ADVERTISEMENT

Zion's decision

Fair enough though I take issue with the term ‘forced’. It implies kid go against their free will.

Also, in an indirect way, there's an air of entitlement to access to the NBA when I’ve always believed there are only 3-4 players in each year group who’re really ready to play and develop in the league by the age of 18 with most others needing greater physical (and mental) maturity.

The term ‘forced’ is often used to imply a negative aspect to playing college ball and my take is, if you're really good enough to play pro as an 18yrold and don't want to go to college, well there's plenty of places in the world you can play without being 'forced' to lift a pencil or read a book.

Basically, as a college hoops fan, I only want to watch college players, not kids who are 'forced' into a charade..
I agree few are ready to immediately play at a top level in the NBA, but they certainly continue to develop. The millions guaranteed and the investment by the team assures very dedicated people to develop their NBA skills.

Guys like Jermaine O' Neal opened up many eyes, he sat on the bench for 2 years with Portland after going straight from high school. He certainly got coached up, and when he did play he had 2 years service towards the all important second free agent contract, which turned into a max deal with his age and league experience being major factors. It also makes a 3rd lucrative contract very possible with age at the time it arrives still being "in the prime years". The earning window is small in professional sports, Savy kids and agents are trying to max out their 7 figure earning years.

I would have loved Tony Bradley back at UNC, he is not NBA ready now for significant playing time, and how he develops will determine how long he sticks around and the amount he will command. He has the 7 figures yearly deal while he and the Jazz try to develop his skills as opposed to a national stage and big man on campus college years while trying to develop at UNC. There are plenty each year that teams would gladly pay well to have them under contract to develop. The G-league is going to grow quickly!!!! Let them go don't "force" a year in college.

Last edited:
We have just been to back to back Championship games, and reasonably in the next 2-3 years we will prolly see another Final four. I ain't mad at all!

Zion as I have said before will struggle with his jumper in his one year in college, still think he will be a load, but we have a nice nuclease of talent both coming and currently here. We are just fine, while Z is struggling in the NBA, our guys will be playing for Natty's

Reactions: 2000tiger
For whatever reason we just don't seem to be "in" with top flight can't miss recruits these days. We can't blame this on the "scandal" either. Life goes on and we do have a good class coming in but let's be honest him going to Durham and K is extremely discouraging as a Heel fan. He may only be there one year but we have got to start landing some of these guys again.

i suggest you watch Little play

To the OP, do your homework, many freshmen have started and played starter minutes under Roy.

Lyin Zion and his people have upset a lot of imsiders. He is now the enemy.

TH played 30 minutes per game as freshman.
Bradley 14
Berry 12
Brice 10
Kendall Marshall 24
Paige 29
Theo 12
Maye 5
Top players are pampered from 4 th grade on. They all see the NBA money . They want to play 30-35 minutes and showcase their talent. Roy’s system works for players like Jackson and others who stay several years. Problem is today’s top 25 players are fast tracking to the league.

When was the last time Roy played a freshman more than 25 minutes a game?
I think that was a big factor in Zion decision.
It's not about why he didn't go to UNC, it's about why he didn't go somewhere that actually made a lick of sense.

He could have gone to Clemson and played every second he wanted to and been featured, instead of chasing the ball on offensive rebounds at dook like Wendell Carter. Hell, he could play half the minutes here and touch the ball more than he will at dook.

If you think there was anything legit in that decision, well... :rolleyes::p

I want players to come here because they want to become a part of the great UNC tradition. To build a Tar Heel legacy. If they're just using any school as a speed bump to the draft, I have no regrets if they go elsewhere. Yes, even if it's Duke.

I want players to come here because they want to become a part of the great UNC tradition. To build a Tar Heel legacy. If they're just using any school as a speed bump to the draft, I have no regrets if they go elsewhere. Yes, even if it's Duke.

Totally agree. That is exactly my thoughts after watching videos of Justin's ceremony from yesterday. I get this same feeling when I listen to Senior Day speeches from Marcus and Kennedy. Give me those kids who want to come here because they've always dreamed about playing for Carolina, love Coach Williams, want to be a part of a Family that goes beyond their time at Carolina and give their all for their teammates because they have bought into that one common goal which is to do what is best for the TEAM. And by buying into this, these kids have been able to achieve such great things that have put them into the Tar Heel history books and make us as fans talk about them for years to come.
I think Coach Williams is a testament to what is great about being a basketball coach and a teacher of young men because he stays true to what he said to each kid from Day 1 and never stops pushing them and caring about them. And you know what he doesn't just try to teach them lessons on the basketball court, he makes just as much of an effort off the court to teach them values that they can take with them as they go on.
I think Marcus's line from his speech says it all "I tried to be every bit of the player you wanted me to be, but you made me a better man and that's the most important thing. I am 10 times a better man than when I got here and that's the most important thing."

Last edited:
Reactions: Heels5150
I mean how can he possibly miss?

I could coach this year and next year with their talent and at least make the Final Four. So could everyone here. Surely the great one will have no problems. Probably go undefeated next year.

Is it time to stop watching basketball and start watching a competitive sport like curling? Thank God the Winter Olympics are coming up.

Reactions: venom660turbo
Jordan Tucker, Sean Obi, Chase Jeter, Derrick Thornton, Semi Ojeleye, Rasheed Sulaimon, Alex Murphy, Michael Gbinije, Olek, Czyz, Elliott Williams, Taylor King, ( Getting TIRED from typing ALL these names!!!) it goes on and on..................Jamal Boykin, Eric Boateng, Michael Thompson, Andre Sweet, Chris Burgess, Mike Chappell, Bil Mccaffrey, Crawford Palmer

The brotherhood of Vader...stay tuned more names will surely be added

They haven't looked like the best team this year, as defense matters too. I'd say their odds of winning it all are only 10% or so, maybe slightly better than ours.

Not sure how good they'll be next year, but even the most dominant teams who've proved it up until tournament time don't usually have more than a 1 in 3 chance at the title.

Odds have to be against them even getting one in the next two years. Wouldn't doubt they'll win the recruiting championship next year too though. :cool:

Well if we just come off a damn national championship and back to back final fours and still can't get a top 5 guy (Little is close I will concede), I don't see any way where we will end up getting them in the future. We have a massive hole at the forward slot and Zion would play 30 MPG the minute he sets foot on campus.

I hate to say it but I think their odds of winning it all this year are very good. Not 2009 UNC good, but not too far off. So much talent.

We're only halfway through the season. They are still making freshman mistakes - understandable when they have 4 freshmen on the court at the same time so much. But there's plenty of time to learn, and fix things.

I glanced at NBAdraft.net yesterday and Duke was projected to have 4 first-round picks this year and next. With Zion, that will be 5 next year. They could be wrong, of course, but probably not too wrong.

I hate to say it but I think their odds of winning it all this year are very good. Not 2009 UNC good, but not too far off. So much talent.

We're only halfway through the season. They are still making freshman mistakes - understandable when they have 4 freshmen on the court at the same time so much. But there's plenty of time to learn, and fix things.

I glanced at NBAdraft.net yesterday and Duke was projected to have 4 first-round picks this year and next. With Zion, that will be 5 next year. They could be wrong, of course, but probably not too wrong.
But we've all seen it happen often where all those freshman mistakes resurface during the pressure cooker that is the NCAA tourney. Just ask all those OAD's on Kentucky last year. Our upperclassmen (Kennedy, Theo, etc) made the quick, smart decision to push that ball up the court leading to Luke's dagger.

Reactions: germantondevil
As I said in another thread before Zion announced, I'm perfectly happy with our current lineup for next year.

I expect good improvements from at least a couple of our bigs. They'll need to work hard in the off-season, but the potential is there. Imagine Brooks with more strength and playing his natural PF position as Luke's backup. Imagine Manley with stamina and more strength. Imagine Huff with improved hands and a better grasp of Roy's system. All of those are reasonable expectations. Plus Nas will play some of his minutes on he front line.

Luke will be Luke. I don't know how much more upside he has, but he's given us more every year. I won't be surprised if he improves again as a senior.

Kenny is solid. He's starting to get a little chip on his shoulder. A little swagger. I expect him to improve another notch as a senior. Especially on offense - where now he seems to be mainly a first half option.

I expect Cam to stick around for his final year of eligibility. He'll be even better with most of a year under his belt in Roy's system.

Despite faltering much of the season so far, I expect Jalek to ready and raring to go next year.

I'm not sure about Seventh, but I hope he'll be healthy and happy to be here next season.

BRob is already showing signs of turning the corner. He will be a superb sub for Cam, Kenny or Nas.

Andrew - a.k.a. Mini-Luke - works well on the court now. If his vaunted outside shot emerges, he will be a contributor.

I can't wait to see Coby White. A lot of frosh need a year for their advertised scoring abilities to show up. But I have a feeling Coby isn't a lot of frosh. We'll see.

I'm curious what we'll see with Leaky. Intriguing, but unclear. If Cam returns, we won't need him to be ready to go. But he could help.

The biggest question mark to start next season will be at point. And Zion would have made little difference there. Some, since he would draw defenders and be a good passing target, but not crucial.

jmho

Reactions: MWHeels
Mods, can we please merge all these Zion threads?

The chances of him coming to UNC have always been very slim. Now I understand that many are surprised that he chose d00k vs Clensum or UK. Bottom line, if he wants dook, that's where he should go. Period.

But we've all seen it happen often where all those freshman mistakes resurface during the pressure cooker that is the NCAA tourney. Just ask all those OAD's on Kentucky last year. Our upperclassmen (Kennedy, Theo, etc) made the quick, smart decision to push that ball up the court leading to Luke's dagger.
True, but I don't see a team I'd give better odds to. Do you? I mean there are some good teams, to be sure. And I'd definitely bet the field rather than bet Duke. But if I had to pick just one team to go all the way, it would be Duke.

I hope we can inflict a lose on them this season. But I doubt they will lose more than a couple more.

just may go to show the amount of talent that choose to come and cant beat out better talent.....also a good many went back to areas close to home and who actually became difference makers in their new place...semi (year and half of sitting)...gbinjie (totally diff position)...williams (#1 option)....mcaffery (saw the writing on the wall with hurley)

I am fine with the decision. The pressure that is going to be on that team will be incredible. Nothing less than a title and it will be a busted year for dook

You are right, let them have all the press and have to live up to those expectations. Because you know what I love our chances with our guys next year, I am super excited with the 3 kids coming in who as extremely motivated and hard working who will fit in perfectly with what we already have. They always wanted to be here and will give their all in order to be like those Heels they use to look up to. Roy is going to continue to coach up our young bigs and as the dookies play their unselfish basketball and struggle to find a chemistry, we will continue to play team basketball and have a great connection allowing us to continue win the way we always have, together as a team. We will have great leaders in Luke and Kenny next year who know what it takes and will be there for our freshman to help them become acclimated to Roy's system. They can have their recruiting titles, I'll take the ones in April that actually count, the ones that end with us cutting down the nets and wearing some really big rings.

Reactions: Heels5150
True, but I don't see a team I'd give better odds to. Do you? I mean there are some good teams, to be sure. And I'd definitely bet the field rather than bet Duke. But if I had to pick just one team to go all the way, it would be Duke.

I hope we can inflict a lose on them this season. But I doubt they will lose more than a couple more.
Well, I can't give an honest opinion on dook, as I haven't seen them play yet this year. I refuse to watch any of their games, other than vs. the Heels.

I sure hope that their D continues to be mediocre, and that all their rentals fail in the NCAAT once again.

Well if we just come off a damn national championship and back to back final fours and still can't get a top 5 guy (Little is close I will concede), I don't see any way where we will end up getting them in the future. We have a massive hole at the forward slot and Zion would play 30 MPG the minute he sets foot on campus.

I know it's easy to get caught up in recruiting rankings. Keep this in mind though. Kennedy Meeks won a national title. Brandon Ingram didn't. I'm fine with the players we currently bring in.

dookies can spin this anyway they want; maybe a few had legit reasons for leaving. But it basically comes down to the rat over-recruiting and then not giving a $#!+ about some of these kids.

brotherhood, my arse

Reactions: FranktheHeel
just may go to show the amount of talent that choose to come and cant beat out better talent.....also a good many went back to areas close to home and who actually became difference makers in their new place...semi (year and half of sitting)...gbinjie (totally diff position)...williams (#1 option)....mcaffery (saw the writing on the wall with hurley)
...sayeth k's "Ministry of Information".

As I said in another thread before Zion announced, I'm perfectly happy with our current lineup for next year.

I expect good improvements from at least a couple of our bigs. They'll need to work hard in the off-season, but the potential is there. Imagine Brooks with more strength and playing his natural PF position as Luke's backup. Imagine Manley with stamina and more strength. Imagine Huff with improved hands and a better grasp of Roy's system. All of those are reasonable expectations. Plus Nas will play some of his minutes on he front line.

Luke will be Luke. I don't know how much more upside he has, but he's given us more every year. I won't be surprised if he improves again as a senior.

Kenny is solid. He's starting to get a little chip on his shoulder. A little swagger. I expect him to improve another notch as a senior. Especially on offense - where now he seems to be mainly a first half option.

I expect Cam to stick around for his final year of eligibility. He'll be even better with most of a year under his belt in Roy's system.

Despite faltering much of the season so far, I expect Jalek to ready and raring to go next year.

I'm not sure about Seventh, but I hope he'll be healthy and happy to be here next season.

BRob is already showing signs of turning the corner. He will be a superb sub for Cam, Kenny or Nas.

Andrew - a.k.a. Mini-Luke - works well on the court now. If his vaunted outside shot emerges, he will be a contributor.

I can't wait to see Coby White. A lot of frosh need a year for their advertised scoring abilities to show up. But I have a feeling Coby isn't a lot of frosh. We'll see.

I'm curious what we'll see with Leaky. Intriguing, but unclear. If Cam returns, we won't need him to be ready to go. But he could help.

The biggest question mark to start next season will be at point. And Zion would have made little difference there. Some, since he would draw defenders and be a good passing target, but not crucial.

jmho

I agree 100%

Yeah we'll see. They've not played like the consensus #1 team so far, but it could change.

I do not even want to hear any of this crap, Yeah they win game 1 and 2 and escape weekend 1 but the next 4 games after that they can potentially lose any of those just an example would be teams they have played

Texas, Florida, Michigan st. and then if they make it through teams built like that then Nova...

Not even a chance that is how it played out, but I do believe it was down to Dook and Clemson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT