ADVERTISEMENT

2022 UNC Transfer Thread

Criswell, Kim, RaRa, Nash, Hollins, Collins, Taylor, Karr, Brown, Kelly.

Kelly is the first starter to enter the portal. However, not shocking as the staff likes Hardy and Conley will be 100% come 2023.

Lol at "no-contact" periods for portal-players:

Today QB Slovis leaves PITT for the portal.
Also today BC's QB Phil Jurkovich hit the portal and immediately joins PITT
To be fair, Jurkovich is from the area and gets to play under his former OC. I'm sure that's been on the radar for a while.

Probably not enough. Roster management has been one of this staff's biggest issues.
Horton was a good DL recruit. He plays for a really good HS at a high level. Look at the in-state DL talent we've missed on this cycle. Those guys aren't a luxury. They're a necessity. And the odds you're going to land a good one from the portal are closed to zero.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Horton was a good DL recruit. He plays for a really good HS at a high level. Look at the in-state DL talent we've missed on this cycle. Those guys aren't a luxury. They're a necessity. And the odds you're going to land a good one from the portal are closed to zero.
On the one hand, the team has a bunch of very highly regarded former recruits on the DL. On the other hand, our DL plays weak almost all the time, so losing anyone who might be a tough addition to an underachieving DL hurts.

The past 4 seasons have had UNC football with then 2 best QBs in program history, and yet the team has not come close to an ACC Championship. The main reason is that the team loses battles on the LOS, both sides of the LOS, most games. The other obvious weaknesses can be overcome at least somewhat, and perhaps significantly, if the LOS is won.

On the one hand, the team has a bunch of very highly regarded former recruits on the DL. On the other hand, our DL plays weak almost all the time, so losing anyone who might be a tough addition to an underachieving DL hurts.

The past 4 seasons have had UNC football with then 2 best QBs in program history, and yet the team has not come close to an ACC Championship. The main reason is that the team loses battles on the LOS, both sides of the LOS, most games. The other obvious weaknesses can be overcome at least somewhat, and perhaps significantly, if the LOS is won.
I've said it for two years. You don't need a Heisman QB to win the ACC. It's a LOS game.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Criswell, Kim, RaRa, Nash, Hollins, Collins, Taylor, Karr, Brown, Kelly.

Kelly is the first starter to enter the portal. However, not shocking as the staff likes Hardy and Conley will be 100% come 2023.
So are we done at 10? You'd think guys would want to get their name out their ASAP. And you'd think most would have their mind made up by now unless they're are waiting on coaching-change-news or post-bowl performance/PT.

So are we done at 10? You'd think guys would want to get their name out their ASAP. And you'd think most would have their mind made up by now unless they're are waiting on coaching-change-news or post-bowl performance/PT.
Grimes is 50/50, I lean more on him leaving. I expect for a RB, WR and at least 1 more guy on the DL to hit the portal.

• Wow
Reactions: blazers
TOS is debating a third DC in three years and landing top DL transfers lol. Sometimes I wonder if half our fan base lives in a portal.
It sounds like something needs to happen. I don't know how you could get a new DC to come in before a bowl game, but you could maybe make some changes to position coaches. The timing of the portal opening is probably the worst part of the portal.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
It sounds like something needs to happen. I don't know how you could get a new DC to come in before a bowl game, but you could maybe make some changes to position coaches. The timing of the portal opening is probably the worst part of the portal.
It's the absolute worse timing possible -- conference championship, recruiting, portal opens. Whatever changes we make, and you know me, I'm wasn't a Chizik fan from day one, we're probably going to pay. You're telling someone like Travis Shaw, not only are you not playing in the same system for the guy that recruited you, but now you're not going to have the same position coach either, or maybe yet another new DC. I have no idea how that's going to work out. Bound to be some fallout. Of course the alternative probably isn't great either.

Only way to stop the bleeding (on the defensive side) is to make big changes to the staff and bring in some coaches that players can believe in. Perhaps Chizik goes for the greater good. This defense has been exposed all year as a poor defense, whether is scheme or development hence the mass exodus. Players from other schools see this. How can you convince a defensive player to transfer to the same mess. These players transferring also likely see some things that the average fan can't see regarding this team and staff.

Grimes was a product of poor coaching and development. Like many of the others on that side.
A lot of it is on the player as well. Remember when the punch to Taylor occurred? Go back and look at who the players backed after the confrontation. Making too many business decisions on tackles etc.

Only way to stop the bleeding (on the defensive side) is to make big changes to the staff and bring in some coaches that players can believe in. Perhaps Chizik goes for the greater good. This defense has been exposed all year as a poor defense, whether is scheme or development hence the mass exodus. Players from other schools see this. How can you convince a defensive player to transfer to the same mess. These players transferring also likely see some things that the average fan can't see regarding this team and staff.
Chizik is handcuffed by the D staff that Mack hired. Just like Bateman was.

Reactions: chickenhunter
This is Chizik and Warren’s scheme. Bend but don’t break and have the LB make plays.
It is not their pattern to have such awful tackling skills, especially at DB. I doubt that you saw the analysis that Klubnik's passes were caught for only 81 yards, and the rest of the yardage came from poor tackling and other issues in lack of fundamentals.

A D with lack of fundamentals is a D with lousy position coaches. Mack chose that group, and he may plan to go down with that group. If I were Chizik, I would give Mack the ultimatum: either I get to replace any D position coaches I want replaced with who I want on the job, or I quit.

It is not their pattern to have such awful tackling skills, especially at DB. I doubt that you saw the analysis that Klubnik's passes were caught for only 81 yards, and the rest of the yardage came from poor tackling and other issues in lack of fundamentals.

A D with lack of fundamentals is a D with lousy position coaches. Mack chose that group, and he may plan to go down with that group. If I were Chizik, I would give Mack the ultimatum: either I get to replace any D position coaches I want replaced with who I want on the job, or I quit.
Yet we were significantly better in the secondary and at getting pressure last year with arguably less talent against better competition. What changed?

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
My Arkansas friend says that Criswell is visiting Fayetteville this week. For those who do not know, criswell was not offered a committable scholarship to Arkansas coming out of HS because AR had a commitment from Chandler Morris in the same class. My friend also says that Hugh Frieze has already contacted Criswell.

Morris left when his father was fired, and started for TCU this year until injury knocked him out for the season.

My Arkansas friend says that Criswell is visiting Fayetteville this week. For those who do not know, criswell was not offered a committable scholarship to Arkansas coming out of HS because AR had a commitment from Chandler Morris in the same class. My friend also says that Hugh Frieze has already contacted Criswell.

Morris left when his father was fired, and started for TCU this year until injury knocked him out for the season.
I happy that Criswell will get an opportunity to play. I think he's a pretty good QB.

Reactions: Realfreedom
ESPNU radio is saying that Drake has been offered $5 mil to go somewhere, wouldn't say who, CBS reporting it also

I know we struggle with this portal but it’s a disaster everywhere…. Read where Alabama has had 11 players entered already and our bowl opponent Oregon has had at least 13!! Yes UNC needs to get some things straightened out in multiple areas but I wouldn’t consider our situation as a dumpster fire.

Last edited:
I know we struggle with this portal but it’s a disaster everywhere…. Read where Alabama has had 11 players entered already and our bowl opponent Oregon has had at least 13!! Yes UNC needs to get some things straightened out in multiple areas but I wouldn’t consider our situation as a dumpster fire.
Agreed, but people are going to see it the way they see it. If we had a bunch of big time starters jumping ship, then I would be worried. Right now it's just depth issues. No big time hits so far.

ETA: This is why I think the portal will help with parity. Instead of guys "waiting their turn" at a place like Alabama, they are going to look elsewhere. The big guys won't be able to stockpile talent like they used to.

Last edited:
but you would expect Alabama to lead in portal entries seeing as how their depth would start at most places. Portal or otherwise, I consider our situation as a dumpster fire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT