ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

A lot of people at Myers Park still don't think Drake Maye will stay committed to Alabama, but they could be wrong if Saban is really making him his number one guy like he says he is.
Being the only serious QB recruit the year after the program lands a guy that many ranked the top QB in the class.

How is that a really good deal?

Here is some sound advice I give freely to all you star HS QBs in this age of epidemic QB transferring because of lack of PT: you maximize the odds of playing early and often by not signing with a program the year after it has signed a QB who was ranked higher or the same as you.

Here is some sound advice I give freely to all you star HS QBs in this age of epidemic QB transferring because of lack of PT: you maximize the odds of playing early and often by not signing with a program the year after it has signed a QB who was ranked higher or the same as you.
Pretty sound advice.

On another site, it was stated that he’s being recruited as an OLB. His coach said they believe he will be at least 6-5 before he’s through growing. At any rate, the staff is working NC very hard, with all four of our commits from in state. Our class is now ranked 14th in very early rankings.

Welcome to the Family, Gabriel.

Last edited:
Reactions: keysersosay#1
Sorry I thought he was going to commit earlier, but Gavin Blackwell is committing next Monday! He has already told the coaches!
Now if this happens Monday...

Anyone know if we’re recruiting Kaemen Marley from Ramseur or Jack Hollifield of Shelby? Both are in ESPN’s top 20 “athletes” in the ‘21 class. ETA: we’ve offered both, in addition to Kobe Paysour, the 8th ranked “athlete” from King’s Mountain.

Our state has some very good players in this class.

Last edited:
Now if this happens Monday...

Anyone know if we’re recruiting Kaemen Marley from Ramseur or Jack Hollifield of Shelby? Both are in ESPN’s top 20 “athletes” in the ‘21 class. ETA: we’ve offered both, in addition to Kobe Paysour, the 8th ranked “athlete” from King’s Mountain.

Our state has some very good players in this class.
the staff is not really recruiting jack holliefield that hard...

from all the pundits i listen to no offense Ms. king you aren't the only one they all say Blackwell was a case of given a super high rating early, and he hasnt done anything wrong it's just that other talent is now catching up, and passing him. I don't expect him to drop to 3* status but consensus is 84 is way to high for him. that's why I said what I said.

i think every fan base thinks that and it’s not true at all. Rankings change all the time. Analysts get to see a lot of these kids in camps to check them out first hand.

If kids don’t attend these events, their stock could drop based on analysts seeing other kids to evaluate.

Reactions: matt 1976
i think every fan base thinks that and it’s not true at all. Rankings change all the time. Analysts get to see a lot of these kids in camps to check them out first hand.

If kids don’t attend these events, their stock could drop based on analysts seeing other kids to evaluate.
i agree with that, but what about the pundits saying that 84 was way to high? I believe he is a top 250 talent, but I also believe he will see a drop in his rankings..

Rankings really mean nothing. Look at Travis etienne when he came out I don’t think he was listed in the top 250 but seems to have done pretty good. Trust the staff

Rankings really mean nothing. Look at Travis etienne when he came out I don’t think he was listed in the top 250 but seems to have done pretty good. Trust the staff
Actually rankings mean a lot. There was a study done that compared rankings to draft positioning and there was no doubt that a higher ranking has a strong correlation with your college performance. I'll try to look for the article and post it here. There is always going to be exceptions, but a top ranked player is almost always going to perform better than a low ranked player.

Actually rankings mean a lot. There was a study done that compared rankings to draft positioning and there was no doubt that a higher ranking has a strong correlation with your college performance. I'll try to look for the article and post it here. There is always going to be exceptions, but a top ranked player is almost always going to perform better than a low ranked player.
This.

"41 percent of 5-stars who sign with Power 5 schools don an NFL helmet at least once in their life, compared with 10 percent of 2-stars."

And a much higher percentage of 4* are nfl'rs compared to 3*.

So yes, outliers like Mack Hollins and Javonte happen, but stars matter. Every day of the week a team of 4* will crush a team of 2* given identical coaching because football is all about size and speed, and lots of the ranking involves potential size and speed.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT