ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

Here is a reason I say that to take as much talent on the DL and OL this class as we can get, we should not take any more WRs on scholarship: Corey Holliday's son Christopher is going to be a preferred walk-on.

Yes, Christopher plays DB, not WR, but not only is he his father's son (Corey was a great WR in every facet of the position) who might be turned into a quality 6-3 WR, but the fact that Mack is drawing such quality PWOs says that he can find and land top quality PWOs who expect to play WR in college. The HS game now is filled with high quality WRs, including more than a few not receiving P5 offers.

At least until we build great depth on both lines of scrimmage, sign fewer WRs while making a concerted effort to land a couple of PWO WRs each class, using the extra scholarships to sign Bigs.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Here is a reason I say that to take as much talent on the DL and OL this class as we can get, we should not take any more WRs on scholarship: Corey Holliday's son Christopher is going to be a preferred walk-on.

Yes, Christopher plays DB, not WR, but not only is he his father's son (Corey was a great WR in every facet of the position) who might be turned into a quality 6-3 WR, but the fact that Mack is drawing such quality PWOs says that he can find and land top quality PWOs who expect to play WR in college. The HS game now is filled with high quality WRs, including more than a few not receiving P5 offers.

At least until we build great depth on both lines of scrimmage, sign fewer WRs while making a concerted effort to land a couple of PWO WRs each class, using the extra scholarships to sign Bigs.
I believe they are taking 1 more receiver. First come first serve between: JJ Jones, Crowell, Pass and Blackstrain

Reactions: HeelFan58
I can't help but laugh when someone posts "I've heard" or "I was told"

Just means they read it on another site.. might be true, might be someone throwing something at the wall to see if it will stick.

I can't help but laugh when someone posts "I've heard" or "I was told"

Just means they read it on another site.. might be true, might be someone throwing something at the wall to see if it will stick.
sometimes yes but in my case if i read it i say i have read, or also read... by now everyone knows i know a guy kinda on the inside... if i hear it insay i have heard... if he says this is what is happening i always put in there that this is second hand info.

Some people don’t want you to put anything out about recruiting without sworn verification signed in blood by the recruit. I say if you’ve heard something, put it out there(as long as it’s not libelous), and people can believe it or not. Anyone who doesn’t take everything they read on the internet with a big grain of salt is being naive. Valid info or BS, let the readers decide for themselves.

sometimes yes but in my case if i read it i say i have read, or also read... by now everyone knows i know a guy kinda on the inside... if i hear it insay i have heard... if he says this is what is happening i always put in there that this is second hand info.

I wasn't referring to anyone particular just a random observation. I do enjoy reading recruiting rumors.. least it gives me an idea of who might be doing what when it's time to commit. I know some posters of various sites try to act like they have inside information when they are just repeating what someone else posted.

On a side note, saw this from a writer on another site.

"The Golden Knights were second in the country only behind National Champion LSU with 540.5 yards per play."

Bateman may have his hands full stopping that offense. Seriously, does any of these journalist proof read before posting?

I am extremely happy to land Edmonds. I watched a lot of film on him, Ship, Hend and Boykins. All look elite to me. The OL gives this guy a crease, he will house it.

Noticed all four CB prognostications for Page have him Clemson bound. I want the duo from Glenn high school to commit.
I surely would love to see Page in Carolina Blue, but Ritzie and Dilworth together would be a killer, and Williams could be as dominating a DT as Page. That trio would make me stop complaining about lack of talent on D for at least 1 signing class.

Reactions: Archer2
Any chance we offer Ethan’s son Lawson Albright? He’s a 6-5/225#/3* TE from Greensboro, ranked 35th in the state, maybe as a PWO? Ethan played 16 years in the NFL so he can afford it. He has an impressive offer list(among others MSU/UofL/Florida/UVA/VT/Wisconsin...).

Not sure that D. Wilson is a take right now with us looking great for Steele and having a 50/50 chance with RaRa. If RaRa goes to Bama, then Wilson might be a take.

Also, I doubt that Albright will walk into if has those types of offers on the table.

Any chance we offer Ethan’s son Lawson Albright? He’s a 6-5/225#/3* TE from Greensboro, ranked 35th in the state, maybe as a PWO? Ethan played 16 years in the NFL so he can afford it. He has an impressive offer list(among others MSU/UofL/Florida/UVA/VT/Wisconsin...).
What interests me about the non-offer to Lawson Albright is that we are not in the running for any of the top TEs and not all that keen on anybody else.

When that is the case. I say that taking a 3* son of an alum makes as much as sense any move and makes more sense than most.

Of course, it is possible we take no TE in the 2021 class.

What interests me about the non-offer to Lawson Albright is that we are not in the running for any of the top TEs and not all that keen on anybody else.

When that is the case. I say that taking a 3* son of an alum makes as much as sense any move and makes more sense than most.

I don't think TE is a priority in the offense we run.

I don't think TE is a priority in the offense we run.
It is not, and Longo may mean that to be permanent. But Albright is not a 6-2 250 pound TE. He is 6-5 225. He is built for being a spread offense TE, not being always right beside an OT and focused on blocking for the run game.

Albright has offers from Dook, Moo, UVA, VT, GT, BC, Pitt, Louisville, Florida, WVU, Maryland, Mich St, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin.

If we take any TE short of a consensus 4* (and I don't think any of those are leaning to UNC even a wee bit) without offering Albright, a legacy, then something is off, something is not quite right.

Miles Campbell and Bryson Nesbit are the two names I've heard mentioned the most

I'm not 100% sure what TE's role looks like in this offense. It does seem like they aren't much of a priority, from a numbers standpoint, based off last year, but hard to tell if we didn't really open up the playbook. I think Nesbit was waiting on a Clemson offer and don't know a lot about Campbell to be honest outside of us showing interest

Isn’t it thought that Boaz will likely wind up at TE? Supposedly, he’s to start out competing for or the backup QB spot.

I think Boaz moves over to TE, unless he shows out at qb. Friend of mine that a big Tarboro fan, goes to all the games was raving about Boaz at qb when they played the championship, my buddy is a duke fan.

Boaz is 6’7 and pretty athletic. Longo doesn’t really run a lot of TE designed plays but he does target them in the end zone. If Boaz has good hands and there’s no reason to think he doesn’t: could be a great TE. They have Howell for at least 2 more years, Criswell and then Maye coming in. Not saying Boaz can’t compete for a spot with those guys but TE is up for grabs.

I think Boaz moves over to TE, unless he shows out at qb. Friend of mine that a big Tarboro fan, goes to all the games was raving about Boaz at qb when they played the championship, my buddy is a duke fan.

Boaz is 6’7 and pretty athletic. Longo doesn’t really run a lot of TE designed plays but he does target them in the end zone. If Boaz has good hands and there’s no reason to think he doesn’t: could be a great TE. They have Howell for at least 2 more years, Criswell and then Maye coming in. Not saying Boaz can’t compete for a spot with those guys but TE is up for grabs.
We also have Ruder. Not sure why people have forgotten about him.

Reactions: uncboy10
We also have Ruder. Not sure why people have forgotten about him.

No disrespect to Ruder, just saying, going forward. Ruder and Sam are the same class but Ruder has been in school a year longer. Don’t see him hanging around past graduations

No disrespect to Ruder, just saying, going forward. Ruder and Sam are the same class but Ruder has been in school a year longer. Don’t see him hanging around past graduations
I see Ruder as the clear cut favorite to backup Howell this year. I’m glad we have him because in the event Sam were to be injured, it’s nice to have a backup with at least some game experience. We may see him used in some red zone packages to take advantage of his running ability.

As for Boaz, I think he’s underrated as a QB. But as @jakeallen32 said, the amount of talent we have at QB will probably see him moved elsewhere in order to receive more PT. Boaz plays basketball, is quite athletic, and I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have very good hands. I think he could excel at TE and as stated above, that position is wide open and for the taking.

I think the game plan will be opened up a little more this year and we may see the TE utilized a bit more.

Last edited:
I’d forgotten that we added a new TE coach recently. I think we’re getting a very good TE coach in John Lilly, he’s had success wherever he’s been. I’ve always thought that a very good TE is an effective weapon to have in your arsenal. We have some young, albeit talented players at this position. Time will tell if Longo uses them a bit more in year two.

”During his year in Cleveland, Lilly's tight ends produced the fourth-most TD receptions in the NFL and his unit was one of only two groups in the league that had four tight ends catch a touchdown pass.”

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Yes, we now have a large group of larger-sized DL players. If they all develop nicely, we may take no more than 2 such recruits in 2021.

Or, if the recruiting is going very well, we mat add another 3 or 4, assuming that group will be at least as good as the 2020 group.

If we are going to win the ACC and make the playoffs, we are going to need at least 8 guys who can man the 3 DL slots for every game. Factoring in injuries, that means you need to start a season with at least 10 that you have available and do not plan to redshirt. That's into a 4th team.

That's the kind of depth needed on the DL to win like Clemson and Bama.
From the first page of this thread. And that’s the kind of depth we’re developing.

RaRa ree, we want RITZIE!
RaRa ras, and YOU too in this class!

(I'll see myself out now...)
Don’t give up your day job, buddy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT