ADVERTISEMENT

Zion's decision

You are right, let them have all the press and have to live up to those expectations. Because you know what I love our chances with our guys next year, I am super excited with the 3 kids coming in who as extremely motivated and hard working who will fit in perfectly with what we already have. They always wanted to be here and will give their all in order to be like those Heels they use to look up to. Roy is going to continue to coach up our young bigs and as the dookies play their unselfish basketball and struggle to find a chemistry, we will continue to play team basketball and have a great connection allowing us to continue win the way we always have, together as a team. We will have great leaders in Luke and Kenny next year who know what it takes and will be there for our freshman to help them become acclimated to Roy's system. They can have their recruiting titles, I'll take the ones in April that actually count, the ones that end with us cutting down the nets and wearing some really big rings.
Perfectly said!!!!!!!

I do not even want to hear any of this crap, Yeah they win game 1 and 2 and escape weekend 1 but the next 4 games after that they can potentially lose any of those...
Sure, that's basically the scenario for all top seeds.

Even our 2009 team was only about 25% likely to go all the way at the beginning of the tournament. And we were awesome.

The reason UNC was I back to back national championship games is the same reason Duke will not win a Natty this year. If you notice from the rise of mid majors and us that experience plays a huge role tourney time. I will say there best chance out of the two years is this year and partly because of sir trip alot having experience.

Duke ain't ------!

Last edited:
There are a lot of guys in the NBA that might joke about (the Carolina family)," Jackson said. "What I've realized is that it's jealousy. They wish they had that same type of feel. But they don't.

Let’s focus on the guys who have chosen to join the family.

Reactions: MWHeels and Archer2
IF true.... and what is likely the biggest decision of his life (so far), came down to a coin flip, then I’m not sure I want him on my team anyway. I’d prefer someone who thoroughly analyzes and makes the best decision possible.

I like what we’re gonna have next year but I’m very curious to see how the PG position shakes out. Will seventh or Jalek get the keys? I would’ve sworn it would have been Felton’s team next year but after seeing him perform this year, there is no way Roy will tolerate the halfa$$ effort on the defensive end. I can see Seventh getting the start early in the season solely because he plays hard on both ends of the court.

Well if we just come off a damn national championship and back to back final fours and still can't get a top 5 guy (Little is close I will concede), I don't see any way where we will end up getting them in the future. We have a massive hole at the forward slot and Zion would play 30 MPG the minute he sets foot on campus.
30 minutes would not be guaranteed under Roy and is probably a reason we lost him and I’m okay with that

Reactions: JimmyinVA
We've played in the last game of the season for two years straight with a title to show for it. We had zero oad's (Bradley wasn't considered a oad coming in) while everyone else was loading up on them. Needless to say, I'm not too worried. I wanted Zion before we got Little, but since Little committed I didn't want Zion anymore. Just seems like it would complicate things too much. Our future looks promising.

Reactions: MWHeels
LeBron has happened to their competitive drive. It's essentially what he did when he went to Miami. Stack all the top talent on one team and see what happens. It's no guarantee of success (see 2010 Mavericks championship or any UK team other than 2012) but sometimes it works. Often times though, it doesn't. Most of these kids would rather play WITH the top talent than AGAINST it. They also, as a byproduct, protect their "brand" by not risking getting exposed for their deficiencies. It's the same concept as the NBA Draft and their propensity to rate upperclassmen lower because they have so much tape on them and can accurately highlight their shortcomings. If you're a freshman, only have to play a hand full of games against top talent, and can be "hidden" from being exposed, they jump on that opportunity. What's happening now is essentially the same thing that caused the NBA to institute the one and done rule. Used to be that the NBA GM's would draft so much on potential and bust more often than hit on talent. Now, they're just doing the same thing with minimal tape on these kids during their one year in the college game. It's a sad state for basketball, especially for competitive balance.

Great post.....

UK has been doing it for almost 10 years and the dookies are right behind them. The OAD kids are there because they have to be. They are indirectly playing for the name on the back of the jersey and not the front. Let’s go play with our buddies and take the easy way out instead of going head to head against the best.

Anyone that’s ever watched “Michael Jordan Airtime” knows there is a part where MJ talks about Magic retiring and MJ talks about he isn’t on there level yet and he feels “cheated” because he’ll never get to continue going against one of the greatest.

JB2 shedding tears last year against Gonzaga when he knew they’d won. That’s what I want. Kids who get it and literally put in the blood, sweat and tears to achieve TEAM goals while bettering themselves as individuals. The OAD and Lonzo Balls (declare for the NBA 20 minutes after losing in March) of the world can go elsewhere.

We’re good and we’re going to continue to be good as long as we have Roy around.

Great post.....

UK has been doing it for almost 10 years and the dookies are right behind them. The OAD kids are there because they have to be. They are indirectly playing for the name on the back of the jersey and not the front. Let’s go play with our buddies and take the easy way out instead of going head to head against the best.

Anyone that’s ever watched “Michael Jordan Airtime” knows there is a part where MJ talks about Magic retiring and MJ talks about he isn’t on there level yet and he feels “cheated” because he’ll never get to continue going against one of the greatest.

JB2 shedding tears last year against Gonzaga when he knew they’d won. That’s what I want. Kids who get it and literally put in the blood, sweat and tears to achieve TEAM goals while bettering themselves as individuals. The OAD and Lonzo Balls (declare for the NBA 20 minutes after losing in March) of the world can go elsewhere.

We’re good and we’re going to continue to be good as long as we have Roy around.
I agree with much of what you have said. Having a mix of young elite talent with veteran very good but not great next level talents is a great recipe. The roster makeup has served Roy well the past two years. With Little and White infusing some raw talent and our upper class mainly returning, it bodes well for our Heels next season.

A couple minor differences of opinion though that I have. One, Roy wanted the OAD's, it wasn't by design. The scandal in that sense was a blessing in disguise. When Ingram and the like went elsewhere we developed in a quite different manner out of necessity not quite by design.

Second, although I agree it is awfully difficult to get a a team full of OAD players to go all in for the college team, I think Cal has done that at Kentucky. If you look at Berry's reaction after winning the championship it fits well with Fox, Bam, and Monk's heartfelt tearful interviews after Luke Maye's last second shot. They knew they had 1 year, one shot at getting that title for them and Kentucky, and it meant every bit as much to them representing the front of their jersey as well.

Last edited:
Yes, I'll agree Roy wants OAD talent, BUT he does not want to build his team around them. That is the big difference.

No team that has relied heavily on elite freshman has won a national title. Even when you consider Kentucky in 2012 and Duke in 2015, both of those teams had plenty of experienced players to complement the elite freshmen. The revolving door roster management doesn't work. There's a reason Roy has 3 titles and Calipari has 1.

Well, I never believed he was coming to us, heard a lot of rumors but really thought he was going to Clemson. Would have preferred he not go to duke but not really upset at all that he didn't pick us.

His picking duke means IMO they now have the top 3 talents in this class and I am sure they are very happy about that but there is a problem there. All 3 of those recruits are extremely talented but all 3 are essentially the same player, they are 3-4s. Now if they were 3 clearly different position players, say a center, a power forward, and a wing it would be bad for us. But being the same type of players yeah they can put Barrett at the 2, Reddish at the 3, Zion at the 4 but it is not so unlike Ky now with 3 very similar 4-3s with 2 of them out of position. Ky fans are today railing against this position-less player deal and some very unhappy with kal over it, welcome to that problem dukies!

As for us not getting Zion, first I have already shared that IMO what Zion was able to do at the high school level may not translate as quickly to the college game as many feel it will. Kid is immense talent, don't get me wrong but he got so much vs high school boys by being able to over power them, just not convinced that will be as easy at the college level vs guys that have been in college S/C programs for multiple years.

Next, had we got Zion and Cam came back, all the sudden we have a issue with PT at the wing or the 4, depending on where Zion would have slotted in. If at the 4 then Luke shifted to the 5 and I would think Manley at the 5 (as a soph) and Luke at the 4 is a look I want to see. If Zion went to the 3 then Cam off the bench and leaky is 3rd in line at the 3, not exactly ideal either. Little starts at the 3 or 4 anyway so Zion just would have really complicated things and forced us in to starting 2 freshmen while other guys that do need the PT sat.

I have spoke to these things before so this can not be considered sour grapes on my part for our not getting him or his picking duke.

I don't think we needed Zion at all. We need a dominant big guy to compliment Sterling ... who, in my opinion, has been awesome. Not awesome by usual standards (yet), but awesome in that he's playing better than I expected him to (so I'm happy as hell with him). We need to get Luke back to the 4 (he is NOT a back-to-the basket 5), and with all of our guards and wings, and with Roy at the helm, we will be awesome .... as usual. Go Heels!

I don't think we needed Zion at all. We need a dominant big guy to compliment Sterling ... who, in my opinion, has been awesome. Not awesome by usual standards (yet), but awesome in that he's playing better than I expected him to (so I'm happy as hell with him). We need to get Luke back to the 4 (he is NOT a back-to-the basket 5), and with all of our guards and wings, and with Roy at the helm, we will be awesome .... as usual. Go Heels!
We don't need anything. We need to recruit an 09 dominant inside player when Maye is about to graduate so a starting spot is open to entice a big.

Reactions: DSouthr

I agree that Manley has surpassed expectations this year. I enjoy watching him improve with each game. I think Brooks can also make a significant jump next year with the added experience of playing the rest of this season and a full off-season of strength and conditioning. The future is bright.

Go Heels!

Reactions: DSouthr
The reason UNC was I back to back national championship games is the same reason Duke will not win a Natty this year. If you notice from the rise of mid majors and us that experience plays a huge role tourney time. I will say there best chance out of the two years is this year and partly because of sir trip alot having experience.

Duke ain't ------!

agree with the back to back part....UNC had tremendous talent that stayed in school and created a very experienced team that was able to get to the pinnacle....this season for duke def is better chances than last season...a true point guard, inside presence, and less reliant on the 3-ball

I have no idea what the pitch is from these guys right now, but whatever it is, it's working. They can basically get anyone they want and it's pretty nauseating.

Dude, you had a Duke fan on DI have to tell you that what Roy is doing is working after you went over there with a mini little pro-Duke rant.

I think it's your obsession with Duke that is pretty nauseating.

None of Duke's "elite" recruits from last year got one of these.
hqdefault.jpg

Dude, you had a Duke fan on DI have to tell you that what Roy is doing is working after you went over there with a mini little pro-Duke rant.

I think it's your obsession with Duke that is pretty nauseating.

I said Roys pitch needs to change not his style or coaching.

Like it or not, we measure ourselves against the only other programs with the kind of success we’ve had. Duke is our biggest rival, and I want to beat them they way they’ve been beating us. Nothing about what I said, was pro-Duke. Merely an acknowledgment of the current situation.

Roy has won more National Titles and ACC Regular Season Titles than K since he came home to UNC. Duke has the recruiting titles though. Oh well, can't win them all.

Roy has won more National Titles and ACC Regular Season Titles than K since he came home to UNC. Duke has the recruiting titles though. Oh well, can't win them all.
Yep... in fact, it looks a little something like this:

Natty’s: 3-2 UNC
FinalFours: 5-3 UNC
Elite8’s: 8-4 UNC
ACC Regular Season Champs: 8-3 UNC

However, dook does lead us in first round exits 4-0, so they got that going for ‘em.

Yep... in fact, it looks a little something like this:

Natty’s: 3-2 UNC
FinalFours: 5-3 UNC
Elite8’s: 8-4 UNC
ACC Regular Season Champs: 8-3 UNC

However, dook does lead us in first round exits 4-0, so they got that going for ‘em.

Thanks for doing the research I don't feel like doing right now.

Now, convo done, Mark wins.

I said Roys pitch needs to change not his style or coaching.

Like it or not, we measure ourselves against the only other programs with the kind of success we’ve had. Duke is our biggest rival, and I want to beat them they way they’ve been beating us. Nothing about what I said, was pro-Duke. Merely an acknowledgment of the current situation.

How you coach must change if you under take the commitment to the 1&D process as Ky and duke have done. You literally have to dumb everything down because your guys getting the majority of the PT do not have the experience gained over multiple years to properly execute more complicated systems as Roy wants on either end of the court.

Point being to do what duke and Ky have done in successfully getting the big time recruiting yes it would force Roy to coach differently and IMO that is not a worthy trade off, considering we have just played in the last 2 natty games and are the defending champions.

Reactions: Littlejon
Yeah that sucks but big picture is UNC has been better.

Yeah I can think of at least 4 of those games that we had totally in hand and kind of choked away in the last minutes. The record really should be much closer to .500 at worst.

The rivers shot game, the game at Cameron in 15 where we were way up with a minute to go, and the 16 home game where Roy got his ass kicked and let Ingram go one on one for ten straight minutes without making an adjustment.

Last edited:
agree with the back to back part....UNC had tremendous talent that stayed in school and created a very experienced team that was able to get to the pinnacle....this season for duke def is better chances than last season...a true point guard, inside presence, and less reliant on the 3-ball

I disagree boogie, we had good talent but not tremendous, you guys had tremendous talent last year for example, this one as well. The difference is our talent has stayed long enough to develop closer to their upside than yours. Now scary would be your talent all staying for 4yrs to get closer to their upsides that now days is not seen till they get to the NBA.

Reactions: tw3301 and Archer2
His parents liked Duke. Isn’t it obvious? But, where were you guys? Roy had one job. One. Damned. Job. Make sure Duke didn’t land the best recruiting class ever. And Ole’ Roy Boy dropped the soap like a fish on his first night in prison. Guess what? We only have to play Duke once. You get to be jailsex’ed by them two or three times! By Zion’s own admission, we’re a long ways from home. Otherwise I’d hop in the car and watch the game in Chapel Hill myself. Have fun with getting posterized by the Michelin Man. Poke him after your games and he’ll go, “Hee Hee!”
HMMM, maybe the michelin man will improve his draft stock, by not playing! yep that's exactly how K sold him, hey we can get you in the first round, and all you have to play in is around 15 games!!!

Some seem to prefer winning head to head and those mythical recruiting titles to winning the National Title. I think their priorities are out of whack. But to each his own, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT