ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

I’d forgotten that we added a new TE coach recently. I think we’re getting a very good TE coach in John Lilly, he’s had success wherever he’s been. I’ve always thought that a very good TE is an effective weapon to have in your arsenal. We have some young, albeit talented players at this position. Time will tell if Longo uses them a bit more in year two.

”During his year in Cleveland, Lilly's tight ends produced the fourth-most TD receptions in the NFL and his unit was one of only two groups in the league that had four tight ends catch a touchdown pass.”
I wonder if Mack has encouraged Longo to use the TE more, at least as safety valve receiver. In the 2005 Texas champiopnship season, the TE (whose name I cannot recall) was a nearly perfect safety valve receiver. Almost every time that Young completed a pass when forced out of the pocket and unable to run for yards, he hit the TE. The TE never seemed to be even the 2nd option of a pass play, but he was great at getting open for Young to find when the top 2 or 3 options were covered.

I see Ruder as the clear cut favorite to backup Howell this year. I’m glad we have him because in the event Sam were to be injured, it’s nice to have a backup with at least some game experience. We may see him used in some red zone packages to take advantage of his running ability.

As for Boaz, I think he’s underrated as a QB. But as @jakeallen32 said, the amount of talent we have at QB will probably see him moved elsewhere in order to receive more PT. Boaz plays basketball, is quite athletic, and I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have very good hands. I think he could excel at TE and as stated above, that position is wide open and for the taking.

I think the game plan will be opened up a little more this year and we may see the TE utilized a bit more.
I would think any QB would love a 6-8 TE - no way you can miss that guy getting open.

Wonder if he will commit, to hold a spot and then take visits when he can? Regardless of what he does next week, feels like his recruitment will go all the way to early/NSD.

On tos per ra ra himself he had a sitdown with his mom and decided to go ahead and keep it on schedule... before they wanted him to wait to visit other schools, but no one knows when this Rona is going away

Looking ahead.. in 2022 the Heels could be starting 2 five stars and 9 four stars with experience on defense and have quality reserves. That will be scary good.

Interesting. Bryce Steel getting a few Crystal Balls to South Carolina. I thought he was a certainty to UNC

Dameon Wilson?

boy would I love to see Dillworth, Ritzie, and Wilson all pony up.
Dameon Wilson yes. Either Dameon Wilson silently committed or UNC is holding a scholarship for another person at another position. Steele went from being a silent this weekend too all of a sudden going to SC. I have read that the commits prefer Dameon Wilson over Steele because he is friends with them.

Reactions: Archer2
Dameon Wilson yes. Either Dameon Wilson silently committed or UNC is holding a scholarship for another person at another position. Steele went from being a silent this weekend too all of a sudden going to SC. I have read that the commits prefer Dameon Wilson over Steele because he is friends with them.

One post you said Dameon Wilson committed.. this post you say maybe he committed.. so which is it?

I think Ra RA is more likely to play that position.
Doesn’t matter. We can certainly use RaRa and Dameon in our LB corp. This will be Chazz’s final season at UNC, so we need depth there, as we do at every position. Right now, building depth to the point where there isn’t a big drop off when we substitute is one of the staff’s main priorities.

We’ve got good depth at DB, WR, QB, and RB. We need more on both lines and at LB. I’ve been very glad to see this staff focus on building the line on both sides of the ball for that is where the game is won or lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncfootball-
One post you said Dameon Wilson committed.. this post you say maybe he committed.. so which is it?
Ok I was told Wilson was on board. Was confused which one. Jared or Dameon. Jared is the silent. Was told this morning that Dameon does now have a committable offer now. It wasnt recently.

Also UNC backed off steele for some reason. Injuries? Day day? Want to use a scholarship on a 4th receiver? Dont know.

Doesn’t matter. We can certainly use RaRa and Dameon in our LB corp. This will be Chazz’s final season at UNC, so we need depth there, as we do at every position. Right now, building depth to the point where there isn’t a big drop off when we substitute is one of the staff’s main priorities.

We’ve got good depth at DB, WR, QB, and RB. We need more on both lines and at LB. I’ve been very glad to see this staff focus on building the line on both sides of the ball for that is where the game is won or lost.

I know the Heels could use the depth at LB. My point was that Ra Ra was more likely to take the spot from Steele since both are more OLB/hyb. Dameon is more ILB.

FARRELL'S TAKE
”The obvious answer is Dabo Swinney as his charm coupled with his success can’t be stopped without visits. However, a huge part of the Clemson lure is selling the family feeling on campus so he’s been very good despite the lack of visits.

The coach that really stands out to me is Mack Brown who is proving he’s one of the best recruiters in the game with the job he’s doing at North Carolina. Tommy Thigpen, an elite recruiter on Brown’s staff, has also been doing an amazing job.

It’s not about innovation as every coach now is relying on Zoom and FaceTime and others methods of communication. It’s about the message and these two guys are selling it far and away better than the rest.”

FARRELL'S TAKE
”...a huge part of the Clemson lure is selling the family feeling on campus so he’s been very good despite the lack of visits....”
the biggest part is winning and being a sure fire contender for a national title. they're a dynasty now and that's very hard to recruit against.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT