ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Thread

Kaufman to Purdue. Roy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat in the 2021 class. We're losing recruiting battles to the likes of Michigan,Purdue and Stanford. Outside of last years class and some players here and there we've struggled to recruit. Lets be honest kids outside the top 50 or so haven't done well at Carolina under Roy William's but there are some exceptions. I thought we might have turned the corner again with last years class but color me very concerned.

• Wow
Reactions: TheGLOV
The Purdue noise about the leak last night was spot on. This is huge loss for IU, as he is a southern Indiana kid. Purdue rarely gets in state kids from down in those parts over Bloomington.

Kaufman to Purdue. Roy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat in the 2021 class. We're losing recruiting battles to the likes of Michigan,Purdue and Stanford. Outside of last years class and some players here and there we've struggled to recruit. Lets be honest kids outside the top 50 or so haven't done well at Carolina under Roy William's but there are some exceptions. I thought we might have turned the corner again with last years class but color me very concerned.

I’m sure you can find something much more important in life to be this worked up and concerned about, seriously. Not trying to give you a hard time, just suggesting not to get too worked up and concerned over college basketball recruiting. Outside of one bad year last year, it’s all worked out pretty well for UNC.

Go Heels!

Sure hope we see more offers sooner than later, rather than sit on our hands and let it ride. These final 3 leave me with zero confidence.

I think the pandemic is hurting Carolina in recruiting more than most schools. Reason being, Roy has always been an excellent in-home recruiter and building personal relationships thru face to face meetings is his strong point. On the flip side, he is not tech savvy and he doesn’t utilize that social media world to recruit like many other coaches.

So, without the face to face meetings and without being able to wow a kid by getting them on campus and seeing all the legendary things that Carolina offers, Roy just isn’t able to effectively recruit the way he is good at. I don’t expect much out of this class with so many top recruits already committed elsewhere and now Roy having to offer new targets.

247 gives UNC, Kentucky, and Creighton the best chances for Salis even though he hasnt officially cut his list.

The Purdue noise about the leak last night was spot on. This is huge loss for IU, as he is a southern Indiana kid. Purdue rarely gets in state kids from down in those parts over Bloomington.
I was born in Kinston (few UNC greats from there). But the parents moved back up home in Indiana when I was young. Don't like the color red and of course all my friends and family were IU fans. So I had to be different besides liking UNC, I picked PU just to go against everyone when I wasn't pulling for UNC. Long story over but still a PU fan.
This was big get for PU. Everyone up here thought he was an IU lock they were sure of it. UNC was late on this guy and then pulled the trigger when we lost out on others. PU has awesome home games and a good coach. They are more relevant than IU right now even though IU fans still think they are. It hilarious when I get reminded about their 5 banners from a younger person.... they weren't even alive last time they won one.

I’m surprised we haven’t gotten involved with Kuluel Mading, a 6-10 forward from Burlington(‘21). He runs the court very well and is just scratching the surface of his potential. He’s supposed to announce his college destination 11-14-20.

I’m surprised we haven’t gotten involved with Kuluel Mading, a 6-10 forward from Burlington(‘21). He runs the court very well and is just scratching the surface of his potential. He’s supposed to announce his college destination 11-14-20.

I don't really follow recruiting that closely and know nothing about him. But he appears to have no offers from any major programs and only Clemson, from what I can see, from the ACC?

I see Dan McDonald from Rivals says we have a shot at a few of the top remaining players.
Sorry Dan, you don't pack a big enough grain of salt.

What are the player types we're still looking to add? Seems like we won't get Clarke.

I assume we'll lose a couple guys to the NBA/transfer, but we keep at least one of Love/Davis and one of the young bigs. Seems like we still need another big (hard to count on Manley at this point)? Probably a point guard too, as we don't really have anyone to back up whichever of the freshman PGs (presumably Davis).

I know there's not a ton of HS seniors in the top 100 left at this point, so really curious to see how we handle this.

At this point I'm not sure who we will lose. None of our Freshman have looked like sure-fire one and dones. I'd say it's near certain that we keep RJ, Kerwin, Puff, and Walker. As for Day'ron and Caleb? Who knows.

It's not impossible that they stay as well, which would mean that we don't really need to recruit anyone else. Personally I think Day'ron is on the 2-year track.

Sallis waiting until the spring is certainly helpful, because at that point we will know more about Caleb's decision.

Reactions: gauchoheel
At this point I'm not sure who we will lose. None of our Freshman have looked like sure-fire one and dones. I'd say it's near certain that we keep RJ, Kerwin, Puff, and Walker. As for Day'ron and Caleb? Who knows.

It's not impossible that they stay as well, which would mean that we don't really need to recruit anyone else. Personally I think Day'ron is on the 2-year track.

Sallis waiting until the spring is certainly helpful, because at that point we will know more about Caleb's decision.
They haven't so far. I'm hoping Caleb plays better though (we'll need him to), in which case I think there's a fair chance he leaves. Maybe not Day'ron and Kessler, though I'd be surprised if both of them and Bacot all came back. Would be very happy with two of them, and sort of expecting only one until we hear otherwise. Even this lineup seems like it could be good (if not championship level):

Davis
Harris
Puff
Leaky
Kessler

We could have very little depth potentially though, just Walton and freshman / Manley. If one of Love/Sharpe stays and we add an impact player to replace the other we'd be looking really strong.

We are in good shape for this year and next with current players. Love, Bacot, and Sharpe might leave, but it will be hard to featured in a line up that could return Davis, Puff, Walton, Leaky, and Kessler. Styles and Dunn are really good players and I have a really good feeling about Dunn, and Styles comes from a powerhouse that shares the ball, so don't be fooled by his numbers cause he is very good.

Reactions: Sk1310
They haven't so far. I'm hoping Caleb plays better though (we'll need him to), in which case I think there's a fair chance he leaves. Maybe not Day'ron and Kessler, though I'd be surprised if both of them and Bacot all came back. Would be very happy with two of them, and sort of expecting only one until we hear otherwise. Even this lineup seems like it could be good (if not championship level):

Davis
Harris
Puff
Leaky
Kessler

We could have very little depth potentially though, just Walton and freshman / Manley. If one of Love/Sharpe stays and we add an impact player to replace the other we'd be looking really strong.

Guys need to give up the ghost on Manley. Will not see him play in a Tar Heel uni again. Medical hardship from micro-fracture knee surgery and other knee/leg injuries.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Guys need to give up the ghost on Manley. Will not see him play in a Tar Heel uni again. Medical hardship from micro-fracture knee surgery and other knee/leg injuries.
I'm not counting for him for anything, even as a backup big, given his medical history. I assume there is at least a chance he plays again though since he's still on the team. He could get the scholly without putting in all that time/effort.

Just want to throw this out, I look at the recruiting threads on this board to see who we have interest in and who we have signed. I was especially interested in the 2021 recruits. In the spring of 2019, we were after(as expected) all the top players(who have since chosen other schools). There was a SG ranked in the overall top 40 (that thru family contacts, I was very aware of his interests), who had received offers from 5/6 Big 12 schools(including Kansas later in 2020). Carolina assistant coach has been aware of him for 2+ years thru correspondence. He is a huge Carolina fan(even wore Tar Heel gear on his Ok St visit). He did receive some interest from Carolina(especially lately, before he signed with Auburn). He is an honor student to boot.

In the last month(with his Auburn decision eminent), we jumped back in and delivered a quick sign on the spot offer. He decided otherwise. Surprisingly, there is still interest after the verbal. Just wanted to throw this out there, I understand the staff may have figured better use of a scholarship but in 2019 projecting forward, we needed perimeter shooters desperately. He was ours for the taking. Didn't work out.

Just want to throw this out, I look at the recruiting threads on this board to see who we have interest in and who we have signed. I was especially interested in the 2021 recruits. In the spring of 2019, we were after(as expected) all the top players(who have since chosen other schools). There was a SG ranked in the overall top 40 (that thru family contacts, I was very aware of his interests), who had received offers from 5/6 Big 12 schools(including Kansas later in 2020). Carolina assistant coach has been aware of him for 2+ years thru correspondence. He is a huge Carolina fan(even wore Tar Heel gear on his Ok St visit). He did receive some interest from Carolina(especially lately, before he signed with Auburn). He is an honor student to boot.

In the last month(with his Auburn decision eminent), we jumped back in and delivered a quick sign on the spot offer. He decided otherwise. Surprisingly, there is still interest after the verbal. Just wanted to throw this out there, I understand the staff may have figured better use of a scholarship but in 2019 projecting forward, we needed perimeter shooters desperately. He was ours for the taking. Didn't work out.
I assume you're talking about Trey Alexander, given he's the only guard Auburn has signed? I can't find any record that we ever offered him FWIW, but not sure the internet always captures offers.

If we didn't, I'm sure Roy knew about him given the asst coach interest. May have not liked something about his game.

If we did, that's a tough loss. I do understand the difficulty though with limited scholarships. Trey is ranked #63 in the 247 composite; that's a bit low for a non-NC kid for us generally. We're going after the very best players before their senior year, I think there's just too much risk otherwise.

In the last four classes only Walton and Harris have been non-NC guys and outside the top 50. Harris was a last-minute spring offer, and Walton... Not sure, Roy must've just really liked him.

gauchoheel, post:

I assume you're talking about Trey Alexander, given he's the only guard Auburn has signed? I can't find any record that we ever offered him FWIW, but not sure the internet always captures offers.

If we didn't, I'm sure Roy knew about him given the asst coach interest. May have not liked something about his game.

If we did, that's a tough loss. I do understand the difficulty though with limited scholarships. Trey is ranked #63 in the 247 composite; that's a bit low for a non-NC kid for us generally. We're going after the very best players before their senior year, I think there's just too much risk otherwise.

In the last four classes only Walton and Harris have been non-NC guys and outside the top 50. Harris was a last-minute spring offer, and Walton... Not sure, Roy must've just really liked him.

-------------------

Sure am. Sherrell wrote a "dream school" article about Trey months ago. The staff just kept in touch with him, no offer until he committed to Auburn (then conditional, hard line). He will go there and be a 4 year starter at the 2 guard and occasional point. He was ranked as high as 30 nationally before covid . It was just puzzling the way his recruiting was handled considering Carolina has not had one true shooter at the 2 guard for over 3 years. Better shooting has arrived this season but still no true 2 guard in the traditional sense. Recruiting is big business and is sometimes handled that way.

You are correct about being considered a 2 but he is best described by his coach as a scorer, slasher, great defender. Some who have seen him play, compare him to Kenny Williams. Kenny had some great shooting stretches but not a pure shooter. Dunn likewise, is not a pure shooter and will not see much much court time as a freshman. He's gonna be a good player but not next season. So at this same time next year, no knock down shooter at the 2.

At a guess, I reckon Roy is content with Puff and Kerwin. Both have already shown some shooting chops... Kerwin especially. His shot looks very smooth and he'll definately be around to keep working on his game.

Is it possible Roy thinks he's got slashers/scorers/second ball handlers to cover the #2 and he'll use his big wings for outside shooting?

I'm more concerned with post depth... especially every time the commentators drool over Sharpe and Kessler.

Random question was just wondering if there was any interest in RJ Felton maybe as preferred walk-on. May not have been good enough for a ship but as a walk-on and he could play at Carolina instead of ezu.

At a guess, I reckon Roy is content with Puff and Kerwin. Both have already shown some shooting chops... Kerwin especially. His shot looks very smooth and he'll definately be around to keep working on his game.

Is it possible Roy thinks he's got slashers/scorers/second ball handlers to cover the #2 and he'll use his big wings for outside shooting?

I'm more concerned with post depth... especially every time the commentators drool over Sharpe and Kessler.

I mean, who knows...at this point, it could be argued that Bacot is showing consistent enough growth to leave although I still think he could use one more year. Sharpe may have a man's body but definitely needs another year. If Love continues to improve, same as Bacot but again, would likely be so much improved with another year.

I mean, who knows...at this point, it could be argued that Bacot is showing consistent enough growth to leave although I still think he could use one more year. Sharpe may have a man's body but definitely needs another year. If Love continues to improve, same as Bacot but again, would likely be so much improved with another year.
Who leaves or stays will depend on where they think they can develop the most over the next year or 2. They all need development, but the league and the 100% focus on basketball, with unlimited practice time, individual coaching/trainers, etc. means that many see that as the best path to become league ready.

Sharpe is looking like a 1st round guy on boards now, so probably most likely to be gone. Bacot, I think is old for his class already, Caleb has saw his stock plummet, but still could easily get a decent look as a young project with big upside and measurables. Conceivably all 3 can go the pro route. I hope not, but very much in play.

If ALL underclassmen come back in 21-22 I am not too concerned with any more ‘21 recruits....
I'd be really surprised if both Bacot and Sharpe come back. Hoping for just one of them to stay.

Davis/Harris/Walton/Leaky/Kessler is a pretty solid starting 5 I think. If we get either Bacot or Sharpe + Love I think that's a really good team, plus we have Puff and the freshman.

From the Clubhouse APP I'm in former players usually are in there every game. A few think Sharpe is gone they think Love lotto chances are gone but if he keeps playing the way he is think he could go 1st round and may test the waters anyway and also said Bacot could play his way in the draft. David Noel, Kennedy Meeks, Brandon Robinson and Kenny Williams are the regulars in this group. Jawad Williams and Shammond Williams have been in there also.

From the Clubhouse APP I'm in former players usually are in there every game. A few think Sharpe is gone they think Love lotto chances are gone but if he keeps playing the way he is think he could go 1st round and may test the waters anyway and also said Bacot could play his way in the draft. David Noel, Kennedy Meeks, Brandon Robinson and Kenny Williams are the regulars in this group. Jawad Williams and Shammond Williams have been in there also.
Thanks for the insight and info.

Sharpe pro has grown from strong possibility to strong probability....
He could shock everyone and come back for a second year - we can all hope!!! But I think we'd be realistic to have a view he's gone. I believe Bacot will leave if he gets a draft sniff.... he aint getting younger, and his skill set and conditioning are much improved... he doesn't want a flat junior year.

So if both of those scenarios play out, the front line is going to look pretty thin...

Personally, I hope Caleb comes back, and if he does the back court will be loaded. But even if he doesn't, with Kerwin, RJ, Harris and Dunn coming in it's a pretty good unit.

We’re starting to have too many OAD’s for my liking.
Agree Arch’, but even if this team loses Sharpe, Bacot and Love there’ll be plenty of talent from this years huge class to carry over talent and experience.

And, I don’t really think Roy is recruiting OAD prospects specifically... some are just ending up that way (Coby wasn’t really considered one and I don’t think sharpe was when he committed)

Roy hasn’t recruited any extra beef up front for 2021 and it’s a situation where he could go lower in the rankings to pick up a project (the garrison type preferably)

Love is going to be a first round pick just because of his athleticism. His decision making, ball handling, and shot will keep him out of the lottery though.

Sharpe is interesting because he doesn't really fit in with the current NBA game unless he has a 3 point shot we haven't yet seen. I can't see him being in the lottery due to position.

Bacot is always going to be a hard sell for the NBA because of things outside of his play (measurements, athleticism, position, etc).

I still think Love goes no matter what as I have said all year.

Reactions: Archer2 and TheGLOV
We’re starting to have too many OAD’s for my liking.
We've never had more than one a year. I don't see it as an issue at all really. It only helps augment more junior/senior talent; the issue is Roy hasn't had those guys the last few years. Whose fault is that though? It's not because we had Coby White or Sharpe.

We have none right now for 2021 and Roy has essentially stopped recruiting Sallis. I love our approach to the 2020 and now 2021 classes.
Agree. Roy has said multiple times he wants to sprinkle in OAD's with 3-4 year players and that is exactly what he has done the last couple classes. I like the trend I am seeing for this team over the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT