ADVERTISEMENT

Zion's decision

carolinablue34

Hall of Famer
Apr 21, 2016
Massachusetts
So I know we probably don't need another Zion thread, seeing as he is officially on the dark side now. But as much as it baffles me why he chose Duke, I think it's fair to analyze a bit what made him go to Durham.

K is on a roll, this cannot be denied. Even Cal pales in comparison to this current class. I think this is God awful for the college game in general, but what's done is done.

The thing is, RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish are already basically the same position as Zion. They are versatile players, but each is basically a 3 with flexibility at the 2 or 4. Maybe they make that work somehow, I don't know. But honest to God, dook was the last school in need of Zion. They already had the top class. So what was the motivation?

I have no idea what the pitch is from these guys right now, but whatever it is, it's working. They can basically get anyone they want and it's pretty nauseating.

I'm not in meltdown mode. I knew Zion wasn't coming here. It's just the fact that he chose those guys that makes this astounding to me. I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Reactions: 2000tiger
Forgetting all the "dook and oad and k and team USA " stuff..I Dont know what's happened to these players competitive drives. Seems to me it lined up perfectly for him to join little and go against Barrett and reddish. As a competitor, to me that would be much more appealing.

Forgetting all the "dook and oad and k and team USA " stuff..I Dont know what's happened to these players competitive drives. Seems to me it lined up perfectly for him to join little and go against Barrett and reddish. As a competitor, to me that would be much more appealing.
LeBron has happened to their competitive drive. It's essentially what he did when he went to Miami. Stack all the top talent on one team and see what happens. It's no guarantee of success (see 2010 Mavericks championship or any UK team other than 2012) but sometimes it works. Often times though, it doesn't. Most of these kids would rather play WITH the top talent than AGAINST it. They also, as a byproduct, protect their "brand" by not risking getting exposed for their deficiencies. It's the same concept as the NBA Draft and their propensity to rate upperclassmen lower because they have so much tape on them and can accurately highlight their shortcomings. If you're a freshman, only have to play a hand full of games against top talent, and can be "hidden" from being exposed, they jump on that opportunity. What's happening now is essentially the same thing that caused the NBA to institute the one and done rule. Used to be that the NBA GM's would draft so much on potential and bust more often than hit on talent. Now, they're just doing the same thing with minimal tape on these kids during their one year in the college game. It's a sad state for basketball, especially for competitive balance.

I assumed that Zion was going to Clemson and I was okay with that. I was also okay with him picking USC or Kansas but when he picked Dook, it just ticked me off. First, I don’t see them as a good fit with Barrett who demands the ball and second, I can’t believe he fell for the brotherhood bull$hit. There is no fraternity like at Carolina and to think Dook successfully sold that to him is nuts.

I hope Bol Bol uncommits from Oregon and chooses Duke too. Hell maybe Langford will choose them as well? Have they ever had a player commit to them w out receiving an offer?? Lulz

I don’t care who they have. I wanted Zion. I’m not in denile. But our class coming in is awesome and we still have the best coach :) in the game today.

Color me disappointed but not worried.

Reactions: Sk1310 and war-blue
The motivation is simple... Get me to a school that will get me to be most appealing to the NBA.

Hasn't monster recruiting classes happened before? Didn't we get Lawson, Ellington and Wright in one class (all #1 in their position). Similar to 2002 with Felton, McCants, May.

Kansas had 3 top 15 guys one year (Julian Wright, Chalmers, BRandon Rush)

I wouldn't blame monster recruiting classes on anything other than most really good players today want to go to the NBA and Calipari and K have the most NBA equity of all the coaches in college basketball.

I hope Bol Bol uncommits from Oregon and chooses Duke too. Hell maybe Langford will choose them as well? Have they ever had a player commit to them w out receiving an offer?? Lulz

I don’t care who they have. I wanted Zion. I’m not in denile. But our class coming in is awesome and we still have the best coach :) in the game today.

Color me disappointed but not worried.

I'm more or less the same. Roy has the pieces for a really good team after this year. But I still feel like we need that guy who will raise our brand again, like Michael Jordan did for us all those years ago. I wanted Zion to be that guy.

The motivation is simple... Get me to a school that will get me to be most appealing to the NBA.

Hasn't monster recruiting classes happened before? Didn't we get Lawson, Ellington and Wright in one class (all #1 in their position). Similar to 2002 with Felton, McCants, May.

Kansas had 3 top 15 guys one year (Julian Wright, Chalmers, BRandon Rush)

I wouldn't blame monster recruiting classes on anything other than most really good players today want to go to the NBA and Calipari and K have the most NBA equity of all the coaches in college basketball.

Wright was #3, Lawson #6 and Ellington #9. Still not 1,2,3.

I posted this over in the other Zion thread before I saw this one, but this is probably a more appropriate place for it. Sorry for the double post.

I think you guys aren't looking inside the mind of todays typical OAD college "star". Z is a bit on the heavy side so he would have to lose some weight and make a time in the run to qualify to start at UNC .. anywhere else he just shows up, starts and plays. At UNC he would actually have competition, and have to compete for minutes .. anywhere else he just shows up and plays as he wants. At UNC he would have to play defense to play .. and you see the premium dook puts on defense to get playing time. At UNC he would be forced to be a team player .. a freshman that would have to learn things like respect and humility .. things that will serve one well later in life .. at dook .. make up your own jokes about that one. He also said he wanted to develop his game. A big going to dook to develop their game is like me going to the bar to get religion. My point being is that Zion went to dook because he's probably lazy and took the easy way out. All he does is show up play. Only thing is that if he ends up on a team like this years then he may end up like Carter and Bag in that the only time he touches the ball is if he can rebound. We shall see. jmho

The problem is we have so many upperclassmen that there is not a red carpet spot to start from the start. Duke turns over it's roster every year so every year they are a top destination for recruits. Let's just hope they end up being busts. Not every top recruit is Bagley.

Reactions: alabamaheel
The problem is we have so many upperclassmen that there is not a red carpet spot to start from the start. Duke turns over it's roster every year so every year they are a top destination for recruits. Let's just hope they end up being busts. Not every top recruit is Bagley.

I get what you’re saying but next year the red carpet is rolled out and vacuumed for Nas.

Bingo, and Cal is living through that situation right now.

When was the last time Roy played a freshman more than 25 minutes a game?
I think that was a big factor in Zion decision.

aebe61c77203ce240732fa60beb089ff4ad22319236a2e871df699bd40c4cab3.jpg.cf.jpg

When was the last time a freshman earned 25 minutes a game?
Exactly! Roy plays the players who earn playing time & I'm good with that. Impressive high school rankings don't always mean a player is ready to compete against college talent. Some people are way too focused on high school rankings &/or NBA potential, when it comes to college basketball.

So in a year where you have a freshman in Brooks who started at the first of the year, and you have a former walk-on that is one of the teams leading scorers, and you have two of your most consistent players in Berry, and Pinson, leaving after this year, you don’t think Williamson would be good enough to get 25 minutes a game next year? Not a soul on that team this year, nor any recruits, have his skill set. He would have gotten 25 minutes and then some.

But he will have earned that playing time not be handed when he steps foot on campus.... And even ESPN at first used the term “phenom dunker commits to Duke”... Roy probably asked him to do other things then dunk

Reactions: 2000tiger
I get what you’re saying but next year the red carpet is rolled out and vacuumed for Nas.
Is it? If Cam returns where do our freshman slot?

PG is Felton or Woods. SG is Williams. SF is Cam

Do we go small with Nassir?

And Maye at the 5?

Is it as red carpeted as we think? Where did Zion slot in as a starter there? Obviously White is not going to start then.

Did we bench Cam or Kenny for Zion and Nassir to start? Hell we are talking about White being an elite talent but if he is 1 and done he messed up coming here as he won't even start.

We have too many upperclassmen right now who are good enough to demand starting time.

If everyone returns, where does Zion and Nassir slot in as starters?

We have too many upperclassmen right now who are good enough to demand starting time.

You say that like it’s a bad thing? I think that’s ****ing awesome.

Look I don’t have the answers you’re looking for. Who stays who goes I haven’t a clue. But I’ll guarantee you Nas starts next year. Maybe the 1 maybe the 2 maybe the 3 maybe the 4 maybe the 5. :) but he will start.

Is it? If Cam returns where do our freshman slot?

PG is Felton or Woods. SG is Williams. SF is Cam

Do we go small with Nassir?

And Maye at the 5?

Is it as red carpeted as we think? Where did Zion slot in as a starter there? Obviously White is not going to start then.

Did we bench Cam or Kenny for Zion and Nassir to start? Hell we are talking about White being an elite talent but if he is 1 and done he messed up coming here as he won't even start.

If everyone returns, where does Zion and Nassir slot in as starters?

Nassir is next years Pinson. He starts day one, unless Robinson becomes MJ 2.0 between year 2 & 3. & you're confusing me with the Zion references, he's with the dark side now.

Nassir is next years Pinson. He starts day one, unless Robinson becomes MJ 2.0 between year 2 & 3. & you're confusing me with the Zion references, he's with the dark side now.
I do not know how you are confused. I said why would Zion come to Carolina if he wasn't sure if he would start. Who are you benching to bring in Zion? Williams? Cam? Nassir? Maye?

Zion wasn't going to come here because he didn't have a guaranteed starter spot.

We have to go small ball just to find Nassir a starting spot and you know how little Roy likes small balling.

I do not know how you are confused. I said why would Zion come to Carolina if he wasn't sure if he would start. Who are you benching to bring in Zion? Williams? Cam? Nassir? Maye?

Zion wasn't going to come here because he didn't have a guaranteed starter spot.

We have to go small ball just to find Nassir a starting spot and you know how little Roy likes small balling.

True

and Zion probably knows K would kick Carter and Trent Jr to the Curb if they wanted to return.

Reactions: midline
If everyone returns, where does Zion & Nassir slot in as starters? That was your last sentence. Pretty confusing if you don't read the whole post I guess (which I didn't).

So I know we probably don't need another Zion thread, seeing as he is officially on the dark side now. But as much as it baffles me why he chose Duke, I think it's fair to analyze a bit what made him go to Durham.

K is on a roll, this cannot be denied. Even Cal pales in comparison to this current class. I think this is God awful for the college game in general, but what's done is done.

The thing is, RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish are already basically the same position as Zion. They are versatile players, but each is basically a 3 with flexibility at the 2 or 4. Maybe they make that work somehow, I don't know. But honest to God, dook was the last school in need of Zion. They already had the top class. So what was the motivation?

I have no idea what the pitch is from these guys right now, but whatever it is, it's working. They can basically get anyone they want and it's pretty nauseating.

I'm not in meltdown mode. I knew Zion wasn't coming here. It's just the fact that he chose those guys that makes this astounding to me. I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.
I see it as simply a wise and calculated move by kids that are being forced to play 1 year when they are already a NBA lottery pick if allowed into the draft immediately. Going to a proven coach that will hand the reigns over to your OAD crew to work in a Golden State Warriors type of positionless spread NBA skill set while being legit NCAA title contenders for your forced year in college makes sense

They are not going to fit into a schools system, or play a position of need for the college team. They are going to do 1 year together playing and developing a skill set they are going to be asked to do on their job next year.

Getting the defense development is the only problem for such a short stay.

I see it as simply a wise and calculated move by kids that are being forced to play 1 year when they are already a NBA lottery pick if allowed into the draft immediately. Going to a proven coach that will hand the reigns over to your OAD crew to work in a Golden State Warriors type of positionless spread NBA skill set while being legit NCAA title contenders for your forced year in college makes sense

They are not going to fit into a schools system, or play a position of need for the college team. They are going to do 1 year together playing and developing a skill set they are going to be asked to do on their job next year.

Getting the defense development is the only problem for such a short stay.
Players are being kept out of the league till a certain age for a variety of reasons (all debatable)
But,
No one is forcing them to go to college.

Minor side-note I know but I think it’s important.

Players are being kept out of the league till a certain age for a variety of reasons (all debatable)
But,
No one is forcing them to go to college.

Minor side-note I know but I think it’s important.
I see that as semantics. True they are not technically"forced" but for all practical purposes they are all but forced. If you have to wait a year, you do what you have to.

2020 will probvably be the first year that high school kids can jump to NBA.

For whatever reason we just don't seem to be "in" with top flight can't miss recruits these days. We can't blame this on the "scandal" either. Life goes on and we do have a good class coming in but let's be honest him going to Durham and K is extremely discouraging as a Heel fan. He may only be there one year but we have got to start landing some of these guys again.

Reactions: HEELS111
I see that as semantics. True they are not technically"forced" but for all practical purposes they are all but forced. If you have to wait a year, you do what you have to.
Fair enough though I take issue with the term ‘forced’. It implies kid go against their free will.

Also, in an indirect way, there's an air of entitlement to access to the NBA when I’ve always believed there are only 3-4 players in each year group who’re really ready to play and develop in the league by the age of 18 with most others needing greater physical (and mental) maturity.

The term ‘forced’ is often used to imply a negative aspect to playing college ball and my take is, if you're really good enough to play pro as an 18yrold and don't want to go to college, well there's plenty of places in the world you can play without being 'forced' to lift a pencil or read a book.

Basically, as a college hoops fan, I only want to watch college players, not kids who are 'forced' into a charade..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT