look up his misses and see for yourself or not. UNC is starting to look better in peeps' eyes because more of them have us on their final lists; more are mentioning their respect for Roy and UNC; we play a fun style; we put peeps in the NBA; the "stuff" is winding down and peeps are seeing it was mostly overblown; and we are winning! How others interpret these things is immaterial to me, I see us trending upwards and this is awesome to this life-long Tar Heel! Feel free to disagree, but I'm more optimistic now than I have been in 5 years!

I'm enjoying the ride and loving our team! I feel a real connection to our guys and they clearly love each other and have fun playing the game! Can you say this about other top teams? I simply love the quality of the character of the peeps we are getting. This is worth more to me than the ranking of our recruiting classes anyway!

I've seen him live once after Nothing Was The Same was released. Couldn't agree more. One of the most boring live shows I've ever been to, actually left early. Hard for me to do when I quite liked the album.

I agree. He's not great. But there's still some that I can bang my head to and sing a long with. His early stuff (cliche, I know) like Fear had me much more fired up. Stuff like Fake Love and One Dance is absolute trash. But he's been decent on some features, the stuff with Future isn't TERRIBLE terrible.

Nice to this music with someone else on THI. We're probably in the minority of those who listen to the genre here. May could move a bigger conversation to OOTB. Always looking for good new hip hop.

You know, i was going to say, his songs with other artists I dont mind. Its funny you mentioned with Future, i totally agree haha.

You're right, we probably are in the minority of this kind of hip hop. I still listen to tupac and biggie lol.

Hip hop is playing a huge factor for these kids. We need to get Jcole involved more (not saying i like his stuff, but these kids do). St Johns had him peform at there late night event, IMO Roy should have jcole perform at LNWR. I think that would help with recruiting. I believe he was in attendace for the State game. Need more of that!

You're all over it! There's no reason at all for us to not have him HOST LNWR. That event needs a serious overhaul anyway.

I'm a little like you, maybe with a little more respect for some of the new artists. I think Cole is VERY good, Chance is a game changer, and Kendrick has the potential to be all time. Say what you will about Kanye too- especially with his idiotic tabloid lifestyle he now lives in, but he's done some historically important stuff- maybe with My Dark Twisted Fantasy being at the forefront of his solo career, but mostly with his Blueprint beats and stuff that made Jay become Jay back at the turn of the millennium.

But I'm with you. My vinyl collection has Wu Tang, Blackstar, Gangstarr, Tribe, Big, Pac, KRS-One...I'm very much more of a throwback guy than a now guy. I am however hoping that one of these young talents emerges. Coloring Book is probably the closest we've gotten in the mainstream in recent memory.

Back to basketball, we should utilize whatever hip hop/rap stars want to wear a Carolina jersey. It's just quite frankly a huge part of the culture of the game and a serious legal recruiting advantage. We need to swag the Dean Dome and its events up a little bit. That is- if you like winning.

You know, i was going to say, his songs with other artists I dont mind. Its funny you mentioned with Future, i totally agree haha.

You're right, we probably are in the minority of this kind of hip hop. I still listen to tupac and biggie lol.

Hip hop is playing a huge factor for these kids. We need to get Jcole involved more (not saying i like his stuff, but these kids do). St Johns had him peform at there late night event, IMO Roy should have jcole perform at LNWR. I think that would help with recruiting. I believe he was in attendace for the State game. Need more of that!

Like who are you referring to? Cal is in the midst of putting together one of the most ridiculous classes I've seen and has a good chance at landing Bamba.

Coulda sworn a bunch of fans were saying PJ "saw through the stuff" at UK too. Guess we see how that worked out.

Not sure what the complaint is here. Cal uses the CBB landscape in his favor, and a bunch of fans seem to be unable to accept that. We have the same resources they have, and choose not to use them.

Claim what you want, but regardless of your personal feelings about Drake or Cal, I bet Zion's impressed that a worldstar artist is rocking his jersey.

Why wouldn't we?

It's amazing to me that people think our program has to live in the stone age. Don't get me wrong, I want to protect the Carolina Way as much as possible while remaining competitive- but do you actually KNOW what I mean when I say swag the Dean Dome up? Instead of mocking me- why not ask?

The Dean Dome is a behind the times venue. You can hate hip hop or hip hop culture if you want to, that's your prerogative, but do you follow JB and Theo on IG or Twitter? They are consistently uploading videos of hip hop music, dancing and singing along to them, and these are the types of recruits that so many of you say are the nice guys and great students that we adore. They are, but the point is they are still a part of this culture of social media, hip hop, and tabloids being news. They're 20 years old and that's the world they live in. You don't have to understand it to be OK with it.

You don't want to add a little bit of culture and swag to the Dome- or better yet, Carolina basketball? That's totally fine. But that lack of ability to adapt to the evolution of the culture of the game is exactly why in a couple years you'll be watching Zion play somewhere else.

Yeah, by all means, let's "swag the Dean Dome up".

Below is Jay Z and Mya rocking Heels gear back in 2000. Within 2 years Raymond Felton, Sean May, and Rashad McCants had committed to our program. This image was released during the height of their recruitment. How'd that 2005 season end?

Yeah, I know Doh recruited them and it took Roy to get them to paradise. I also know that the jerseys in that image are an abomination in the grand scheme of Carolina basketball. But you get my point.

If it can't hurt, is legal, and you can use it...why not?

iu

My traditional values are rarely espoused by rap or hip hop artists. So no, I prefer not to see the university associated with that type of music, regardless of whether young, impressionable kids may like it or not. Attracting star recruits doesn't justify the means to me.

Yeah, by all means, let's "swag the Dean Dome up".

Arch, i usually agree with your posts. Not sure why your against getting with the times and using a known famous UNC fan to help promote the program.

My traditional values are rarely espoused by rap or hip hop artists. So no, I prefer not to see the university associated with that type of music, regardless of whether young, impressionable kids may like it or not. Attracting star recruits doesn't justify the means to me.

Nothing wrong with hip hop if you listen to the right artists. Not sure why its wrong that they speak about their upbringing, culture and environment the live in.

Why wouldn't we?

It's amazing to me that people think our program has to live in the stone age. Don't get me wrong, I want to protect the Carolina Way as much as possible while remaining competitive- but do you actually KNOW what I mean when I say swag the Dean Dome up? Instead of mocking me- why not ask?

The Dean Dome is a behind the times venue. You can hate hip hop or hip hop culture if you want to, that's your prerogative, but do you follow JB and Theo on IG or Twitter? They are consistently uploading videos of hip hop music, dancing and singing along to them, and these are the types of recruits that so many of you say are the nice guys and great students that we adore. They are, but the point is they are still a part of this culture of social media, hip hop, and tabloids being news. They're 20 years old and that's the world they live in. You don't have to understand it to be OK with it.

You don't want to add a little bit of culture and swag to the Dome- or better yet, Carolina basketball? That's totally fine. But that lack of ability to adapt to the evolution of the culture of the game is exactly why in a couple years you'll be watching Zion play somewhere else.

Exactly. Well said man. Hell JB even said he isnt a big fan of Jcole, but he was still pumped posing with him for a pic. MJ should be brought around more often too for big events.

Not sure what the complaint is here. Cal uses the CBB landscape in his favor, and a bunch of fans seem to be unable to accept that. We have the same resources they have, and choose not to use them.

Claim what you want, but regardless of your personal feelings about Drake or Cal, I bet Zion's impressed that a worldstar artist is rocking his jersey.

Exactly Rosey!! Use the resources available like Kentucky and Duke. Calshady uses Drake, Coach K uses the Olympics. Roy needs to use JCole and MJ.

You're all over it! There's no reason at all for us to not have him HOST LNWR. That event needs a serious overhaul anyway.

I'm a little like you, maybe with a little more respect for some of the new artists. I think Cole is VERY good, Chance is a game changer, and Kendrick has the potential to be all time. Say what you will about Kanye too- especially with his idiotic tabloid lifestyle he now lives in, but he's done some historically important stuff- maybe with My Dark Twisted Fantasy being at the forefront of his solo career, but mostly with his Blueprint beats and stuff that made Jay become Jay back at the turn of the millennium.

But I'm with you. My vinyl collection has Wu Tang, Blackstar, Gangstarr, Tribe, Big, Pac, KRS-One...I'm very much more of a throwback guy than a now guy. I am however hoping that one of these young talents emerges. Coloring Book is probably the closest we've gotten in the mainstream in recent memory.

Back to basketball, we should utilize whatever hip hop/rap stars want to wear a Carolina jersey. It's just quite frankly a huge part of the culture of the game and a serious legal recruiting advantage. We need to swag the Dean Dome and its events up a little bit. That is- if you like winning.

Im going to take your word and listen to some of the new artists. I admittedly havent given them much of a chance!

I don't see nothing wrong with doing cool things the kids like sometimes, that's just not basketball. As long as it don't violate NCAA rules. Drake has gotten Kentucky in a little trouble. We can't afford no slip ups.

Why wouldn't we?

As opposed to the barn that gets top classes every year ??? smdh

This is literally all I'm saying. There's no harm in embracing a culture if it's within the parameters of the rule book.

And Archer, you don't have to like hip hop at all. One's musical preference is their own. But there's a lot of good in hip hop if you're looking in the right places. It can be an art form most comparable to the spoken word.

I think there's no harm in trying to appear more relevant to the kids in the modern age. To be sure, there are more than a few reasons why our recruiting has taken a hit, but we can offset it by becoming a more attractive option culturally.

Reactions: gauchoheel
And for the record, I'm not a huge fan of rap and hip/hop in its current form. I've always been more of a rock and roll guy myself. But fact is, most of these young men are black and a certain culture and art will appeal to them. Nothing wrong with catering to that and looking more fresh in the eyes of the kids.

And for the record, I'm not a huge fan of rap and hip/hop in its current form. I've always been more of a rock and roll guy myself. But fact is, most of these young men are black and a certain culture and art will appeal to them. Nothing wrong with catering to that and looking more fresh in the eyes of the kids.
Either that, or watch them go elsewhere.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
This is literally all I'm saying. There's no harm in embracing a culture if it's within the parameters of the rule book.

And Archer, you don't have to like hip hop at all. One's musical preference is their own. But there's a lot of good in hip hop if you're looking in the right places. It can be an art form most comparable to the spoken word.

Amen. Whichever parts of Kentucky's recruiting are legal, we ought to be doing it. I want to see as many of Knox, Zion, et al in Carolina Blue as is possible. Not with those blue clowns. But they are clearly doing something right.

UNC is in a tough spot for top 15 / OAD or aspiring NBA prospects. I'm old enough (31) to remember UNC pushing "place of the pros" through the 90's and having some early OAD's. Jordan / Worthy...UNC has always embraced the professional angle. You even pulled a guarantee recruit, Brendan Wright, out from under Tubby because he felt UNC was better for his NBA goals. It wasn't until it appeared UNC was off the radar for most OAD's and NBA prospects became the devil to some. And I think some of the problem starts there. I would think the last thing Carolina needs is the appearance of a negative pitch toward early entrees. The money is too great for some of these guys to pass up. Even K sold out to the idea because you can't beat the system, you have to adapt to it. Hating Cal because he was revolutionary in this model is unnecessary.

It seems like UNC lost momentum for OAD's when top prospects returned to school, in some cases for 4 years. When Duke started pushing for OAD's and landed prime UNC targets like Barnes, it's made it rough in the image department. And being a UK die hard I can tell ya, image is everything to OAD NBA prospects. They evaluate every single inch. We lost several recruits after the platoons simply based on negative pitches. The looming "will he platoon again" question in the recruiting circles. Nailed us hard.

That's not to say UNC won't compete for titles with the returnee model. It's just going to probably happen in cycles instead of yearly or maybe every couple of years.

I think If Roy had gone more "players coach" and carried on that thought process in 07 it wouldn't be as hard. But not all coaches want the headache of recycling rosters yearly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT